Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 99

Author Topic: You are a Monster - Turn 63  (Read 215736 times)

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Monster - Turn 47
« Reply #1290 on: October 19, 2022, 12:31:42 am »

It strikes me there will be a few big differences than the last one.  If I'm remembering correctly, everything had essence at the time of the last cataclysm, which is why it was so bad.  In this one, not everything will have it, or have had it for long, so it'll be much less disasterous.  Assuming, of course, that you high-level creatures don't succeed in murdering everything low-level.

I'd strongly prefer to not reach stage 10, (due to considering 'becoming god of the next world' as another failure state), so I'll have to work something out.  I don't really think that's a complete problem.  I bet there are probably loopholes, and if no normal loopholes, probably a failsafe in case there are no stage 10 creatures.

As for Last, well, that provided a sound justification for killing every weak creature.  But Ulkas did not ask the questions that Squacks would have, and thus Last didn't give the information he'd be interested in.

Is there a reason for Squacks to care about ancient vaults?  I don't think he can meaningfully investigate them due to having bad int.  They also seem to be pretty mixed up in causing this disaster.  He's also not humanoid, which is a huge dent in the whole weapons and equipment thing.. which isn't aided by choosing Strength as an attack stat, restricting his ability to make weapons.  The shapeshifting weapons bit also seems essence-based, which kinda sounds like the same way essence work, so just another stealthy way to enact the Call.

I'll figure something out, but I've got a lot of bad cards due to rejecting the Call and I'll have to work hard to make them work.

..Oh one last thing.  Slaughter isn't the word for what I'm trying to do.  Assassination is the word for Squacks.  Slaughter is the normal expected thing.  ;-p
« Last Edit: October 19, 2022, 12:34:46 am by Devastator »

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #1291 on: October 19, 2022, 02:32:18 am »

It strikes me there will be a few big differences than the last one.  If I'm remembering correctly, everything had essence at the time of the last cataclysm, which is why it was so bad.  In this one, not everything will have it, or have had it for long, so it'll be much less disasterous.  Assuming, of course, that you high-level creatures don't succeed in murdering everything low-level.

I'd strongly prefer to not reach stage 10, (due to considering 'becoming god of the next world' as another failure state), so I'll have to work something out.  I don't really think that's a complete problem.  I bet there are probably loopholes, and if no normal loopholes, probably a failsafe in case there are no stage 10 creatures.

As for Last, well, that provided a sound justification for killing every weak creature.  But Ulkas did not ask the questions that Squacks would have, and thus Last didn't give the information he'd be interested in.

Is there a reason for Squacks to care about ancient vaults?  I don't think he can meaningfully investigate them due to having bad int.  They also seem to be pretty mixed up in causing this disaster.  He's also not humanoid, which is a huge dent in the whole weapons and equipment thing.. which isn't aided by choosing Strength as an attack stat, restricting his ability to make weapons.  The shapeshifting weapons bit also seems essence-based, which kinda sounds like the same way essence work, so just another stealthy way to enact the Call.

I'll figure something out, but I've got a lot of bad cards due to rejecting the Call and I'll have to work hard to make them work.

..Oh one last thing.  Slaughter isn't the word for what I'm trying to do.  Assassination is the word for Squacks.  Slaughter is the normal expected thing.  ;-p

I think you are confusing cause and effect (if we assume that Last words are true - and we don’t have other sources right now; his are supported by some bits from Ulkas & Caedan). Cataclysm was not so bad cause there was so much Essence - although in part it was so - but because there was not enough and world entered reboot state from influence of Outer Gods. Next Catastrophe ending the world seems plausible to me.

Also, even low-Essence creatures would regress mentally, unless they are humans, due to Mind & Soul connection and Soul depending of Essence for its development. (Yep, our world eats souls, God-Emperor style)

About Vaults - I meant that humans has used them to recover civilization. Demons and some others used vaults in Fallout-style, recovering faster than others from Cataclysm. That you don’t find them useful does not mean they did not help Knowledge to survive
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1292 on: October 19, 2022, 02:44:08 am »

Yeah, and the more things that die the less essence there is, and the more concentrated it is.  So if Cataclysm, things will be worse after cataclysm the further it goes before that happens.

