Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 181

Author Topic: Random thoughts - On the Origins of "I Could Eat A Horse"  (Read 220413 times)

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
Re: Random thoughts - Small Scale Kewminism
« Reply #150 on: August 15, 2018, 12:44:05 pm »

Call it Waluigi 2: Meta AF
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: August 15, 2018, 12:52:27 pm »

They should then make a sequel in which he's now trapped in that game and wants out, a la the Matrix.

"Free your mind."
"WAA!!"

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: August 22, 2018, 10:14:14 pm »

Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: August 24, 2018, 04:31:09 pm »

The other day I was driving some brit folk around and one of the ladies commented how she thought it was real neat that our gas stations were such social places, with pretty much every one of them having a cafe alongside the station shop. Didn't pay much attention to it then, but then I considered it and started wondering, is that something that's rare in the rest of the world? Where a place that people stop to pour gas or buy snacks for the road can sit down and have a cup of whatever before continuing their trip. Or is almost ritual coffee drinking not that big of a deal in the rest of the world and just something we got from the ottomans?
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: August 24, 2018, 11:55:35 pm »

Most gas stations in Russia which are on long roads have cafes, mostly for long-distance truckers.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 12:27:01 am by KittyTac »
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: August 25, 2018, 12:20:44 am »

The same is true of the emptier or more out of the way parts of the USA.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: August 25, 2018, 09:23:50 am »

Constipation is the Dark Souls of pooping, change my mind.
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: August 25, 2018, 11:43:37 am »

-snip-
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 02:22:18 pm by dragdeler »
let

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: August 25, 2018, 02:33:48 pm »

The other day I was driving some brit folk around and one of the ladies commented how she thought it was real neat that our gas stations were such social places, with pretty much every one of them having a cafe alongside the station shop. Didn't pay much attention to it then, but then I considered it and started wondering, is that something that's rare in the rest of the world? Where a place that people stop to pour gas or buy snacks for the road can sit down and have a cup of whatever before continuing their trip. Or is almost ritual coffee drinking not that big of a deal in the rest of the world and just something we got from the ottomans?

In Australia we have plenty of cars, but a stinky petrol station reeking of gasoline fumes is the last place anyone would want to socialize. There might be a convenience store there, but it's the sort of place where you get in and get out ASAP.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: August 25, 2018, 02:40:21 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 02:26:03 pm by dragdeler »
let

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: September 05, 2018, 04:32:11 am »

Glory to Bay12!
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: September 22, 2018, 06:05:02 pm »

I was thinking about the phrase "I could eat a horse" today for whatever reason, and it occurred to me that its implied meaning and possible origin might be a bit darker than the sense it's normally used in. The thing to ask is, why a horse? Why not some other large animal that people normally eat, that it would be an exaggeration to say you were hungry enough to eat in one sitting, like a cow, pig, goat, etc? Maybe because horse is usually worse meat, which adds to the exaggeration of hunger, but I don't think that's it.

It seems to me that the hunger that the phrase is describing isn't the modern sort where most people can't go 4 hours without getting hungry, or even really a direct description of hunger at all, but rather is referring to the desperation that comes with deciding to kill and eat your farm work animal (and using that link to ordinary hunger as a little joke). Nearly all of us are the decedents of peasants who at some point in our ancestry would have been starving to death and forced to eat draught animals, most of us within the last 200 years. A phrase like "I could eat a horse" (if wasn't already an omnipresent cliche) just wouldn't be interesting enough to gain currency if it wasn't making a clever little connection to some other concept than the feeling of hunger. It's a bit interesting to think about how these things get lost over time, even if it makes no difference now.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: September 23, 2018, 04:40:18 am »

I've actually heard horse meat is pretty good, though on the excessively lean side like venison.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: September 23, 2018, 04:47:17 am »

I've actually heard horse meat is pretty good, though on the excessively lean side like venison.
I've had Italian salami made from horse meat. It was delicious.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 181