Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 111

Author Topic: Mong Kima - The Nation of Pearls (DF 0.47.05)  (Read 239087 times)

Zefermcdwarfpants

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mong Kima - The Nation of Pearls
« Reply #930 on: February 17, 2018, 05:07:50 pm »

Just unrar the file in data>save

I'll just ask you to wait your turn to begin the adventure, so we can have one canon storyline, but feel free to roam around, it's good training :D
Oh no worries. I'll go genocide a few towns train while we wait in the amazing adventures of our goblina
"Men! On my count!"
"Wait!" A waitress comes running out from the kitchen. "He is the new leader!"
"Why should we believe you?"
The waitress picks up the plate of waffles, and hands it to the man.
"The flag is in the waffles."
"Oh. That works then." Zefer becoming Leader of IHOP

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #931 on: February 17, 2018, 06:10:23 pm »

So sorry to bother you, but do you have any preference for stuff like haircut and all? Else she seems really cute. Also congratulations, your companion is the father of the king of Lumong, in the deep, deep south. He's an old man who apparently likes to travel incognito.

Truely he seems super interesting. Polite and super humble ; "I don't agree but, what do I know I'm the stupid one" while his son rules over two thousand men :D

Ha, seriously?  I did look through legends but I didn't even think of looking him up.  He was just the first soldier I happened to encounter so I assumed he was just some random nobody.

And yeah, he's almost frustratingly humble.  I was hoping to get a companion that would argue sometimes to get Sisha to change her values and personality over time (she's very self-centered, more interested in fighting for fighting's sake and not too cut out for heroism except when family is involved or she feels she has a duty to perform) but his tendency to drop any argument makes that impossible.  I'm going to need to find a new companion for character development's sake.

As for hairstyle, no real preference.  I imagine her as something of a wild tomboy so maybe something that reflects that...?

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #932 on: February 17, 2018, 09:33:13 pm »

I, too, am amused that the cat butts into the conversation.  Headbutts.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #933 on: February 17, 2018, 09:49:33 pm »

The Land of Confining, deep into the south, is so foreign to us that it might aswell be another world. A few pearlite have ever travelled to this hot continent, and we know nothing about its people, its customs, and its political landscape.
The few accounts we have come from researches we conducted, following attacks from vampire and werebeasts, for almost all of them come from this place.

So far, we know that place is divided in four. Into the east coast, is the kingdom of Xakedgil. In the west, the goblin lands of Sotukosta. The small kingdom of Luhmong occupies the southern shores and the dwarves of Orzulban fend for their lives in the central mountains.

The people of Xakedgil form a warring kingdom and is the major player in the regional political landscape. Whereas most human kingdoms - Mong Kima being the first among them - find contentment in fending off goblins, Xakedgil goes way further, launching expeditions into the monster's territory and taking an offensive stance in most manners. Their people are very brave, and their culture - held dear above other considerations such as the law of their lord- rewards displays of bravery.

Politically speaking, Xakedgil is ruled by Queen Asi, who took the crown after the peaceful death of her father, King Devsem in 125. She maintained somewhat cordial relations with her neighbours, but we wouldn't be surprized to see war rise again during our lifetime.

It was during the rule of King Devsem that a small, lightning fast war occured between Xakedgil and Sotukosta. The men of Xakedgil, loyal to their reputation, took the initiative and marched with a formidable force toward the pit of Greedmonster. The king led the attack ; the defense was led by the demon Rikkir, master of the goblins of the Land of Confining himself.

The battle was absolutely fierce, and Xakedgil had the upperhand during most of the fight, forcing the goblins and their demon master to shelter themselves into their fortress, where an assault would not be possible. Seing most of their forces anihilated, the goblins begged for peace - and it was granted.

It was some twenty years ago now.

At the time, Gil was only a footsoldier in Xakedgil's army. However, due to his bravery, he was upon his return rewarded with the position of commander of his hometown. He would then train his children and the volonteers ofhis villages to the art of the crossbow, and lived since then a peaceful life. All in all, Gil was a rather unremarkable man in a remote village, in a land far away.

Only one thing made him stood up ; his adopted daughter, Sisha, he found during a patrol near his town.

Goblins in human kingdoms are not an unknown phenomena. In Mong Kima even, we have quite a few. But goblins raised in a human family are still something worthy of some eyebrow rising. Gil educated Sisha with his own children, like she was his natural daughter. At first, it was accepted because he was a decorated veteran - then it was accepted because the young goblin adopted the local customs as a matter of course.

