Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How fun is SPAMKINGDOM series?

Mind-bogglingly popular game series that you follow from early on and cannot stop, waiting for new installment like a drooling addict.
Long-runner soap opera you're too invested into to just stop watching it.
A fun little comic strip in the daily newspaper that's been around forever.
3/6
Who said it's fun? I didn't for sure.
I'm just waiting here for it to die horribly already so it will stop showing on my Unread Posts list.

Pages: 1 ... 1008 1009 [1010] 1011 1012 ... 1087

Author Topic: SPAMKINGDOM#: Emperor Houlandin IV of Methiant-Cydwyl!  (Read 750321 times)

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
Re: SPAMKINGDOM#: Emperor Houlandin III of Methiant-Cydwyl!
« Reply #15135 on: September 26, 2018, 02:47:33 am »

I am all for plan "Bill of Rights".

First crush the nobles utterly, then give the commons a big boost. It will be impossible for the nobles to ever recover once the commons get used to the new state of affairs, and the merchant class will become ardent supporters if we can give them a bone or two.

EDIT: A standing army beholden to the king is one part of then end of the nobility. Once the king no longer needs noble levies to wage war, nobles start to lose power. Add in support of the commons and the power of the king is unassailable (after all, who makes up the armies?). A bill of rights can be spun as "something we always wanted to do, but the big bad nobles never let us".
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 03:02:10 am by milo christiansen »
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

TankKit

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably writing something.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15136 on: September 26, 2018, 04:24:48 am »

But what about how the other countries and their nobles will react? I doubt they'll be very happy, and if we ever to attack a country with a lot of nobles they'll likely fight even harder since they know that if they lose they will literally lose everything. And the peasants could get greedy too, since it has been proven time and time again that nearly everyone in the SPAMKINGDOM universe is selfish in one way or another. In fact I think the only real exceptions are most of Cydwyl, the wizards, a kingdom in one of the older SPAMKINGDOM games and more recently the Sim Empire. That's all of the relatively selfless people I can think of off the top of my head.

EDIT: Also, leaders shunning the nobles to get the support of the people only to get killed by those very same nobles is surprisingly common.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 04:29:12 am by TankKit »
“I would stop you from doing unholy experiments with my people, but I don’t actually care about their well-being and I kinda want to see what happens”

Spoken like a true god TankKit.

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #15137 on: September 26, 2018, 04:31:53 am »

But what about how the other countries and their nobles will react? I doubt they'll be very happy, and if we ever to attack a country with a lot of nobles they'll likely fight even harder since they know that if they lose they will literally lose everything. And the peasants could get greedy too, since it has been proven time and time again that nearly everyone in the SPAMKINGDOM universe is selfish in one way or another. In fact I think the only real exceptions are most of Cydwyl, the wizards, a kingdom in one of the older SPAMKINGDOM games and more recently the Sim Empire. That's all of the relatively selfless people I can think of off the top of my head.

EDIT: Also, leaders shunning the nobles to get the support of the people only to get killed by those very same nobles is surprisingly common.

I mean, they already have rights to the south, so the reverse might apply to us if we don't do it. I don't think it's likely in any case. Most people are fully committed if they are going to war at all.

It really feels like you are grasping at straws here.
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

TankKit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15138 on: September 26, 2018, 04:49:58 am »

When'd the South get rights? I thought they had slavery down there? Because if they do have rights then, considering how much land that is, i'm all in for the Bill of Rights when and if we ever plan on attacking that area, which may be troublesome since they have done pretty good at not falling apart so far. As for the fully committing to war thing, I'm pretty sure people who will lose everything if they lose are still likely to fight harder than if they will only lose some things. At least if you won't lose everything you could always choose to surrender.

Also, why do you think I'm grasping at straws?
“I would stop you from doing unholy experiments with my people, but I don’t actually care about their well-being and I kinda want to see what happens”

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15139 on: September 26, 2018, 09:09:19 am »

The general population of various southern lands do have rights, as described in or cartographers report, and those rights appear to contribute to both cultural and economic security. Whether that works in Methiant-Cydwyl, where the rulers have always been a bit paranoid about sharing power with anyone, cannot be known. They also keep slaves in the farther parts of the south, primarily dark elves or (human) foreigners by the sound of it, according to the same report.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 09:12:13 am by mightymushroom »

TankKit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15140 on: September 26, 2018, 09:22:42 am »

I will admit, I am now heavily tempted to get the Bill of Rights since it is highly likely that we will eventually have to expand down south. In fact, yeah, I'ma go for the Bill of Rights. While I still think that the immediate benefits could be better if we wait, the immediate benefits now are okay and the long term benefits are also pretty good either way. Who knows, maybe doing it relatively early like this will provide further benefits as well.

Basil ii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15141 on: September 26, 2018, 11:01:29 am »

In fact, yeah, I'ma go for the Bill of Rights
shouldn’t we wait on till we have positive imperial authority before we enact a edict? The switch to absolute monarchy did take 2 points off our authority pool after all...
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 11:14:52 am by Basil ii »

TankKit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15142 on: September 26, 2018, 11:26:20 am »

Obviously.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #15143 on: September 27, 2018, 09:59:49 am »

You decide to ask Sigurd of Helliste to push against the nobles from the north.

1212 AD, End of the Year

You await this moment. The Scrolls of Kingdom Status need to be read!

And read they will be!

1, 4to6(1to3)

Happiness: 4
Population: 8
Economy: 6
Army: 8
Imp.Authority: -1

"Emperor, the Army failed to procured any recruits this year, but its numbers are still very high. Meanwhile, the workings of the Council and your Crown managed to fix the Imperial Authority somewhat."

"Would you like to issue an Edict, Emperor?"

A) "No."
B) "Gladly!"

You're also given an update on the map of the Empire, but because rebel activity and influence is not yet known, there's nothing really to see.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15144 on: September 27, 2018, 10:02:16 am »

A

Basil ii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15145 on: September 27, 2018, 10:17:56 am »

A we don’t have positive authority yet
« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 10:19:37 am by Basil ii »

TankKit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15146 on: September 27, 2018, 10:18:00 am »

A We need to wait until we have positive imperial authority first, as has already been mentioned.

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #15147 on: September 27, 2018, 10:28:11 am »

A

B
« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 01:15:51 pm by helmacon »
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15149 on: September 27, 2018, 10:45:33 am »

B

I believe it is prudent to see if anything is added or lost following the change in government; our new, more dictatorial style may not even permit a Bill of Rights. However we may have manor confiscation options, as we did fighting the Alldivines. Only Haspen knows, and I want to, too.
Pages: 1 ... 1008 1009 [1010] 1011 1012 ... 1087