Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 94 95 [96] 97 98 99

Author Topic: You are a Monster - Turn 63  (Read 214826 times)

Wolfkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Monster - Turn 60
« Reply #1425 on: October 03, 2023, 10:54:34 am »

Swamp Slugipede

Start running towards another hole in the mangrove roots (even if it might not be an escape route), making it obvious which hole i am running toward. Then if the frog jumps in front of me, turn around and run back into the hole it was blocking. If this fails, just attack the frog.

Crystalizedmire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1426 on: October 03, 2023, 02:39:28 pm »

Hopefully I can kill it before it hits me again
Peck the lizard again
she/her

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1427 on: October 03, 2023, 04:28:27 pm »

"I assume this village is to the west, though I may be mistaken: Was that some kind of test?
Our help is offered, but no promise of stealth. Most care not for eachother's health.
A small price for our service would be nice to receive, especially since neither side has intent to deceive."

They want our help? sure, we'll do what we can to aid them if they're willing to compensate. Maybe they can keep the other humans from attacking us in turn?
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

Legendary Marksdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1428 on: October 03, 2023, 05:32:46 pm »

After the battle was over, Skee rejoined with his host's pack and quickly noticed they were worn out from the previous scuffles. He briefly considered injecting them with some regenerative serum, then decided against it. Their condition was not dire enough to justify such an effort, and they would probably recover quickly if given the time. Since there were also quite a few things he had been meaning to check since the great tournament, but simply didn't have the time to because of their upstart new leader, who had commanded the jungle raid so quickly. Thus, he told the pack they would rest a bit and tend to their wounds before going back into the fray.

One of the few things that had been on Skee's mind for quite a while now, but especially recently, was his host's improvement, or rather the uncertain nature of it. Since he had invaded his body, he had been through many battles, and while he hismelf definitely had improved, mostly thanks to the strange substance that allowed him and other monsters to evolve again and again, his host seemed to not have gone through such changes. Or, at least, not that he knew of. Which is why he wanted to reexamine his host's capabilities. Since the day he engineered Shnapa's hands to be more suitable to wielding weapons, Skee's host had shown surprising agility and proficiency with the bladed tail and felled many opponents. Had he improved at all since he started out ? Did he develop his skills ? Or did Skee's dominion over him prevented such new developments ?

Another thing that Skee wanted to test out was Shnapa's physical abilities. When he had to repair and rebuild most of his nerves, bones and muscles after that gargantuan monster of a greater leader caught him unaware and turned his insides to mush, he made sure they were better and sturdier than before, more efficient. But he didn't really take the time to examine the effects it had on Shanpa overall. Did he get stronger, tougher, more agile compared to when he first started using him ?

Last but not least, something else had occured after Shnapa's assisted recovery. A strange change, an impulse, or an awakening of sorts, within Shnapa's brain. Something unlike anything Skee had ever experienced while inside an host. In that moment, he decided not to prod into the matter further, as he was afraid of the possible consequences. But he couldn't resist the curiosity any longer. Besides, there could be room for improvement there too. After all, Skee was growing stronger and stronger and he felt that soon this body would no longer be enough, at least if he didn't change anything about it. And if this strange brain reaction he had felt could provide an opportunity for improvement, then he had to explore it. Thus, Skee finally attempted to investigate Shanpa's "brain change" from the aftermath of the tournament. What was that all about ?

He also kept plans in the back of his head for possible further modifications to Shnapa's body. The human-like hands had worked very well, and that successful first try at a modest change had emboldened him to try new things later. A fire breathing appendage perhaps ? Or maybe a set of wings, or a poison gland, or, or... But no, he shouldn't get ahead of himself. For now, he would simply reexplore Shnapa's body, noting everything remarkable about him, and Makralians in general, in order to get ideas of what could be improved upon.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2023, 06:19:54 pm by Legendary Marksdorf »

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #1429 on: October 04, 2023, 04:55:04 am »

This was… Bad. With his theories reaffirmed, Ulkas did not have enough time to think about possibilities.

(Astrosa. Fire Collapser as we fly. Liel, we go towards unstable one.)

While he could not quite get a hang on their enemy abilities, messing with it further was -hopefully- within his reach.

