Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 72

Author Topic: Survive (10/10, Endgame)  (Read 134078 times)

PaPaj

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazed escaped dwarf from Alcatraz
    • View Profile
Re: Survive (10/10)
« Reply #360 on: September 24, 2017, 03:09:51 am »

Continue on learning divination magic
"Hey how are you doing? well im doing just fine,i lie i am dying inside" - [place data of this short song being made here] some girl with a guitar

Transcendant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: September 24, 2017, 04:02:32 am »

((Glass didn't get a familiar, he got an animal companion.))

((And Transcendent, while I appreciate the thanks, the cooperation during combat has been done before when Billy Bob helped Nix fight the bear. There was no noticeable bonus that wasn't due to abilities, and the monster attacks both people anyway if they roll low. Perhaps there might be a bonus if it were organized, but I dunno. Also, your requests for people to focus on just combat would make us weaker. After getting the first +1, assuming there are no further +1s with increased rank which seems likely given the "one time" wording for the bonus, the most efficient thing for people to do would be to get the +1 Combat, then grind other skills they won't use, like Digging or Whistling or whatever, to level 1 to accrue the Health and/or Hunger bonuses. It takes the same amount of XP to get two skills to level 1 and get 2 bonuses that it takes to raise Combat from Level 1 to Level 2 and get one bonus. They could also dabble into other magic types for the Mana Bonuses. The only one difficult to raise is Spirit, which appears to only be able to be increased by leveling Spirit Power.))

OOC: Think so? Not my place to number out combat. Synergy stack? Interaction bonuses?  We don't have to know. Knowing would bog down the story / system. That said, three words, "number of rolls." Also, multiple targets, and collective hit point pools.... Simple stuff.

Armies work.... If the bear attacks 1/round and the group attacks it 4/round.... Ganging up works. So does our focus fire and the bear's distraction with multiple targets. He hits one of us, that person falls back and range attacks until healed. Somebody else gets hit, and everyone's fine after healing. That assumes no tank.

Don't discount specialization and higher level spells/abilities, and items for that matter. You're right in terms of raw level up +1 bonuses, but so? Everyone as "Jack of all trades and master of none" doesn't have a master healer with high level spells, master "need meeting," or a master item maker. So far, I've only got minor and moderate heal; I'll get more, better healing spells. My idea was freeing people from making necessities to have more training/fun doing other things: food/shelter, etc, while providing another non combat option to deal with things, possibly gaining allies, etc. (I'm offering space/friendship to the dragons). Someone else was looking at forging. I bet better armor (or any armor) helps combat somehow. Same with most specialties....

Forget the numbers, look at what we know. There's a dragon god being held by a powerful mage group with high level spells. Unless we can all somehow master all different areas; specializing is faster, among several other benefits.... "Opportunity cost," and time spent training matters. The DM seems to be keeping track of time, so let's not hope she's counting down to something, or if she is, that we have ample time until whatever she's counting down to ... happens. 

Either way, I'm enjoying the game, and just suggesting alternatives to separated soloing. I have 0 authority, but it's an idea.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 12:09:05 pm by Transcendant »

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: September 24, 2017, 01:37:47 pm »

((Man, I'm glad spoilers are a thing. And posting from a phone sucks.))
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

Transcendant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: September 24, 2017, 01:57:35 pm »

Ah, the internet where even saying "I have 0 authority, but it's an idea," in regards to cooperation still isn't a safe option.... Force cooperation by suggesting advocating for it? ...?

Ok, I will stop trying to convince people to work together. Does that work? Can we get back to playing?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 02:03:31 pm by Transcendant »

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: September 24, 2017, 02:03:06 pm »

Ah, the internet where even saying "I have 0 authority, but it's an idea," in regards to cooperation still isn't a safe option.

Ok, I will stop trying to convince people to work together.
Tacking it on at the end kinda makes it seem like an afterthought. And Beirus puts up some good points: unless there's mechanics for why it's helpful, it isn't.
That being said, with more sources of damage, the enemy will typically go down faster, so, even without attack bonuses (which people can also give via healing/improvement spells), there will be some amount of advantage to fighting in a group. It just doesn't give the full advantage, i.e. that your opponent will have difficulty from the multiple targets, and carries the disadvantage that more people will need healing afterward.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Transcendant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: September 24, 2017, 02:09:35 pm »

Are people actually upset by occasional suggestions to cooperate and gratitude to those who do? Really?

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: September 24, 2017, 02:13:03 pm »

???
No.

Dwayna DragonFire

• Bay Watcher
  • DragonFire Forever
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: September 24, 2017, 07:04:33 pm »

Some clarifications:
The +1 bonus to <insert skill> is indeed purposefully worded that way so as to say that you can only obtain that bonus one time total. It's basically insuring that future uses of the skill won't critically fail and provide huge detrimental consequences. You'll notice I kept magic out of that equation - I wanted a little bit of chaos to remain.

As for rolling, it as also correct that high numbers = good and low numbers = bad, regardless of what actions you take. Sometimes I'll decide that you might get a bonus, other times breaking tools or obtaining status efffects is more appropriate, but mostly I deplete health / hunger so everyone has a chance to try to replenish lost resources. That being said, Health and Hunger are also the most important because one of the main rules is that if either bar is depleted, you will die.

Feel free to co-operate or do your own things as you please, and if you think suggestions would help then communication is open, especially in the Discord. Let's try to keep things as civil as possible OOC, this is just a simple RTD with an overarching plot that I made up so it wouldn't solely be about managing resources. Also as a side note: I am keeping track of time for a reason, partially because I wanted a day/night cycle and partially for plot reasons.

