Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 99

Author Topic: You are a Monster - Turn 63  (Read 214829 times)

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Monster - Turn 51
« Reply #1320 on: September 16, 2023, 12:57:00 am »

If you don't mind taking another monster:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Sure! Let's hope for you (and everyone else) this was the last month long hiatus.
Is it okay to change the second starting skill to Flight instead?
Sure thing!

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1321 on: September 16, 2023, 01:21:41 am »

Sure! Let's hope for you (and everyone else) this was the last month long hiatus.
last month long hiatus? More like last near year hiatus.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1322 on: September 16, 2023, 01:27:48 am »

last month long hiatus? More like last near year hiatus.
I dropped an s here, but yeah. We were near the year long hiatus.

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1323 on: September 16, 2023, 05:02:34 am »

Update 51.1:

Kori, the Elemental Spirit of Ice  - (TricMagic)

Spoiler: Spirit of Ice Status (click to show/hide)

Will update action with fluff later.

Go explore the Frost Trees Grove further, keeping to the trees to stay out of sight and wind.

Exploration: [2] -Not great-

You set off to explore the Frost Trees Grove which you were not rather familiar with, bidding goodbye to the wispy sprites of the Ice Node. Weaving gracefully between the trees, you left not a single trace of your passage in the snow. The trees themselves were ever the same, pristine and unchanged, but something in the air seemed off. A heavy silence, where not a single spirit could be heard.

Further exploration led you to the scene of a very recent battle. A lifeless sprite colony and a badly mangled beast of white fur.

Investigation:
Bonus: Mana Attunement (+2)
[Medium 10]: [1]+2=12 -Epic Failure-

To try to understand what happened here, you studied the remains. Unfortunately not much could be gained from it, and even worse, you failed to notice something sneaking up on you. You heard a soft crunch in the snow, and turned quickly: right behind you stood a humanoid skeleton made of ice, its gaze filled with malevolence. It was wearing a cloak of faint fog, making it hard to see at times.

You quickly realised these remains were left there to set up an ambush. The skeleton beckoned to you with a chilly voice.
"Surrender yourself to me, little one. Your death will be quick and painless."

Nearby Monsters:
Frost-Risen Ambusher
[HP? MP? STR? CON? POW? RES? INT? IND?]
[A humanoid skeleton made of ice with a gaze filled with malevolence. It wears a cloak of faint fog, making it hard to see at times.]

Spoiler: Spirit of Ice Status (click to show/hide)

Squacks the Carrion Bird - (Devastator)
Well, I want to kill the big creatures, not the small creatures, and these trees are everywhere so they're clearly beating up the slimes.

But the slimes are all different colours, so they're probably are big special slimes too!

..It's too complicated.  Lets just focus on the now.

Attack the wounded tree, taking advantage of it's miss, with my newly-regrown claws.

Well then. You are not stopping until either of you drop dead!

Difficult Environment Luck: [2] -Failure-
You have not managed to find a way to properly navigate in this maze of green, your movements are still hindered when it comes to attacking.

Round 1:
[Squack: Diamond Claws (First Strike)]
Spoiler: Detail (click to show/hide)
Attack Roll: 8=[7]+1
Defender Roll: 16=[16]
[Failed Attack]

[Tentacle Tree: Vine Volley]
Spoiler: Rolls (click to show/hide)
Attack Roll: 15=[13]+2
Defender Roll: 9=[6]+3
[Successful Attack]
Damage (1d8): [2]

Squack HP: 15/17
Tree HP: ? [-8HP]

Round 2:
Attack Roll: 4=[5]-1
Defender Roll: 15=[15]
[Failed Attack]

Attack Roll: 16=[14]+2
Defender Roll: 10=[7]+3
[Successful Attack]
Damage (1d8): [3]

Squack HP: 12/17
Tree HP: ? [-8HP]

Round 3:
Attack Roll: 8=[9]-1
Defender Roll: 8=[8]
[Successful Attack]
Damage (1d8): [5]
Claws Integrity: [6] -Overshoot-
Your claws are extra sharp, but brittle. Additional +1AL on next attack, but they will break.
[Infighter STR vs CON]: [6] vs [3]
Infighter successfully applied. Medium Disadvantage (-2) applied.