Mess with Mad Core mind, optimally supplying it false information. Try translocating before its spell reaches completion. Gather illusions into three rough clusters, so we would have a visual screen for ourselves and two decoy targets.
If Core changes the spell mid-way - react accordingly.
If translocation fails or takes more time - concentrate on Violent Mana Absorbtion & messing with Core mindscape to lessen the effects.
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

Hawk132

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1430 on: October 04, 2023, 04:38:49 pm »

"Hrm... Let's put them down one by one."

Have Prias split into two of him with an Illusion and attempt to draw away one of the Ogres into trying to deal with it for as long as possible while we try to take down the other.

Let's kick it off with a Mana Slash.
Perplexicon: A New Arena - Abandoned, but feel free to give it a read.

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Monster - Turn 61
« Reply #1431 on: October 05, 2023, 05:19:39 pm »

Update 61:

Squacks the Carrion Bird - (Devastator)
"The bird who saved your life, and who would have helped you fight those dangerous insects.  Fight and win."

Argue more with the creature, to make sure the birds and slimes know its nature.  Then kill it.

Let its essence turn as many of the militia creatures up to stage one as possible.  Volunteers.

"This is what happens when you take too much of the golden stuff.  It turns you into a crazy monster that can't stop killing for two days, even to fake being cooperative.  It just makes you want to kill forever, until someone kills you.

Some of you need to be stronger to help protect this place, but I won't make anyone take the essence who doesn't want to."

After that, find Scra, and see if she's willing to make an attack on the mainland with me.  Following that, spend a couple days healing, and practicing my spellcasting before going.  I want to know if I can cast Spell Resistance on another, and am wondering if recovering from all these dangerous wounds will make me tougher.

You pushed the buttons of the Griffin further, causing it to retaliate in blind fury. Wounded as it was, you made an example of him with one clean strike, of what those who greedily pursued Essence would become...

With the Essence remaining, you had just enough to bring two monsters to Stage One.

(...)

It had been a long time since you had last really interacted with Scra, the Cinder Vulture who had made the journey together with you and the Carrion Birds. She was more than willing to come along to fight on the mainland, itching for a fight.

"I'm ready to fight anytime!"

Innate Magic Spell Training [Spell Resistance]: [2]

You didn't have much luck trying to cast Spell Resistance on another. The principles behind it flew over your head, but you had the vague feeling your spell was being rejected.

Time passed, and you were back into shape once again.

Current Location: Exile Island
Nearby creatures:
- The Bat-Griffin Gravely Wounded / Temporary Ally
[HP?-18 MP? STR4 CON? POW? RES0 INT? IND?]
[Some great winged beast the size of a griffin. Body of a panther, and wings of a bat]

Spoiler: Squacks Status (click to show/hide)

The Swamp Slugipede - (Wolfkey)
Swamp Slugipede

Start running towards another hole in the mangrove roots (even if it might not be an escape route), making it obvious which hole i am running toward. Then if the frog jumps in front of me, turn around and run back into the hole it was blocking. If this fails, just attack the frog.

Feint:
Easy 8: [8]
Outcome: [3] -Critical Success-

You feigned running away from the frog to lure it toward you, and with an agility you didn't know yourself capable of, you slipped between its grubby hands and legs back into your hole. At the very same time some other creature made a movement similar to you, distracting the frog monster who went to chase this new target.

After some time, your surroundings were safe once more.

Current Location: Sobol Swamps
Nearby Creatures:
- None
Spoiler: TODO Status (click to show/hide)

Caar, the Large Raven - (Crystalizedmire)
Hopefully I can kill it before it hits me again
Peck the lizard again

[Caar: Peck]
Spoiler: Detail (click to show/hide)
Attack Roll: 6=[4]+2
Defender Roll: 8=[10]-2
[Failed Attack]
[Open to Counterattack]

[Spike Lizard: Tail Swipe]
Attack Roll: 0=[1]-1
Defender Roll: 5=[2]+3
[Failed Attack]
[Open to Counterattack]

[Caar: Peck]
Attack Roll: 8=[4]+4
Defender Roll: 7=[9]-2
[Successful Attack]
Damage: [3]

[Spike Lizard: Tail Swipe]
Attack Roll: 8=[10]-2
Defender Roll: 6=[3]+3
[Successful Attack]
Damage: [3]

To the death.

The two of you, feeling the jaws of death slowly closing in, fought with renewed intensity and brutality. A cloud of dust and feathers, of pecks and swipes. And then you hit it squarely! Causing it to bleed all over, and stumble.

But then a critical mistake! The lizard, betting it all on a faked moment of weakness, caught you off-guard with an overhead swipe that spelt the end of you. With a smash, your life ended on the scorching sands of the Copper Desert...

