Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 99

Author Topic: You are a Monster - Turn 63  (Read 216380 times)

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Monster - Turn 47
« Reply #1245 on: October 10, 2022, 01:11:34 am »

Hey, um, can I join? I saw this, and it looked cool, so I would down to play if you would let me, I don’t really know the plot, but I can read it if you want me too
You may join! Just submit a sheet. There is no need to know the plot, it will come to you eventually.

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #1246 on: October 10, 2022, 06:26:35 am »

Hey, um, can I join? I saw this, and it looked cool, so I would down to play if you would let me, I don’t really know the plot, but I can read it if you want me too
You may join! Just submit a sheet. There is no need to know the plot, it will come FOR you eventually.
Changed one word to reflect how it is  ;D
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1247 on: October 11, 2022, 11:22:11 am »

Squacks the Carrion Bird - (Devastator)
I'm glad they made it.  And I'm glad they might not have to fight like I do.

I'll have to sort out what's up with the dead water lord back there, but later.

For now, time to see if I can make a difference.

..Well, another difference!  I saved them and nothing's gonna take that away from me.

Fly back to the mainland and see if I can scope things out in the super-thick jungle trees area.  I tried setting up a fight once, and it only worked out so-so.  Lets pick out one of the anemone-trees and set up a proper sneak attack.

If it fails, just fly away.  I've got time.  I don't urgently need to protect my friends, I can practice and figure out how to do this right.

Back to the mainland, you surveyed the canopies and most particularly the great "anemone-trees" hidden among the jungle. They ranged from tall to plain massive as they had to have enough height to reach the sun blessed upper layer of the jungle. Approaching them without triggering them seemed impossible as they seemed to react as soon as something entered the range of their tentacles, whether it was day or night. Although these trees could unleash their whip like vines with frightening speed, they tended to wait a bit for their preys to approach before lashing. With a keen eye one could see these trees curling up slightly in anticipation when something entered their area.

[Try to set up an advantageous fight]
(Hard 14): [6]
Outcome: 3 -Failure-

No matter how many times you tried, the whole ordeal seemed impossible. The odds were heavily stacked against your favor, further making you understand why so few flying creatures were seen around. Fortunately it meant at no point did a swarm of creatures emerge from the jungle to fly after you.

Allies:
-Kra, Cinder Vulture
-7 Carrion Birds

Nearby monsters:
-Very large catfishy serpent

Spoiler: Squacks Status (click to show/hide)

Azarian, the Imbued Thoughtling (Dustan Hache)
“Friend ran off when it saw me, left it behind.. did not want them to forget!”
Azarian explained his encounter with the first teal goblin, and how he was just returning their findings. He did show interest in learning more about this “healing stick” though!

There was some sort of confused commotion, and the goblin that ran away from you had been pushed to the forefront. The wrinkly goblin pointed at him with a very puzzled look.
"Red Thing and Goblin friends?"

As confused as the rest, the goblin that ran away at first refuted being your friend, but after a bit of peer pressure started veering toward "maybe? I think?". Still very wary, the goblins asked you to stay at the outskirt of their settlement while a dozen of them watched you from afar. All responsibility for taking care of you was pushed on the prior goblin.

"Healing stick is healing stick." He said waving another branch as an example, roughly explaining that branch he had was a goblin folk medicine for sickness. It seemed some of their own were afflicted by a sickness, and they needed this branch. Then the goblin asked you a question.

"What is Red Thing?"

Nearby Beings:
- Teal Goblin... and an entire tribe of it!

Spoiler: Azarian's Status (click to show/hide)

Ulkas, the Horned Demon (Sarrak)
His remaining feeling of irreality - which combined interestingly with ever-growing curiosity - has lasted until mentioning of Anathena. Still, it has shaved the shock a bit, made it less personal, yet no less impactful.

Feeling as he was wakening from bliss of ignorance, Ulkas observed and learned, incorporating new concepts into his world-view, understanding what was said/shown/foretold much deeper and on many levels, words turning into scenes and ideas of their own, combining in a weave of past and future.

