Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 99

Author Topic: You are a Monster - Turn 63  (Read 215500 times)

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Monster - Turn 21
« Reply #660 on: May 08, 2018, 06:41:31 pm »

To those who know of my old games. I am now certain I will be rebooting Rise of the Monstrous Kingdom. I will be posting it in Roll to Dodge in about 10 hours.
+1

Now to decide between playing as Eversor again or making a new character.

I hope there's enough space for me too. I want to make a floating brain monster commander.
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

Jbehler64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: May 08, 2018, 08:49:18 pm »

Ok~~
Book monster idea shelved for now then, thanks for the reply!

Whats this about kingdoms???

EDIT: HA!! SHELVED!!
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 09:28:39 pm by Jbehler64 »

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: May 08, 2018, 09:13:19 pm »

I hope there's enough space for me too. I want to make a floating brain monster commander.
That spot is taken. Technically. Azarian IS the floating brain monster commander in the first one, and he will be in the next one.
You could be a floating brain monster captain though!
Edit:here is the game in question. He might start a new thread for it.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 09:15:24 pm by Dustan Hache »
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: May 09, 2018, 02:21:10 am »

As promised: Rise of the Monstrous Kingdom. The reboot is up!
Next turn for You are a Monster will be up in 24h at most.

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: May 09, 2018, 07:44:04 pm »

The Protoquin
try uh, try to lick-slap it?

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: May 10, 2018, 12:42:06 am »

Ulkas nodded, gathering his memories. With such non-living, rational-based entity as Xatares, it was easier to say truth instead of half-truths required for most - if not all - other sentients. It was an interesting twist in his opinion, coming from the very nature of each sort of being.

"I'm Ulkas and my companion - Astrosa. We are surviving demons from a fallen country of Infernum, one of the few non-human nations to emerge after a world-wide Cataclysm that claimed sentience of monsters living before it and led to destruction of much culture and structures predating it. Currently, demons of Neodemonium, successor of Infernum in a sense, wage war upon alliance of human countries, with various other monsters caught in a conflict. Seeking power in this rapidly-changing world, we wanted to gather information and understanding of the past long gone, to be able to forge our future. For that, ruins of Ancients, your installation included, were perfect chance. We did find remains of human expedition that awakened you, but did not understand the implications before I was able to contact your Guardian."
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: May 11, 2018, 05:16:41 am »

I got a bit distracted by the new DF update, I think I should be able to finish the turn by tomorrow!

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Monster - Turn 22
« Reply #667 on: May 12, 2018, 01:52:52 am »

Turn 22:

Turn 21

Skee, the Insect Parasite (Legendary Marksdorf)
Go claim the essence, then have your host eat and tend to its wounds, and return to the pack when the others do. Once you get there, keep observing and trying to understand the Makralian language.

You claimed the essence, absorbing it in your body. And fortunately, your host didn't seem to interfere with the essence absorption.

Flavor Roll: [5]
The Makralians didn't notice you taking the essence. The three Makralians, your host included, gathered around their prize and started carving its flesh out. One of the Makralians handed you a pink and juicy lump of flesh, which your host gladly ingested.

They kept trying to say something to your host, using the Makralian dialect. Though you couldn't understand, they seemed worried if you were to guess. And finally, they resorted to the monstrous tongue, the common language that all monsters understood.

"Shnapa, do you understand me?"

This time, you nodded.
"Oh, he can still understand the tongue. Are you alright? Got a bad hit somewhere? You've been weird as of late."

He then said something in the dialect, and returned to the tongue right after.
"Yeah, definitely something wrong with ya. You can't speak the dialect anymore somehow? Feeling okay?"

The other Makralian then added.
"Don't push'im. Let's return to Ksharpa and the others first, okay Shnapa? You will get better with some rest."

As the Banberus body was way too heavy for you to carry, you three proceeded to take apart meaty parts to bring back to everyone. Your host's body, named Shnapa, still remembered how to proceed. Once that was done, you returned to the pack.

Event Roll: [5]
You managed to return to the pack without a hitch, each carrying a large far and meaty Banberus bodypart. To everyone's surprise though, there were more Makralians than before. Their fur also had slight variations compared to those of "your" pack: slight color shifts and patches of colored fur. Your pack leader seemed to be discussing in Makralian with another pack leader. One of the Makralian you hunted with interjected in the discussion.

