Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 99

Author Topic: You are a Monster - Turn 63  (Read 215788 times)

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Monster - Turn 47
« Reply #1230 on: October 05, 2022, 11:11:38 pm »

Spoiler: Transformation (click to show/hide)

Continue suppressing

Suggest everyone stay near the beach at first, while I head ahead.

Do some poking around at ground level first to begin scoping out the island.  Call out a few times to see if anyone intelligent is around.  If we're going to stay, we're going to meet whoever it is soon enough.

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1231 on: October 07, 2022, 03:38:17 am »

Ulkas, the Horned Demon (Sarrak)
(...)

Before heeding the words of Last, you took a look at your companions.
From the short time you had known Ambition, you knew him to be a cool-headed individual despite a boundless rage and greed storming in his heart. But this time, his eyes filled with defiance were also incredibly calm, as if the storm in his heart had stopped ever since he came here.

Your long-time companion however, was still in a state of emotional disarray which she was struggling against. From what you experienced yourself and knew of Astrosa, it was likely she had to confront inner demons of her that made her realize something. Although what, she wouldn't tell, and you wouldn't pry now. From her struggle and pride, you knew she would wish to find her own answer before telling you of her problem.

(...)

And so your closed your eyes, and braced for what would come. In the darkness of your mind, you felt the dark room around you, the slow revolving motions of the towering instrument, the mystic sound of the Word uttered by Last.

And the veil separating you from beyond the Boundary was removed.

For an instant the empty Infinity filled your soul, like the air entering the lung of a newborn.
And this instant was put to an end as a Presence crushed your soul with the weight of its crushing gaze.

They were Everywhere.

They were Everything.

Absolute beyond the Boundary, your soul saw the twelve transcendental forces - twelve hungry stars, burning eyes in the starless expanse.

One such abyss made your soul shudder with a name - Anathena.

The more you looked, the more their gaze filled the corners of your very being, and the more you felt your soul distorting into chaos, burned by the abominable, blinding light of these hateful stars.

And then it stopped. The warm darkness returned, and you gasped.

"The 12 Beyonders, True Stars of the Expanse. The source of everything, and the ones who attempted to devour the Originator."

Your voice still wouldn't come back, and Last continued to speak. As he spoke, you saw visions of a vast world below, and a vast sky above. A tapestry starting in the darkness, after which there were twelves lights followed by a thirteenth light of gold. From the golden light was born a world, and from this world were born sparks.

"The study of deep astrology give us the stories of a time predating the first soul. Before our beginning, there were 12 stars, each incarnating an aspect of a nameless force. Then came our beginning with the birth of the 13th star, as well as the force with a name: Ephter. The star which would in the future be named Ey Ephter became our world, which we called Yaremos and called ourselves Yarems. This was our beginning."

And then the 12 lights stole the golden light, forcing it to hide in a cocoon made from the darkness it was born from. Now the sparks were all but gone, and the golden light fell into slumber.

"Our end came through a story of jealousy. The 12 Beyonders, once nameless, desired to become. And for that they needed the one force which could grant a name, the force of the Soul. Attacking Ey Ephter, they triggered what we know as the Cataclysm."

A vision of the wide world below appeared, of the three continents and central desert of white sand in the middle of which was a single island radiating like a golden torch.

"The analysis of Sateris Zeos is clear. The World is awakening, and the pulses it has started sending herald the return of the golden age. However... if the world awakens, a second Cataclysm will occur. This time, our civilizations will not survive, and everything will be born anew. Yet if the world does not awaken, it will die and with it, all of us. But there is another new sign, a hesitation. A calling for the worthy ones of the New World."

Last pointed toward the central island.

"In the heart, where fight the last True Mages... Ey Ephter awaits an answer. This is what we can ascertain."

Last uttered another word, and all the terror of your souls vanished. His voice then carried words that were not his, words meant for a you not yet achieved. Like a mark hidden deep in your soul, you sensed embers.

"A time will come for you to hear the calling, nameless children of the gold. It will be the voice of a forgotten longing, it will be a hand reaching unrealized desires. Achieve your completeness, the ideal of your souls, and despair. From this darkness will come an answer that is yours only."

