Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 99

Author Topic: You are a Monster - Turn 63  (Read 214840 times)

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Monster - Turn 53
« Reply #1350 on: September 19, 2023, 03:28:41 pm »

“I am Azarian, being of thought. I seek knowledge, and I help because knowledge is made to be shared. It is good to meet you, Tacataca, and I wish to know more of these lands beyond the geat earth-wall the humans guard.”
Conversation! also, keep two of the healing branches and hand the rest over.
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1351 on: September 19, 2023, 06:32:52 pm »

"The Lone Wolf was pushed out, but came back stronger from.. Outside." The faintest of instincts pushes her, of a time before where snow blurred everything. "Now the three forces unite against them. I do not believe golems an enemy, simply too hard to live with, and the other which pushed out the Lone Wolf is clearly not sane."

It becomes a question of which to live with. The swordsman preserves an area of peace among chaos, while the Wolf seeks dominion once more over it's rightful territory.

"Only one can be met, and I would seek audience with the one who guards this land of winter flowers. The outside is too scary, so I would meet the Swordsman risen."

A thought arises to cut off their words. "Which of the two best align with this place's interests? The Swordsman did not push out the Wolf, but the Wolf formed pact with the outside. Is it impossible for the two to coexist?"

... Probably. I know there can only be a single rule.

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #1352 on: September 19, 2023, 11:55:32 pm »

Ulkas shaked off slight feeling that Endorfos had subtle fun at their expense (what was that with ‘reeducation’?) and chalked it to mild language meaning shifts from facility specialization. He might be also slightly affronted by truth about his physical condition, but it was not a time to correct it yet. Power begets more power and physical strength was not his forte - and probably never would, until they had enough leisure time to camp here for weeks or - strange notion - months.

Still, while they had only limited time, there was potentially great benefit of checking out training regimes. Before, the best they could come with was what felt natural or was tested on their own - Ulkas grimaced remembering a particular mace strike. With proper understanding, it would be possible to hone their abilities in a more efficient way.

(I see no reason to refuse, Liel, unless we find out it guarded too heavily for our current abilities. Or having an even more important target to go after.)

“Shall we test what the training offers?”

Check the training and knowledge on offer. We do not have much time, but enough to get better feel & know-how.

[I request a small time-skip to our next destination, training & checking Endorfos knowledge along the way]
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Monster - Turn 54
« Reply #1353 on: September 20, 2023, 01:22:35 am »

Update 54:

Squacks the Carrion Bird - (Devastator)
(I think this bit might be a good time for a mini timeskip of sorts, say a few days for Squacks?)

That's an interesting way to look at it.  "these wisps of might trying to join the one who defeated their previous master."  I wonder if that's really what's going on?

There's a few things that I'd like to do now.  (OOC, this is what I'm expecting from it.)

Make a proper agreement with these slimes.  They're cool and I'm okay with helping them kill a few trees.  I do want to try and carry a couple of them over to the island.. if they agree with it.  To make things simple, the island is "Exile Island."

(Squacks isn't the best talker, but he needs practice, and organizing and cooperating with these slimes should help.  I also don't know if Squacks is strong enough to actually carry a slime on a stick over to the island, while flying.  Colonizing the island is to help preserve another group of low-tier or non essence creatures.

It could also be some more experience towards reaching normal intelligence.)

Second, lets get some magic practice in.  I need to go underwater to find out what's down below Exile Island.  There's also a lot of really dangerous river and water monsters.  There's no reasonable way that a carrion bird can fly underwater without using some kind of magic.

So use the two Spell Resistance spells a lot, maybe against one of the slimes if one of them has magic.  Try to figure out more about magic.

(I'm not expecting any reasonable chance of learning some kinda bubble spell to protect against water, but the only options are 'learn this strange, new magic' or 'evolve again'.  Squacks has a problem and should attempt to solve it without evolving, even though I suspect it'll be necessary.)

Scout the area to find out about oncoming threats.  The dangerous scout monster made it obvious that worse stuff is coming.  Lets see if I can get some warning before they hit here, so I can get set up.