True Stars of Expanse. Ey Ephter’s call. Heart and True Mages. Maybe it was preordained, but there was some pride in being one of the first to learn that anyway. There was much to think about. For a first time in long while, Ulkas did not know what should he do to reach his goals, previous roads seeming bleak and inefficient under avalanche of new information.

”Seeing that completeness of our essence is required, is there a method that does not assume depopulating a country? It was my initial idea, but with what was shown, it seems vastly inefficient endeavor. Or is survival of the fittest an integral part of this call?”

Inquire on the nature of our “quest”. There are always indirect paths that lead to the goal bypassing obvious routes.
Check on Astrosa. It is not yet time for any personal talk, but she was most affected previously and the current vision seemed to be subtly person-tailored for maximum effciency.

The ancient human pondered your words with care, answering as best as he could.
"In this grand scheme, only the value of those who can survive and answer the call will be considered. The loss of life incurred is a consequence but not a goal of the calling, and not the only method that would exist. You may attempt to retrace our steps, your forefathers, by seeking the deeper veins. That in itself would prevent needless killing, but that is not to mean the task would be without endeavor."

Images of beings of might appeared before you, they radiated the light of Essence.
"With the present state of the World, it is a certainty the deeper veins are protected by the World's immune system. We call them Guardians, pure beings of Ichor made manifest who will indiscriminately annihilate any perceived threat."

Looking upward, toward the closed dome separating you from the sight of the 12 Beyonders, Last said with a cautious tone.
"Another option would be to steal the Ichor back from the Beyonders. But I fully oppose this method due to the inherent risk of beyond corruption, which would open a canal for them to interact with the World. You succeeded once, and it may embolden you, but I must discourage you of trying again unless you find no other solution."

Astrosa stood back up, having recovered her spirit. She looked at you with a defiant fire in her eyes, indicating she had recovered.
"I was taken aback for a moment, but nothing changes for us. Your schemes... your ancient history, I don't care. All I have is my rage, and I do not need to think about anything else. Let's cut to the chase. You know what we want, so give it to us. Power. That's what your god or whatever wants ultimately, right? For us to become powerful."

Ambition suddenly chuckled as if he had a realization, or found something amusing about what Astrosa said. His laugh then echoed in the great empty dome.
"Hmm hmm... Ha ha ha... HA HA HA! How could I be so stupid! The calling, this achievement of the self, a role someone chose for me, and the existence of the beasts and hunters of Marandars! Such a simple and obvious situation. You are right dear Astrosa, there is no need to think. Nothing has changed."

The black creature with golden eyes pointed at Last, but he didn't seem to really speak to him.
"So close as they were to completion, they refused the Calling! And you want me to kill them and take their Essences, isn't that right! Ah hahaha! Was my hate for them mine or yours? Well it doesn't matter anymore. It doesn't change anything."

Then he really spoke to the human in front of him.
"I have heard the Calling. You want us to follow it right? Then help me kill the Great Beasts of Marandars."

Roused by and annoyed at Ambition, the returned Astrosa shouted to overshadow the annoying voice of his.
"Ulkas! This man is wasting our time, don't forget why we came! We need power!"

The once silent station was now strangely lively, and Last smiled.
"Don't lose your fire, and struggle. I can only wish you luck."

The two of them said in unison.
"Whatever you say!"

He looked at you with a rare smile, maybe waiting for any last question you had before you would inevitably have to leave.

Spoiler: Ulkas Status (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 15, 2022, 08:30:24 pm by Nakéen »

Hawk132

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1248 on: October 11, 2022, 01:20:27 pm »

[Damn, I missed a few turns! ... This is what happens when you don't check Bay for several weeks.]

A sound akin to a tongue clicking, followed by Eximius' voice reverberated in Prias' head, "I haven't regained even half as much power as I would've liked... Let's hide for now and wait for an chance to retreat; I'll try drawing it out."

With Illusion, create an image of Prias carefully leaving the ruined home—not anymore than the usual level of caution we exhibit, with seemingly no clue of the intruder's presence. The idea is to divert it while we get out of dodge or failing that, at least making it show itself.
Perplexicon: A New Arena - Abandoned, but feel free to give it a read.

