Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 81

Author Topic: Star Wars [Warning: Spoilers inside!]  (Read 97157 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars [Warning: Spoilers inside!]
« Reply #495 on: February 02, 2018, 03:44:57 am »

Here are some screen caps so you can get the idea then. The second shot is the "ship landing" scene from TLJ, in which the camera pulls back to reveal that it was in fact an iron:

https://scifi.stackexchange.com/questions/177764/was-this-scene-in-the-last-jedi-an-homage-to-hardware-wars
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 03:47:04 am by Reelya »

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: February 02, 2018, 12:46:25 pm »

Assuming various other parameters (like that you are dealing with clothing, that is of durable material that survives cleaning in hot water at above the limit of that which creases remain, erc) there are only so many obvious solutions.
Sure, you could use an automated cupboard or something that forces crumples out in other ways (but doesn't then put creases in), the application of a flat, hot piece of metal, ported for application of steam, given an acute point to get into corners, etc, isn't really too much of a stretch as an in dependent development in Steam-Age-And-Above cultures (we really only had the one of those arising, here on Earth, kick-starting the wholr planet) and the better-than-Steam-Age age (in this particular field) hasn't really happened yet, so it's hard to predict (without nventing it) the form of clothes-care-tech that the repulsor-and-laser-sword-Age civilisation would develop.  Maybe, indeed, repulsor-emmitor and micro-volume laser-plasma exhaust, but I'm not quite sure that would work brilliantly,

So I'm happy to find "looks like a Steam Iron, works like a Steam Iron, used by a Droid in the service rooms of a military space-ship", and that's not a big complaint. If it broke immersion needlessy..? Can't remember much, except that I spontaneously chuckled at just-before-the-reveal, without quite realising why, giving me an "I knew it!" groan, a moment later.

(That it was so quick that some people missed it, makes me think it was about on notch. Either that or it annoyed some people for being too obvious and later (if ever) annoyed people for being so obscure that it needed explaining to them that it had happened. The wrong type of "between the overlap", and I just happened to me tuned correctly take it in...)
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 12:49:24 pm by Starver »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: February 02, 2018, 12:51:04 pm »

Remember, I said the main reason it broke immersion was because they turned it into a gag about how camera shots in Star Wars work. It's a meta-gag, so it pulls you out of the story.

Having it be a mundane modern-Earth item was just an additional thing that pulls you out of the fiction. e.g. the scene is designed so that the shot looks like a "Star Warsy" ship, but then it's reframed to be a mundane item from your everyday experience. The joke here is that the viewers expectations were betrayed. Which can be funny, but definitely gets you thinking on a "meta" level, which pulls your attention out of the story and reminds you that you're just watching a movie, which is a fundamental flaw in film-making for anything that's meant to be dramatic, and not a straight-up comedy/satire/farce.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 12:54:30 pm by Reelya »

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: February 02, 2018, 01:24:54 pm »

To insert a relevant point of criticism, theres a bunch of stuff that is far to contemporary in it's visual design.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: February 02, 2018, 02:27:42 pm »

Remember, I said the main reason it broke immersion was because they turned it into a gag about how camera shots in Star Wars work. It's a meta-gag, so it pulls you out of the story.

Having it be a mundane modern-Earth item was just an additional thing that pulls you out of the fiction. e.g. the scene is designed so that the shot looks like a "Star Warsy" ship, but then it's reframed to be a mundane item from your everyday experience. The joke here is that the viewers expectations were betrayed. Which can be funny, but definitely gets you thinking on a "meta" level, which pulls your attention out of the story and reminds you that you're just watching a movie, which is a fundamental flaw in film-making for anything that's meant to be dramatic, and not a straight-up comedy/satire/farce.
I didn't get the reference and I thought it was funny.

I'll give you that it doesn't fit, but it wasn't an important moment and I personally forgot about it quickly.  This movie needs its laughs where it can get them because otherwise its darkness on darkness like Ep. 3 was (except not QUITE that bad, but with no humor at all I'd put it as the 2nd darkest SW movie).
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: February 05, 2018, 02:12:45 am »

The Solo trailer came out today, if you haven't seen it check it out. It looks pretty awesome and I am very excited to watch, BUT multiple reports of personnel and production setbacks leave me cautiously optimistic at best.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: February 05, 2018, 02:34:06 am »

Thanks for the tip.