Fatal damage taken! You have Died.

Current Location: Copper Desert (Southern Regions)
Nearby Creatures:
- Some lizard with spikes on its back and on its tail 1/10HP
- Some lone scarab with purplish carapace

Spoiler: Caar Status (click to show/hide)

Azarian, the Imbued Thoughtling (Dustan Hache)
"I assume this village is to the west, though I may be mistaken: Was that some kind of test?
Our help is offered, but no promise of stealth. Most care not for eachother's health.
A small price for our service would be nice to receive, especially since neither side has intent to deceive."

They want our help? sure, we'll do what we can to aid them if they're willing to compensate. Maybe they can keep the other humans from attacking us in turn?

"My gratitude. I will do everything in my power to convince the villagers and guards not to attack you and your comrade. You will have to wait outside though, human villages are guarded by a construct that does not discriminate between monsters. Making an exception for you may take some time. Let me introduce ourselves then: I am Breios, an officer from the Cerulean Watch and the leader of this party. The woman with long hair is Yevlaine, our mage and field healer. The tall human in the back is Patreio, our frontline. And finally Paimni, our spirit caller."

The three humans greeted you with forced courtesy, but greeted you nonetheless. They even thanked you.

Yevlaine: "Thank you for the Friwispea. I'm Yevlaine."

Patreio: "Erm... hi and thanks? This is quite... something. My name is Breios."

Paimni (who, weakened, could only muster a few words): "My...gratitude. I'm... Paim..ni."

You then led the way, followed by the four humans. The trek through the forest was silent.

(...)

Scouting (Toc Helping):
Easy 6: [17]
Outcome: [5] -Overshoot-

With you and Toc's help, you managed to lead the human party through the woods while avoiding any encounter with monsters. Even better, you managed to sense more humans! That was great, more humans, more friends. You approached toward the location, and then Yevlaine suddenly stopped you by pulling on a strand of cloth you were wearing. Paimni suddenly meekly called out to all of you.

"!"
"S-stop... spirits... necromancers..."

Breios grabbed you by some tendril and Toc by an arm, pulling the two of you back.

"Don't make a noise, don't move any further. This is bad... at this time, we ended up finding the necromancers. We have to get out before they notice us."

Current Location: Lineine Woods
Nearby Creatures:
- Toc the Teal Goblin and Friend
- Human Party Wary
> Shiny and long weapon holding human, named Breios
[15/15 12/12 STR1 CON0 POW1 RES1 INT1 IND2]
> Human with long hair holding some strange object, named Yevlaine
> Big human like a small ogre, holding nothing. Named Patreio.
> "Sleeping" on the back of the big one human, named Paimni Badly Wounded

- Human Necromancers

Spoiler: Azarian's Status (click to show/hide)

Skee, the Insect Parasite (Legendary Marksdorf)
After the battle was over, Skee rejoined with his host's pack and quickly noticed they were worn out from the previous scuffles. He briefly considered injecting them with some regenerative serum, then decided against it. Their condition was not dire enough to justify such an effort, and they would probably recover quickly if given the time. Since there were also quite a few things he had been meaning to check since the great tournament, but simply didn't have the time to because of their upstart new leader, who had commanded the jungle raid so quickly. Thus, he told the pack they would rest a bit and tend to their wounds before going back into the fray.

One of the few things that had been on Skee's mind for quite a while now, but especially recently, was his host's improvement, or rather the uncertain nature of it. Since he had invaded his body, he had been through many battles, and while he hismelf definitely had improved, mostly thanks to the strange substance that allowed him and other monsters to evolve again and again, his host seemed to not have gone through such changes. Or, at least, not that he knew of. Which is why he wanted to reexamine his host's capabilities. Since the day he engineered Shnapa's hands to be more suitable to wielding weapons, Skee's host had shown surprising agility and proficiency with the bladed tail and felled many opponents. Had he improved at all since he started out ? Did he develop his skills ? Or did Skee's dominion over him prevented such new developments ?

Another thing that Skee wanted to test out was Shnapa's physical abilities. When he had to repair and rebuild most of his nerves, bones and muscles after that gargantuan monster of a greater leader caught him unaware and turned his insides to mush, he made sure they were better and sturdier than before, more efficient. But he didn't really take the time to examine the effects it had on Shanpa overall. Did he get stronger, tougher, more agile compared to when he first started using him ?