"Can I ask that we speak in the tongue? Shnapa has been unable to use the dialect after he took a bad hit."

The Makralian was obviously lying, but it was the simplest answer given the situation. Ksharpa, the pack leader, agreed with the suggestion. It seems the other Makralian didn't mind either.
"I am Sherpo, leader of a pack that usually lives farther in the eastern territories. With the other packs of the east, we are looking to form a great alliance with all Makralians."

"Cause of the "Wasps". They are growing too dangerous, and this fellow and his pals are suggesting we band together to survive. I'm not against it myself, thought about consulting with ya first though."

Some of the Makralians present were uneasy at the idea of uniting the packs. Competition among packs had always been a thing, and some had less than cordial relationships. But when it came to the Wasps, which one was the lesser evil was crystal clear.

Nearby Monsters:
-2 Adult Makralians: "Kin"
> Side: -6HP
-Ksharpa, Makralian Pack Leader
-Sherpo, Makralian Pack Leader
-a dozen of Adult Makralians

Spoiler: Skee Status (click to show/hide)

Terrence the Bone Baron - (ironsnake345)
Time to put the plan into action! Stalk close to the creature and attempt to "backstab" the undead. Regardless of whether or not I manage to sneak close enough to attack it, be prepared to run the moment it knows I'm there, luring it away - specifically in a direction that would make it a prime target for Vel's charge. It's time to T-bone this thing!

((Also: Hurrah! Nakeen has returned to us!))

Sneaking:
Action Roll (6): [16]
Outcome Roll: [1] -Success-

You moved into the fog, hearing the clapping sounds of Vel's hooves disappearing in the distance until only the light ruffling sound of your steps could be heard. You circled around the Abomination, whose imposing and bloated shape was visible despite the fog, and stopped only once you were close to see it without being detected.

This Abomination had two arms, a main body and a large toothless mouth. Its "lower body" was made of large intestine-like lumps of flesh that it dragged as it moved as if it was cut midsection.

One Bony Backstab:
Combat Roll (Str 1 vs Con 2): [3]+2 (Sneak Attack +2) vs [8]
Critical Roll: [8] -No Counterattack-

With one swift swoop, you slashed your Bone Broadsword at the Abomination. And to your dismay, your attack was completely ineffective, merely bouncing on its very dense body. While no damage was done, your presence and hostility was still acknowledged. Following an ear-splitting roar, the massive Undead turned toward you and started chasing you.

You had started running way before it started screaming of course.

Running away:
Action Roll (8): [12]
Outcome Roll: [5] -Overshoot-

You outran the Undead with ease, as despite its surprise speed, you were still the fastest. But you ran so fast that a coincidentally badly placed pebble made you slip. Dragged by your momentum, you crashed in a clattering blaze, ending in an unsightly position for a four-armed-four-legged skeletal thing.

[Malus to next action]

The Abomination's figure was approaching dangerously. But confident in your partner, you waited. In the distance, you could hear frenetic riding...

Chaaarge!:
Combat Roll (Str 1 vs Con 2): [11]+2 (Sneak Attack +2 Charge +4) vs [5]
Critical Roll: [5]+3 -Normal Hit-
Damage Roll: [5]*0.75 + 2 (Rusty Arming Sword) = 5

With the power of the charge backing him, Vel slashed its sword in a lateral strike with both hands. The blade managed to sever the Undead's flesh, creating a gaping wound from which poured a putrid liquid. Surprised and enraged, the Abomination's body appeared to soften.

Nearby Monsters:
-Vel, the Dead Rider: [Friendly/Ally]
-Undead Abomination: [Hostile] [Enraged State (Reduced Defences)]
> -5

Spoiler: Terrence Status (click to show/hide)

The Azarian Project, the Thoughling (Dustan Hache)
Devour the shaman's mind! Disrupt the spell by any means possible!

Mind Eater:
Combat Roll (Pow 1 vs Res 1): [10] vs [9]-2 (Focused)
Outcome Roll: [5] -Overshoot-

Just as you finished taking your decision, the Ogre Guards were already upon you. The Beings of Flesh moved in front, protecting you from their assault. Without any disturbance stopping you, you focused on eating the mind of the Shaman.

Too focused on its spell, the Shaman was unable to actively protect its mind from any potential assault. With its defences more open than usual, your attack slipped in, and you gnawed at the Shaman's mind. As soon as the part of mind was transfered to you, you felt pure bliss from the meal. This mind was like none others, here there was experience, a savoring complexity sprinkled with this taste of natural intelligence that was sorely lacking from primitive minds.