Also discovered an Ant Man + Wasp trailer came out with the Super Bowl.  Best Super Bowl trailer, IMO.  That one should be a lot of fun.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: February 07, 2018, 06:01:02 am »

It's kinda hard for me to actually imagine a sex scene in Star Wars. Maybe also instead of seeing characters die bloody deaths from pointy swords, we'll actually see the lethal burns caused by lightsabers and blasters.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: February 07, 2018, 06:46:27 am »

So the two men who did absolutely nothing to make GoT a good show but took all the credit, and who has sequently made GoT a less good show the more they interfered with it themselves, is getting to work on Star Wars. I am not over noted.
Love, scriver~

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: February 07, 2018, 12:20:10 pm »

So the two men who did absolutely nothing to make GoT a good show but took all the credit, and who has sequently made GoT a less good show the more they interfered with it themselves, is getting to work on Star Wars. I am not over noted.

Better than Rain Johnson, IMO--wish they could just replace him. How the fuck did he get his own trilogy?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: February 07, 2018, 12:33:10 pm »

I notice that Johnson's film "Looper" has extremely polarized reviews as well: lots of 8-10's, lots of 1-3's, but very few "middle" scores.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1276104/reviews?ref_=tt_urv

Notice that the film's average score (7.4), the massive split in viewer reactions, and the tone of the reviews are all basically identical to TLJ. And this is for his acclaimed original work before he was ever connected to Star Wars. So, the flaws in TLJ seem like the exact same things people were complaining about with Looper, which can't be explained away as angry fanboys.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 12:39:48 pm by Reelya »

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: February 07, 2018, 01:00:14 pm »

IMO the biggest problem is that he was given no plans to close the plot threads in Force Awakens which is why they all ended anticlimactically. When JJ Abrams and company wrote TFA they basically pulled a Lost (of course, it was JJ Abrams who originally wrote Lost) and posed a bunch of questions with no answers, like "Who is Snoke". Rian Johnson, as far as I could tell, couldn't come up with a satisfactory end to a plot he didn't start and decided "Snoke is just some guy, Rei's parents are just some people, and the Knights of Ren aren't getting any screen time."

What I'm getting at is, I'm hopeful that the next movie will be a lot more cohesive because Rian Johnson is writing it from start to finish instead of  spending most of the movie trying to resolve a bunch of plot threads started by other people.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: February 07, 2018, 01:07:51 pm »

That explanation doesn't sit well with me. He was given a bunch of plot hooks that he could do anything he likes with, and he chose "none of it matters". He had carte blank to fill in those points however he wanted, he chose not to, it was not a matter of him being constrained. And it's not like lost. "Who are Rey's parents?" is a pretty general mystery, and by adding the unknown to a character's background, you make interesting possibilities to be explored.

he could easily have let the whole "who are Rey's parents" thing slide onto the next director, if he didn't want to touch that. But Johnson chose to address it, and shut down any possible backstory expansion for Rey, basically. So, he didn't want to do anything with it, but rather than ignore it, he's made sure nobody can do anything with it now. Johnson actively decided "Rey has no backstory" more or less: she just comes out of nothing, super-ninja-jedi-pilot-engineer-language girl who pulled herself up by her bootstraps, including making her own boots for the purpose. Basically, the mystery about her parents was the only really interesting thing about Rey, but Johnson didn't want it, so he broke it and threw it away, so nobody gets to play with it.

He's not making the next movie btw, he's making his own trilogy. Which i probably won't be going to the cinema to see. I'll see episode 9 in the cinema just because, but not any of the spin-offs. e.g. I'm not planning on seeing Solo in the cinema either and I didn't go see Rogue One either. If they make "Episode 10" and further, I'll sit those out. I did similar with the Prequels: only saw Phantom Menace in the cinema, decided "nah", then decided to skip the others.

Here's a good laugh for you

https://movieweb.com/star-wars-9-crawl-fake-fixes-last-jedi-problems/
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 01:38:02 pm by Reelya »

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: February 07, 2018, 05:54:39 pm »

Your loss for not seeing Rogue 1, it's easily the best film since Return in my opinion
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 81