Last but not least, something else had occured after Shnapa's assisted recovery. A strange change, an impulse, or an awakening of sorts, within Shnapa's brain. Something unlike anything Skee had ever experienced while inside an host. In that moment, he decided not to prod into the matter further, as he was afraid of the possible consequences. But he couldn't resist the curiosity any longer. Besides, there could be room for improvement there too. After all, Skee was growing stronger and stronger and he felt that soon this body would no longer be enough, at least if he didn't change anything about it. And if this strange brain reaction he had felt could provide an opportunity for improvement, then he had to explore it. Thus, Skee finally attempted to investigate Shanpa's "brain change" from the aftermath of the tournament. What was that all about ?

He also kept plans in the back of his head for possible further modifications to Shnapa's body. The human-like hands had worked very well, and that successful first try at a modest change had emboldened him to try new things later. A fire breathing appendage perhaps ? Or maybe a set of wings, or a poison gland, or, or... But no, he shouldn't get ahead of himself. For now, he would simply reexplore Shnapa's body, noting everything remarkable about him, and Makralians in general, in order to get ideas of what could be improved upon.

Following your rest order, the pack devoured the remains of their fallen enemies and took a well-deserved nap to recover their forces.

You took this moment of respite to recenter on your host, trying to understand him and his abilities. He had indeed become much stronger since you had first started using him, and likely much stronger than he could have ever become on his own. His body structure was in a constant process of adaptation, and the recent intense battles he had been through had slowly ingrained a budding sense of battle that would surely truly blossom later.

Budding Skill: Makralian Fighting Style

Brain Change Investigation:
Easy 4: [20]
Outcome: / -Critical Success-
You then took a look at this strange brain change you had once noticed, but didn't dwell much on. A part of his brain was active in a very unusual way, independently from your control. Like a dreaming brain. You took a peak at this dream... there was a Makralian sleeping on a sunbaked branch. He opened his eyes.

"Hello. I have been wanting to speak to you. Ack! I guess we didn't really have a chance before? Hehehe. My name is Shnapa, but I guess you already know? Thanks for using my body. I have been meaning to tell you for a while now... am I weird? I have so many questions. Like who are you, where do you come from, what do you like... Maybe you do too? Sorry if I'm being nosy... everything is just pouring out. Oh, I don't really know your name. What's your name, crawling-thing-in-me?"

Shnapa's mind, remnants of his self, or had he always been there watching from the sidelines? In a sense, you felt the Essence had been slightly responsible for this. You felt this power had some effect on the self that you couldn't really understand, as if the more one got, the more it got closer to some better version of themselves.

Current Location: Central Savarde Jungle -- Arachnastinian Territories --- Inner Arachnastinian Territories
Nearby Creatures:
[Immediate Surroundings]
-Shnapa's Pack [Friends!]
[HP10 MP10 STR 1 CON 1 POW 0 RES 0 INT -1 IND -1]
-> Knap-knap 8/10
-> Apa-nap 8/10
-> Kenep 8/10
-> Peshnep 8/10

[Makralian Horde]
-The Horde Leader: Krauraka
-The 7 Greater Leaders
-The 39 Lesser Leaders
-The 24 last contestants
-Nearly a thousand of Adult Makralians

[Arachnastinian "Spiderfolk" Kingdom]
-Countless Arachnastinians

Spoiler: Skee Status (click to show/hide)

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1432 on: October 05, 2023, 05:20:44 pm »

Ulkas, the Horned Demon (Sarrak)
This was… Bad. With his theories reaffirmed, Ulkas did not have enough time to think about possibilities.

(Astrosa. Fire Collapser as we fly. Liel, we go towards unstable one.)

While he could not quite get a hang on their enemy abilities, messing with it further was -hopefully- within his reach.

Mess with Mad Core mind, optimally supplying it false information. Try translocating before its spell reaches completion. Gather illusions into three rough clusters, so we would have a visual screen for ourselves and two decoy targets.
If Core changes the spell mid-way - react accordingly.
If translocation fails or takes more time - concentrate on Violent Mana Absorbtion & messing with Core mindscape to lessen the effects.

Gone was the chimeric abomination of chrome and metal, replaced by an immaculate battle form that mere mortals would have worshipped as a god of war. The structural integration, the mind architecture, all finely crafted according to an ancient and precise design. A glimpse of perfection, of an assimilated harmony that was incomplete still. But oh so close to that glimpse...

