Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 163 164 [165] 166 167 ... 180

Author Topic: Random thoughts - On the Origins of "I Could Eat A Horse"  (Read 218693 times)

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
Re: Random thoughts - On the Origins of "I Could Eat A Horse"
« Reply #2460 on: October 16, 2023, 06:18:29 pm »

Trying to get a romance subplot started in writing is hard. Especially without making it sound like the characters are sock puppets.

I mean in my case, one of them is an alien with a culture with different attitudes towards love so that can help cover up the awkwardness but it's still clunky.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2461 on: October 16, 2023, 06:23:31 pm »

I think the best advice I've ever seen on that front, is "When in doubt, don't. You don't actually need a romance subplot."

There's also just keeping it offscreen as much as possible. If you can't write it, don't write it, just make some kind of oblique mention or have characters stand closer to each other than they used to or something. Folks in a relationship can be pretty private, so lean on that and don't force yourself to write something awkward :P
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #2462 on: October 16, 2023, 06:43:38 pm »

I think the best advice I've ever seen on that front, is "When in doubt, don't. You don't actually need a romance subplot."

There's also just keeping it offscreen as much as possible. If you can't write it, don't write it, just make some kind of oblique mention or have characters stand closer to each other than they used to or something. Folks in a relationship can be pretty private, so lean on that and don't force yourself to write something awkward :P
Well part of why I'm doing it is to learn because I never really wrote one before, and I learn by practice.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #2463 on: October 16, 2023, 06:57:12 pm »

Trying to get a romance subplot started in writing is hard. Especially without making it sound like the characters are sock puppets.

I am reminded of the song 'Subplots' by Jack Johnson

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2464 on: October 20, 2023, 10:20:17 am »

Boomer jokes about marriage are not an age thing, nor are they a relict of the past. The folks who were in their prime somewhere in the 80-90's have simply been stricken by the generation of most terminally menopausal, overboardingly entitled, women to ever flaunt their way past an education.

There will be a historical spike in unsufferability, only their direct daughters will ever be able to compete somewhere near that level: those who currently are 50-60 and those who are currently 30-40 are several levels more slappable than anybody older, younger or in between. It's basically lead + tv brain and their torchcarriers.

Next time I spot that signature facial expression I'm going to interrupt them mid sentence to tell them to ask somebody whom they would be capable of believing and stop wasting both our time.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2023, 12:18:14 pm by dragdeler »
let

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #2465 on: October 21, 2023, 05:14:17 pm »

I feel like dragdeler's content is disproportionately ageist...

Or maybe I'm mixing forum users up again.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Leftover Potential
    • View Profile
« Reply #2466 on: October 21, 2023, 09:10:08 pm »

Don't forget the sexism. And general levels of hate and bitterness.
Always remember!
Pumsy loves you!

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2467 on: October 21, 2023, 10:10:53 pm »

oh are we finally acknowledging this particular elephant

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Leftover Potential
    • View Profile
« Reply #2468 on: October 21, 2023, 10:36:58 pm »

I'd considered it before but it sounded like work.
Always remember!
Pumsy loves you!

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2469 on: October 22, 2023, 01:57:59 am »

I can't speak to any ageism or sexism because most of the time I have no idea. Just no clue.

It feels like that's largely intentional as dragdeler just wants to vent, which is where all the concentrated bitterness comes from. I wouldn't take it too seriously.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2023, 02:02:35 am by bloop_bleep »
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2470 on: October 22, 2023, 02:27:20 am »

I don't see anything wrong with what dragdeler says.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2471 on: October 22, 2023, 04:45:19 pm »

It can be all kinds of generrally unpleasant to unpack and wrong, but it sits right there on the edge... As if I am merely a provocateur. I... just go on without me leave me here macho movie trope.

I'm a lost case, and a bad rolemodel, and a nutjob, and just because I have a tendency to land on my feet after these rhetorical tumbles doesn't mean I am particularly proud of this online presence I've created myself here.

What if we're all right with what has been stated and that is just generally annoying. God knows with all my human interractions IRL I tried to reserve my judgements until after they left, but yeah I think it actually will be more dignified for all parties involved if I refuse service on the basis of such superficialities as certain signature facial expressions that I associate to certain demographics being difficult (there is comparable telltale signs for other demographics too with whom I have had less problems statistically)
« Last Edit: October 24, 2023, 12:39:59 pm by dragdeler »
let

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2472 on: October 25, 2023, 05:54:10 am »

Y'know, I don't know if it's a common bit of sound design I've just not been noticing (mostly because I tend to play with things muted, these days), but watching a speedrun of Spike McFang, one thing that's really stood out that I've definitely never paid attention to is that they, like... give the characters voices, in a game without voiced lines.

There's a sound effect for when text scrolls, basically, and the little type-y ding-y thing is different for different characters. It really stood out with a cat-themed boss character, that had a very distinct meow-y twang to its text-beeping, but every character since I noticed the effect has had a different one.

And, like. That's really slick sound design when you're working with a limited sound palette, in particular? That is a remarkable bit of detail, and I can't recall ever encountering it before, even back when I regularly played stuff like McFang (or JRPGs, or whatever involves text boxes like that). It's neat!
Ask not!
Ask!

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2473 on: October 25, 2023, 06:26:16 am »

Huh!  I'm so used to that being a thing in Celeste that I sorta back-remembered it as a JRPG staple.  Almost positive it was in Undertale too.  But maybe it was really rare in classic console games?  I'm not sure!
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2474 on: October 25, 2023, 06:37:47 am »

Oh... now that you mention it, I do remember Celeste having that? I think? I've watched folks play a few times (actually own the game through some bundle or another, but, uh, precision platformers and me do not get along even a little, nowadays in particular), but... I just don't pay much attention to sound design these days, even when I don't just have the whatever muted.

Back when I spent time playing literally every JRPG* on the SNES, though (back then, I didn't mute as consistently, heh), I don't remember it being much of a thing. It wouldn't be surprising if it was actually pretty common, like... after... the SNES era, just due to expanded capabilities, though? Or if it had been common and I just wasn't paying attention enough to notice, heh.

E: Yes, even the ones not in english. Very, very few to completion, but an hour or two to check things out? The entire SNES JRPG library, years ago. There was a few years in the late 90s, early 00s I had sunk an hour or two into every roguelike in existence at the time, too, heh, but there's a lot more of the things nowadays, and far more of them are paywalled.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2023, 06:41:35 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!
Pages: 1 ... 163 164 [165] 166 167 ... 180