(...)

This is but the start of your quest.

Spoiler: Ulkas Status (click to show/hide)

Azarian, the Imbued Thoughtling (Dustan Hache)
It wasn’t quite what azarian expected, though maybe it was a misunderstanding.
Did it leave anything behind from it’s foraging? If it did, we should pick it up and follow after. He wasn’t called “red thing!”

Luck: [2] -Not much-

The goblin seemed to have left a few berries and some sort of still green branch behind, which you picked up right before rushing after him.

Following the fear trail of the goblin was no difficult feat, and the goblin quickly led you to what you inferred must have been his home. A small settlement among the woods where crude housings were nested in the trees, inside of which you could see goblins of various sizes pocking their heads out.

[Sneak]
[Hard 12]: [8]
Outcome: [3] -Failure-

With your most conspicuous appearance, it didn't take long for you to be detected. Screams of panic and battle resonated all over as the goblins alerted the others of your arrival.

Nearby Beings:
- Teal Goblin... and an entire tribe of it!

Spoiler: Azarian's Status (click to show/hide)

Squacks the Carrion Bird - (Devastator)

Continue suppressing

Suggest everyone stay near the beach at first, while I head ahead.

Do some poking around at ground level first to begin scoping out the island.  Call out a few times to see if anyone intelligent is around.  If we're going to stay, we're going to meet whoever it is soon enough.

The urge in you to change and grow is becoming increasingly stronger.

(...)

[Scouting]
[Easy 6]: [20] -Critical Success-

After a quick but extensive survey of the island, you noticed the crater at the center of the island at the bottom of which lied a pond of dark water. The pond was inhabited. Emerging partially from the waters was some sort of large serpent with the head of a catfish. It looked at you with watchful eyes, but you didn't sense hostility coming from it. It hailed you first with a lax voice loud enough to be heard from the edge of the crater.

"Hum, you seem new here? You are not here to cause any trouble are you?"

Allies:
-Kra, Cinder Vulture
-7 Carrion Birds

Nearby monsters:
-Very large catfishy serpent

Spoiler: Squacks Status (click to show/hide)

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1232 on: October 07, 2022, 11:30:07 am »

Azarian wasn’t sure what had sent them into a panic, but he could detect the hostility easily enough. He was prepared to fight his way out if needed, but he tried to at least return the little bits of forage he found, showing them as openly as possible before he was attacked.
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1233 on: October 07, 2022, 11:40:22 am »

(Trying to mark thoughts with italics.)

This feeling isn't mine.  I might have to change, but I'll never do it without a very good reason.

Continue Suppressing.

"Yes, we're new, and no, we're not looking to cause trouble.  Looking to avoid trouble.  There's me and a bunch of other carrion birds on this island and we're trying to stay out of all the weird stuff that's been happening.. it just got a bunch of us killed.  Too many."

"Just wanted to come and say hello, see if anyone owns this place.  Is this your island?"
« Last Edit: October 07, 2022, 11:43:42 am by Devastator »

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1234 on: October 07, 2022, 05:06:17 pm »

(Express processing, rolls and format will be added later)

Azarian wasn’t sure what had sent them into a panic, but he could detect the hostility easily enough. He was prepared to fight his way out if needed, but he tried to at least return the little bits of forage he found, showing them as openly as possible before he was attacked.

In the chaos and panic, some goblins formed a loose half circle in front of you while the other attempted to flee deeper in the forest. You showed the berries and the wooden stick, dropping them on the floor to the eyes of all.

Upon seeing your puzzling move, a goblin with more wrinkles than most shouted something in goblin speech, causing the chaos to stop. It then articulated words in the common tongue.

"What you want, Red Thing?"

(Trying to mark thoughts with italics.)

This feeling isn't mine.  I might have to change, but I'll never do it without a very good reason.

Continue Suppressing.

"Yes, we're new, and no, we're not looking to cause trouble.  Looking to avoid trouble.  There's me and a bunch of other carrion birds on this island and we're trying to stay out of all the weird stuff that's been happening.. it just got a bunch of us killed.  Too many."

