Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 27

Author Topic: Shadows among the Stars (OOC/Planning/Accepting Character Signups)  (Read 17726 times)

tntey

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Fishbone for its ska
    • View Profile
Re: Shadows among the Stars (2nd Round of Votes)
« Reply #60 on: June 26, 2017, 05:05:48 pm »

+1 to the world idea
Speaking of lowest intelligence, that reminds me of the fact that it's probably your first time in prison. Don't worry, I can give you some tips, having spent some time in a few myself. The best way to make friends here is to drop the soap during shower time. Try it, I'm sure you'll love making friends like that!

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 26, 2017, 05:18:39 pm »

Really, anything allowing us to be self-sufficient (i.e. not needing to rely on trade to get food) works well enough for me, though I'd prefer if we had enough surplus to not need to be so strict about people's lives...
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 26, 2017, 05:20:24 pm »

Taricus, thank you for your space Nazi ideas and terrible communist fantasies. I'm not bitter about the Nazi decision, even if you did Nazi the consequences

Joking aside, why off Earth not? Oh wait...
All jokes aside, this is a nation, not some collective of nomads in a small clan or whatever. We could absolutely have cobbled together huge worldships with sections of our homeworld's terrain. In fact, it likely would've happened no matter what to alleviate Space Cabin Fever, otherwise you might as well travel in regular old battleships and stop at every planet instead, whereas I'm assuming "Small and secretive nation doing OK, on the sidelines of the universe, as it were"

Basically: We can have plenty of food and water, and no rationing, because rapid water reprocessing and surplus of food. Your value will be as a person, not as a part of this fleet. It's a NATION in SPACE, Taricus, not Fascism And The Navy With A Few Useless Onlookers.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 26, 2017, 05:23:12 pm »

Taricus, thank you for your space Nazi ideas and terrible communist fantasies. I'm not bitter about the Nazi decision, even if you did Nazi the consequences

Joking aside, why off Earth not? Oh wait...
All jokes aside, this is a nation, not some collective of nomads in a small clan or whatever. We could absolutely have cobbled together huge worldships with sections of our homeworld's terrain. In fact, it likely would've happened no matter what to alleviate Space Cabin Fever, otherwise you might as well travel in regular old battleships and stop at every planet instead, whereas I'm assuming "Small and secretive nation doing OK, on the sidelines of the universe, as it were"

Basically: We can have plenty of food and water, and no rationing, because rapid water reprocessing and surplus of food. Your value will be as a person, not as a part of this fleet. It's a NATION in SPACE, Taricus, not Fascism And The Navy With A Few Useless Onlookers.
+1 +1 +1

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Shadows among the Stars (3rd Round: Nomads)
« Reply #65 on: June 26, 2017, 05:42:33 pm »

Okay, I'm really liking the nomadic nation idea. I should have thought of it :P  We have several options here:

A. Worldships: Self-sustaining large ships carrying large populations of civilians. Has a fleet of support ships that trade, raid, and defend the ship.

B. Fleet of Regular Starships: A fleet of scavenged and scrounged together starship, from carriers to battleships to frigates.

C. Something else?

Also, what species are you? You can be human, or come up with a new alien race.

What kind of government?
 In game terms , we are going to have heads of various departments (piracy, army, trade, stuff like that) setting goals and missions. Depending on numbers, each department can have a quartermaster and a mad scientist. You can have as many operatives, or lieutenants, in a department as you want.

OR
   Focus more on upper level governance, with players filling in for president, senators, councilors, generals, admirals and captains. I don’t really have details yet, however.

Sindari Immortals Play as an immortal being trying to subvert an evil empire of (for now) stronger immortals. On *very* long term hiatus.

tntey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Shadows among the Stars (3rd Round: Space Nomads)
« Reply #66 on: June 26, 2017, 05:54:43 pm »

I think a constitutional monarchy with a parliament would be cool. The king could function much like a president (I.e Handles foreign policy, the military, approves laws passed by the parliament) and the parliament could be GM controlled with heads of party played by players.
Speaking of lowest intelligence, that reminds me of the fact that it's probably your first time in prison. Don't worry, I can give you some tips, having spent some time in a few myself. The best way to make friends here is to drop the soap during shower time. Try it, I'm sure you'll love making friends like that!

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 26, 2017, 05:59:01 pm »

Obviously, option A (MY LORE SHALL REIGN SUPREME!), and human, because humans are mediocre at everything, and this is a well-defined fact. Not to mention it's better to be human, because then the phrase "Ammonia-filled atmosphere" does not immediately require a check to see if we are some sort of twisted ammonia-breathing race of armored sauroids.

As far as government...Democratic. I'd say modeled on US gov't, because then we can have competing politics among players. The Senate is much smaller (Say...10 members. Filled by NPCs if there aren't enough players) and a President. If necessary, (Read: If GM wants to go THIS DEEP into the politics of it all) we can have a player-run Supreme Court with 3 or 5 members to pass judgement on players and perhaps even some NPCs who run afoul of the government. All positions elected by people (Including SC, otherwise unfairness, since we won't ever die) every few turns. All names temporary, meaning cooler names for the Presidency, Supreme Court, and Senate are welcome. Relatively large government because we're on a spaceship and the government needs to regulate things. Perhaps we have some archaic rules ensuring that priority positions such as propulsion engineers, life-support techs, farmers, and biosphere monitors are all filled at all times, though that is not an issue now.

There is only one military branch, the Fleet, but it does contain a Marine Corps, for those times when shooting them from your ship just isn't working, and you need to shoot them on their ship. Since we're mostly a keep-to-ourselves sort of nation, we've never needed to conquer anybody, so ground warfare tech is lagging a bit, though there are some few APCs/IFVs on the worldships in case an enemy breaches the hab-domes and needs to be shot dead.