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1249 on: October 11, 2022, 01:37:40 pm »

Azarian seems taken aback by the question, not entirely sure how to answer it. Still, he had a idea of what they meant. “Not sure. Closest thing to me is Idea. Have name though, Azarian!”
His interest in the strange stick and the illness grew, and a proposal came to mind.
“I help find sticks to treat sick! Want to learn from elder as trade! Is fair?”
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1250 on: October 11, 2022, 01:44:14 pm »

(People are slowly returning it seems! Even Hawk is back.)

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Monster - Turn 45
« Reply #1251 on: October 11, 2022, 02:40:20 pm »

The ice crystal has grown heavy off the essence, and finds the crevice to settle into to evolve. It waits for the ice to melt, and as dawn rises the shell of ice cracks. A new sprite pushes their way out, icy wings stretching and glowing with mana.

Name : Kori?
Species : Elemental Spirit of Ice (Sprite Stage)
Appearance :
HP or MP increase : MP
Attributes increased : IND increased! STR now at 0.
Traits gained : / One of Mana: Restore MP equal to your IND each turn. Tiredness or mental status effects can reduce this. / Nature Spirit Improved, max bonus now scales with stage level.
Skills gained : / Arctic Wind: Inflicts moderate Ice elemental damage. Range can scale with MP cost. Antarctic Wind replaced. / Natural Force: 2 MP can be used to restore 5 HP.
Other Notes: Movement has increased due to no longer being a chunk of ice. Still small. Can fly. (And get pushed around by winds, as ever for the small and tiny.)

Kind of amusing they ate sprites, and end up a sprite. One of Mana is what Mana Attunement was the preliminary to. MA likely to be kept for senses and regen when resting, though may get upgraded itself at some point...
« Last Edit: October 11, 2022, 03:13:55 pm by TricMagic »

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1252 on: October 11, 2022, 10:53:36 pm »

Well, no time to give up yet.  There's still more I can try.

Lets try decoying them.  Can I get them to hit one another?  And what happens if I, say, drop some plain sticks as well?  Can I get them to commit to the wrong direction, or to get too many of their tentacles stuck?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2022, 04:42:50 am by Devastator »

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #1253 on: October 14, 2022, 01:41:26 am »

Seeing the heated opinions and feeling strangely calm and upbeat, Ulkas guessed it was time for their Partnership to end.

Ambition was powerful yet blinded by his own nature. This did not lessen Ulkas opinion of his one-time ally, but served as an object lesson for himself. And for Astrosa - as he would elaborate for her later.

It was in Ambition’s nature to go against the strongest. But was it theirs? No. Going against authority, for certain. Against both oppression and weakness, true. Against the flow, if able to. Kin of Defiance/Revolution, indeed.

Ulkas let his mind wander, returning to past ideas of crushing Sky Temple onto the guarded city below. Now, there was no malice in such thoughts, just cold rationale. Yet, Sateris was too well-kept and well-defended. Despite the allure of cataclysmic attack on humans below, there were no means to do so… For now. Ulkas promised himself to return to this idea later.

“Does Sateris possess equipment that could be of use in these times? I was wondering of better magical foci and external defenses for one’s mind, cloaking or fortifying it from outside influence. This facility should possess those aplenty, considering it’s nature.”

“I also have another request. Ancient facilities must have been connected by methods of fast transportation and teleportation arrays. Let us use those.”

(Astrosa, don’t worry. Power shall be ours, as it should be. Just let me make some final preparations. Ending a Partnership is best done without excess struggle.)

Ask Last for more useful trinkets and safe passage outside.

“Ambition. In spirit of our agreement, let me elaborate on my findings. It is your nature to strive and fight against the strongest. Yet it is not ours. Mine is pursuit of Knowledge - and while I do not shy from battles, they serve a distinct purpose.”

“I am not certain if you have noticed, but our world is greedy for stronger souls. It gives back less and less of their Essence, hoarding the purest parts for itself, giving us scraps of a meal. A fitting nature, but I digress. The stronger you grow, the less you are able to feed off the weak, initiating battles against ever stronger opponents - all to better feed the world. All to make it awaken faster.”