"Just wanted to come and say hello, see if anyone owns this place.  Is this your island?"

The serpent rested its head on a warm rock with a ponderous expression.

"Hum no... it's not my island. It's good you are not looking to cause troubles then. This island belonged to a lord of the surrounding water once, but it died of illness here. Monsters from around still instinctively avoid this place. It's peaceful here."

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1235 on: October 07, 2022, 05:40:47 pm »

(The combat rules will be updated later today. Following some nice feedback from Sarrak, and a confrontation between past, paster, and present me through chaotic notes, I intend to go with the following changes:

1. Combat rolls will return to the old system. Attributes will determine the size of the dice starting at d10s, and modifiers from Situation, Skills, Status (aliteration yay) will then be slapped on top.
2. Critical rolls will keep using a d20, with the target threshold being modified by attributes, and maybe the 3 S.
3. Counterattack still remains.

I think that's it, though I may be missing a few things. Sorry for the fickleness.)

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1236 on: October 07, 2022, 07:53:05 pm »

"Sounds like just the place to stay, then.  Thank you."

Go back with the good news.  We made it out alive!  Time to settle down here.

Hmm, should maybe be a little careful.  It might be lying.

For practice purposes, and on general principles, resist the transformation as long as possible while getting everyone settled.
Once I feel the transformation finally overcoming me, tell the others I'm going to head to the mainland to see what I can do to make things a bit safer there, or rescue other innocent animals.

Head off, but double back once my wings change, so I can observe what's going on.  Maybe the snake catfish was just waiting for me to leave before eating the others.

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1237 on: October 07, 2022, 08:28:30 pm »

In the chaos and panic, some goblins formed a loose half circle in front of you while the other attempted to flee deeper in the forest. You showed the berries and the wooden stick, dropping them on the floor to the eyes of all.

Upon seeing your puzzling move, a goblin with more wrinkles than most shouted something in goblin speech, causing the chaos to stop. It then articulated words in the common tongue.

“To learn! To know! To see! To grow!”
Azarian chanted excitedly, reaching out to the mind of this elder goblin for an exchange.
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1238 on: October 07, 2022, 08:32:49 pm »

“To learn! To know! To see! To grow!”
Azarian chanted excitedly, reaching out to the mind of this elder goblin for an exchange.

Whether out of panic or paranoia, a goblin charges at you! The others seem as surprised as you.

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1239 on: October 07, 2022, 09:30:46 pm »

Azarian tried evade the goblin, weaving evasively as he tried to tire them out and only resorting to devouring it’s mind if it struck him first!
« Last Edit: October 07, 2022, 09:32:28 pm by Dustan Hache »

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1240 on: October 07, 2022, 11:42:26 pm »

Squacks the Carrion Bird - (Devastator)

"Sounds like just the place to stay, then.  Thank you."

Go back with the good news.  We made it out alive!  Time to settle down here.

Hmm, should maybe be a little careful.  It might be lying.

For practice purposes, and on general principles, resist the transformation as long as possible while getting everyone settled.
Once I feel the transformation finally overcoming me, tell the others I'm going to head to the mainland to see what I can do to make things a bit safer there, or rescue other innocent animals.

Head off, but double back once my wings change, so I can observe what's going on.  Maybe the snake catfish was just waiting for me to leave before eating the others.

[Transformation suppression]
[Easy 6]: [6]
Outcome: [3] -Success-

Your urge is silenced for now. But the pulse keeps getting stronger.

"Try not to attract too much attention here... Monsters haven't yet figured the lord is dead, that's why they still don't dare approaching."

The serpent then dove back into the pond and you left the crater to find a place where to nest. You found a hill with sharp cliffs with cavities protected from the winds and the elements, it was a fine place to roost. Over the day you gathered materials for your nests, and everyone rejoiced from no longer having to flee and migrate further than before.

(...)

