Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How fun is SPAMKINGDOM series?

Mind-bogglingly popular game series that you follow from early on and cannot stop, waiting for new installment like a drooling addict.
Long-runner soap opera you're too invested into to just stop watching it.
A fun little comic strip in the daily newspaper that's been around forever.
3/6
Who said it's fun? I didn't for sure.
I'm just waiting here for it to die horribly already so it will stop showing on my Unread Posts list.

Pages: 1 ... 474 475 [476] 477 478 ... 1087

Author Topic: SPAMKINGDOM#: Emperor Houlandin IV of Methiant-Cydwyl!  (Read 750234 times)

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
Re: SPAMKINGDOM#: Emperor Cyl I of Methiant!
« Reply #7125 on: February 07, 2018, 09:34:55 pm »

Rights are for losers! Just let the Emperor make all the decisions for you and everything will be FINE.

Our happiness is kinda fucked as-is, and given that every rebellion has been about our oppressive rule. . .
we could try being less oppressive

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7126 on: February 07, 2018, 09:35:43 pm »

passage tax will likely give us a 1 eco bonus, a the cost to a -1 on trade goods rolls.

Passage Tax
+1
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #7127 on: February 07, 2018, 09:46:47 pm »

You mean, like creating some sort of legal code that gives basic protections and protections from abuse for all citizens?
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #7128 on: February 07, 2018, 09:58:42 pm »

A bill of rights would be nice, but let's not forget the outrage we had when we tried to create the council. A bill of rights would drive the nobility over the edge.
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7129 on: February 07, 2018, 10:07:13 pm »

You mean, like creating some sort of legal code that gives basic protections and protections from abuse for all citizens?
No, no, we shouldn't codify it, because then when we later do need to abuse our citizens we'll just have problems. Instead, we should just be informally nicer to them so they stop wanting silly things like "rights".

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7130 on: February 07, 2018, 10:17:37 pm »

Being an empire lets our resources potentially grow to 12.

HOWEVER, even when as a kingdom we could grow to 10, our army asked for more budget at 7:

Right. So, we can go up to 12, and we had the option to increase spending to increase that to 14, which we took, but then dropped down to 12 to lower spending. It doesn't seem super likely that we'll be stuck on 8 after all that, even if we have to pay more money to go up (but that seemed to be connected, potentially, to being a kingdom) that sounds fine to me.

I understood that request to imply that the Professional Army rules capped at 7 or 8 regardless of how the other resources went. I see why you might interpret it differently; since we've not ever been told clearly that we're stuck I can hardly say, "Aha! There's the cap!"

Then of course, if you do not believe we are near the cap you will have far less urgency to repeal recruitment. Nevertheless my opinion is that we don't need it when the army is in moderate shape and that we can spend that money more profitably or just more interestingly elsewhere.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Depends. It is hard to make long term plans in this game, but now that we have Leath the Peacemaker to bail us out of any wars that go bad, I'm not opposed to just fighting until our army is depleted, resting until it is restored, and repeating for as long as Cyl lives and we have good excuses to fight.

That sounds reprehensibly irresponsible to me. I doubt we ought to count on Leath as a hard counter to every threat: what of beasts, dragons, people with negotiators of their own, or who just refuse to talk? And again, our army does grow without it: to the extent that Leath-leveraging would work, it does just as well with a bit more delay between conquests.

We should promote more innovations than fireblood designs. Do you wish to be known as one who understands only the words violence and money, but with less money? New territories rarely contain notable resources right away. They suck resources from rebuilding and discontent instead. We need decently sized periods of peace for the people to prosper and create new opportunities for investment and discovery.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7131 on: February 07, 2018, 10:59:56 pm »

We should promote more innovations than fireblood designs. Do you wish to be known as one who understands only the words violence and money, but with less money? New territories rarely contain notable resources right away. They suck resources from rebuilding and discontent instead. We need decently sized periods of peace for the people to prosper and create new opportunities for investment and discovery.

That is what Cyl's successor can do. Cyl is a conqueror. Somebody else can develop the Empire later.

If we can get away with Marching both Cyl and one of his Martial sons, we can take a +3 bonus to most of our rolls while fighting an offensive war. Cyl will not be around forever, so we should exploit that while we can.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7132 on: February 07, 2018, 11:03:38 pm »

Then of course, if you do not believe we are near the cap you will have far less urgency to repeal recruitment. Nevertheless my opinion is that we don't need it when the army is in moderate shape and that we can spend that money more profitably or just more interestingly elsewhere.

Considering the potential threats we have, leaving the army just in "moderate" shape really doesn't seem to be good enough. If the dwarves bust down our doors with another 20k, or an empire attacks, or whatever, we really don't wanta be pissing about with only 7 army because we spent it on things "just more interestingly elsewhere". That seems "reprehensibly irresponsible" to me. Besides, we can and do just cut normal army funding when we need the cash anyway. Which is equivalent to cutting the edict, except it doesn't cost us two years of edicts and 2 imperial authority. So until we want to shut down the army entirely it seems like that's a better and more flexible cost saving measure than cutting the edict anyway.

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7133 on: February 07, 2018, 11:55:29 pm »

I think you misunderstand my priorities. I do not foresee "toggling" the recruitment edict at any time in the next decade at least, because I believe we fundamentally cannot afford it. Nor shall we afford any of the other more interesting things of which I spoke until we get more revenue. (And I've included the Passage Tax in that estimate!) No army will protect us from bankruptcy, and while there may be an opportunity to go mercenary I can't predict as much. I do know that we have two loans coming due in the next few years and our economy is currently 1. Besides our army suffers penalties to battle and "natural" recruitment if unfunded, I think you just told me we need a stronger army so we'll pay for it by weakening our army.

Change to Establish Passage Tax.
Since I'm not convincing anybody I'll switch tactics this year and see where the scrolls end up next.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7134 on: February 08, 2018, 12:05:24 am »

A good army can earn money if you are ruthless enough. The dwarves, for example, used theirs to buy eight years worth of Methianese Silver and a fuckton of human slaves.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #7135 on: February 08, 2018, 12:08:33 am »

Maybe once we build our army back up, we tell the dwarves that we've simply decided they're not worthy of the remainder of the treaty money.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7136 on: February 08, 2018, 12:35:52 am »

Maybe once we build our army back up, we tell the dwarves that we've simply decided they're not worthy of the remainder of the treaty money.

That is a good way to wind up fighting a defensive war. If we fight the dwarves, we might as well bring the fight to them to get our conqueror's bonus and a chance to take their land.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7137 on: February 08, 2018, 02:41:53 am »

Let's not be known as breaking oaths for peace treaties.  People might start demanding more or refusing to negotiate at all.

Remember how angry we were when they sent assassins to a peace talk?  Both times we burned an entire city to the ground.

...thinking of that, we haven't had anyone attack us while offering peace for a long time, maybe that actually became a well known thing?

Establish Passage Tax

While a bill of rights will help happiness (for FREE I might as, a bargain!) we need MONEY.

We should NOT do the settlement policy until we have spending under control and more income.  This is basically the colonize action in EU4 and let me tell you, that can bankrupt you fast!

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #7138 on: February 08, 2018, 02:47:13 am »

passage tax will likely give us a 1 eco bonus, a the cost to a -1 on trade goods rolls.

Passage Tax
+1
+1
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
  • disco-froggin' since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #7139 on: February 08, 2018, 10:41:46 am »

Passage Tax
+1
+1
+1
Pages: 1 ... 474 475 [476] 477 478 ... 1087