Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 81

Author Topic: Star Wars [Warning: Spoilers inside!]  (Read 97149 times)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars [Warning: Spoilers inside!]
« Reply #795 on: December 27, 2018, 10:02:39 pm »

I'm still annoyed by things that are 'canon' in Star Wars that weren't on the silver screen.

Rebels?

Clone Wars?

I didn't / don't have the cable channels necessary for that nonsense.
Such things are not too much of a deterrent to a determined person.
Aye aye captain! Avast ye, laddies! Me heartie here knows what he be talking about!
Avast means stop though.

Shiver me timbers.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: December 27, 2018, 10:50:39 pm »

yo ho ho and a bucket of spagetti
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: December 28, 2018, 07:27:48 am »

yo ho ho and a bucket of spagetti
Ravioli, Ravioli, seize the propertoli
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: December 28, 2018, 11:59:26 pm »

I mean, folks, look, in the Plagueis book it outright says that Anakin was created by the chlorinated midis as a response to his fuckery with the Force.

Plagueis tries to create life as did the ancient Sith, the Forceinated Chloridian response to this failure is the creation of Anakin, Plagueis and Palpatine learn of his existence after he is born and Plagueis is like, oh shit, this is a result of what we did. It's in the EU book. My point isn't that it's stupid that Palpatine did it, that's fine. It's just 100% not original in any way, but Disney is happy to pretend they invented the concept.

It's like if they brought Wedge Antilles up and were like oh he flies a Y-Wing now and leads Brogue Squadron, this is original content now.

It's such a terrible, terrible, awful, horrible, stupid thing that I'd prefer literally anything else, including (maybe especially) darth vader just being a regular bad guy with no dumb prophecy at all.  Literally every single thing in the prequels is horrible and I would've preferred they stay miles away from it in every aspect.

If I'd done it I would've had Anakin being an idealistic big damn hero type being trained secretly by Obi-Wan, who has strong opinions about the way things should be (admirable ones, mind you, no crime or suffering, etc.).  And the jedi and republic, representing freedom and the risk that comes with it, don't have the will to do what he thinks is necessary to save the galaxy, which is how he turns to the dark side.  Just a jedi who was seduced by the dark side and had his ideals turned against him, instead of Space Jesus.
Shoes...

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: December 29, 2018, 08:29:46 am »

But it's Luke that is Space Jesus. He even died and came back from the Bacta Tank three days later.

Love, scriver~

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #800 on: December 29, 2018, 10:59:18 am »

TBH, The Phantom Menace is baller. [sans Jar-Jar ofc]

(fight me, you purist nerds)

Episodes 2 and 3 are all kinds of terrible obvo.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: December 29, 2018, 11:18:04 am »

But what about the droid attack on the wookies?
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: December 29, 2018, 11:18:57 am »

Are you saying that because you actually think it's good, or because there's a guy with a double-bladed lightsaber in it?
Shoes...

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: December 29, 2018, 11:20:47 am »

TBH, The Phantom Menace is baller. [sans Jar-Jar ofc]

(fight me, you purist nerds)

To be fair, 3 is fine outside Anakin's insane leaps of "logic".

And Ewan McGregor's Obi-Wan redeems the movies forevermore.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: December 29, 2018, 11:21:54 am »

Are you saying that because you actually think it's good, or because there's a guy with a double-bladed lightsaber in it?

I dunno about you, but I'm saying its good because it made for one of the best N64 games.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: December 29, 2018, 01:30:46 pm »

Of course, episode I has one of the coolest characters in movie history, Earth Maul, great music and a pretty good light sabre fight. I also think all the "durr trade agreements boring" criticism is flawed, I never think it got in the way of the plot - it was all the weird roundabouts the plot did that made it a bad movie.

It's still the movie I'd least like to see out of the three prequels.
Love, scriver~

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: December 29, 2018, 02:11:55 pm »

I still think that the opening space battle and following ship boarding part of episode 3 was pretty brilliant. I might be susceptible to getting distracted by shiny lights though.

Just two spaceswordmonks and their sassy beeping robot, murdering loads and loads of robots. Then they fight the big bad robot and crash land a battleship. It's great.
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: December 29, 2018, 02:21:32 pm »

The prequels have... many bad things... but also good things. And some of the acting is bad, but some of it is actually really good. (Eg: Ian McDiarmid nails it as Palpatine). And...
I think Lucas tried to do something different and interesting with the prequel trilogy but the actual implementation was unforgivably clumsy. There is a core of what could have been a good trilogy there. It's just that there are a number of corny elements, poor writing and lousy acting that drastically lower the average quality.

By contrast I think TFA is derivative (which I was willing to forgive) and TLJ is both clumsy AND derivative
I still think that the opening space battle and following ship boarding part of episode 3 was pretty brilliant. I might be susceptible to getting distracted by shiny lights though.

Just two spaceswordmonks and their sassy beeping robot, murdering loads and loads of robots. Then they fight the big bad robot and crash land a battleship. It's great.
There were some very good things in the trilogy. Its the dead wood that makes it poor.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2018, 02:23:17 pm by ChairmanPoo »
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: December 29, 2018, 05:51:16 pm »

Episode One is actually pretty good. I know a lot of people do NOT feel that way, but listen, it's got: two Jedi essentially working free of the council, pod racing, as close to "the old republic" in terms of feel and visual style as we get in any movie, a couple of really good battles, my fav lightsaber duel in the series (2003 Clone Wars not withstanding), and yes a pretty good bad guy with a double-bladed lightsaber (with Palpatine in the background, as he should be).

I know it's got shitty parts, Jar-jar, midichlorians, et al. but it's a much smaller story than Episodes 2 and 3 and it really balances the super-close-in personal moments and the wide-out sweeping action and political maneuvering. War is a theme that is part of ALL Star Wars stories, but in the rest of the prequel trilogy (not gonna talk about sequels here) they focus a bit too much on it.

EDIT: Also to comment on Eps 2 and 3 here as I have read in the past few comments, Kamino and the opening Coruscant section were pretty good in 2, and the opening sequence in 3 is also pretty lit. Ep 3 is actually like... 85% right, but the writing is just SO bad... I didn't think Ole Georgie could get WORSE at dialogue, but he really just drops the ball. The plot is... serviceable in the grand sense--the structure is solid--but Anakin's fall to the dark side is just poorly executed.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2018, 05:55:24 pm by Urist McScoopbeard »
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: December 29, 2018, 06:09:13 pm »

my fav lightsaber duel in the series (2003 Clone Wars not withstanding)

How DARE you imply that Clone Wars 2003 wasn't the objectively best star wars content in every single way! How dare you sir!
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 81