(Giving orders or preparing an ambush or something with the slimes would help.  That scout was also really, really scary.  If Squacks successfully spots a huge incoming threat, it's gonna be necessary to evolve once more to meet it.  So kill a tree or two, fill up on essence, and be ready to evolve mid-combat or between combats for an instant-heal.)

After cleaning the remains of the tree, the biggest red slime wiggled with confusion at your proposition. He had one question: is there food on Exile Island? There was food on Exile Island. Was there enough for all the slimes? You had no idea, and the slimes didn't trust you that much.

In the end, they told you to take the weakest and most useless slimes among them. Burdens for the group they were happy to get rid of.

Timeskip
Training Water Magic: [2,3] -Failure, Passable-
Training Intelligence via interaction and leadership: [6,3] -Overshoot, Passable-

Without a mentor or some guiding hint, you didn't progress much on conceptual water magic. You did however manage to improve your Spell Resistance ability, reducing its overall mana cost (new cost 3MP). It would be nice if you could find someone proficient in magic to help you.

Your budding community of slimes and birds worked surprisingly well, although tensions arose rather quickly between feathered folks and slimy folks. They tolerated each others thanks to your surprising display of leadership, but disputes had started between the two sides in order to gather favor with you, the de facto "chief".

One day a slime that had wandered near the crater of the island came back terrified with a message from the great catfish: "don't forget my warning. This island is peaceful, I would like it to remain so."

+1 Intelligence from training

Scouting results
You never had the chance to explore the deep waters, but your instinct warned you of its dangers. Beyond the reef, monsters lurked underwater.

Training results
After a few more excursions to the mainland, you managed to gather enough Essence to reach your transformation threshold. Holding it in was a daily torment, like an itch that will not go.

Encounter: [1]
One day, you spotted a flying shadow coming from the mainland. A great winged beast, some crossbreed between a giant bat and a panther the size of an adult griffin. It seemed strong, but terribly wounded. It was fleeing something.

Nearby monsters:
- Giant Bat-Panther Monster [-25HP] Wounded
[HP? MP? STR? CON? POW? RES? INT? IND?]
[Some great winged beast the size of a griffin. Body of a panther, and wings of a bat]

Your allies:
- Carrion Birds
> Kra, Cinder Vulture
> Dozen of Carrions Birds
- Weak Slimes

Spoiler: Squacks Status (click to show/hide)

Eximius Res, the Rusty Ring (Hawk132)
[That's a scary stat block...]

Quote from: Prias
(Can we win Eximius?)
(I do not know... For now, focus on surviving, rather than winning, Prias. Think you can pull off that trick you did again? His armor is too strong for simple physical strikes, but if you channel and condense Mana Waves within me like you did just now, we might do some damage.)

Battle plan: Similar as before. HP's a bit low, so gonna use the healing amulet. Mana Shield for blocking. Attack with Manaburn Slashes, provide Prias with MP as necessary. (or just Mana Slashes, if Prias can do those and if they'd be cheaper)
Try to keep MP in reserve for a Blink, skipping the Mana Shield to do so if needed.

But before that...

Quote from: Nepkeros Champion
"Hmm. Your name, brave warrior."
Eximius' voice echoed forth in Prias' stead, "My wielder, a fledgling Hero, is named Prias. And I, his fated weapon, am Eximius Res. What is yours, champion?"

After presumably learning their name the weapon continues, "You say you're running out of time... You must've 'lived' for a long time, then. I think I understand now - by killing, you're trying to stave off True Death, if for a relative moment... is that it? But how long can you delay it, in this Deadland?"

"Perhaps there is another way for this to end?"
he asks, before continuing, "A warrior like you should be to feel just how much potential my wielder possesses... Rather than smothering it, perhaps I could convince you to unearth it instead? To pass your legacy as a warrior, bequeath your ambitions - onto him?"

Talking ho?
The champion entertained your talk. After all, talking is a mostly free action.
"Apologies. For my name has been lost to time's erosion on my mind. Prias... and Eximius Res... names worth remembering."