“Thus, in our current state, I view it inefficient to go after stronger opponents that have refused the Call. They look like… Preserved food, to me. Feel free to partake, I certainly understand how one’s nature influences their worldview.”
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1254 on: October 15, 2022, 04:08:36 pm »

Before I finish writing the current turn, I will clarify the combat mechanics.

Combat mechanics

Let's ignore the temporary combat mechanics I used for a few turns, which could be summed up to:
1) Determining a hit: d20s against a target difficulty modified by 2*[attributes difference].
2) Damage: damage dice levels, attacks have a base damage dice, which increases/decreases in level based on attribute difference.
3) Criticals: Epic failure/success [1 / 20] leads to a free failure or critical.

What I don't like: 1) leads to swingy randomness sometimes.

Compared to the Old Mechanics, where:
1) Determining a hit: dX vs dY, where X and Y are respectively modified by attributes.
2) Damage: Attacks have base damage dice, which is multiplied by a factor based on attributes difference.
3) Criticals: Epic failure [1] leads to a free critical for the other party.

What I didn't like: 2) led to bizarre damage, and annoying to deal with multipliers.

Now the new mechanics will in short be a mix of the two old attempts (refered to as OLD and NEW).
1) Will use OLD: dX vs dY, where X and Y are respectively modified by attributes.
2) Will use NEW: Damage dice levels. AKA Attack Levels.
3) Will use OLD: Epic failure [1] leads to a free critical for the other party.

Another point: failed attacks will give a variable advantage to the defender for their counterattack.

1. Attack Levels and Damage Rolls

The Attack Level represents the overall strength of an attack.
The Attack Level is determined based on the used Attribute, the Weapon used, and Combat modifiers.
The starting Attack Level is 1, which is a damage roll of a single d4.

Every points in the used Attribute increase the level by 1.
In Combat, the Attack Level is increased or decreased by the Attribute difference.
Basic weapons will generally increase the Attack Level by 1, with better quality weapons increasing the Attack Level further.

Attack levels 1 to 3:
d4: light attack (2.5)
d6: normal attack (3.5)
d8: heavy attack (4.5)

Attack levels 4 to 6:
2d4: light superior attack (5)
2d6: normal superior attack (7)
2d8: heavy superior attack (9)

Attack levels 7 to 9:
3d6: light devastating attack (10.5)
3d8: normal devastating attack (13.5)
3d10: heavy devastating attack (16.5)

Attack levels 10 to 12:
4d8: light fatal attack (18)
4d10: normal fatal attack (22)
4d12: heavy fatal attack (26)

(etc...)

Spoiler: Attack Template (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Attack Example (click to show/hide)

2. Talent, Skill, and Situation

What I want for combat is for players to feel the influence of three components: Talent, Skill, and Situation. To that end I define these three components as follow in an attack/defence roll:

Talent [Base Roll]: based on Attributes, innately swingy with highs and lows.
Skill [Skill Mod]: based on Skills or Traits, consistent.
Situation [Situation Mod]: everything else, variable.

Talent + Skill + Situation
[Base Roll] + [Skill Mod] + [Situation Mod]

Talent and Base Roll

The Base Roll starts from a d10, and 2 is added/substracted to the die size for each points of Attribute above 0.
That way every 1 in an Attribute increases the average of the base roll by 1.5.

Skill
First off, there are 4 levels of Skill. Basic, Intermediate, Advanced, and Master.
Skills offer flat bonuses.
+0: No skill
+1 to +2: Basic
+3 to +4: Intermediate
+5 to +6: Advanced
+7 and more: Master

The idea behind Skills is that they offer consistency, and allow someone to bridge the gap with a talented but unskilled adversary.
So far the idea is that:

A Basic level can close the gap of 1 Attribute.
An Intermediate level can close the gap of 2 Attribute.
An Advanced level can close the gap of 3 Attribute.
A Master level can close the gap of 4 Attribute.

Situation
The idea behind Situation is to reward or punish the decisions of players and NPCs, as well as add another layer of unpredictability to combat.
So far we have the following levels of advantage, but unfortunately I am yet not confident I can give proper guidelines. I don't want Situation modifiers to completely negate Talent and Skill, so I will be experimenting with the modifiers.