This was your enemy.

[Astrosa: Xatares Collapser]
Core Stage: 8
Astrosa: Arma Support (+4)
Attack Level: +6AL (Stage 8 target)

Core CON: 5
> Situation: None
> Other: Soulstable Shell (+4AR)

Att Diff: 3
Final AL: 6
Astrosa Attack Roll (1d26): [17]
Core Defense Roll (1d20): [6]
[Attack Successful]
Damage (2d8): [13]
Flavor: [2] -No Additional Effect-

Astrosa fired the Collapser. You felt a low drone in your soul, and then a resonating echo emanating from the Rogue Core. A piece of immaculate shell shattered under the strain of its own harmony.

(...)

You were confident that you could react to the incoming spell with one action of your own. A forced translocation, or a mind disruption. But what if you could attempt both?...

[Extreme Analysis + Mind Separation]
Hard 14: [14]
Outcome: [1] -Success-

Remembering Ambition, you attempted in the heat of battle to try your hand at parallel casting. Time seemed to slow for you. You quickly reallocated all necessary mental resources to Mind Disruption, then shaved off the excess senses and functions of your body to get the necessary mental and magical power to simultaneously cast a Translocation spell.

Mind Disruption: False Information (Advanced)
Ulkas Casting: [Advanced] Mental Techniques
-4MP
INT 7 vs INT 5
Ulkas Bonus: Crown of Command+Mind Field+Extreme Analysis (+12)
Core Bonus: True Eye+Outer Mind Carapace (+8)
Ulkas (1d24): [23]+12=35
Core (1d20): [6]+8=13

You overwhelmed the Rogue Core with a barrage of redundant mental information within which were hidden countless thought parasites, while deflecting the counter-disruption of the Core. Each action felt like a stake of strain in your mind. You had no time to think. You forgot how to think. Instinct. The sum of your experiences. Good. Target still retaliating within acceptable mental parameters. Mental vista stable. Strain level: dangerous. Initiating second phase.

Translocation (Advanced)
Ulkas Casting: [Advanced] Innate Translocation Magic
-8MP
POW 1 vs RES 5
Ulkas Bonus: Advanced Magic (+5)
Core Bonus: Ancient Magic+Soulstable Shell (+10)
Core Malus: Mind Disruption (-6)
Ulkas (1d12): [10]+5=15
Core (1d20): [6]+4=10

Incoming Counter Casting. Sequences Unknown. Overwhelm risk: very high. Executing Decoy Spell Sequences....... Unexpected success. Executing Translocation-

"Translocation... successful. Exploiting node instability to prevent tracing..."

STRAINSTRAINSTRAIN: [2]
The sound of mindglass shattering.

M-mental vista uns-table. Pain threshold exceeded. Confusion. Forcefully resetting mental vista-

You lost consciousness.

(...)

You woke up. After feeling your breath, you felt bodily warmth on your cheek, and on your arm. You opened your eyes, and wanted to say something.

"Shh. Rest for now. We are safe."

Astrosa was sitting on a mound of corpses and armours, having fashioned a makeshift throne for herself. Your head was resting on her lap, and her hand on your arm. Calming. The Blood Gown had extended into a warm and soft sheet protecting you from the elements.

Current Location: -Dead Sea of Nepkeros (West from Nepkeros) -- Barren Lone Island --- Unknown Location???
Nearby creatures:
- Ersenas, Rogue Core
[HP 99/99 MP 95/99 STR 3+4 CON 2+3 POW 4+4 RES 2+3 INT 4+1 IND 2+2]
[A Control Core gone rogue after aeons of isolation. It has assimilated the security automatons of its own facility, forging for itself a bew body of ancient steel. It hovers above the ground, undisturbed by its lack of legs. It has four arms, a massive pair with impossibly flexible joints which end in massive clawed fists, and a smaller pair below with hands made of countless threads of metal that moves with precise dexterity. Only itself knows how long it has been perfecting its current form.]

Spoiler: Ulkas Status (click to show/hide)

Eximius Res, the Rusty Ring (Hawk132)
"Hrm... Let's put them down one by one."

Have Prias split into two of him with an Illusion and attempt to draw away one of the Ogres into trying to deal with it for as long as possible while we try to take down the other.

Let's kick it off with a Mana Slash.

Prias quickly shared the plan with the rest of the group. They accepted it without hesitating, assuming a battle formation to focus on a single Ogre.