Yet, no one really doubted that the presence of the commander was the determining factor in that seemingly peaceful resolution. Gil was now aging, and Sisha instinctively knew she would have to prove her mettle by herself at some point.

"Remember you can come back anytime you want" he said to her. "Ardentstar is your home, and I'll always have a room for you".

Sisha knew that ; he had told that to her a billion times. She still had to leave - not only her goblin blood was pushing her to action, but she knew she had to gain the respect of the people by herself. Becoming an adventurer might not be the safest way, but in this time of relative peace, it was the most straightforward.

"Who know, maybe you'll miss home someday?" But she had already taken her decision. To end the embarassing silence that followed, he added, on a very serious tone : "What I told you about your great grandfather...stays between us, alright?"
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 09:53:35 pm by Cathar »

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #934 on: February 18, 2018, 05:14:32 am »

I might take a turn next to becoma a writer. I haven't played adventurer mode in a long time, thou, so it might end badly.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #935 on: February 18, 2018, 07:30:49 am »

I might take a turn next to becoma a writer. I haven't played adventurer mode in a long time, thou, so it might end badly.

Shall I put you after Zefer in the turn list?
Also have a quick sketch of Kofi, the death seeking king of Luhmong

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #936 on: February 18, 2018, 09:10:27 am »

After, I need to get back into it first.
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #937 on: February 18, 2018, 11:36:44 am »

My, you work fast.  I'll add a bit more of the journey here until I can write it properly.

Shortly after this scene, the duo ran into a giant alligator (Workboards the Decisive Hold), a giant crocodile (Failureshoves), AND an alligator woman (Mobbedforded), all of them wandering around the back alleys of Bristletundras.  (Two of them are visible in the map from the last post).  Sisha made two bone rings, one from the alligator and one from the crocodile, as trophies.

Sisha and Kofi then headed south, and finally reached Relicfaint...

Spoiler: A Charming Bloodsucker (click to show/hide)
"I'm not going to kill him...Not like this.  That would be murder."
"But what of all the people he murdered?"
"It isn't my problem."

"He's probably a werebeast."
"Not my problem."

"You are a protector of the innocent, Sisha."
"Eh?  I just wanted some better weapons."

"I'm not sure if you've noticed, Sisha...but it looks like we're being followed by some trackers."
"Good to know.  Maybe we've picked up some fans."
"I doubt it."

The pair also wandered into a bandit's camp and stole some iron armor and gauntlets.  They were too big for Sisha, but it fit Kofi just fine.  The leader was sleeping, but Sisha decided not to kill him.

Shortly after...

Next stop is Playeddear.  Many of the evil creatures seem to have originated in a temple there...

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #938 on: February 18, 2018, 01:08:08 pm »

The Cathedral of Bravery in the year 34 of our calendar, in the city of Spishabtor, under Xakedgil's rule. It was meant to honor Galka, the local goddess of dreams. It is a squared building, held on rough stone pillars, under a roof made of copper, adorned with statues.

For more than one hundred years, the Cathedral acted as a beacon for lost souls. Those who were lost or were looking for a reason to live would often make the trip to Spishabtor, and upon making an offering to Galka, would find the inner strengh to follow their dreams and carve their own lifepath. Inner strengh, the power of will to follow one's true fate, this was the purpose of this piece of architecture.

It is actively taken care of by a group of priests, led by the first of them, holding the title of Sacred Guard, currently a man by the name of Esu.

But the temple also has its dark side, for those failing to muster their inner strengh are cursed with living a nightmare for eternity. Such  was the fate of Lipi, the previous sacred guard, who ended up turned as a turtle like monster, roaming the night in search of blood, only to end its half-life near the walls of Watershield in 133.

The temple of Galka remains, however, as it is meant to be ; a place to find answers. There could not be a better place to start a journey of self-discovery.

My, you work fast.  I'll add a bit more of the journey here until I can write it properly.

The key to me is to be absolutely relentless :D Also liking your character helps me to find motivation. I am a big fan so far, the fact you spared the first two bandits really speaks well of your character in my books. Truely heroic !
Do you intend to romanticize the journey once you're done? If so I'll just give you some lore pointers and follow your journey from a bit afar, so as not to cut grass under your feet.