Parley Luck [2] -Failure-

Your offer to find another was met with rejection.
"Nay. This drive is all I have left: one more fight, one more day. While I can still think. I will not- cannot stop. Put me to rest if you can, while I can still think and fight."

(Got it. I will try- no. I can do it again. If I survive what comes next that is.)

New Skill Added: Manaburn Slash [+6AL / Innate Intermediate Magic / 6MP]
A skill coating a blade with condensed silver-gold flames of mana, producing a blade like aura. Penetrate the target's physical resistances and inflicts mana burn.
New Skill Added: Mana Slash [+6AL / Innate Intermediate Magic / 5MP]
A skill coating a blade with condensed mana, producing a blade like aura. Penetrate the target's physical resistances.

"Keeping your distance? You have good battle instincts, but you underestimate me."

The Lost Champion dashed with explosive speed, sweeping his massive mace in a wide arc. Prias activated Mana Shield. -1MP

[Challenger: Manarot Blow]
Spoiler: Detail (click to show/hide)
Attack Roll: 23=[20]+3
Defender Roll: 11=[7]+4
[Successful Attack]
Damage (4d10): [20]
The Heart Amulet activated in a pinch
Prias recovered 10HP
[Hawk-Eyed]: [5] -Critical Success-

The blow didn't connect, but that wasn't what the Champion was aiming for: it was only closing the distance to increase the effectiveness of his spell strike. All gathered mana and unlife exploded in a wide arc, expanding into a burst of purple mana. Prias felt his soul and mana burn, the energy bypassing his physical defenses. He would have died then, if the amulet didn't release the stored life energy it had accumulated over time.

Prias and Eximius are afflicted with Mana Rot
Mana Rot: every use of MP will consume a unit of HP

Prias found the strength to leap back, his gaze still defiantly looking for a way to survive.
"You... survived. Incredible. That was the last of my magic, but next blow will be the last."

You didn't waste a further second and blinked him away at once.
-1MP
-1HP

Prias had barely escaped death. But in that instant when the Champion struck, you saw it: its weakness, and its true nature. The armour was but an extension of its true self, a limb one would say. Its true shape was that of the mace - when it gathered power, when it struck, you felt it. Its soul was inside the weapon.

Prias quickly opened the two potions, gulping them at once.
+12HP
Potion overdose: [5] -Critical Success-

Due to some unclear reaction, the potions cleared the Mana Rot within Prias system, and by extension you. Prias still had some snark despite the situation, or maybe it was because of the situation.
"In the stories I was told, heroes tend to find some incredible power on the verge of death. Well I saw my life flashing, and I don't feel anything incredible."

Nearby Monsters:
- Undead Challenger [Mana Burn (-2 to Spells)]
[HP?-10 MP0/? STR6 CON5 POW? RES2 INT? IND?]
[A towering armour wielding a colossal mace as tall as itself. The metal had a rotten appearance, as if undeath itself had managed to seep into it, and large sections even had a semi-organic look to them. Its face helmet is morphed in the likeness of a skeletal face with razor-sharp teeth.]

Spoiler: Eximius Res Status (click to show/hide)

Caar, the Large Raven  - (Crystalizedmire)
Too bad it isn't terrorizing the humans. Unless...
Fly to the nearest human settlement(either east or west from here)

Retreat: [6] -Overshoot-
Thanks to the distraction of the chimera, you managed to escape. You then decided to head to nearest human settlement you had heard of, a place to the west in the kingdom of Vol, although you didn't know that.

From afar you could see it, some heavily fortified place sitting at the top of a hill.

Nearby creatures:
None

Spoiler: Caar Status (click to show/hide)

Azarian, the Imbued Thoughtling (Dustan Hache)
“I am Azarian, being of thought. I seek knowledge, and I help because knowledge is made to be shared. It is good to meet you, Tacataca, and I wish to know more of these lands beyond the geat earth-wall the humans guard.”
Conversation! also, keep two of the healing branches and hand the rest over.

The Goblins were really grateful for your generous donation. They had all but forgotten the initial uneasy first impression they had of you.
"Azarian, being of thought" he repeated.
"You know of the humans of the wall? Do you come from beyond the wall, from the land of death?"