Your bliss was cut short by the sudden burst of mana you felt, which combined with the Shaman's painful scream didn't bode anything good.

The Shaman's spell has gone haywire!

You saw the Shaman suddenly collapsing, as if drained from all its might. For a moment, you wondered if your Mind Eating was the cause, but what followed shortly quickly corrected you. The Ogres guarding the Shaman also suddenly collapsed, powerless, as if their bodies were too heavy for them to bear.

Then a second later, you felt your forces being drained, siphoned by an invisible whirlwind with the Shaman's location as a source.

Resist:
Action Roll (13): [11]
Outcome Roll: [1] -Critical Failure-

You attempted to resist and hold to your strength, but the accidental link between your mana and the spell caused you to be unable to fight off the energy drain.

Mana completely drained
You are now Exhausted (At your limit)

The other beings are faring even worse. The Beings of Thought vanished as soon as their power got drained, and the beings of flesh are starting to slowly disintegrate. You can feel this siphoning storm is increasing in radius.

Nearby and not-so-Nearby Monsters:
Close:
-Ogre Shaman (Stage 2): Unconscious
-Ogre Guards (Stage 1) Exhausted
> 2 of them incoming Exhausted
-4 Beings of Flesh (Stage 0) Disintegrating
-2 Being of Thought (Stage 0) Gone

Far:
-Envious Grasper: Independent
-Many But Quite Less Ones of Thought (Stage 0): [Neutral+] Stabilized
-Many But Quite Less Ones of Flesh (Stage 0): [Neutral+] Stabilized
-Ogres Warriors (Stage 1)

Neophytos the Sole Survivor, Psychic Pain Spider (randomgenericusername)
Pain. While it didn't really bother him physically, the burns reminded of the horrors that happened in the woods. The fire didn't hurt as much as the memories of his old home...

Curious. Why being close to death made him feel so alive? Why did he want to feel more?

The jungle resonates with the pain Neophytos is currently feeling, increasing the intensity of their attacks and trashing around the wasps in despair.
Neophytos continues the song of the burning woods, trying to protect the Lifetree and the Sylvarians.

Silva Dolorem: (-4MP)
Combat Roll (Pow 1 vs Average Con 1): [11]+4 (Jungle Environment +2 Burning Pain +2) vs [4]
Critical Roll: [9]+2 -Critical Hit-
Average Damage Roll: [6]*1=[6]

You managed to hit all the Elemanopteran Soldiers present.

Resonating with your pain, the controlled plants started moving in a frenzy. Now digging at an even faster rate into their targets, they caused massive damage to the Elemanoptera. But as a price for such power, the trees started withering, having over-expanded their energy.

3 Elemanopteran Soldiers died from the infestation, while the remaining 6 have suffered heavy damage.

Sedre and the two Sylvarian Warriors completed the ward around the Lifetree thanks to everyone's support. Now safe from harm, they joined the fight and engaged the remaining enemies. With the three fighting warriors, they took the 6 Soldiers in a pincer. With their hardened wood spikes, they managed to kill four of the weakened Elemanopteran without taking damage.

Jijjia completed its illusion spell. You yourself couldn't know what was happening, but the remaining 3 Elemanoptera started moving erratically. Their attacks ended up completely missing their marks, as if they fired at invisible foes.

A blinding red flash of light emanated from Boor's location. Suddenly, the large Elemanoptera emerged from the woods. It looked very different: its shell was bright red, infused with energy, and you could feel great heat emanating from its body. The energized wasp flew to the location of its dead kin, and cannibalized them.

A new surge of power coursed through its body as it incorporated thunder elemental energy to its fire element.

Boor emerged from the same location soon after. Half his body was charred, but he was still standing and brimming with fighting spirit.

Nearby Monsters:
Allies:
-Sedre, Sylvarian leader (-2)
-2 Sylvarian Warriors (-2)
> Raising a ward around the Lifetree

-3 Sylvarian Warriors (-2)
> One: Critically Wounded
> Fighting on the frontline

-Species representative Jijjia (Owl) (-2) Casting an Illusion Spell
-Species representative Boor (Boar) (-2?)

