Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 168 169 [170] 171 172 ... 180

Author Topic: Random thoughts - On the Origins of "I Could Eat A Horse"  (Read 218684 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Random thoughts - On the Origins of "I Could Eat A Horse"
« Reply #2535 on: December 11, 2023, 09:12:48 am »

U fkin wot m8
ehhh rite not bein funneh but swear on me nan u bin rilin me well up so pipe down or I'm puttin me reeboks on we're gettin the lads and we'll be cheeki breeki like down your postcode

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2536 on: December 11, 2023, 09:17:46 am »

cheeki breeki? is that a threat to get your windows smashed?

I was thinking today, would zoomers be sad if you proved to them that the "ded" skull emoji was invented by some french wine mom on facebook, who just tried to convey MDR.
let

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2537 on: December 11, 2023, 09:28:16 am »

Mdr?
Love, scriver~

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2538 on: December 11, 2023, 09:29:34 am »

cheeki breeki? is that a threat to get your windows smashed?
Verily forsooth I vouchsafe on my honour as a gentleman and the confidence of my dearest ancestors, thou hast given me a choleric temper - an imperative response is demanded. Put down your sword lest I be given casus belli to muster the men, stiffen the sinews, and like the dreaded tiger roar and let loose the cats of war. Heed this ultimatum, else my rallied-bannermen shall be funky freaky, and a little bit sneaky fresh upon your house!!!

I was thinking today, would zoomers be sad if you proved to them that the "ded" skull emoji was invented by some french wine mom on facebook, who just tried to convey MDR.
I hate how a lot of apps today auto-convert :0 or L: or >:) into emojis

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #2539 on: December 11, 2023, 09:32:35 am »

U fkin wot m8
ehhh rite not bein funneh but swear on me nan u bin rilin me well up so pipe down or I'm puttin me reeboks on we're gettin the lads and we'll be cheeki breeki like down your postcode
.... Okay I can't match this London-speak.
Time to deploy.... Belfast-speak.

Aye pipe down mate or we'll do yer knees in. Yer in Belly-fast now, and here's the craic - ye came up the Lagan in a bubble, and we're gonna ship ye back to yer avon-selling da in a shoebox.

Okay so I'm not as good at Belfast slang as I thought  :'(
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #2540 on: December 11, 2023, 09:43:07 am »

Verily forsooth I vouchsafe on my honour as a gentleman and the confidence of my dearest ancestors, thou hast given me a choleric temper - an imperative response is demanded. Put down your sword lest I be given casus belli to muster the men, stiffen the sinews, and like the dreaded tiger roar and let loose the cats of war. Heed this ultimatum, else my rallied-bannermen shall be funky freaky, and a little bit sneaky fresh upon your house!!!
Oh, now this on the other hand I am better with.

Forsake thine history-laden tomes of Shakespeare, hoary knave. Furthermore, wight, spit not your twinned-viper venom at the throne, lest my good mood be not the only imbalanced humour in the chamber.

Let loose the hue and cry, jaded jester, and succumb to your vaporous personality. For mine own hosts rival those of Oberon, and count among their number good men and true, who can prove that their fathers did beget them in England, where their limbs were forged.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2541 on: December 11, 2023, 09:45:23 am »

Uhm I think you're confounding time dilation and relative speed... For most instances they're not running so fast as to wrap time around them (except for the obligatory change something in the past episodes)... So no it's just a way of showing one is at 6000fps whereas the others are at 60fps; highspeed cameras work much alike.

No that's the point! If you are moving fast, it doesn't make things look slower. You have to actually increase your "frame rate" like that camera to make things look slow.  Consider if you are just riding in a normal human jet - the time between "frames" gets shorter and shorter e.g., things look faster the faster you are going, not slower!

So if the Flash's ability isn't just to be able to run fast, but also to be able to boost his mental frame rate, then he'd be able to see things "in slow motion" without running fast. In fact, the faster he runs, the more he'd have to "framerate boost" to see things in slow motion.

Basically it's the idea that the "see things in slow motion" power is not a direct effect of moving fast - it has to be a separate power.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2542 on: December 11, 2023, 09:52:39 am »

Like a siren car approaching you and passing by

You approaching at high speed a siren car that's standing still would have the same effect

So your vision would compress the same way the siren sound waves compress

Is that what you mean? Because if so I might be getting it
Love, scriver~

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2543 on: December 11, 2023, 10:18:02 am »

It's worse than the doppler effect; it's both the doppler effect and time dilation, compounded.

I mean say you are approaching a sequence of sidewalk squares, each 1 meter in length. If you are going 1 meter/second (walking speed), you see one square pass you each second.  If you are on a bicycle going 10m/s, you see 10 squares passing you each second.  So to see the squares even going by at the same 1 second each speed, your internal "framerate" would have to be 10x as fast, making your clock need 10 seconds for 1 second of the rest of the world.  To make things look like "slow motion", you'd have to think each line is going by at say 10 seconds, your internal clock would need to be 100x faster - you'd need 100 of your seconds for each 1 second of the real world.  Or put another way, you spread out 1 second of "world time" into 100 of your local seconds.