You nodded, and Tacataca let a shriek of surprise. He asked you to tell him how you passed the wall, clearly impressed by your feat. He didn't know much from the dead land, only knowing his ancestors once lived there before the Curse of Death.

He told you of the humans of the wall.

They belonged to the kingdom of Empsiphion, to the east from here. Some weak, some powerful, most very ingenious. And very vindicative. They didn't particularly hate monsters, but if you hurt or killed a human, then it was as if their entire species knew of your did and marked you to death. Hunters would then chase you until you would perish. For that reason, Goblins had learnt to avoid humans. But what interested you the most came next: they were masters of magic and knowledge, and seemed obsessed with it. There were stories of really smart monsters who had managed to cooperate with humans, adopting their ways and integrating in their society. But these were stories, and these monsters generally had an appearance close to humans. Other stories would tell how these monsters were then killed and harvested for their parts.

In the end, he could only tell you that he knew what he was told. To him, Humans were dangerous and inpredictable.

Nearby Beings:
- Toc the Teal Goblin
- Tacataca the Elder Goblin

Spoiler: Azarian's Status (click to show/hide)

Kori, the Elemental Spirit of Ice  - (TricMagic)
"The Lone Wolf was pushed out, but came back stronger from.. Outside." The faintest of instincts pushes her, of a time before where snow blurred everything. "Now the three forces unite against them. I do not believe golems an enemy, simply too hard to live with, and the other which pushed out the Lone Wolf is clearly not sane."

It becomes a question of which to live with. The swordsman preserves an area of peace among chaos, while the Wolf seeks dominion once more over it's rightful territory.

"Only one can be met, and I would seek audience with the one who guards this land of winter flowers. The outside is too scary, so I would meet the Swordsman risen."

A thought arises to cut off their words. "Which of the two best align with this place's interests? The Swordsman did not push out the Wolf, but the Wolf formed pact with the outside. Is it impossible for the two to coexist?"

... Probably. I know there can only be a single rule.

You left, carried by the wind to find the Spirit. You found him in the place where you agreed to meet: a large ice flower field where he stood alone, a sword of ice at his side. He wasn't tall or imposing, his figure that of a seemingly normal human. He was covered in furs and rotting leather, holes revealing a wispy form under.

"You came, child of ice. The sprites carried your call. I thought our interests could align. You may call me Suro."

He turned toward you, revealing his incorporeal visage. A complexion pale like a moon, at times flickering like an illusion. The lights in his eyes was serene and cold, and so very sharp. For a moment it looked at you from head to toe, and you think you saw a light of disappointment in there. As if he hoped you were someone else.

You may speak with the Ice Sword Spirit

Nearby monster:
- Suro, the Ice Sword Spirit

Spoiler: Spirit of Ice Status (click to show/hide)

Ulkas, the Horned Demon (Sarrak)
Ulkas shaked off slight feeling that Endorfos had subtle fun at their expense (what was that with ‘reeducation’?) and chalked it to mild language meaning shifts from facility specialization. He might be also slightly affronted by truth about his physical condition, but it was not a time to correct it yet. Power begets more power and physical strength was not his forte - and probably never would, until they had enough leisure time to camp here for weeks or - strange notion - months.

Still, while they had only limited time, there was potentially great benefit of checking out training regimes. Before, the best they could come with was what felt natural or was tested on their own - Ulkas grimaced remembering a particular mace strike. With proper understanding, it would be possible to hone their abilities in a more efficient way.

(I see no reason to refuse, Liel, unless we find out it guarded too heavily for our current abilities. Or having an even more important target to go after.)

“Shall we test what the training offers?”

Check the training and knowledge on offer. We do not have much time, but enough to get better feel & know-how.

[I request a small time-skip to our next destination, training & checking Endorfos knowledge along the way]

Out of curiosity and maybe good manners, you decided to check these facilities even you if you didn't have the time to spare to stay here. For Astrosa, they had dedicated rooms with varied equipment able to withstand the full might of her attacks, allowing her to train unrestrained under a customisable environment. For you, they had rooms where they could adjust mana characteristics such as density, type, and conductivity. Practising spells and dedicated magical and mental exercices under these conditions could greatly boost your potential and mastery of magic.

