Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 181

Author Topic: Random thoughts - On the Origins of "I Could Eat A Horse"  (Read 220427 times)

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Random thoughts - Small Scale Kewminism
« Reply #105 on: May 13, 2018, 06:02:15 pm »

I thought the Golden Arches were referring to McDonald's

Lunardog15

• Bay Watcher
  • I bring hell (aka eternal PUNishment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 13, 2018, 06:18:45 pm »

oh ok then yes that is a thing
everything is fine
 everything is on fire
I see no difference between these two phrases.
only at modded hell does this make sense

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 14, 2018, 12:28:41 am »

there is such thing as night

[Citation Needed]
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 14, 2018, 12:29:14 am »

how can night be real if it sun isn't real
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 14, 2018, 11:34:17 am »

how can night be real if it sun isn't real
The Sun is fake news.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 14, 2018, 12:45:22 pm »

The Earth is flat, suspended on granite pillars, surrounded by an enormous dome known as the Firmament.

God, I cannot seriously believe people think that.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 15, 2018, 08:45:28 am »

Before I have to call Toady, let's shift the subject. To cats, for example
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 15, 2018, 09:18:53 am »

Before I have to call Toady, let's shift the subject. To cats, for example

I am confused now.

Anyways, cats only have four breeds. Egyptian Mau, Siamese, Mancoon, and cat.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Lunardog15

• Bay Watcher
  • I bring hell (aka eternal PUNishment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 18, 2018, 04:35:40 pm »

it is PURRfect
everything is fine
 everything is on fire
I see no difference between these two phrases.
only at modded hell does this make sense

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 22, 2018, 11:38:37 pm »

I would argue that sentience is an over-rated, illusionary concept.  That humans are nothing more than complex state machines, where the initial conditions are impossible to know or reproduce, due to incomplete knowledge of those conditions, and little else.

There might be some genuine hardware-based randomness, due to the use of wiggly bits of protein, ion diffusion rates, and other bits and bobs that are not always going to be consistent across operational thresholds (Compare, a computer suffering thermal noise, or having brownouts, and so inconsistent calculation results for identical datasets) but that is not sentience.  No more than a quantum particle is sentient, at least.

This is why I feel computer based simulation of human "consciousness" is theoretically possible. It is not "sentient" in the commonly ascribed way, but then again, neither is the human.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 23, 2018, 12:16:30 am »

I would argue that sentience is an over-rated, illusionary concept.  That humans are nothing more than complex state machines, where the initial conditions are impossible to know or reproduce, due to incomplete knowledge of those conditions, and little else.

There might be some genuine hardware-based randomness, due to the use of wiggly bits of protein, ion diffusion rates, and other bits and bobs that are not always going to be consistent across operational thresholds (Compare, a computer suffering thermal noise, or having brownouts, and so inconsistent calculation results for identical datasets) but that is not sentience.  No more than a quantum particle is sentient, at least.

This is why I feel computer based simulation of human "consciousness" is theoretically possible. It is not "sentient" in the commonly ascribed way, but then again, neither is the human.
This.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 23, 2018, 12:54:21 am »

We're considering only things that can be scientifically proven. The concept of a soul is irrelevant in scientific discussions. :) With that out of the way, we have probabilistic thoughts without free will.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 23, 2018, 06:08:56 am »

So, a thought experiment. No particular desired outcome here, but it does make for an interesting thing to think about. At least, interesting in the sense that it's midnight and it probably is a lot less interesting than I think it is.

Suppose that, for the sake of this thought experiment, that a computable model of artificial intelligence is discovered. I say computable for the sake of satisfaction of the Church-Turing thesis; noncomputability would invalidate this thought experiment. Now, suppose that I, an individual, have a book detailing how this artificial intelligence model works (i.e. I have the "source code", or some total enumeration of the algorithm in a formal language). I wish to work out the algorithm with paper in pencil, supposing that I have the infinite capacity to do so (no constraints on the materials or time required). By the virtue of it being a computable model, it is possible (by the Church-Turing thesis) that I can, in fact, work out the very process with nothing more than pencil and paper. If I perform this process long enough, then I will have what could effectively be called "sentient"- after all, that is the goal of artificial intelligence research. However, what exactly is sentient in this situation? The paper cannot be sentient- it's paper, it has no agency here and is merely a device for which information is being stored. While I am sentient, my sentience is not particularly pertinent to the process of following a set of rules. Then there's the idea that it is the system- that is, the system of both paper and the justification for alterations to the paper via pencil- that exhibits sentience, but there's an interesting notion here: should I cease performing operations, the process does not go forward. It does not "die," but becomes frozen in time at that particular state... but does the state here necessarily matter? Given any randomly generated pattern, there is a chance that with minimal transformation that this pattern happens to be exactly what is expressed on the paper. Are those also sentient beings trapped in time? If I apply the rules of this artificial intelligence to arbitrary starting points as "memory", then it seems that there is definitely something important regarding their coupling. That is, that the output of a sentient model is no more sentient than if produced by random chance; the rules, certainly, have an important influence on the sentience of the system. The rules themselves, though, are not sentient.

So, given our setup, the paper is not sentient. The rules are not sentient. The means of action of performing the rules with reference to what's written on the paper is not sentient (unrelated sentience notwithstanding). I suppose a better way to frame the actual thing to think about here is that, given above, what here is doing the thinking? What has a sense of self here? The paper and pencil here is interchangeable with the rearrangement of rocks in a line- it is nothing more than a means of storing information. Then is it whatever mechanism that is having to act upon the rules given the information sentient? If I were to replace myself here with a system of flywheels and pullies, would this mechanical processor be sentient?

Ultimately, this boils down to whether sentience is a property of dynamic systems. Is it the dynamic system that exhibits sentience, or is it the idea of the dynamic system, in a metaphysical sense? Or can sentience not be expressed in a computable system?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 23, 2018, 11:07:53 am »

The thought experiment you described is known as the Chinese Room problem. It's a well known philosophical problem with AI research. It's also irrelevant to the end result of a sentient AI. Perception is reality. If it seems real, acts real, and thinks it is real, you might as well unknot your brain and accept it. It is a fun thought experiment though.
He's fucking with us.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 23, 2018, 04:28:33 pm »

I mean, if you write the entire genetic code of a human onto paper, it's the same thing isn't it?
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 181