Enemies:
-11 Elemanopteran Soldiers
> 5 Dead
> 6 Alive (-6) Infested Grounded
-Large Elemanopteran Soldier (-7)
> Elemental infusion [Fire/Thunder]

Go'Von, the Strangler Ooze (Puppyguard)
Go'Von
Stay hidden and out of sight. if they do retreat, avoiding their gaze is Vital.

You remained hidden, but you were still within the danger zone.

Flavor Roll: [4]
The battle continued with reduced intensity. Both fighters seemed to try to save their forces, and were probably trying to find an occasion to inflict a decisive blow. But none managed to create this opportunity, the Carkrul had a very slight edge at first sight, but not big enough to warrant taking risks.

You could tell the two monsters were on the verge of retreating.

Nearby Monsters:
-Red-Eyed Albudron (Eel Hydra): Slightly Wounded
> Estimated Stage 2+
-Spinal-Horned Carkrul (Humanoid Rock-beast): Slightly Wounded
> Estimated Stage 2+

-Many!
-A lot of critters
-Some very dangerous ones

Spoiler: Go'Von Status (click to show/hide)

Squelchy, the Omnislime (Coolrune206)
Squelchy quickly orders all the slimes to bind together in a ball-form, then activates Glimmering Hope. If successful, he orders the slimes to burst and attack the opponents from all sides. If not, he orders the slimes to try to roll away by having the slimes on the bottom move in such a way that the ball rolls.

The slimes banded together even more tightly than usual, compressing into a tight ball. With your Glimmering Hope shining in its core, the slimes looked like a lustrous drop of goo.

[-1 MP from Glimmering Hope activation]

You shared your plan with the slimes, and everyone braced themselves for it.

Battle! (d20):
Elemanopteran Barrage: [7]+4 (Elemental Energy +2 Resonator +2)
vs
Slime Surprise: [15]+3 (Desperate Morale +2 Glimmering Hope (Half) +1)

You timed the burst with the next barrage, allowing the slimes to dodge the energy bolts and immediately retaliate. Some of them managed to land directly on their opponents, while others had to pounce from above or the side to join in the fray. Assaulted by desperate and empowered slimes, the Elemanoptera were being overwhelmed by the many abilities of the slimes. Some released powerful enzymes or/and poisons on their targets, other used more physical means, like crushing and stabbing...

Your enemy was losing their advantage, but you could still tell the fight was not in your favor.

Until the smell arrived. Emerging from where you came, a huge Miasma Dragon appeared. This one was different from the first one you met, it was larger, and its scales were paler than the yellow copper scales the other had. The ooze dripping from its body was also moving rhytmically, and formed rising tendrils that seemed to probe the surroundings.

Nearby Monsters:
-Many of desperately motivated slimes: Desperate Moral!
> Many are wounded
-Numerous Elemanoptera : Hostile
> Some are wounded
-Elemanopteran Resonator: Hostile
-"Advanced" Miasma Dragon: Hostile

Spoiler: Squelchy Status (click to show/hide)

Eximius Res, the Rusty Ring (Hawk132)
"I'll increase your speed. Get behind it."

Eximius becomes a spear and activates Blink.

You took the shape of a slate gray spear, elegant and deadly in its simplicity. It had the perfect length for Prias, such that he could wield it with one hand effortlessly if need be. Infusing your wielder with a new power, you activated Blink-

-2MP

-Prias moved so quickly it appeared as if he vanished, allowing him to dodge the arrow the Warknight had just released. Despite this inhuman level of speed, the Warknight didn't flinch and the lower skeleton started assuming a close combat stance.

Stab:
Combat Roll (Str 1 vs Con 1): [5]+3 (Ancient Combat +2 Blink +1) vs [3]
Critical Roll: [4] -Normal Hit-
Damage Roll: [3]*1=[3]

"Haa!"

Using a feint, Prias baited the shield and side-stepped to the left. Then with a better angle, he thrust the spear in a gap of the Warknight's armor, aiming at the spine. The bone cracked, but remained unbroken. The Warknight retaliated immediately.

Warknight Slash:
Combat Roll (Str 2 vs Con 1): [4] vs [9]+3 (Ancient Combat +2 Blink +1)
Critical Roll: [3] -Normal Counterattack-
Combat Roll (Str 1 vs Con 1): [2]+3 (Ancient Combat +2 Blink +1) vs [4]
Damage Roll: [3]*1=[3]

Prias dodged the diagonal slash and threw another thrust toward the spine of the Warknight. Sensing the danger, the undead took a leap back and assumed a more defensive position.