Timeskip: [5] -Epic Success-
You left Endorfos, heading for the next place. It was far to the west, beyond the deadlands. You even reached the sea of Nepkeros, its colour gray and dulled by whatever curse afflicted the region. The destination was an island in the middle of unnaturally stormy seas, with colossal whirlpools preventing any boat from approaching (note: it's not Squack's Exile Island).

The island was entirely made of rock, lacking any life apart from a few pitiful rock elementals living there on whatever elemental energy they could find. There was some strange phenomenon here preventing Liel from pinpointing the exact location of the facility's gate.

Along the way you fell your fair share of creatures, making Astrosa much closer to her next stage.
+100 Medium Essence

Spoiler: Ulkas Status (click to show/hide)

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1354 on: September 20, 2023, 01:23:19 am »

Active Players List

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1355 on: September 20, 2023, 08:49:42 am »

"The forests have grown dangerous of late. I believe I have some skill with magic, but. A fog wraith that kills so mercilessly, and the Lone Wolf who has made some form of contract outside. My memories of that time are foggy, but I can only assume it was with demons."

"My goal is a simple one, I wish to grow and explore. Such is our nature, I think. But the peace you've established is good too. I don't believe this fight benefits anyone in the long run."

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1356 on: September 20, 2023, 09:16:22 am »

Daily, eh?  Much better than it was last time, where my resistance, although quite successful, didn't last this long.  It hurts, but one day I'll have control.

Whatever this creature's running from is probably pretty nasty.  Maybe I can draw them off, or hurt them.  I can probably outfly them.

Talk to the oncoming bat-griffin.

"Fly to the island if you want to live!  Hit the dirt when you get to land, and do not attack anyone there.  I'm gonna help you, so let me in close."

Cast Spell Resistance.  Fly towards the bat-griffin, and use [Infighter] to either land on the creature (in flight) or fly formation directly below it.  The goal is to be in position to surprise whatever's coming after it.  Try to cast Spell Resistance again, this time on the bat griffin.

(Trying to use Infighter not to get a defensive bonus, but to get an offensive bonus against my next attack.)
« Last Edit: September 20, 2023, 09:30:27 am by Devastator »

Crystalizedmire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1357 on: September 20, 2023, 02:38:59 pm »

I was really looking forward to terrorizing the humans, at least I'm not being chased by it.
Fly north to the vast expanse of copper sand
she/her

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #1358 on: September 21, 2023, 12:06:03 am »

Making sure that neither of their trio sensed anything out of ordinary, Ulkas hummed. That was unexpected problem. He would be fine to slowly comb through the island if needed, but it would mean the loss of invaluable time. Mayhaps he needed a different perspective?

”Liel, do you have any of the ancient maps or other hints? I’ll try to check out the signal, but tearing through the ground is low on the list of priorities.”

Control rock elementals to amplify search efforts. Maybe their mindlessness would be a boon for some traps are intended to fool the minds of onlookers. Even if this is not the case, triangulating onto slight emanations of beacon would be easier with many points of observation.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2023, 12:09:09 am by Sarrak »
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

Hawk132

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1359 on: September 21, 2023, 03:58:42 pm »

"That's how it usually goes. 'I got lucky after nearly dying' doesn't make for a good story, so those who tell them tend to embellish," Eximius replied with a low laugh, sharing in the snark before letting out a sigh to refocus, "So we better live through this so that some lucky bard gets the enviable opportunity to paint us in a better light."

"... He's dry on mana, but we're nearly there as well. Enough for one good strike at most," the weapon began in a level voice, in a vain attempt to conceal the growing unease made plain by their bond, as he saw parallels to similar struggles in his fragmented past. Will it happen again? Will he be able to hold onto his sanity if it does? "The mace houses his soul, damaging it is the way - hopefully it's not as tough as his armor."

"As far as I see it, we either try to end him here or run to Safara - where he'll eventually end up anyway, mind intact or not... Which poison do we pick, Prias?" Eximius felt like he already knew the answer, steeling himself, unease shifting into grim determination.