Also as a side note, with her tone of skin, Sisha probably is not a local goblina, she looks like she is of Osme upbringing. Maybe that can be a story worth telling?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 01:42:38 pm by Cathar »

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #939 on: February 18, 2018, 01:47:15 pm »

I had a sort of character arc planned, but DF aggressively resists railroading, so I'm basically going to go with the flow, act more-or-less in character, and hope a story emerges.  So don't concern yourself too much with upending my plans.

The basic character outline for Sisha is that she is fairly selfish (considers sacrifice to be worthless, note the tavern conversation), has a hot temper and basically looks for excuses to get into a fight, but won't kill someone in cold blood.  But if pushed far enough, her "goblin side" can come out and she becomes terrifyingly sadistic (can be indicated by red glowing eyes).  Her character arc is supposed to be learning the value of sacrifice.

Ogzu...the name sounds familiar.  I think we passed through that camp but I don't remember anything happening there.  Or was it the place that I raided for iron armor?  Maybe someone noticed.

Also as a side note, with her tone of skin, Sisha probably is not a local goblina, she looks like she is of Osme upbringing. Maybe that can be a story worth telling?
I was considering this very idea (especially since Thrathnu, the evil god that is, is responsible for raising the demon that rules over Osme IIRC).  Though I have encountered a fair number of greyskins in the area, they are a minority.

EDIT:

We sought out Ogzu's camp.  Can't have anyone sending assassins after us and getting away with it.
He seemed to be alone...

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #940 on: February 18, 2018, 03:21:00 pm »

Dude got what he deserved, apparently Kofi agrees. One less bandit blighting the land !
By the way, did you acquire more gear? Besides the hammer?

Edit : Also, for going with the flow, really that's what I imagined from the start. Story happen naturally, just stay in character, maybe we won't have a good ending but we'll have a good story. Hell I'm sure we could just go from place to place and make it interesting. The travel matters more than the destination
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 03:26:58 pm by Cathar »

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #941 on: February 18, 2018, 03:30:33 pm »

INTERMISSION

Though Thrathnu Scorchedsculpts the Murder of Skulls was perhaps the most infamous of the deities that held sway over the Land of Confining, he was hardly the sole cause of the horrors that plagued the land.  Rirdest Worthygladness the Lovely Cradle of Ramparts, goddess of sacrifice and generosity, was no less vengeful to those who dared profane her temple in the city of Playeddear.

And yet, there are those who say that even a curse may be a blessing in disguise, to those who had faith in her.

Mudung Plungedgloss was an ardent worshiper of the goddess.  Perhaps it was his foolish devotion to a foreign deity that drove him to desecrate the shrine in the Cathedral of Bravery, earning him the curse of eternal life from Galka, goddess of dreams.

Though it is said that one god may not undo the deeds of another, perhaps the pity of Rirdest drove her to bring Mudung a companion to accompany him throughout the future ages.  Stran Sneakeddesert and Mudung were brought together in unholy matrimony in the year 71, and they enjoyed many years together.

But it was not to last.

Stran was forced to flee, eventually making her way north, to the Nation of Pearls.  Mudung became a scholar until Devsem Meadowguises, Law-Giver of the Steamy Unions, confronted the vampire and forced him to flee for the hamlet of Clusterflicker.

Nevertheless, Mudung never lost hope of one day, perhaps after civilization had crumbled and only the last immortal beings remained, that he would one day see his beloved again.

This hope, too, was taken from him.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #942 on: February 18, 2018, 03:33:46 pm »

Will the save be open for Fortress mode at any time in the future? As in weeeeeel inti the future, once the nation nphas learned stonework at least.
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #943 on: February 18, 2018, 03:36:35 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The story of Stran and Mudung is a greek tragedy. Never saw Mudung, but if he's on your way don't hesitate to pay him a visit

Will the save be open for Fortress mode at any time in the future? As in weeeeeel inti the future, once the nation nphas learned stonework at least.

Sure thing, but not before we have a reason to start a new fort :D Right now I'd prefer to just explore the world and do cool things, get some heroes to rise and allow people to enjoy the world at a more personal level
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 03:42:39 pm by Cathar »

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #944 on: February 18, 2018, 03:38:24 pm »

I did say it was far in the future. Because I don't have an extremely specific evil plan underway. Nope.
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 111