As for knowledge, if everyone is too dumb to be able to use and interpret said knowledge, what value is there in preserving it?  If the survival state is everyone back to animals, then what does it matter if we lose the libraries in the process?

Same for Humans.  If they're safe, so will their own archives be safe.  Why worry about losing access to ancient stockpiles of knowledge when the ones they use are going to survive?

Because it seems the alternative to cataclysm is 'everyone dies', just with some god creature designing the new world.  The only way for some things to not die is if Cataclysm happens instead.  At least the only way I know of, unless killing the world is fine for things that live on said world.

..Basically, if you're only concerned about knowlege surviving, why not build new vaults instead of slaughtering creatures recreationally?
« Last Edit: October 19, 2022, 02:46:47 am by Devastator »

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1293 on: October 19, 2022, 02:51:04 am »

Also, I'm totally wrong about everything, so don't listen to me.  No worries.  ;-p

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1294 on: October 19, 2022, 03:23:34 am »

Carve your path or die trying!

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1295 on: October 19, 2022, 05:11:48 am »

Update 50:

Squacks the Carrion Bird - (Devastator)
(If I land on something, does the environment penalty go away?)

Keep the tree between me and the oncoming Bark Monster, tearing at the tree with another attack.  Squack to try and confuse the bark monster about how high up or down I am on the tree.

..These trees are really annoying.  Probably good for the people who live here, though.

..except they probably have their own super dangerous monsters at ground level.  Or at this level, in the vines and branches.

..Why are there such dangerous monsters everywhere?

[Squack: Diamond Claws]
Spoiler: Rolls (click to show/hide)

You circled around the tree, trying to outpace the rapidly closing in creature of vines and bark. Diving a third time at the tree you attempted once more to tear apart the dense bark, to no avail. Then from above you, a vine came shooting down from the monster chasing you.

[Vineling: Vine Whip]

You adeptly dodged out of the vine, weaving between the branches. A half-dozen more of these Vinelings were starting to catch up on you, coming from all sides now.

Luck: [3] -Passable-
The situation is for now, unchanged.

Nearby monsters:
-At least two "Tentacle Trees"
> Tree #1 [-4HP]
[HP? MP? STR2 CON4 POW? RES? INT? IND?]

-A dozen "bark spawns?" Vinelings
[HP? MP? STR? CON? POW? RES? INT? IND?]
[Creatures of bark and vines with a close relationship with the "tentacle trees". Innately adept at tridimensional movement in the dense and treacherous jungle.]

Spoiler: Squacks Status (click to show/hide)

Azarian, the Imbued Thoughtling (Dustan Hache)
well thats not good, but with magical resistance as high as it has, surely its mind is still vulnerable? Mind eater time!

The wolf lunged at you and, before it could bite down on your body, you unleashed a mental attack once it had gotten in range.

[Azarian: Mind Eater]

[Greatwolf: Mana-rending bite]

As if something had siphoned a part of its mind, the Great Wolf contorted in pain midair, but it didn't stop it from rending your flesh with its powerful fangs. You felt it devour your mana along with your flesh and coloured clothes, and pain coursed through your body. The terrified Toc somehow managed to summon enough courage to help you, jumping on the Wolf's back to bite it.

[Toc: Goblin bite]

Somehow landing perfectly on the back of the blue wolf, Toc gripped the fur and bit as hard as he could, his sharp teeth diving in the neck of the wolf who was biting on you. Dark blood gushed on the goblin's face, who was not going to let go.

You lost a total of 5HP

Nearby Beings:
- Lineine Great Wolf (Stage 2) [Hostile]
[HP? MP? STR2 CON1 POW1 RES1 INT? IND0]
> -10HP/-2MP
[Spell Resistance]
- Toc the Teal Goblin

Spoiler: Azarian's Status (click to show/hide)

Eximius Res, the Rusty Ring (Hawk132)
"I-I'm fine now, Prias." Eximius answered in a somewhat shaky voice, "I felt a... connection. Another like me had found their wielder, somewhere in the Deadland—for what little I felt it, they're far, far more powerful than us. I have no clue of their intentions, but my instincts tell me that death awaits if we cross them."

He sighed, before finally answering the fledgling Hero's query, "Let's move closer to Safara and look for more suitable prey at the Deadland's borders. We're too deep for my liking, especially with that new user around..."