If we fight: Engage Limiter Release; draw on my own lifeforce, pour in all I've got to share in his burden and continuously reinforce him further - push Prias to the damn limit, past them, and then further beyond! And then, aim to finish it with one juiced-up Mana Slash, clashing my blade against the Champion's mace!

Unless Prias picks the second option?

[Either Prias gets an Anime power-up sequence, wins and secures his status as YAAM's resident Shonen Protagonist... or it ends here.]
« Last Edit: September 21, 2023, 04:10:23 pm by Hawk132 »
Perplexicon: A New Arena - Abandoned, but feel free to give it a read.

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1360 on: September 21, 2023, 07:53:50 pm »

"I... Think? it's far from lifeless there. Lots of ogres and lesser creatures that are trying to gather enough essence and influence to coalesce into something new."

Some chitchat, and more inquiries on the humans. Where is the nearest settlement?
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Monster - Turn 55
« Reply #1361 on: September 22, 2023, 03:59:58 am »

Update 55:

Kori, the Elemental Spirit of Ice  - (TricMagic)
"The forests have grown dangerous of late. I believe I have some skill with magic, but. A fog wraith that kills so mercilessly, and the Lone Wolf who has made some form of contract outside. My memories of that time are foggy, but I can only assume it was with demons."

"My goal is a simple one, I wish to grow and explore. Such is our nature, I think. But the peace you've established is good too. I don't believe this fight benefits anyone in the long run."

The Ice Sword Spirit seemed satisfied with your answer.
"I am glad, then. I wish for the fighting to stop, and for these fields of flowers to remain unscathed and a haven to all."

Seeing you mentioned your memories being foggy, he inquired about something.
"Per chance, do you remember or would you know a particularly powerful spirit wielder of ice? There is one I am looking for."

Nearby monster:
- Suro, the Ice Sword Spirit

Spoiler: Spirit of Ice Status (click to show/hide)

Squacks the Carrion Bird - (Devastator)
Daily, eh?  Much better than it was last time, where my resistance, although quite successful, didn't last this long.  It hurts, but one day I'll have control.

Whatever this creature's running from is probably pretty nasty.  Maybe I can draw them off, or hurt them.  I can probably outfly them.

Talk to the oncoming bat-griffin.

"Fly to the island if you want to live!  Hit the dirt when you get to land, and do not attack anyone there.  I'm gonna help you, so let me in close."

Cast Spell Resistance.  Fly towards the bat-griffin, and use [Infighter] to either land on the creature (in flight) or fly formation directly below it.  The goal is to be in position to surprise whatever's coming after it.  Try to cast Spell Resistance again, this time on the bat griffin.

(Trying to use Infighter not to get a defensive bonus, but to get an offensive bonus against my next attack.)

Pacifying: [3] -Partial Success-
The Bat-Griffin as you called it landed haphazardly on the shore, but he didn't let you approach him. There was still hostility in his eyes, but it didn't seem like it would attack you out of the blue. After all, it had other problems: from afar you could see four winged insectoid figures you had never encountered before.

Overgrown insects with serrated mandibles and countless eyes, whose spiky chitinous body crackled with elemental energy. One of them was much larger than the others, and seemed to crackle with three different energies. They would soon make landfall.

Nearby monsters:
- The Bat-Griffin Wounded / Temporary Ally
[HP? MP? STR? CON? POW? RES? INT? IND?]
[Some great winged beast the size of a griffin. Body of a panther, and wings of a bat]

- Elemanoptera Hunting Squad
[Overgrown insects with serrated mandibles and countless eyes, whose spiky chitinous body crackled with elemental energy.]
Tri-Elemental Elemanoptera
Fire Elemanoptera
Ice Elemanoptera
Lightning Elemanoptera

Your allies:
- Carrion Birds
> Kra, Cinder Vulture
> Dozen of Carrions Birds
- Weak Slimes

Spoiler: Squacks Status (click to show/hide)

Caar, the Large Raven  - (Crystalizedmire)
I was really looking forward to terrorizing the humans, at least I'm not being chased by it.
Fly north to the vast expanse of copper sand

Heading for the Copper Desert: [3] -Partial Success-

Sensing great danger from this place, you left for other pastures, interested by the copper desert far to the north. You passed over small scattered woods and a vast plain with rolling hills, until the air became dry and dusty. Beyond you the horizon turned copper.