Attack Roll: 14=[14]
Defender Roll: 13=[10]+3
[Successful Attack]
Damage (1d8): [3]

Squack HP: 9/17
Tree HP: ? [-13HP]

Slight Pain has subsided

You renewed your assault using your regrown claws, and in response the wounded tree seemed to redouble in its efforts to take you down. Barrages and barrages of lashing vines that you until then had managed to dodge were now hitting their mark and slowly whittling you down. This the tree's attack pattern change? It seemed harder to land clean hits too. After a third round where you carved a new wound in the tree, you decided to assess the situation and your current state.

Judging from the tree's reaction, it was panicking. But its vitality still seemed strong, you estimated you were halfway through taking it down.

Nearby monsters:
-At least two "Tentacle Trees"
> Tree #1 [-13HP]
[HP? MP? STR2 CON4 POW? RES? INT? IND?]
[Some dendritic creature that is, well, a huge and venerable tree with an arsenal of vicious vines at its disposal. Immobile but dangerous nonetheless, it seems to have some close relationship with the bark/vine spawns.]

-A dozen "bark spawns?" Vinelings
[Creatures of bark and vines with a close relationship with the "tentacle trees". Innately adept at tridimensional movement in the dense and treacherous jungle.]

-A group of coloured slimes
[Slimes, seemingly featureless bar their many individual colours.]

Spoiler: Squacks Status (click to show/hide)

Caar, the Large Raven  - (Crystalizedmire)
If you don't mind taking another monster:

Flavor: [2] -Not Great-

You were very recently forced to leave the forest you made your home in, along with many other beasts and dwellers of the woods. What led to this exodus? A monster-hunting expedition led by the neighbouring human kingdom of Fordania. You are not yet out of danger, the hunters could arrive anytime now.

You don't know much about the world outside the Trisma Forest, where you have lived all your life. There is a human kingdom to the East, and another to the West. They say further North the forests and green plains will disappear for a vast expanse of copper sand. To the South, migratory birds talked of a distant sea.

What will you do now?

Spoiler: Caar Status (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2023, 01:24:54 pm by Nakéen »

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1324 on: September 16, 2023, 05:32:01 am »

I've got one more good attack?  Lets take it with a Hit and Run, and then break off, to see if the slimes are doing anything.  Since I'm not hurting anymore, I should have a pretty good chance to dodge.. I almost dodged that last one.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2023, 05:42:37 am by Devastator »

Crystalizedmire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1325 on: September 16, 2023, 09:35:37 am »

Explore my surroundings
she/her

Hawk132

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1326 on: September 16, 2023, 10:20:46 am »

[I said it already, but good to see you back, Nakéen! Also, missed a turn, oof.]

"'Somehow'?" Eximius chuckled at his host's words, "Seems we still have to work on your confidence a little. We both have grown in power, and took down stronger foes. The trap just tipped the scales further."

The disembodied voice was amused, "Do I really have to remind you that you're a Hero? Wielding a weapon as great as myself, no less?"

A few minutes later, after taking stock of anything worthwhile that could be taken from the Howler's body...

"I can feel myself close to the next threshold, Prias. Let's see if we can't cull some of the weaker Monsters on the way back to push me over it."

This hunting trip's been eventful enough, let's take it easy at the end.
Perplexicon: A New Arena - Abandoned, but feel free to give it a read.

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1327 on: September 16, 2023, 02:10:23 pm »

Update 51.2:

Squacks the Carrion Bird - (Devastator)
I've got one more good attack?  Lets take it with a Hit and Run, and then break off, to see if the slimes are doing anything.  Since I'm not hurting anymore, I should have a pretty good chance to dodge.. I almost dodged that last one.

Difficult Environment Luck: [2] -Failure-
You took a dive for another round, your claws at the ready.

Attack Roll: 7=[7]
Defender Roll: 7=[7]
[Successful Attack]
Damage (2d4): [6]
Claws Integrity: Broken
[Infighter STR vs CON]: [4] vs [1]
Infighter successfully applied. Medium Disadvantage (-2) applied.