Other institutions: Free-business model, basically. Lots of cooperation (Comes from living on in a confined space from lots of other people), perhaps, but other than that, whatever you wish to do as long as you're not injuring, in any way, any member of the nation. So yes, perhaps we have a few mercenary corporations tucked in the back, a sneaky Assassin's Guild somewhere in the depths of the damaged quadrant of Worldship Three (Asteroid collision. Have not yet acquired parts to repair it), and a drug-running cartel basing itself out of Worldship Four's decrepit starboard aft hangar array. However, the mercenaries don't find employment on the ship, the assassin's don't kill any of our friends, family, or allies, and the drugs stay off the Worldships, so we don't really care. There's a megalomaniacal corporation owner who likes to kill past business associates who betray him, but they've broken our laws, so good for him. We have a government-sanctioned ship-raiding-and-stealing division for those times when an unpleasant group of people has a nice ship and we want it, and an unofficially government sanctioned black-ops piracy division for those times when it's someone who's broken our laws owns a ship and we can't prove he did anything.

As for robots, how about no? Everything is human-run, and there is only a few bits of automation. Perhaps the people have had some terrible automation-based catastrophe in the past that had made them distrust automata, or perhaps their parents just grew up walking uphill through the vacuum to school, both ways, and you'll do the work that needs to be done and not let some useless robot do it for you.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 06:00:51 pm by Madman198237 »

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
  • [THOUGHTS:CHAOTIC] [ACTUALLY A SWAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 26, 2017, 06:00:16 pm »

I do not wish to be a political party leader, not to mention how many such parties would there be?

I would like B to be my choice, and I vote that we are a band of this that and 'thother, no specific species just like minded folks grouped together in the void for security and efficiency. Probably with individual players being captains or ranking officers aboard the larger ships.
////;::;\\\\ Scuttle Scuttle...

Milk for the Khorneflakes!

Luminous Bolt of Bacon
"Excuse me sir, You are on Fire."

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 26, 2017, 06:02:19 pm »

We probably wouldn't bother with open political parties. Rather, people who want office convince the other players to vote for them...and convince the GM that the NPCs are convinced to vote for him. You might end up representing a corporation, the mercenary group downstairs, the Assassin's Guild over on Worldship 3, or perhaps you'll be a respected admiral who's say matters heavily, though you cannot hold office.

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 26, 2017, 06:02:33 pm »

I do not wish to be a political party leader, not to mention how many such parties would there be?

I would like B to be my choice, and I vote that we are a band of this that and 'thother, no specific species just like minded folks grouped together in the void for security and efficiency. Probably with individual players being captains or ranking officers aboard the larger ships.
+1
if you want something wacky
Quote from: ChiefWaffles, MAR Discord
I continue to be puzzled by BL's attempts to make Aratam blatantly evil

tntey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 26, 2017, 06:03:09 pm »

What we should do is have the game start right after a revolution overthrowing the monarchy, and us the players have a sort of constitutional convention establishing the government.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 26, 2017, 06:16:24 pm »

What we should do is have the game start right after a revolution overthrowing the monarchy, and us the players have a sort of constitutional convention establishing the government.
Hell yes.

-snip-
Sounds good to me. Though I think you mean that it's a Republic (democracy means that every single person has an equal vote on everything, rather than them voting for senators/representative/president/etc).
Though I say that we should have automation, though in limited amounts. We haven't really put a whole lot of resources into it yet, since we have people who can do it all, but that could change during the game.

I vote that we are a band of this that and 'thother, no specific species just like minded folks grouped together in the void for security and efficiency. Probably with individual players being captains or ranking officers aboard the larger ships.
+1 because yes.

We probably wouldn't bother with open political parties. Rather, people who want office convince the other players to vote for them...and convince the GM that the NPCs are convinced to vote for him. You might end up representing a corporation, the mercenary group downstairs, the Assassin's Guild over on Worldship 3, or perhaps you'll be a respected admiral who's say matters heavily, though you cannot hold office.
Political parties will undoubtedly happen on their own, regardless of whether they get written into the rules or not, but yes, I agree that there's no need to start with the them being open.

All in all, things sound good.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 26, 2017, 06:19:31 pm »

Or we vote beforehand and accomplish the same thing, but with less crazy anarchy...at the beginning, anyway.

Alternatively, the government is, at the start, run independent of the players, and we just make do at every destination. Perhaps later, when the players have gotten enough power, we decide that the government's just-slightly-less-than-optimal decisionmaking isn't good enough, and we overthrow it and establish ourselves a new one.

As in, at start, players run various corporations and interest groups, yes, political parties if you want. That might simplify things for the GM, who has us show up at destinations for a few turns, then leave, giving opportunities to each type of corporation and whatnot every turn, perhaps. Although I'm torn between being an admiral of the fleet and running my own bounty hunter guild or mercenary corporation...

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 26, 2017, 06:25:12 pm »

Or we vote beforehand and accomplish the same thing, but with less crazy anarchy...at the beginning, anyway.
I had assumed that that would be how it would be done...

Alternatively, the government is, at the start, run independent of the players, and we just make do at every destination. Perhaps later, when the players have gotten enough power, we decide that the government's just-slightly-less-than-optimal decisionmaking isn't good enough, and we overthrow it and establish ourselves a new one.

As in, at start, players run various corporations and interest groups, yes, political parties if you want. That might simplify things for the GM, who has us show up at destinations for a few turns, then leave, giving opportunities to each type of corporation and whatnot every turn, perhaps. Although I'm torn between being an admiral of the fleet and running my own bounty hunter guild or mercenary corporation...
...but this does also sound like a good idea. It also means that there's a progression of how complicated the game gets: when we're ready to run the government, we can decide to do that.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 27