It was a vast expanse of endless sand and occasional rocky terrain, with rare vegetation somehow surviving. You spotted a few creatures you could potentially hunt without risking your life, but not without escaping unscathed.

Nearby creatures:
- Some lizard with spikes on its back and on its tail
- Some upright copper-coloured lizard with markings over its body
- Some lone scarab with purplish carapace

Spoiler: Caar Status (click to show/hide)

Ulkas, the Horned Demon (Sarrak)
Making sure that neither of their trio sensed anything out of ordinary, Ulkas hummed. That was unexpected problem. He would be fine to slowly comb through the island if needed, but it would mean the loss of invaluable time. Mayhaps he needed a different perspective?

”Liel, do you have any of the ancient maps or other hints? I’ll try to check out the signal, but tearing through the ground is low on the list of priorities.”

Control rock elementals to amplify search efforts. Maybe their mindlessness would be a boon for some traps are intended to fool the minds of onlookers. Even if this is not the case, triangulating onto slight emanations of beacon would be easier with many points of observation.

With your mental manipulation, you took over some of the simple rock elementals to use as crude drone scouts. Assisted by Liel, you managed to triangulate the signal: inside the ground in-between very uneven rocky terrain, there was a massive hole with a half-opened circular gate over it.

Still no sign of life around it, nor directly inside it. You could feel the beacon somewhere at the unseen bottom of that pit.

Spoiler: Ulkas Status (click to show/hide)

Eximius Res, the Rusty Ring (Hawk132)
"That's how it usually goes. 'I got lucky after nearly dying' doesn't make for a good story, so those who tell them tend to embellish," Eximius replied with a low laugh, sharing in the snark before letting out a sigh to refocus, "So we better live through this so that some lucky bard gets the enviable opportunity to paint us in a better light."

"... He's dry on mana, but we're nearly there as well. Enough for one good strike at most," the weapon began in a level voice, in a vain attempt to conceal the growing unease made plain by their bond, as he saw parallels to similar struggles in his fragmented past. Will it happen again? Will he be able to hold onto his sanity if it does? "The mace houses his soul, damaging it is the way - hopefully it's not as tough as his armor."

"As far as I see it, we either try to end him here or run to Safara - where he'll eventually end up anyway, mind intact or not... Which poison do we pick, Prias?" Eximius felt like he already knew the answer, steeling himself, unease shifting into grim determination.

If we fight: Engage Limiter Release; draw on my own lifeforce, pour in all I've got to share in his burden and continuously reinforce him further - push Prias to the damn limit, past them, and then further beyond! And then, aim to finish it with one juiced-up Mana Slash, clashing my blade against the Champion's mace!

Unless Prias picks the second option?

[Either Prias gets an Anime power-up sequence, wins and secures his status as YAAM's resident Shonen Protagonist... or it ends here.]

Previously in You are a Monster Episode 55... even with the new technique he developed, Prias is unable to defeat the mysterious undead. But Eximius has a plan. Will our duo go anime and save the day?...

"Its soul is inside the weapon? I did not expect that, that's certainly unusual- nevermind."

You indeed already knew the answer to his question.
"I'm not wise. I'm sure running now would give us more chance, but it would also put everyone in Safara in danger. I can't risk that. We are finishing this now."

Eximius Res activated Limiter Release, switching the burden on himself

Prias took a deep breath, focusing his senses into his blade and partner. Ready, he revealed himself to the approaching champion.
"I had thought you fled. Oh? You seem in better shape despite taking my attack. No matter, you are only delaying the inevitable."

Prias defiantly challenged the Champion, pointing his sword at him.
"You are right. Nameless Champion, I issue you a challenge! We have both expended our magic, and this fight is about to end. I will end you here and now."

