Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12

Author Topic: Eco: Save the planet from YOURSELF! (And an asteroid)  (Read 19380 times)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
Re: Eco: Save the planet from YOURSELF! (And an asteroid)
« Reply #135 on: January 29, 2019, 04:51:43 pm »

Liquid Nitrogen is produced from nothing but steel (presumably because it's condensed from air into the can). It is technically a food, and according to the wiki provides 0 of every nutrient... but 10 calories.

Since your skill gain is based on the balance of what you've already eaten, does that mean that you can just sit there and drink a lot of liquid nitrogen and stay at level health? There's a couple other things, but this seems to be the only one that uses purely inorganic resources.

I made a spreadsheet. Of the normal, working foods, Stuffed Turkey has the most even nutrient distribution per calorie, so you can fill up quick without trashing your balance. Charred Tomato is the low-rent equivalent.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 09:31:45 pm by PTTG?? »
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 29, 2019, 08:32:52 pm »

I was actually just thinking about this the other day. Might be interesting to give it another shot when 0.8 comes out, I haven't played in a while now.

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 29, 2019, 10:08:49 pm »

I noticed when I had logged out for a while the nutrient balance will disappear on its own, so you will still have to eat those foods and gain balance. The amount of nitrogen you would have to "eat" would make it a bit silly.
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: February 03, 2019, 03:08:01 am »

so, caved and bought.

it's interesting. there's lot of padding and busywork, especially at the beginning (i.e. carts using planks) but it seems to clear up nicely later on.

there's a fair share of bugs, like the wheelbarrows seem to go straight only when looking 90deg to the left.

that said the game only comes together only when the asteroid puts some real pressure. I've been on a 120 day server and everyone is basically just speculating on late recipes while building for themselves.

it is also not something one can do casually, you can win factorio playing casually with friends in 3 to 4 sessions, this would take some real commitment and has some real world day time limits, which isn't particularly kind to uncommitted people.

There's stuff that's still unclear to me however, for example it seems everyone needs their own building to benefit from room improvement, you can't have some sort of communal home and benefit from collective work
« Last Edit: February 03, 2019, 04:41:25 am by LoSboccacc »

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: February 03, 2019, 04:08:53 pm »

Yeah you need your own rooms to gain the points from that. if you have an active farmer & cook you can get really good points from food too.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: February 04, 2019, 01:07:14 am »

internet says that the bleeding_edge branch now contains the 8.0 for testing.

anyhow. I really like that stuff requires m^2 of housing, it makes for pretty convincing cities on populated servers. the limitation on vehicles of all kind push for roads to houses and working areas and in the end it makes the world feel really alive and interconnected. too bad housing material grows exponentially more expensive. at which point industrialization kicks in and solves the "cut these 50 tree for two blocks of lumber"?

edit: server I was playing disappeared. ugh. the level of commitment to get anywhere makes acutely painful server volatility.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 03:29:41 am by LoSboccacc »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #141 on: February 04, 2019, 06:36:35 am »

FWIW I plan to start an Eco server up on the new version using the discord I created previously for coordination, but I won't be doing that until I finish my final class around the end of this month. If you're okay with waiting until then you're welcome to join

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: February 04, 2019, 07:04:28 am »

FWIW I plan to start an Eco server up on the new version using the discord I created previously for coordination, but I won't be doing that until I finish my final class around the end of this month. If you're okay with waiting until then you're welcome to join

sounds great, that way maybe we'll also get the first one or two inevitable fixes. we're 3 tho if you don't mind the crowd.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #143 on: February 04, 2019, 07:05:42 am »

Fine with me, the game works better with a healthy population in my experience

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: February 04, 2019, 04:48:33 pm »

I would gladly join as well whenever that gets started up, as long as I have time for it.

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
  • [THOUGHTS:CHAOTIC] [ACTUALLY A SWAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: February 04, 2019, 05:03:04 pm »

I might be up for it as well, probably would be supplying raw material or maybe lumber once tech happens. Always some use for trees.
////;::;\\\\ Scuttle Scuttle...

Milk for the Khorneflakes!

Luminous Bolt of Bacon
"Excuse me sir, You are on Fire."

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: February 04, 2019, 07:04:48 pm »

0.8 seems that will be really cool. I'm curious about the new Skill system coming up, and how that could affect the game.

I had went hard into Eco, but then stopped doing my modpack due to life stuff, and also because each patch slowly broke mods and a lot of modders went into long breaks or moved on. Would get to a point where I'd end up having to take over other people's mods, which I don't think is nice to do.
All the active players from my server moving on also kinda made me see no point into keeping it going.

I still have a public server running the 0.7.8.9. Wiped less than a week ago, and to my surprise there are a few (3-7, not sure) people playing actively or casually. I'm not playing and haven't played in months though.
Feel free to hop on there to check things out, although having a more DF-community server like forsaken runs is probably cooler.
I usually only update to a newer version a week or so after it is released, since the leap to a new major version can get messy. And a side comment on the state of servers, ~6 months ago it was tough for me to get and keep my server in the Top 25 on the EcoServers list. Now it's ranked 5th with me doing pretty much nothing about it.

And I may or may not be low-key helping one of the best Eco modders in developing a game inspired in Rimworld / DF / Rise to Ruins / Prison Architect..
« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 07:06:30 pm by Gabeux »
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #147 on: February 04, 2019, 09:18:27 pm »

I wouldn't mind doing some farming and mining and stuff. Most especially cooking, actually.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: February 06, 2019, 06:21:19 pm »

It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: February 07, 2019, 04:21:23 am »

dammit they significantly lengthened the  tier 0 grind, with the small cart behind a star, foliage and branches slowing you down significantly during logging and the new stone mechanics where the stone pick only breaks specific types of stones.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12