It appears that GTFO is still in progress.

[With Ulkas there to rein in Astrosa, perhaps death wouldn't be the immediate outcome and we'd get some player-player interaction that we haven't had for a while, but Eximius is way too paranoid and traumatized when it comes to potentially losing another wielder to go anywhere near there unless it was Prias' wish to do so.]

[EDIT: Oh right. I don't remember if I mentioned it, but Eximius only offers suggestions. So if you think that Prias would prefer to do something differently, go ahead Nakéen. Ultimately Eximius is not in the driver's seat, he's riding shotgun. Or maybe he's literally a shotgun?]

"A new user? What do you mean?"

Although curious, Prias trusted your instincts and he also thought it would be safer to move closer to Safara. With a brisk pace, he headed toward the south east were the village was located relative to your current position. During the time spent walking with a fast pace and avoiding monsters, he asked you about this new user and what did it mean.

(...)

Luck: [5]

You returned to the carcass of the previously defeated Roamer. Miraculously it was absolutely intact, and there was not a trace of monsters around. At first wary of this strange situation, Prias carefully watched for a potential ambush until he was sure the surroundings were indeed safe. He proceeded to cut up the carcass and extract the important pieces, as well as skin the monster whose hideous but incredibly tough hide would make for an excellent suit of armor. The meat of the monster had a vile stench, but the young hero was used to it as a hunter.

+Deadland Roamer Pristine Hide acquired
+Deadland Roamer Organs acquired

Once the carving was done, he washed his hands and used a special odor erasing powder to remove the smell of blood and entrails. You then moved onward to Safara.

(...)

Encounter: [3]

As planned, the dead lands next to Safara were safer here albeit still dangerous for a lone human. Prias found the tracks of a monster that he had hunted in the past with the rest of the villagers, before you two met. They called these Howlers, and were some sort of ravenous hyena monsters with a lone lifestyle. This one was particular big, and he would have avoided it were he still powerless. Using his skills as a tracker to follow the monster, he eventually found its lair dug under a mound of dirt.

Nearby Monsters:
-Aged Howler
[A creature with the body of a giant hyena with white chalky skin. Very aggressive and simple minded, making it easy to lead into traps. Excellent sense of smell and hearing.]

Spoiler: Eximius Res Status (click to show/hide)

Moretti the Mimic (Knightwing64)
use Identify on the humanoids, realizing there was no way they could could know I wasn’t a normal treasure chest, wait until they pass me and then chomp their head off

Yum!

[Identify]
[Easy 5]: [9]
Outcome: [4] -Success-

The shambling creature seemed to be some sort of escaped experiment, although it was unsure if it had a name. It was made using magic and several bodies were used as a base. Its blade was definitely more dangerous than your teeth.

[Moretti: Surprisingly Sharp Teeth]

Once the humanoid passed in front of you, with one leap you lunged on its head to chop it off. Reacting in time to prevent its head from coming off, the creature managed to place its unbladed limb in front of its face. You shook it violently in order to try ripping its head off.

[Experiment: Grafted Blade]

Despite your vigorous shaking, you couldn't rip its head off. The humanoid was also vigorous enough to stab you with its remaining arm, severely denting your body.

[Experiment: Grafted Blade]

The struggle intensified, and the bleeding monster managed to extract itself from your maw. Then with a brutal slash it clove your body leaving a great gash in it, exposing your interior and causing you to leak vitality. It was now all or nothing... you lunged for another attack.

You gnawed at its leg, causing it to fall and miraculously split its head on a nearby rock.

You lost a total of 8HP
+1 Lesser Essence

Nearby Monsters:
-Escaped Experiment [Dead]
[HP0 MP10 STR1 CON0 POW0 RES0 INT0 IND-1]
[Some bizarre cyclopean humanoid with a blade grafted on one arm and several metal rods protuding from its body.]

Spoiler: Moretti Status (click to show/hide)

Ulkas, the Horned Demon (Sarrak)
Ulkas grinned happily. Time for some recreational fighting has come!

Test my full range of capabilities as I was unable to fully extend myself before. Keep track of overall battle with Liel’s help and Mind Field. Support Astrosa if truly necessary - she needs to unwind.