Decisive disadvantage (-4): +6
Strong disadvantage (-3): -4
Medium disadvantage (-2): -2
Light disadvantage (-1): -1
Balanced (0): +0
Light advantage (1): +1
Medium advantage (2): +2
Strong advantage (3): +4
Decisive advantage (4): +6

3. Magic... this wizardry

There is still a point which I'm really not satisfied with, and it's magic. I feel a lack of feedback from the system discourages players to attempt to invest in it, because they don't really know what to expect (and to be fair neither do I, which is not good!). My notes were a mess on that front, and here is a coherent draft.

Magic Mastery Skills will have four tiers: Basic, Intermediate, Advanced, Master.
Mastery tiers will affect MP cost, target casting difficulty, and the intensity of effects.
1. It is likely I will rebalance HP and MP if I standardize Magic mechanics.
2. It is very likely Skills will be affected by the addition of a <Magic> tag to tell it consumes MPs.

Level: [Damage] / Skill equivalent / Cost
Basic: [Normal] / Novice / Low
Intermediate: [Superior] / Intermediate / Moderate
Advanced: [Devastating] / Expert / High
Master: [Fatal] / Master / Very High

Magic characteristics:
Magic Types will have four characteristics: Cost, Translation, Idea, and Difficulty. These should help get an idea of what to expect from a magic.
Each Magic will of course have their own particularities or prerequisites.

Cost: the energy requirements of the magic. Determines casting cost.
Translation: the energy to effect conversion. Determines spell power.
Idea: a measure of how easy or hard it is to learn this magic's fundamental concepts. Determines learning difficulty.
Difficulty: a measure of the degree of skill needed to successfully cast a spell. Determines casting difficulty.

Examples:
Glyph: a magic using Glyphs and Mana as a medium.
> Cost is Cheap, Translation is Efficient, Idea is Easy, Difficulty is Hard.
Arcane: a magic using Words+Formulas and Mana as a medium.
> Cost is Balanced, Translation is Balanced, Idea is Intermediate, Difficulty is Variable with a low ceiling.
Song: : a magic using Voice and Mana as a medium.
> Cost is High, Translation is Variable, Idea is Intermediate, Difficulty is Hard

More musings
Somewhere along that, I would like for players to be able to choose to cast a spell "safely", or "randomly". The difference between the two being RTD rules.
A safe spell will either fail or succeed within expected parameters.
A random spell will be subject to RTD madness.

Trying to cast a spell above your skill mastery will definitely use the Random parameter, if the casting is even successful.

Now I can't start working on the turn haha.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1255 on: October 15, 2022, 04:23:34 pm »

So my little ice spirit is likely to get it's character sheet worked over now. In which Antarctic Wind was the basic, and now Arctic Wind is an intermediary. Along with other parts changing with the new magic system, leading to clearer specialization.

Of particular note is the Ice vs Fire bit. Going by FFX rules, both are effective against each other, which means upped offense vs lowered defense. But that's also determined by the area in some way, which applies to nature spirit's thing.

Good luck with the balancing Nakéen. Natural Force may end up being changed to a basic Cure spell instead, depending on what you decide. (Healing magic basics, or White Magic in FF terms.)

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1256 on: October 15, 2022, 06:12:07 pm »

Eximius Res, the Rusty Ring (Hawk132)
[Damn, I missed a few turns! ... This is what happens when you don't check Bay for several weeks.]

A sound akin to a tongue clicking, followed by Eximius' voice reverberated in Prias' head, "I haven't regained even half as much power as I would've liked... Let's hide for now and wait for an chance to retreat; I'll try drawing it out."

With Illusion, create an image of Prias carefully leaving the ruined home—not anymore than the usual level of caution we exhibit, with seemingly no clue of the intruder's presence. The idea is to divert it while we get out of dodge or failing that, at least making it show itself.

[Illusion] -2MP

Prias nodded and braced, ready to act on your cue. As a result of your spell,an intangible copy of Prias appeared standing. You sent it running outside and kept observing, wary for whatever was nearby.

