Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 28

Author Topic: Bedroom Designs...  (Read 132216 times)

rynait

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bedroom Designs...
« Reply #360 on: July 31, 2012, 11:46:05 am »

Friendstrange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: July 31, 2012, 12:00:56 pm »

3x3 rooms with a bed, table, cabinet and coffer.

The nobles have large mansions with their own food stockpiles, dinner rooms, ofices and bedrooms, each no smaller than 3x3 except for the stocpile rooms.

lazygun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: July 31, 2012, 03:16:02 pm »

My starting fort design is an 11x11 room dug into the soil filled with as many beds as necessary. Each bed gets turned into its own 1x1 bedroom. And the dwarves even get 'good thoughts' sometimes about sleeping in a good bedroom.

Later on, I get more elaborate, for instance the military get nice 2x2 rooms. with smoothed and eventually engraved walls. Dwarves with families get extra beds, just for the look of things.

BrisoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: August 27, 2012, 12:15:14 pm »

Nano Fortress bedroom design

- Space-saving vertical layout
- Roomy (2/3 8 tiles, 1/3 9 tiles)
- Good looking (confirmed by my girlfriend)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

My fortress is centered around the 3x3 central staircase. The additional 6 staircases only exist on bedroom levels, and start at the dining hall level.

Dining hall complete with dwarven bathtub, waterfall, and 5 activity rooms for such fun as: levers, zoo, arena, well, graveyard.

Hope you like it. =)

I finally decided to pay attention to my dining/bedroom design and went for your style. Can anyone comment on how efficient this is compared to the designs posted on the wiki? I've logged a bit of hours in DF but am still quite noobish. Not sure how people figure out efficiency.

Also wondering if you or anyone has any tips on where to fit offices/dining rooms/tombs for my nobles. I've always dug them out together in 3-4 adjacent rooms.

Thanks!

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: August 27, 2012, 12:56:11 pm »

I finally decided to pay attention to my dining/bedroom design and went for your style. Can anyone comment on how efficient this is compared to the designs posted on the wiki? I've logged a bit of hours in DF but am still quite noobish. Not sure how people figure out efficiency.

Also wondering if you or anyone has any tips on where to fit offices/dining rooms/tombs for my nobles. I've always dug them out together in 3-4 adjacent rooms.

Thanks!

I count efficiency by how few steps it takes for them to get to their bed, though IMO it's not something important to optimize with how infrequent they goes to sleep relative to other activities. It's still something interesting to try!

I usually fit dining room in same room as their office, and don't bothers with tomb unless they get too moody for my taste, then I put it in their bedroom. I like to keep noble's office and bedroom right next to each other, or even bedroom accessible through their office.

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: August 27, 2012, 02:03:32 pm »

I don't have floor entirely devoted for bedrooms, instead I will build them when I need them.
http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-11100-copperchew

Spitfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: August 27, 2012, 03:02:56 pm »

Nano Fortress bedroom design

- Space-saving vertical layout
- Roomy (2/3 8 tiles, 1/3 9 tiles)
- Good looking (confirmed by my girlfriend)

My fortress is centered around the 3x3 central staircase. The additional 6 staircases only exist on bedroom levels, and start at the dining hall level.

Dining hall complete with dwarven bathtub, waterfall, and 5 activity rooms for such fun as: levers, zoo, arena, well, graveyard.

Hope you like it. =)

Thanks!

Thanks for digging out my old design! If you're interested, I uploaded the map: http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-11366-findorb
A 6 bedroom circle can be easily modified to two 3-room noble quarters, as seen on floor 144.
And the tombs are small rooms upstairs from the graveyards, on floor 148.

Still my favourite fortress. ^^
Quote from: Rex_Nex
Wanting boobs is primal, not something sparked by the degradation of humanity.

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: August 27, 2012, 08:36:16 pm »

Here's what I've got at the moment: one of the most blatantly missed opportunities I've ever blatantly missed.

If only I had dug out just five more tiles and put in one extra floodgate and lever...

Notice, though, the complete lack of doors. The beds, in that position, cause the rooms to be perfectly sized without having to put doors in to limit the size. The extra space at the end of the room is for statues, in case of happiness emergency.

Thinking about it, I could also take out the walls between opposing rooms, since they're not actually part of the room, to add one more bit of vampire visibility. And I probably should have rotated the blocks so that there's always 12 rooms parallel and side by side for the same reason; there's fortification between all the beds. Oh well.

blue sam3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: August 28, 2012, 07:39:01 am »

Here's what I've got at the moment: one of the most blatantly missed opportunities I've ever blatantly missed.

(snip)

If only I had dug out just five more tiles and put in one extra floodgate and lever...

Notice, though, the complete lack of doors. The beds, in that position, cause the rooms to be perfectly sized without having to put doors in to limit the size. The extra space at the end of the room is for statues, in case of happiness emergency.