[Requesting Time Skip (Training Arc), as demons need to relax before going for more Ancient mysteries.]

Time Skip request approved...?

Approval Roll (d6): [4] -Approved-

Astrosa became a storm of crimson, using her newfound weapon to impart devastating carnage on the unliving. She fought in the brutal and powerful manner of the Protectors you saw in the vision, although she didn't reach their level yet, there was in her a similar potential of destruction. Supporting her from behind, you tested the Crown of Command. Instantly the lesser undead submitted to your will, and the stronger ones were blasted by your attacks of the mind amplified by this ancient relic.

After the intense battle, you harvested the Essence of sufficient quality for you to absorb. You had become so powerful that Essence of the lesser grades didn't effect you anymore.

+80 High Essence
+500 Medium Essence

Where did you go, what was your goal during the time spent "relaxing"?

Spoiler: Ulkas Status (click to show/hide)

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1296 on: October 19, 2022, 05:31:39 am »

Use Hit and Run on the wounded tree to take back to the skies and disengage.

..once there, review what happened mentally.  There's two points.  Have I learned anything?

1.  It's a tree, there should be a top to it so maybe I can aim at that bit instead of going well down into the canopy?

2.  They're vines, I'm really good at flying, and I'm not very big.  Is it really that difficult to fly down there?

Go over this, visualizing what I want to do, where I want to hit with my claws, etcetera, planning out what to do in my mind's eye.  Take advantage of the lack of fliers to do this at my own time.

Oh and..

3.  ..How long until my claws are ready again?  Are they ready now?
« Last Edit: October 19, 2022, 05:33:11 am by Devastator »

Knightwing64

• Bay Watcher
  • The Most Handsome Bay12 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1297 on: October 19, 2022, 05:55:13 am »

BAD NUMS, OW

Eat the body for extra health and activate mimicry. Sneakily search for more food and weaker targets.

(First turn, almost dead.  Lol)

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1298 on: October 19, 2022, 06:42:59 am »

...How long until my claws are ready again?  Are they ready now?
So said Armok, God of Blood
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

Hawk132

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1299 on: October 19, 2022, 07:08:28 pm »

"A new user? What do you mean?"
While they were on the move, Eximius clarified himself somewhat. "That wielder I sensed. I have no clue what they're going to do with their newfound power, but I felt enough to know that they're a dangerous and unpredictable variable in the already dangerous and unpredictable Deadland... Perhaps that other..." He paused for a moment, futilely attempting to grasp onto a word that he should know, before giving up, "... weapon... could've sensed my existence just as I have sensed it?"

The ring felt itself and its own wielder thoroughly threatened by this mighty existence unceremoniously appearing so uncomfortably close to their stomping grounds and Safara by extension, which Prias could easily pick up through their bond.

"Hm. I don't think we can dig a pit without getting its attention, can we? A simpler trap might have to do."

Suggest preparing a tripping hazard with wire or a vine for the Howler—with perhaps some spikes or thorny brambles laid down for it to either fall into or run across if it manages to evade our trap, assuming we have the resources for it. Eximius will keep watch and be ready to alarm Prias if something unexpected happens.

Once the trap is sprung, be ready with Sever—the quicker we're done the better.

[Is it just me or is Eximius' combat style pretty much 'burn all the mana'? I don't remember having such MP management issues with Ferratus and Caedan. ._.' Though I suppose it's fitting in a way.]

There are alternatives, like Corruption, but with Dahak disappearance, we don’t know much about it and it seemed less of a danger compared to “Outer Gods”
[There's always a chance that the Armor gets bored of stomping undead in Easenval and leaves the Fog to embrace its destiny as a roaming raid boss with an endless hunger for Essence. We might learn something new about Corruption if that happens. Me saying this is totally not entirely motivated by me wanting to see it again.]
Perplexicon: A New Arena - Abandoned, but feel free to give it a read.

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1300 on: October 20, 2022, 02:04:30 am »

Ulkas could not help but be mesmerized by relentless slaughter. This was Astrosa’s dominion, such as his was the mind and control of others. And while slaughter was mot main pursuit, it still has beauty of its own, doubly so with his companion as main actor.