Attack Roll: 6=[6]
Defender Roll: 13=[9]+4
[Failed Attack]
Tentacle Tree is open for a Counterattack (Medium Advantage)

You slashed deep into the damaged trunk, causing sap to spurts out of the lacerations. You would have continued if your claws hadn't shattered as expected, so you opted to make some distance for now, dodging the vines effortlessly without the pain distracting you.

On a closer look now, the Tree seemed much weaker than at the start of the engagement. One or two more hits like the one before would definitely take it down, but without your claws that would be tough. Now what about the slimes?

Vinelings Situation: [4] -Good-
Slimes Situation: [6] -So Good it's Bad-

The slimes had engaged the Vinelings. From the aftermath the Slimes had made quite a number on the tree spawns, such that they were now gathering at the base of the tree you were fighting. Despite this victory, their numbers had dropped quite a bit, that must have been a pyrrhic victory. It was unlikely they would succeed in fighting off another group of Vinelings.

The good thing for you? Ground level seemed mostly clear, for now. The Slimes seemed focusing on latching at the Tree's base.

Nearby monsters:
-At least two "Tentacle Trees"
> Tree #1 [-19HP] Wounded (Med. Dis.)
[HP? MP? STR2 CON4 POW? RES? INT? IND?]
[Some dendritic creature that is, well, a huge and venerable tree with an arsenal of vicious vines at its disposal. Immobile but dangerous nonetheless, it seems to have some close relationship with the bark/vine spawns.]

-A dozen "bark spawns?" Vinelings
[Creatures of bark and vines with a close relationship with the "tentacle trees". Innately adept at tridimensional movement in the dense and treacherous jungle.]

-A group of coloured slimes
[Slimes, seemingly featureless bar their many individual colours.]

Spoiler: Squacks Status (click to show/hide)

Caar, the Large Raven  - (Crystalizedmire)
Explore my surroundings

Exploration: [2] -Not Good-

Despite still being in the outskirts of your home forest, you weren't very familiar with this area. You set off to assess the situation and to see if the surroundings had anything interesting of note, flying over the small expanse of deep green. That's when you noticed a curious glitter from afar, and overcome with curiosity you headed toward it to see what it was.

You arrived above a small creek with some curio glittering on its shore. You would have landed... but your instincts told you not to. Uneasy, you started heading back-

-but at this very moment, two white hawk-like birds emerged from above. They sported strange signs over their heads, you had seen those before: mage familiars! You had to deal with them and escape quickly before hunters arrived.

Nearby creatures:
- White Hawk Familiar [Hostile]
-> Hawk#1
-> Hawk#2

Spoiler: Caar Status (click to show/hide)

Eximius Res, the Rusty Ring (Hawk132)
[I said it already, but good to see you back, Nakéen! Also, missed a turn, oof.]

"'Somehow'?" Eximius chuckled at his host's words, "Seems we still have to work on your confidence a little. We both have grown in power, and took down stronger foes. The trap just tipped the scales further."

The disembodied voice was amused, "Do I really have to remind you that you're a Hero? Wielding a weapon as great as myself, no less?"

A few minutes later, after taking stock of anything worthwhile that could be taken from the Howler's body...

"I can feel myself close to the next threshold, Prias. Let's see if we can't cull some of the weaker Monsters on the way back to push me over it."

This hunting trip's been eventful enough, let's take it easy at the end.

Deadland Howler fangs and organs harvested

"I can't help wavering at times. Call it an inner conflict between my new strength, and the life I lived before. It has been drilled in my bones that overconfidence can become a deadly poison..."

Despite this, he had still been pretty reckless before even meeting you. What with travelling alone to treacherous peaks to nab the egg of a giant flying monster... In time, his confidence would keep growing. There was no doubt about that. So for now you suggested heading back home, while doing some light exercise on the way for good measure. Prias had no objection, while he felt in top shape, he did miss home a bit.

Heading home: [2, 2] -Not good, Not good-

The way home was disturbingly safe, especially for the deadland. You had now long entered your "hunting grounds", which overtime had slowly been cleared of monsters. Still, there should have still been some relatively harmless critters roaming around, but right now, nothing. The two of you had the same feeling: something had intruded your grounds, chasing away the remaining creatures.