Casting: Illusion [Innate Basic] -2MP

Distract Ogre:
Easy 6: [9]
Outcome: [3] -Critical Success-

You generated an illusion of Prias using your innate magic, leading one of the Ogres away from the other. Your distraction even caused the second Ogre to forget about you for a moment, which the entire group took as an opportunity to gang up on him.

[Prias: Mana Slash] -5MP
[Werbald: Monster-Killing Strike (Greatsword)]
[Malmey: Flash (Intermediate Arcane)] -4MP
[Caromash: Trueshot (Composite Bow)]
[Shavrine: Double Slash (Saber)]

Prias Attack Roll: 12=[9]+4
Werbald Attack Roll: 16=[14]+2
Malmey Attack Roll: 20=[16]+4
Caromash Attack Roll: 13=[5]+8
Shavrine Attack Roll: 12=[6]+6
Defender CON Roll: 0=[2]-2
Defender RES Roll: 1=[3]-2
[Successful Attacks]
GM: can I just call instant death now?
Damage 4d12+3d8+2d6+2d4+2d8: 26+20+7+5+5=63
The party insta-gibbed the Ogre

The was the first time Prias had fought along with others since he had become your wielder. The group moved in perfect unison, taking a position around the distracted Ogre without disturbing the space of their teammates. An arrow flew from Caromash's bow, landing in the side of the Ogre. As soon as it turned, a blinding and burning flash of light exploded in front of its eyes, and four simultaneous slashes cut it into pieces.

Now isolated, the remaining Ogre was dispatched as quickly as the first one was.

10 Lesser Essence

GM: that was an interesting test...

Current Location: Nepkeros Eastern Deadland -- Deadland

Nearby Creatures:
Monsters [Enemies]
- Ashen Ogre#1 [Dead] 5 Lesser Essence
- Ashen Ogre#2 [Dead] 5 Lesser Essence

Adventurer Party [Allies]
- Werbald the Squire
- Malmey the Mage
- Caromash the Scout
- Shavrine the Ranger

Spoiler: Eximius Res Status (click to show/hide)

Kori, the Elemental Spirit of Ice  - (TricMagic)

Minor Timeskip: [4]
The day passed, weighed by a lingering tension in the air. It is now night, and the dawn will eventually come.

Suro has gathered his allies at a great ice flower field. Did the other pretenders also do the same to prepare for tomorrow's battle? Or was it an eccentricity of this spirit, and of some remnants of its past life?

"Tomorrow's dawn will see the mountain change. All of you came with your own reasons. Yet does it matter? Thank you for fighting alongside my selfishness. I know we may part once it is all done, becoming strangers once more, enemies even. No matter, my gratitude will remain. May we succeed, and achieve our selfish wishes."

Current Location: Iron Ridge - The Frozen Summits -- Frost Tree Woods
Nearby Creatures:
-Allies of Suro
> Niveris, Spirit of Frozen River
> Hari the Snow Spirit
> Scar and Frostbite the Husks
> Eyeless and Half-Maw the Undead Wolves
> Crooked, Gut-Hole, Coldfur, and Rotscale the Undead Beasts.
> Hooves the Undead Centaur Beast
> Four Wings the Undead Winged Beast
> F'nelshee the Wraith
> Folphyr the Spirit of Northern Wind
> Hari the Spirit of Snow
> Karorai the Mountain Spirit.
> ... and a lot more.

Spoiler: Spirit of Ice Status (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 08, 2023, 02:49:36 pm by Nakéen »

Wolfkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1433 on: October 05, 2023, 05:52:07 pm »

Swamp Slugipede

Find a big pool of mud to blend in with, then wait until a creature smaller than half my size walks by. If one does, jump out and swallow it whole.

Quoting this just because it might be easy to miss
I decided to rephrase my skills so what they do is clearer
« Last Edit: October 06, 2023, 01:44:31 am by Wolfkey »

Hawk132

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1434 on: October 05, 2023, 06:51:06 pm »

"... Perhaps we put in a bit too much effort for this battle?" Eximius wondered, seemingly having gotten too used to battling with enemies he and Prias had no business fighting in the first place. "... Oh well."

Shrugging as well as a ring could, the Living Weapon eagerly vacuumed up the Essence left behind by the ogres. "Ready to continue?"

Onwards to Satroya! ... Well, maybe let's see if there's anything useful on the ogres first. Or if something useful could be made out of them.
Perplexicon: A New Arena - Abandoned, but feel free to give it a read.