Eventually the urge became too strong to overcome, and you told the others that you had something to do on the mainland, alone. Sensing your resolve, they didn't dare oppose your will and let you leave the island. When you were sure everyone believed you left, you let the changes of your bodies overcome you, changing into a new you: stronger and sharper. You then observed sneakily if anything changed.

There was no activity from the catfish, who didn't seem to leave the pond. Your companions were hunting the animals of the island for today's meal, and nothing seemed out of the ordinary.

Allies:
-Kra, Cinder Vulture
-7 Carrion Birds

Nearby monsters:
-Very large catfishy serpent

Spoiler: Squacks Status (click to show/hide)

Azarian, the Imbued Thoughtling (Dustan Hache)
Azarian tried evade the goblin, weaving evasively as he tried to tire them out and only resorting to devouring it’s mind if it struck him first!

Expecting an attack and unwilling to be the one to draw first blood, you focused on evasion and keeping a distance from the charging goblin.

[Goblin: Chaaarge!]
Spoiler: Rolls (click to show/hide)

[Goblin: Chaaarge!]
Spoiler: Rolls (click to show/hide)

Charging twice, the goblin failed to land a proper hit on you and finally ended up in an underbrush. There was tension in the air, and the goblins were looking both at you and the feet of the stuck goblin kicking in the air. Then the old goblin shouted "STOOOOP!". All the small teal goblinoid turned toward him as he stepped forward with an hesitant pace.

"Red Thing probably not dangerous! Not make him angry!"

Then turning toward you, he asked pointing at the stick you had dropped.

"Red Thing what exchange? Bring healing stick to trade?"

Nearby Beings:
- Teal Goblin... and an entire tribe of it!

Spoiler: Azarian's Status (click to show/hide)

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1241 on: October 08, 2022, 02:18:30 am »

I'm glad they made it.  And I'm glad they might not have to fight like I do.

I'll have to sort out what's up with the dead water lord back there, but later.

For now, time to see if I can make a difference.

..Well, another difference!  I saved them and nothing's gonna take that away from me.

Fly back to the mainland and see if I can scope things out in the super-thick jungle trees area.  I tried setting up a fight once, and it only worked out so-so.  Lets pick out one of the anemone-trees and set up a proper sneak attack.

If it fails, just fly away.  I've got time.  I don't urgently need to protect my friends, I can practice and figure out how to do this right.

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1242 on: October 08, 2022, 03:26:45 am »

“Friend ran off when it saw me, left it behind.. did not want them to forget!”
Azarian explained his encounter with the first teal goblin, and how he was just returning their findings. He did show interest in learning more about this “healing stick” though!

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #1243 on: October 09, 2022, 05:52:08 pm »

His remaining feeling of irreality - which combined interestingly with ever-growing curiosity - has lasted until mentioning of Anathena. Still, it has shaved the shock a bit, made it less personal, yet no less impactful.

Feeling as he was wakening from bliss of ignorance, Ulkas observed and learned, incorporating new concepts into his world-view, understanding what was said/shown/foretold much deeper and on many levels, words turning into scenes and ideas of their own, combining in a weave of past and future.

True Stars of Expanse. Ey Ephter’s call. Heart and True Mages. Maybe it was preordained, but there was some pride in being one of the first to learn that anyway. There was much to think about. For a first time in long while, Ulkas did not know what should he do to reach his goals, previous roads seeming bleak and inefficient under avalanche of new information.

”Seeing that completeness of our essence is required, is there a method that does not assume depopulating a country? It was my initial idea, but with what was shown, it seems vastly inefficient endeavor. Or is survival of the fittest an integral part of this call?”

Inquire on the nature of our “quest”. There are always indirect paths that lead to the goal bypassing obvious routes.
Check on Astrosa. It is not yet time for any personal talk, but she was most affected previously and the current vision seemed to be subtly person-tailored for maximum effciency.
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

Knightwing64

• Bay Watcher
  • The Most Handsome Bay12 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1244 on: October 09, 2022, 06:23:08 pm »

Hey, um, can I join? I saw this, and it looked cool, so I would down to play if you would let me, I don’t really know the plot, but I can read it if you want me too
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 99