Thinking about it, I could also take out the walls between opposing rooms, since they're not actually part of the room, to add one more bit of vampire visibility. And I probably should have rotated the blocks so that there's always 12 rooms parallel and side by side for the same reason; there's fortification between all the beds. Oh well.

Your issue is that, unfortunately, the lack of a door directly reduce the value of a room.

hjd_uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: August 28, 2012, 08:27:48 am »

Depends on how valuable the statue,bed,furniture,floor,walls,engravings etc are.

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: August 28, 2012, 09:09:59 am »

Depends on how valuable the statue,bed,furniture,floor,walls,engravings etc are.
Precisely. The value of rooms is tightly controlled in my fortress, after one too many incidents with nobles getting upset because I accidentally left gems embedded in peasant walls.

Besides, doors do not add to the value of rooms unless they are set internal, at which point they don't block the room's expansion.

MeMyselfAndI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: June 07, 2014, 12:35:34 pm »

Why do people bother with complex bedroom designs?

I just do 3x3 rooms with 2 thick walls, tiled. (Two thick so it can be engraved if I so wish. Although: do engravings only count from one side? I've heard conflicting reports.) An up/down staircase in the corner of each one, plus a bed, a chest, and a cabinet. Sometimes a table and chair. I'll replace the corner bedrooms with 3x3 staircases, set to high traffic, and dig out the top and bottom level completely.

I suppose it has to do with most people's disinclination towards utilizing vertical space.

Though this current fort I'm slowly working towards individual 6x3x3 pods for one dwarf each. Bedroom on the top level, dining room on the bottom level, middle level has a workshop. Minecarts to haul things around. It's slow and inefficient, but lends itself to not having to worry about tantrum spirals. Also could fit in with vampires later.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: June 07, 2014, 02:33:44 pm »

Nice necro.  Useful thread, so I'm glad it's back up.

Why do people bother with complex bedroom designs?

What, seriously?  Okay, I take it back.  Don't necro threads just to be incredulous about their subject matter.  FFS. 

Re: engravings, yes, there has been science done.  it only adds value to the side that it has been engraved from.  This science was done back when there was an economy, so you could actually check the exact value of a room.  I'm not sure how you could replicate the experiment with any level of accuracy now, but I don't think this has been changed.

I seem to remember Toady saying that he intended to eventually fix this by making things MORE directional, so that you could eventually engrave multiple sides of a wall -- and that he did not plan on "fixing" it such that one engraving would cover all sides.  To the best of my knowledge, nothing has been done in this regard.

Besides, doors do not add to the value of rooms unless they are set internal, at which point they don't block the room's expansion.

But would this not create the "has not slept in a proper room" thought, or whatever it is called?  I thought rooms needed to be properly enclosed to prevent negative thoughts or to avoid value penalties.

MeMyselfAndI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: June 07, 2014, 04:52:33 pm »

Nice necro.  Useful thread, so I'm glad it's back up.

What, seriously?  Okay, I take it back.  Don't necro threads just to be incredulous about their subject matter.  FFS. 

My apologies. That was not meant to be incredulous, it was meant to be an honest question - I, personally, have not seen anybody give an answer as to why these more complex bedroom designs are better than the simple one I talked about earlier, from what I have read both here and elsewhere, and was wondering what the reason for people choosing these more complex bedroom designs. I assume there is one, and just no-one has mentioned it, and was wondering what it was.

(I am not exactly the best at conveying tone in person, much less via text-only media. My apologies.)

Re: engravings, yes, there has been science done.  it only adds value to the side that it has been engraved from.  This science was done back when there was an economy, so you could actually check the exact value of a room.  I'm not sure how you could replicate the experiment with any level of accuracy now, but I don't think this has been changed.

I seem to remember Toady saying that he intended to eventually fix this by making things MORE directional, so that you could eventually engrave multiple sides of a wall -- and that he did not plan on "fixing" it such that one engraving would cover all sides.  To the best of my knowledge, nothing has been done in this regard.
Good to know, thanks! Hmm... I'll have to ask over at the DFHack thread if there is a way to get the actual exact value of a room. The functionality to do so may still be in DF.

But would this not create the "has not slept in a proper room" thought, or whatever it is called?  I thought rooms needed to be properly enclosed to prevent negative thoughts or to avoid value penalties.
I know gaps in the room perimeter do lower the room's value, but I was under the impression that "slept without a proper room recently" was only if a dwarf couldn't find a bed designated as a bedroom not assigned to anyone else.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: June 08, 2014, 07:08:19 am »

.... I've been here since 2010 and thoroughly read through the wiki and I had no idea that engravings were one sided, which makes sense but I guess you need to use careful planning or traffic designations in order to ensure the engravings are done in the right direction,.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 28