Through the dense fog, you saw a shadow without a body moving along the ground, like a large pool of rapidly sliding ink. Something then burst out of the shadow, like a maw with countless teeth all made of a somber but clearly solid substance. The illusion of course was unaffected, causing the creature to rabidly lash at it. Dreadful snapping and frustrated growling intensified as the pool chaotically manifested an increasing number of maws to rend and devour the illusion, to no avail.

Prias was ready to run if needed, and waited for your signal.

Nearby Monsters:
-Shadow Lurker
[A dreadful monster of shadows, usually sliding along the ground like a large pool of ink. Surprisingly fast and able to manifest many maws, it is invisible when in shadows.]

Spoiler: Eximius Res Status (click to show/hide)

Azarian, the Imbued Thoughtling (Dustan Hache)
Azarian seems taken aback by the question, not entirely sure how to answer it. Still, he had a idea of what they meant. “Not sure. Closest thing to me is Idea. Have name though, Azarian!”
His interest in the strange stick and the illness grew, and a proposal came to mind.
“I help find sticks to treat sick! Want to learn from elder as trade! Is fair?”

[Goblin speech upgraded to Teal]

Adapting your speech to the goblins, you offered a certain trade that was definitely in their favor. The more you spoke, the less wary they seemed although they still kept a fair distance from you. His visage seemed to twist as he tried to determine if your name meant something special. Giving up, the teal goblin's gave widely opened its mouth in a clumsy attempt at a smile.

"Azarian! Goblin is Toc! You find stick and I say elder? Fair?"

Whatever the expression you gave, the goblin couldn't understand and may have been instinctively frightened. Well no matter, you had managed to end this matter without spilling a drop of blood, something you are pretty sure wouldn't have been possible back in the deadland. Whether you would use the more peaceful nature of this land to your advantage or not remained to be seen.

(...)

Luck: [2]

You then went to the forest in search of "healing sticks", accompanied by Toc who had most likely been ordered to keep an eye on you. He seemed pretty expandable, not a surprise for this species of weak social creatures with a high reproduction rate. After a fair amount of foraging, Toc shouted loudly, pointing at a brush with a foliage similar to that of the leaves on the "healing stick". The brush was full of thorns, and its leaves were a profund dark blue like the night you had yet to see.

Then you sensed a hostile presence close by, alarmed by a mind seeking to kill and consume. Turning toward the source of the mind, you saw a great blue wolf with white fur markings covering its body. This monster is dangerous, and you are sensing magic power coming from him.

Nearby Beings:
- Lineine Great Wolf (Stage 2) [Hostile]
[HP? MP? STR? CON? POW1? RES1? INT? IND?]
- Toc the Teal Goblin

Spoiler: Azarian's Status (click to show/hide)

The Newborn Elemental Spirit of Ice  - (TricMagic)
The ice crystal has grown heavy off the essence, and finds the crevice to settle into to evolve. It waits for the ice to melt, and as dawn rises the shell of ice cracks. A new sprite pushes their way out, icy wings stretching and glowing with mana.

Name : Kori?
Species : Elemental Spirit of Ice (Sprite Stage)
Appearance :
HP or MP increase : MP
Attributes increased : IND increased! STR now at 0.
Traits gained : / One of Mana: Restore MP equal to your IND each turn. Tiredness or mental status effects can reduce this. / Nature Spirit Improved, max bonus now scales with stage level.
Skills gained : / Arctic Wind: Inflicts moderate Ice elemental damage. Range can scale with MP cost. Antarctic Wind replaced. / Natural Force: 2 MP can be used to restore 5 HP.
Other Notes: Movement has increased due to no longer being a chunk of ice. Still small. Can fly. (And get pushed around by winds, as ever for the small and tiny.)

Kind of amusing they ate sprites, and end up a sprite. One of Mana is what Mana Attunement was the preliminary to. MA likely to be kept for senses and regen when resting, though may get upgraded itself at some point...

(Welcome back!)

A golden light shone from the deepest core of your crystalline body, and this light turned into a cocoon of gold. In this warmth reminiscent to a forgotten nostalgia, you changed and emerged from this chrysalid reborn. Faint crystalline wings, finer than crystal glass. A dress of a cold silk covering the petite and frail looking body of a small sprite.