Investigation:
Bonus: Experienced Hunter (+4)
[Hard 12]: [17]+4=21
Outcome: [5] -Overshoot-

You found the remains of creature who couldn't flee fast enough. Brutal kills with a blunt object, and no trace of feeding.
"It's an undead. This one may be intelligent."

With renewed prudence, the two of you continued investigating. More kills. And they kept getting closer to the village, aligned in a fashion that seemed to say "this is where I am going. Care to stop me?" To you, it seemed like this intelligent undead had issued you a challenge. There was no way Prias would let such a thing approach the village, so a confrontation was inevitable. Maybe you could formulate some action plan beforehand.

Nearby Monsters:

Spoiler: Eximius Res Status (click to show/hide)

Crystalizedmire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1328 on: September 16, 2023, 02:32:06 pm »

Use my Wolf bird ability to summon a bunch of wolves to distract the hawks at worst and at best kill the hawks.
she/her

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #1329 on: September 16, 2023, 03:05:28 pm »

Statis vaults? Interesting, doubly so with Xatares comment which implied that medical facility - which should have been specialized - fared worse than Sateris. Thought for later, perhaps, for Ulkas still felt some measure of unreality remaining within his mindscape from their recent visit to Sateris Zeos.

While medical facility won’t be useful in their current state, having fallback option could be vital later on. That and discovering more puzzle pieces of ancient knowledge to supplement his own.

”I’m glad to hear you appreciate~ Just as I have alluded to before, information warfare and diplomacy are powerful tools in their own right. Let me try to discover some more before we move on.”

”Well, Liel, ready to check if previous experience would let us deal better with current defenses? While medical facility should not be more problematic than Sateris, being throughout is important.”

Try to restore Endorfos. Disabling kill-switch first and checking for other good stuff later.
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

Hawk132

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1330 on: September 16, 2023, 05:00:23 pm »

"... Not a good time for a surprise like this," the ring remarked with a mental grimace. With depleted mana reserves, a protracted battle is not a very welcoming notion, "Let's follow the tracks and hope we see it before it sees us, catch it off-guard or when it's distracted - it seems to like going after the critters."

Oh boy, not looking forwards to this. Can't really lay a trap since we're behind it and we've no idea what it's capable of aside from likely being quite strong and possibly fast. Best case scenario, as far as I can tell, is hopefully taking it by surprise and getting a sneak attack in.

So for now, a quiet, stealthy approach and trying to look for an opportunity to engage on favorable terms.

[The keywords: 'intelligent undead', 'brutal kills with a blunt object', 'issued you a challenge' - all remind me of Eversor, so honestly, kinda scared over here.]
Perplexicon: A New Arena - Abandoned, but feel free to give it a read.

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1331 on: September 16, 2023, 05:03:22 pm »

(Treating Sarrak in priority to have them catch up)

Ulkas, the Horned Demon (Sarrak)
Statis vaults? Interesting, doubly so with Xatares comment which implied that medical facility - which should have been specialized - fared worse than Sateris. Thought for later, perhaps, for Ulkas still felt some measure of unreality remaining within his mindscape from their recent visit to Sateris Zeos.

While medical facility won’t be useful in their current state, having fallback option could be vital later on. That and discovering more puzzle pieces of ancient knowledge to supplement his own.

”I’m glad to hear you appreciate~ Just as I have alluded to before, information warfare and diplomacy are powerful tools in their own right. Let me try to discover some more before we move on.”

”Well, Liel, ready to check if previous experience would let us deal better with current defenses? While medical facility should not be more problematic than Sateris, being throughout is important.”

Try to restore Endorfos. Disabling kill-switch first and checking for other good stuff later.

[Disabling the kill-switch (INT)]
Attribute: INT 7
Traits: Expansive Mind (+1)
Skill: Advanced Mind Field (+2)
Other: Previous facility hacking experience (+1) Liel Support (+2)
Difficulty [Easy]: 7
Roll: [6]+6=12
Outcome: [3] -Success-

All in a day's work. Although unbelievably complex to common minds, this facility's security system lacked the complexity and dangerosity of the one you experienced back in Sateris. That must have been the difference between a high security installation and a partly civilian one in a state of terrible disrepair.