Not expecting such a challenge, the Champion stopped in its track, visibly surprised.
"Oh? Is it arrogance, or a trick? I accept your challenge, Warrior Prias. Come."

(Eximius Res) -3HP from Limiter Release
(Eximius Res) -5MP from Mana Slash
[Prias: Mana Slash]
Attack Roll: 26=[20]+6
Defender Roll: 15=[6]+9
[Successful Attack]
Damage (4d12): [20]

The two warriors rushed toward one another, weapon in hand and raised. Just before clashing, you consumed your life to empower Prias, and mana to manifest a blade of mana while Prias entirely focused on his movements. This unexpected move surprised the Champion for a minuscule instant, who had been so focused on Prias he didn't realize you still had mana left. His eyes seemed however to be saying "No matter", and he didn't stop advancing. He raised his mace defensively as Prias dashed with his trailing sword for a rising slash containing all his might. As the blade was about to be deflected by the shaft of the mace, Prias blade suddenly switched trajectory in midair - a feint, prepared since the start. The rising blade instead circled around until Prias had reached a helm splitting stance, bringing down his blade of mana on the head of the mace named Misery.

The ringing of metal clashing shook its surroundings, and the mace smashed on the ground with a loud tremor as the blade descended on it. Stuck between a powerful slash of mana and the solid ground, the mace cracked, partially exposing a purple shining core. Severely hit directly in its true body, the Champion staggered in pain.

"Aaarh!"

(Eximius Res) -4HP from Limiter Release
[Prias: Crush]
Attack Roll: 17=[11]+6
Defender Roll: 13=[19]-6
[Successful Attack]
Damage (3d6): [16]

Before the undead's body could react, Prias brought down his blade once more, piercing the core and causing a great shockwave of energy to be released with its destruction. As the unlife force and mana overcame him, Prias heard the voice of the defeated undead.

"I... remember. My name... remember it. Scorol... who even in death... could not give up arms... Now I rest... At last..."

40 Medium Essence obtained

Nearby Monsters:
- Lost Nepkeros Champion [Mana Burn (-2 to Spells)] [Wounded]
[HP?-46 MP0/? STR6 CON5 POW? RES2 INT? IND?]
[A towering armour wielding a colossal mace as tall as itself. The metal had a rotten appearance, as if undeath itself had managed to seep into it, and large sections even had a semi-organic look to them. Its face helmet is morphed in the likeness of a skeletal face with razor-sharp teeth.]

Spoiler: Eximius Res Status (click to show/hide)

Azarian, the Imbued Thoughtling (Dustan Hache)
"I... Think? it's far from lifeless there. Lots of ogres and lesser creatures that are trying to gather enough essence and influence to coalesce into something new."

Some chitchat, and more inquiries on the humans. Where is the nearest settlement?

He listened with fascinated interest, and then gave you more information about the nearbiest human settlement.
"There is a village to the very east of the forest, outside of it. Humans live here, but magical wards alert them of monsters. They have what they call a guardian golem to fight for them, be very careful if you try to go to the humans..."

Nearby Beings:
- Toc the Teal Goblin
- Tacataca the Elder Goblin

Spoiler: Azarian's Status (click to show/hide)

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1362 on: September 22, 2023, 04:00:46 am »

(For players currently discussing with NPCs, I will try to process your dialogue as quickly as possible so that you may post actions)

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1363 on: September 22, 2023, 05:27:22 am »

Oh dear, that's a lot of them.

Also.. fire, ice, and lightning.  I don't see water.  And that's a lot of water down there.

And they're looking for a huge griffin thing, not a bird.  So lets see just how tough they are.

Cast spell resistance.  Flee.

..That is, feint.  Fly below them, at top speed, like I'm running.  Then turn around and attack the big one.  Use [infighting], to try and stick to its back, and aim for the wing roots.  I want this elemental insect in the drink.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1364 on: September 22, 2023, 07:30:39 am »

"No.. I just remember ice and snow, being born there I guess. I was born from the cold, alone."

"I'm not sure who you're looking for, but I've heard nothing of such here. My time outside was short."
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 99