As you emerged, a faint memory flashed in you. Although unsure if it was yours or not, you were sure that somewhere at some point in time existed a queen elemental of Ice.

I reworked some of your traits and skills, can you have a look and see if it remains coherent for you?
Notably, all your wind Skills were combined into Innate Elemental Magic.

(...)

Flavor: [3]
A freezing wind is blowing on the icy forest, invigorating your elemental body of ice. The clouds and mist have cleared a bit, allowing you to see the vast forest upon which reflect the rays of the sun, producing countless pearls of light. The song of tree and snow is rising in the vallley. You are free to go where you want.

Nearby Monsters:
-None

Spoiler: Spirit of Ice Status (click to show/hide)

Squacks the Carrion Bird - (Devastator)
Well, no time to give up yet.  There's still more I can try.

Lets try decoying them.  Can I get them to hit one another?  And what happens if I, say, drop some plain sticks as well?  Can I get them to commit to the wrong direction, or to get too many of their tentacles stuck?

Flavor: [6] -Overshoot-
To jauge the reactions of the tentacle trees, you first tried to drop a few sticks and branches collected hastily before the hidden monsters would attack you. Dropping them on the trees didn't seem to elicit much of a reaction from them at first, though when you dropped a larger branch than before on them, you saw them rustle and use a vine-tentacle to remove the large stick. For some reason afterward, you had the slight impression of being observed.

Then you attempted something more reckless: approach and feint them into maybe hitting another, or tangling their tentacles. Having them hit another would require diving into the canopies, which would definitely not be a good idea. In the air maybe you could have their tentacles get stuck and tangled, but it still required an approach.

[Tentacle Tree #1: Vine Volley]
Spoiler: Rolls (click to show/hide)
[Tentacle Tree #2: Vine Volley]
Spoiler: Rolls (click to show/hide)

Adeptly air dodging the innumerable vines fired at you like a volley of arrows, you zipped at the edge territory of two of these trees. There you executed the same expert manoeuvers, attacked from several sides at once but never letting them catch you. A slight mistake would surely have meant death, but you pulled it off. Now the two trees had grabbed each other vines, causing them to furiously pull and agitating the canopies.

Allies:
-Kra, Cinder Vulture
-7 Carrion Birds

Nearby monsters:
-At least two "Tentacle Trees"
[HP? MP? STR2 CON? POW? RES? INT? IND?]

Spoiler: Squacks Status (click to show/hide)

Ulkas, the Horned Demon (Sarrak)
Seeing the heated opinions and feeling strangely calm and upbeat, Ulkas guessed it was time for their Partnership to end.

Ambition was powerful yet blinded by his own nature. This did not lessen Ulkas opinion of his one-time ally, but served as an object lesson for himself. And for Astrosa - as he would elaborate for her later.

It was in Ambition’s nature to go against the strongest. But was it theirs? No. Going against authority, for certain. Against both oppression and weakness, true. Against the flow, if able to. Kin of Defiance/Revolution, indeed.

Ulkas let his mind wander, returning to past ideas of crushing Sky Temple onto the guarded city below. Now, there was no malice in such thoughts, just cold rationale. Yet, Sateris was too well-kept and well-defended. Despite the allure of cataclysmic attack on humans below, there were no means to do so… For now. Ulkas promised himself to return to this idea later.

“Does Sateris possess equipment that could be of use in these times? I was wondering of better magical foci and external defenses for one’s mind, cloaking or fortifying it from outside influence. This facility should possess those aplenty, considering it’s nature.”

“I also have another request. Ancient facilities must have been connected by methods of fast transportation and teleportation arrays. Let us use those.”

(Astrosa, don’t worry. Power shall be ours, as it should be. Just let me make some final preparations. Ending a Partnership is best done without excess struggle.)

Ask Last for more useful trinkets and safe passage outside.

“Ambition. In spirit of our agreement, let me elaborate on my findings. It is your nature to strive and fight against the strongest. Yet it is not ours. Mine is pursuit of Knowledge - and while I do not shy from battles, they serve a distinct purpose.”