Nearby Monsters:
-1 Dead Warknight: Hostile
> -6HP
> Wielding: Sword and Shield / Bow
> Armored

Spoiler: Eximius Res Status (click to show/hide)

The Protoquin (Failbird105)
The Protoquin
try uh, try to lick-slap it?

Lick-Slap:
Combat Roll (Str 0 vs Con 0): [10] vs [3]
Critical Roll: [10]+2 -Critical Hit-
Damage Roll: [5]

Extending your tongue, you whipped the white phoenix. In this dreamrealm, you could feel your powers being greater than in the real world. The force of your blow bent the wing of the phoenix, and caused it to crash on the ground.

As a side-effect, you could feel the terror this realm had toward you increasing, causing you to feel stronger than usual.

[Empowered by terror]

Nearby Visible Dreams:
-The Phoenix Nightmare: Hostile
> -5HP

-mini Dandakaras: Sleeping
-Dandakara's Nightmares: Hostile / Terrified of Protoquin
-The White Nightmare: Rampaging

Spoiler: The Protoquin Status (click to show/hide)

Ulkas, the Horned Demon (Sarrak)
Ulkas nodded, gathering his memories. With such non-living, rational-based entity as Xatares, it was easier to say truth instead of half-truths required for most - if not all - other sentients. It was an interesting twist in his opinion, coming from the very nature of each sort of being.

"I'm Ulkas and my companion - Astrosa. We are surviving demons from a fallen country of Infernum, one of the few non-human nations to emerge after a world-wide Cataclysm that claimed sentience of monsters living before it and led to destruction of much culture and structures predating it. Currently, demons of Neodemonium, successor of Infernum in a sense, wage war upon alliance of human countries, with various other monsters caught in a conflict. Seeking power in this rapidly-changing world, we wanted to gather information and understanding of the past long gone, to be able to forge our future. For that, ruins of Ancients, your installation included, were perfect chance. We did find remains of human expedition that awakened you, but did not understand the implications before I was able to contact your Guardian."

The Core Unit's voice wavered for an instant before returning to the usual calm tone:
"Non-human nations... I assume by that fact that the human race is the dominant force of this world. You said both of you are of the demon people, but I am unfamiliar to the names you mentioned. A Cataclysm you said. And you called this place "ruins of the Ancients"...

The short silence that ensued led you to guess the Unit was shocked by the turn of events.
"I am deeply grateful for your truthful answer. The Ancients you mentioned, must refer to the Levemite. The people who lived while this installation was still active, before its shutdown. This Cataclysm you spoke of, what was it? Were the humans and the demons the only races to avoid that loss of sentience? What kind of disaster could have befell on the world, for even the Etherlink to become inaccessible?"

You could tell the Unit was now open to your questions too.

Nearby Visible Beings:
-Xatares Sentinel: Non-Hostile
-Xatares Core Unit: Non-Hostile

Spoiler: Ulkas Status (click to show/hide)

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: May 12, 2018, 01:54:20 am »

((It took a little bit longer than expected, because of some problems with a magma piston))

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: May 12, 2018, 02:39:47 am »

Ulkas hummed, browsing his thoughts and memories again. The picture was not complete, but he already possessed much of the knowledge needed to glue some bits of puzzle together.

"For Cataclysm... I can presume it was closely tied to Essence dissipation. Only isolated places with naturally high magical component were able to support monster nations some time after it happened. Sadly, with the destruction of Demonic Nexus - the object that allowed Infernum consolidation in the first place - most demons lost their memories and regressed back into mindless entities. My companion and myself only recently regained our sense of self and were able to gather some elements of the puzzle that is Past. Our memories of Infernum are still hazy at best."

"If I may take a guess, Cataclysm endangered all races, but humans were the least affected. Some other places that supported early monster civilizations must exist, but I doubt they have memories predating Cataclysm. Probably only Levemites - or, rather their ruins - still hold the clues to exact nature of Cataclysm. Humans should have some pieces of puzzle as well, but, considering their technologies, they are far cry from Levemites."

Summing everything on his mind, Ulkas felt it was his turn to question:

"You have mentioned Etherlink and Levermites... While browsing through equipment earlier - it seemed related to mining or exploration - I was barely able to discern a few of many enchantments put on it. Past seems to be much more advanced than present day. Could you tell us more about it?"