Thank you for playing my game.

Day 2: Cloudy (3 Turns)

Valosh skirts past the mushroom and looks further into the mine. If he sees any further ores, he will gather them- if not, he simply delves deeper.
1You go further into the mine, past the giant mushroom when you hear a scuttling noise near you. You come face to face with a giant scorpion, which swings it's claw at you.
-2 Health. Fighting Giant Scorpion: 13/13 Health. Warning: Low Health.

yeah, les do it! Gotta be something cool near ruins like that!
2 You rush forward and fall into the river. Cats hate water! You bolt back out of there as soon as possible, lucky to not have been caught up in the downstream. -1 Health, -1 Hunger.

+1 Health please. Fistfight the owl, absorb the nuances of its movement into my own.
1 That owl has a family. It is extremely protective of its babies. -2 Health, Gain Status: Bleeding.

Training without practice is worthless. Time to go find something to fight, or something to help somebody fight.
Like the spider killing that one guy. Or the centipede. Use Stone Skin to protect myself, and use Attack Buff while slashing at the enemy.

4+2 The centipede is closer to you. You decide to help out Aumrath with his plight. It takes a lot more energy than it normally would.
Mana and Spirit Depleted. Combat Rank 2: 7/20 EXP. Abjuration Magic Rank 0: 7/10 EXP. Spirit Power Rank 1: 10/15 EXP. Fighting Giant Centipede: 5/13 Health

If this is how it ends, so be it! Take the spider down with me by slashing it!
3 You take that spider down, still poisoned but alive. -1 Health, -1 Hunger.
Combat Level Up! Choose one: +1 Maximum Health, +1 Maximum Hunger, or a one time permanent +1 bonus to Combat.

Forage for food, preferring strawberries if possible. Plant half of what I find to expand the farm. Talk to the Dragons while I do. Maybe contemplate some nature/earth/spirit magic.
"I imagine I might understand some small bit Kalith. If nothing else, you're both welcome here. If you'd like, it is possible I might even create some lodgings for you at some point. Wherever we come from, we are here now together. That said, if Auraj's mother would help us, then that would be lovely.
Do you know of anyone else that lives around here while we're thinking about it?"

1+2 You harvest two strawberries and plant one. -1 Hunger. Strawberry x1. Foraging Rank 2: 5/20 EXP. Farming Rank 1: 12/15 EXP. Earth Magic Rank 3: 13/25 EXP.
"I'm afraid that the only others I know are my siblings. I was just born the other day, after all." Pretty impressive for a day old dragon.

I'll take the new transmutation magic.
Animate the sword, and have it fight for me. Avoid the centipede.
Gain Spell: Stone to Metal/Metal to Stone (3 Mana)
You animate your sword to fight for you. Thanks to the help of Billy Bob, you easily defeat the centipede. -2 Mana. Transmutation Magic Rank 2: 5/20 EXP.

Bring logs back to base, and chop one up to prepare to make charcoal out of it. Consider the nature of dulling now, how things lose their sharpness. The specific spell I'm thinking of is the inverse of that last spell I learned, dulling something for 1 turn per mana.
3 You succeed in doing all of those things. It takes a bit more energy than normal.
-2 Hunger. Transmutation Rank 0: Rank 0: 2/10 EXP. Lumberjack Rank 0: 2/10 EXP. Sharpen changed to Sharpen/Dull.

Its name is Redwing.
Return to camp, cook/smoke my remaining raw fish, and gather some charcoal from the campfire.
5 It seems to accept its new name and follows you to camp. You cook the fish and gather some charcoal. Charcoal x3, Cooked Fish x3, Smoked Fish x4. Cooking Rank 1: 12/15 EXP.

Continue on learning divination magic
1 You waste a whole bunch of time. Now you're on the brink of starving again. -3 Hunger. Warning: Eat this turn or die.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Puppyguard

• Bay Watcher
  • An avatar? What's that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: September 24, 2017, 07:07:35 pm »

+1 to combat please.
Eat some of my charcoal to cure myself of poison. Then gather a bunch of spider webbing, meat, and venom glands. See if I can find any giant spider eggs.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 07:22:00 pm by Puppyguard »

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: September 24, 2017, 07:11:17 pm »

Ugh. Not a nice turn for people.
Go out, find a beaver, and make it my familiar.

Also, if you need food, just take some from me. I've got plenty. Only take one or two pieces, though.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 07:18:36 pm by Glass »

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
  • Come on, just a taste of your soul?
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: September 24, 2017, 07:12:31 pm »

oh dear.

Valosh immediately turns and dashes out of the mine; pausing only to grab his tools if he has time. If he gets caught, he casts minor harm on the scorpion and hopes that staggers it.
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

Transcendant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: September 24, 2017, 07:16:45 pm »

Leave the other strawberry for others; go forage/farm for more strawberries. Plant half of what I get to expand the farm. Contemplate some earth magic while I do.

Clearly we need some if people are near starving somehow. Also, I'm out of mana currently.

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: September 24, 2017, 07:27:12 pm »

That's not true! Tigers love water, and most short haired cats don't mind it either!
lick myself dry and clean, then continue exploring without slipping on something and falling into a river..
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

PaPaj

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazed escaped dwarf from Alcatraz
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: September 25, 2017, 12:16:18 am »

eat more food
"Hey how are you doing? well im doing just fine,i lie i am dying inside" - [place data of this short song being made here] some girl with a guitar

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: September 25, 2017, 12:46:29 am »

Harvest some of the carapace and the mandibles from the centipede to make some awesome shoulderpads or bracers or shinguards or something. Then go eat and try to recover spirit, mana, and health.
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 72