The lock disabled, you felt something unlocking. The gates before you didn't bulge, at least until Astrosa forcibly pryed them open with her monstrous strength.

"Power is running through the facility, but most of the systems are inactive. Apart from the core, that is. It should have started waking up, hence the distress signal."

You cautiously passed the open gate, entering into a vast, multi-level cylindrical room lined with closed cavities for some sort of pods. It reminded you a bit of some beehive. Some of the pods seemed to emit some light, but most of them were dark. You spotted a terminal, and now used to it you placed Liel on it.

"The Core room is ahead. Endorfos has not responded to contact attempts, we may have to manually activate it. Ah..."

Liel let out a pained cry.
"Pod failure rate... 97%. I have to... inform Xatares."

Out of curiosity, you accessed the logs. From what you could understand, these stasis pods held individuals of the past, people of Levem proper. Their body and soul were put in stasis, protecting their minds from degeneration. And it went on for a long, very long while. Then the emergency power system failed, as similarly to other facilities, relied on the ambient Essence concentration. So to preserve some of the dormant individuals, some stasis pods were used as emergency... batteries. It made sense, as living beings, they held Essence too.

Something caught your attention in the logs. They research Ichor here, that is, Essence. Its effects and applications, grand subjects such as the theory of Soul Manipulation, or the means of Resurrection and many more. A vast pool of knowledge prime for the taking, that would surely lead you to new heights if you could understand them.

"That's kinda pitiful. To die like that. And the survivors are so vulnerable, like fruits waiting to be plucked..."

"Xatares would... I would not allow that."

"Sorry, was that in bad taste? It's okay, even I have standards. Getting stronger like this would leave me with an horrible taste anyway, and I'm not as desperate as before. Right Ulkas?"

"Yes that... was in bad taste. Our cultural sense of humor still differ too greatly, it would seem."

Still bickering a bit, you moved further until you reached the Core. Like Xatares, it was a mix of machine and soul. An artificial creation infused with great intelligence. All that remained to restore it, was to pull a metaphorical lever. You only had to place Liel on the terminal next to the Core.

Spoiler: Ulkas Status (click to show/hide)

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1332 on: September 16, 2023, 07:59:43 pm »

Well, the slimes don't seem super-powerful, so that's good.  But if I kill the tree now, they're gonna eat the essence and level up.  I'd better talk with them and find out what's going on.  Plus my claws might grow back.

Activate Spell Resistance.  The tree isn't magic, but the slimes might be.

Land, and start talking with the slimes.

"Stay away from the tree.  It's mine, and I'm going to kill it."
« Last Edit: September 17, 2023, 02:26:40 am by Devastator »

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1333 on: September 16, 2023, 09:19:12 pm »

”Tick toc.. Feel strange now. Think I am growing. Dont want to scare you with it. Go back to tribe without me? I can catch up afterwards..” Azarian said as he condensed, shedding the ruined clothes as he reverted to his original shape in full, twitching excitedly as the sensation of change washed over him.
Evolve!
« Last Edit: September 16, 2023, 09:23:46 pm by Dustan Hache »
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #1334 on: September 17, 2023, 02:08:22 am »

Ulkas chucked a bit at Astrosa humor. As a demon, he found it perfectly morbid for the situation, but could see where the difference with Liel worldview lied. Both himself and Astrosa did not care, not truly, about persons from ancient past. He did crave knowledge, indeed, and they both strived for power, but to feel pity or remorse? The closest emotion he felt was respect - and it only applied to those he engaged in conversation with. Strangely, that did not include the Last. Unnerving.

”We are indeed not desperate. But I do find your comment funny, it might indeed be either cultural or learned thing. Not like either you, Liel, or Xatares had to evolve by killing others. Anyway, can you make sure that restart of facility won’t require more Essence, thus trying to kill the remaining inhabitants?”

Make sure we don’t accidentally flush ancient efforts into drain by being too hasty with awakening.
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 99