Ask Xatares about the past. Using installation to further our knowledge and power would be a perfect opportunity.

"Astrosa, this facility predates the Cataclysm that happened before consolidation of Infernum. I'll try to gather as much about past as possible and parlay about getting us knowledge and artifacts towards mutual benefit. For now, diplomacy goes rather well."
« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 02:43:02 am by Sarrak »
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: May 12, 2018, 04:27:43 am »

(fast answer, will be formatted later)

Ulkas hummed, browsing his thoughts and memories again. The picture was not complete, but he already possessed much of the knowledge needed to glue some bits of puzzle together.

"For Cataclysm... I can presume it was closely tied to Essence dissipation. Only isolated places with naturally high magical component were able to support monster nations some time after it happened. Sadly, with the destruction of Demonic Nexus - the object that allowed Infernum consolidation in the first place - most demons lost their memories and regressed back into mindless entities. My companion and myself only recently regained our sense of self and were able to gather some elements of the puzzle that is Past. Our memories of Infernum are still hazy at best."

"If I may take a guess, Cataclysm endangered all races, but humans were the least affected. Some other places that supported early monster civilizations must exist, but I doubt they have memories predating Cataclysm. Probably only Levemites - or, rather their ruins - still hold the clues to exact nature of Cataclysm. Humans should have some pieces of puzzle as well, but, considering their technologies, they are far cry from Levemites."

Summing everything on his mind, Ulkas felt it was his turn to question:

"You have mentioned Etherlink and Levermites... While browsing through equipment earlier - it seemed related to mining or exploration - I was barely able to discern a few of many enchantments put on it. Past seems to be much more advanced than present day. Could you tell us more about it?"

Ask Xatares about the past. Using installation to further our knowledge and power would be a perfect opportunity.

"Astrosa, this facility predates the Cataclysm that happened before consolidation of Infernum. I'll try to gather as much about past as possible and parlay about getting us knowledge and artifacts towards mutual benefit. For now, diplomacy goes rather well."

"Essence dissipation?"

The Unit was genuinely surprised.
"That explains many things. The abnormal state of your Essence, and the disappearance of the Vein. Your Essence, unlike ours, seems... incomplete, broken. That would also explain why humans survived. Unlike other races, humans Essence had slightly different properties. It was shared across all individuals, and had the strongest identity of all the races. That also means they were the race least able to evolve. That explains why the veins were gone upon our reactivation..."

You had the feeling the Unit just said something very important. Especially this "Vein" matter. And as if picking up on your change of mood, it added explanations.
"My apologies. I went on forgetting trivial knowledge to us is utterly foreign to you. This facility is a Vein mine. Veins are massive and self-regenerating deposits of crystallized Essence that are connected straight to what is called the Heart. Well, Essence is the wrong term. Ichor was the name given to the Essence coming from the Veins. Yes, Ichor as in the "Blood of the Gods". Because for our civilization, Ichor was a miraculous resource. Properly refined, it could be used as an incredible power source. It could also be used to increase the Essence of individuals, which in itself had infinite applications. It was even the basis behind the creation of the Etherlink, a worldwide data sharing and storing system. We Sentinels are ourselves powered by Ichor, as are many tools of this facility. Ichor led Levem, no, the world to enter its Golden Age. But now it is all in the past, and the Vein of Xatares is gone. Probably because of this Cataclysm you mentioned. This Nexus you mentioned could also have been the remnant of a Vein."

As you mentioned the enchantments of the Levemite tools, the Unit uncovered more information about them.
"Crystallized Ichor is one of the hardest known substances, and as such the tools used to extract it are extremely powerful. Not to mention extraction is a very dangerous process, as damaging a Vein releases a tremendous amount of energy, which also explains the military-grade armors used there."

"Still... to think this glorious era is gone. Levem, Humanes, Typhonia. The three nations that formed the Typhidna Alliance. I wish I could tell you more about them, but my knowledge remain limited to my fields of expertise."

Astrosa, as tense as ever, said:
"Oh yes, I can tell I'm definitely missing on all the fun. What's next? They will serve us a snack? I just hope this history lesson won't lead us to be deemed useless once they have learned what they want."

The Unit waited for her to finish before adding:
"We can feel uneasiness in your companion. Will they be alright?"