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1435 on: October 05, 2023, 07:37:55 pm »

"They pose a threat? can scare them off, I bet..  What is their relation that causes this hesitation?"
The thoughtling chimed quietly in response to being told to halt, taking their instructions seriously.
Azarian also does his best to size up the exact number and rough strength while they were still hidden.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2023, 08:49:41 pm by Dustan Hache »
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1436 on: October 05, 2023, 09:44:37 pm »

Rejected because it can't be done, or rejected because I don't have the spellpower to cast it on one of us?  I know we're a little resistant normally.  I might get better results if I practice with a slime instead.

"Okay, Skra, here's the plan."

"There's a lot of bugs on the mainland, and they're in groups harassing things.  We're going to hunt them to keep them away from the island.  We're also going to need to change again, because there's likely some queen bug somewhere."

"So we're going to hide, nail a batch, move.  Find their base.  And then keep doing it.

Eventually they'll get serious and send out their big bugs.  Then we'll attack their base and kill their queen."

"Keep hiding.  I know how to get under the treeline, and we can keep in touch with [Squack], without giving away the game."

"When you get enough essence, use it.  I'll try to resist the change until we need it, if I get enough myself."

"Got it?"

Enact the above plan.

In general:

Gather essence when available.  Kra can stage up.  Squacks will try to resist it, if he manages to get enough.
Use the experience ambushing the bugs to take out individuals or small squads.
Use the experience getting below the treeline, and the friendly relationship with the local slimes, to hide from the bugs and move around out of sight.
Find their base.
Wait for a good chance, say their stronger bugs leaving to hunt for us, as an opportunity to go in and kill the queen.

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #1437 on: October 06, 2023, 12:25:25 am »

Rest… Sounded good. Browsing jumbled memories of the fight was still painful, so Ulkas relaxed back into Astrosa’s lap with a content smile, letting his mind recover while marveling at luxurious accommodation.

Rest well, enjoy and recover.
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

Legendary Marksdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1438 on: October 06, 2023, 08:04:20 am »

Never in the entirety of its solitary parasite's life had Skee heard something like this, from a host. Well, not that he'd really talked much with his hosts before. Much less been thanked by them for using their body ! Honestly, the whole situation took him aback a little bit. But he supposed he should give an answer, at the very least. Who knew what would come of this ?

"Uh... yes... Hello. This is an... unusual situation, to say the least, but I suppose I can answer your questions." Skee declared hesitantly, before continuing.

"My name is Skee, although amongst my species, our own names usually matter little because of our way of life. I come from the jungle, just like you. As for who I am... For the most part, my life was just about surviving, infecting weak and easy hosts who wouldn't put up much of a fight just to be able to eat and hide from predators, discarding their bodies to escape when I was in trouble. But recently, something changed ? I don't know if I got bored, or if the power struggles of the jungle awoke this side of me, but I somehow developped a desire for more. More than just a life spent hiding. The ambition to grow stronger and stronger. Thinking about it now, it seems like the same thing happened to others, too. Just a look at the new Makralian horde's leaders should tell you as much. If I had to guess, it has to do with this "essence" stuff that's been going around."

Skee paused, realizing he'd never really talked about this with anyone, or even really materalized these thoughts. I guess having a conversation partner for once was helping him realize some things.

"You also asked what I like ? Mmhhh... Parasites don't usually have much of a personality of their own, but I guess I've taken a liking to the excitement of the fights I've... or should I say, we've been into. And what about you, Shnapa ? I'm kind of surprised a host would thank me for using their body... What was your life like before ?" He asked, still surprised by Shnapa's earlier statement.

(Action for after the conversation : Once everyone is sufficiently rested, Skee went back to the Horde, following the calls. Wouldn't wanna fall behind too much.)

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1439 on: October 06, 2023, 02:00:21 pm »

"They pose a threat? can scare them off, I bet..  What is their relation that causes this hesitation?"
The thoughtling chimed quietly in response to being told to halt, taking their instructions seriously.
Azarian also does his best to size up the exact number and rough strength while they were still hidden.

There is some old structure ahead, and you sense at least two humans. Their raw magical power is decent, higher than that of your current companions, but not all that stronger than that of some monsters you may have encountered. To obtain more information you would have to approach sneakily and risk being discovered.
Pages: 1 ... 94 95 [96] 97 98 99