“I am not certain if you have noticed, but our world is greedy for stronger souls. It gives back less and less of their Essence, hoarding the purest parts for itself, giving us scraps of a meal. A fitting nature, but I digress. The stronger you grow, the less you are able to feed off the weak, initiating battles against ever stronger opponents - all to better feed the world. All to make it awaken faster.”

“Thus, in our current state, I view it inefficient to go after stronger opponents that have refused the Call. They look like… Preserved food, to me. Feel free to partake, I certainly understand how one’s nature influences their worldview.”

The cryptic human mused your words for a bit before replying with a faint smile.
"I understand that power is required for the completion of your quests. Well then, as a sign of gratitude for re-establishing the connection between the two Sateris, and making it this far..."

Ulkas Luck: [2] -Not much-
Astrosa Luck: [5] -Lucky!-
Last gave you two rings very similar to Liel, one for Astrosa and the other for you. As soon as Astrosa touched hers, there was a reaction - as if something had woken up from a long sleep. Yours didn't react, and Last took it back. With a look of surprise on her face, the demoness asked puzzled.
"What... was that?"

"A dormant Arma-class Assistant. It has recognized you as a worthy wielder. In my time, this was a sign seen in Protector candidates. This is a considerable blessing, you can be proud."

Before anyone could ask why the reactions were so different, Last added.
"Your potential lies not in battle it would seem, and the Arma recognizes so. I suspect the mark of a Beyonder may be playing a role, although this is a mere speculation. Worry not, there is something else I can offer. Relics of a time we left behind, relics of war."

He gave you a black metallic crown, reminding you of something very similar you saw in the ruined kingdom of Valern where lived a certain golden sentinel and the spirit of a knight lord. You instinctively shivered.
"Your reaction... it is as if you have seen it already. This is a Crown of Command. A weapon of mental manipulation used in the wars of our world, long before peace was achieved. It is unlikely that the beings of this world know of the countermeasures against it, you will surely achieve your goals with it."

He finished by looking at Liel.
"I have sent the teleportation coordinates of known facilities to your Assistant. I know it is sly of me, but I wish for you two to keep working together. Allow me to offer my sincere apologies."

Finally he turned toward Ambition.
"For you, I have sent you the coordinates of your Arma. It lives still, waiting for its wielder to return."

The prideful being reacted only with a disdainful grunt upon being made to follow again the design of the Ancients. Maybe because he didn't want to speak to that man anymore, Ambition turned to you, listening to the end of your partnership without interrupting you.
"When we first met, I didn't expect for us to part with the other alive, but here we are. Good luck on your quest, Ulkas and Astrosa. Know that I respect you, and I hope we meet again in the future."

"For once... it was not that bad to have some company. See ya Ulkas, and try not to die."

Ambition threw a glare at Last, who smiled. He spoke a word, and Ambition was teleported to the location of his Arma. He then looked at you and spoke another word, filled with power. You sensed something occuring to you.

"I have cast a delayed teleportation spell on you. After being transported by the connective gate, think of a place and you will be transported there."

Obtained:
- Crown of Command: an ancient relic used in the wars of the Yarems, prior to the creation of Typhidna. Grants near absolute mental protection, and enhance the power of mental attacks.
- Unknown Arma: a living weapon of the ancient world, an Arma. Made to bond with its wielder, it is said wielder and weapon are fated to meet. Enhance and complement the innate abilities of their wielder by adapating to them. Its potential is limited only by that of its wielder.

Spoiler: Ulkas Status (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2022, 04:26:23 pm by Nakéen »

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1257 on: October 15, 2022, 06:39:37 pm »

(Appearance needs a new description, though you did a good job of it in the update. IND doesn't seem to have increased? Artic Wind also has a run on given Antarctic Wind is still there. I assume that spell would be a bit easier to cast.)

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1258 on: October 15, 2022, 06:58:34 pm »

(Appearance needs a new description, though you did a good job of it in the update. IND doesn't seem to have increased? Artic Wind also has a run on given Antarctic Wind is still there. I assume that spell would be a bit easier to cast.)
(Stage 1 to 2 only grants 1 Attribute increase. Shall I increase Ind instead then?)

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1259 on: October 15, 2022, 07:08:52 pm »

(Ah, Okay then, STR is fine.)
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 99