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: May 12, 2018, 04:54:24 am »

"Well, Astrosa, I understand your unease, but, unfortunately, their supply of Crystallized Essence seems to have run dry. So no snacks for now. Heh. Wait for a bit longer."

Turning back to Xatares, Ulkas explained:

"She is dejected, not being able to understand our conversation and being out of her field of expertise - research does not sit perfectly well with her... Anyway, I wanted to share one thing with you, related to Ichor and Blood of the God you were talking about. I was shown a glimpse by an otherworldly presence and will try to show you:"

—Beyond the above. In between the hidden. Eye over all, infinity of the possible.
The lifeless god drifts. Enclosed in a cocoon of blood.
Yet the voracious ones feast and drink the Ichor, forbidden nectar.
From the dripping scars, give and take it all.
Feast on the carcass of the divine fallen.
Hide from the cruel light.
Merciless Suns lurk outside the abode—

"The rest was expunged by my consciousness, though."

See if Xatares can offer some insight. Then inquire about Ichor reserves or artifacts that installation might spare. Also, what our "incomplete, broken Essence" might entail.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 05:01:07 am by Sarrak »

Legendary Marksdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: May 12, 2018, 05:35:21 am »

((Funny, I was planning to try and get all the Makralian packs to unite. This makes things way easier for me.))

"Interesting", Skee thought. "If all the Makralians were to gather, they'd probably start attacking bigger preys. Maybe I could use this to acquire a powerful host..."

Make your host say in monstrous tongue that he supports the idea, but that he thinks it is doomed to fail unless we have a strong and undisputed leader to rule the alliance. Add that the leader should be decided with a tournament among Makralians, this way he can't be contested. All Makralians who are interested should be allowed to participate.

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: May 12, 2018, 05:59:22 am »

"Well, Astrosa, I understand your unease, but, unfortunately, their supply of Crystallized Essence seems to have run dry. So no snacks for now. Heh. Wait for a bit longer."

Turning back to Xatares, Ulkas explained:

"She is dejected, not being able to understand our conversation and being out of her field of expertise - research does not sit perfectly well with her... Anyway, I wanted to share one thing with you, related to Ichor and Blood of the God you were talking about. I was shown a glimpse by an otherworldly presence and will try to show you:"

—Beyond the above. In between the hidden. Eye over all, infinity of the possible.
The lifeless god drifts. Enclosed in a cocoon of blood.
Yet the voracious ones feast and drink the Ichor, forbidden nectar.
From the dripping scars, give and take it all.
Feast on the carcass of the divine fallen.
Hide from the cruel light.
Merciless Suns lurk outside the abode—

"The rest was expunged by my consciousness, though."

See if Xatares can offer some insight. Then inquire about Ichor reserves or artifacts that installation might spare. Also, what our "incomplete, broken Essence" might entail.

The Xatares Unit pondered for a while over your words.
"Cryptic, and ominous. This, unfortunately, seems to be outside my field of expertise. If it were the old world, a True Mage could have helped you. They were the ones that knew the magic closest to the realm of miracles, and knew more secrets about Ichor, Essence and the World than anyone else. Most of them were found on the island of Ey, located in the center of the Exar ocean to the north from there."

Luck Roll: [4]
"We have a few Ichor reserves left, but you can imagine how precious they are to us. Ichor attracts greed, and the reason the Sentinels are so heavily armed is to protect it from greed. As for "artifacts", I would be willing to share them with you as a thanks for your information."

Finally, the Unit said a word about your incomplete Essence.
"As befitting our role, we are able to detect and measure Essence. Your Essence is around a tenth of what a normal adult's Essence should be. Well, normal in Levemite terms."

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: May 12, 2018, 06:18:12 am »

"Interesting... Understandable about Ichor, though I can't say I wasn't hoping to get our hands on some at least, as it would help greatly. The incompleteness of our Essence might be partly due to a regression that occurred, but rules of the world itself must have changed with the disappearance of Veins. Currently, the world is full of strife and Essence is transferred by methods of cruelty rather than refinement. As such, it would be most appreciated if you can educate us about using the artifacts provided - such technology would take me a very long time to understand without your help, and time is of the essence. I'm capable of showing my companion what is needed, but first I must attain an understanding myself. And many thanks for the discussion - something tells me that after centuries, information of the past once again becomes the most important matter."

See what Xatares can offer us (a list of Ancient Artifacts of Immense Power?). Relate my findings to Astrosa.

Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 99