”I think you’ll see the most improvement from essence we gather right now. My speciality allows to bypass defenses to hack the minds, anyway. I suggest we hunt some more for you and then it would be my turn.”

All Essence to Astrosa. After checking for anything of interest here, we shall travel to next Ancient installation, hunting for Essence and training along the way. Exchange of Knowledge & Power, ahoy!

Legendary Marksdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1301 on: October 20, 2022, 09:09:50 am »

(Ahhhh, missed your return again ;-; glad to see you back though)

Spoiler: Stage 3 evolution (click to show/hide)

The battle went exactly as Skee planned, his pack even surpassing his expectations. After congratulating the other makralians for their battle prowess, Skee examined the arachnastinian's body, looking anything to learn from its anatomy that might help Skee in its future battles against its brethren. Are there any hidden weak spots ? Where are the vital organs under that thick carapace ? After that, if the meat from the fallen foe seemed edible, Skee and the pack would take a short break from the carnage to feed on it, after which they would look around for traces of other nearby Makralian packs to try and join up with them. After all, they were pretty deep into arachnastinian territory already, and the multitude of simian bodies scattered around the arachnastinian champion proved that a little caution wouldn't hurt. Then, regardless of whether or not they found friendly company, they would advance deeper into arachnastinian territory, looking for more enemies.

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1302 on: October 20, 2022, 12:05:39 pm »

(Ahhhh, missed your return again ;-; glad to see you back though)
(Ooh, I'm glad to have you back too!)

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1303 on: October 20, 2022, 12:55:49 pm »

The newly formed sprite stretches their limbs hands above their head as they limber up. The air is crisp and wonderful. The memories from their time as a chunk of ice, less so as they 'speak' for the first time in their language.
"So dumb... I get that I'm not that tough, but trying to beat that giant of a thing. Needs something more if I want to pierce that armor..." They think/speak for a bit before deciding to get used to their new power boost out of combat. Rather than inside of combat where things are more likely to go wrong. Between their hands they hold a ball of elemental energy.

"What's ice.. Snow, cold and brittle. Slowing."
Spell Development has been added to the character sheet. These Posts now include the current character sheet.

"Compress it into a spear of energy," till it's sharp, and then send it forth. It's good for improving spell power too. Hopefully."
Code: (Developing Spell: Arctic Spear) [Select]
Single Target - Focuses elemental energy, compressing it down into a spear of energy, like ice. Ranged Spell, Piercing?
Testing: Plenty of frozen trees around the edges of the field.

"Next. How far will it spread.. Try and get the flowing right so it can stick together?"
Code: (Developing Spell: Snowstorm) [Select]
Wide AoE around self - Elemental Energy from Arctic Wind is spread across the battlefield without significant energy compression. Somewhat continuous once set up around self.
Focus -  Slow buildup of ice to make targets sluggish and easier to hit. Not likely to impact much larger targets, more effective against smaller ones.
Testing Notes*: Tiring to keep up for long periods of time. Attempt to set up, then dismiss once it can maintain itself off MP spent.

After some rest and recovery, plan is thus. Practice casting Arctic Wind against nearby trees/targets. Finish up with attempting to cast Antarctic Wind in the same wide configuration Arctic Wind can do.

Entering into Spell Training and rest in-between. Interrupts from local monsters possible, though the stronger monsters stay away from the flower fields for whatever reason?

(Recap on previous stage's actions would be appreciated for audience/referral. Time for a Magic Arc to get a grasp on innate magical principles. Or in simple words, seeing just what this sprite can do to open up some more options beyond blast it with energy.)

(Missed multiple turns, haha. They're currently talking to themselves.)

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

Short Tl:dr - Arctic Spear development, Snowstorm development, Arctic Wind practice, and transfering Arctic Wind's +MP=Range property onto Antarctic Wind as the capper of the training. Resting as needed with various buffs.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2022, 12:40:42 pm by TricMagic »

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1304 on: October 22, 2022, 12:33:19 pm »

Azarian’s ability to mimic the goblinoid form was disrupted by the bite, causing him to revert to his normal betentacled form as he gathered himself back together and grabbed on to the wolf’s head in hopes the more direct connection would assist his mind eater attack.
”tic toc! I fight, you get plant!”
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 99