But this is opposite time dilation - if you start moving quickly, more "world seconds" get crammed into your one second - not less!  So to exaggerate, 10 real-world seconds get crammed into 1 of your seconds.  That is - the world ages 10 seconds for every 1 second you age.  This is the opposite effect of what is portrayed, where the fast entity ages more than the rest of the world.

So if you were moving that quickly, your internal "framerate" would have to be some ridiculous multiple of your speed, to result in you perceiving things as being in slow-motion.

Also, it's not even considering length contraction and blue-shift/red-shift, which is also all sorts of fun :)

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2544 on: December 11, 2023, 10:33:01 am »

mdr is mort de rire - dead of laughter

Yes highspeed perception would be a separate power required to oprate the first, that sadly is never mentionned in those works of fiction. Under normal perception things would be flying past them so fast. No disagrements there.

But these characters are all sorts of funky: when the flash runs so fast to turn back in time... say he needed to make a tiny course correction... How much power do you need to shift the course of 120lbs at lightspeed by even one 1°? Not to mention that then he would be running blind no matter how fast he perceives.
let

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2545 on: December 11, 2023, 10:45:15 am »

Yes highspeed perception would be a separate power required to oprate the first, that sadly is never mentionned in those works of fiction. Under normal perception things would be flying past them so fast. No disagrements there.
Eehh... it comes up pretty often in books and such, for what it's worth? You don't see it mentioned in comics or movies much, probably because of the condensed nature of the mediums, but folks working in that general region of fiction actually do tend to give some attention to the perception/reaction at high speed thing.

It's not 100%, but I read a fair amount of junk involving superhuman speed and probably well over half make note of the issue one way or another.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2546 on: December 11, 2023, 11:05:40 am »

They should do a whole issue where they do nothing but landscapes then slowly veer off into an in debt description of some new york biome, idk like the life cycle of some insect or something like that... And then in the end it turns out the comic was about the fact that the flash had to wait two minutes.
let

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2547 on: December 12, 2023, 03:58:36 am »

If the Flash stays still for a long period of time he'll explode due to much built up speed in his system.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2548 on: December 12, 2023, 05:53:15 am »

But this is opposite time dilation - if you start moving quickly, more "world seconds" get crammed into your one second - not less!  So to exaggerate, 10 real-world seconds get crammed into 1 of your seconds.  That is - the world ages 10 seconds for every 1 second you age.  This is the opposite effect of what is portrayed, where the fast entity ages more than the rest of the world.
That's not time dilation you're thinking about. Time dilation is always symmetrical, and slowing time down in the moving frame only - and Flash is never moving from his point of view, even though the world disagrees. I think what you have in mind has more to do with the different lengths of paths through space time, as in the twin paradox. At the end the traveller is shown to have unambiguously aged less by the end of their journey, so there must have been more world-seconds crammed in each of theirs.

Btw, I've always thought the Flash/Quicksilver-type slow down superpower is exactly that of increasing one's 'frame rates'. That the whole body can cram more Flash-seconds into each world-second, and the running fast is just a result of that. And not that it has anything to do with relativistic effects from running fast (do they even ever run at significant fraction of c? I don't know the lore).

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2549 on: December 12, 2023, 06:26:59 am »

MDR   Minimum Daily Requirement (Diet & Nutrition)
MDR   Multidrug-Resistant
MDR   Mitteldeutscher Rundfunk (German Radio and TV Station)
MDR   Multi Drug Resistance (of a disease; medical)
MDR   Madera (Amtrak station code; Madera, CA)
MDR   Mort de Rire (French: Died of Laughing)
MDR   Medical Device Reporting
MDR   Main Dining Room
MDR   Marina del Rey (Southern California)
MDR   Market Data Retrieval
MDR   Managed Detection and Response (cybersecurity service; various companies)
MDR   Monatsschrift für Deutsches Recht (German magazine)
MDR   Multi Channel Data Recorder
MDR   Medium Dynamic Range
MDR   Mini Disc Recorder
MDR   Multiservices Dynamic Reservation
MDR   Meta Data Registries
MDR   Multimedia Data Retrieval
MDR   Modular Data Router
MDR   Multi Decrypt Receiver
MDR   Motor Driven Roller (conveyors)
MDR   Medical Devices Regulations (various locations)
MDR   Master of Dispute Resolution (Pepperdine University School of Law; Malibu, CA)
MDR   Manifestation Determination Review (special education hearing; various locations)
MDR   Maternal Death Rate
MDR   Memories, Dreams, Reflections (Carl Jung book)
MDR   Mouvement Démocratique Républicain (Democratic Republican Movement, Rwanda)
MDR   Multifactor Dimensionality Reduction
MDR   Medium Data Rate
MDR   Mission Definition Review (various organizations)
MDR   Memory Data Register
MDR   Making Dreams Reality
MDR   Meta Data Repository
MDR   Mandatory Declassification Review
MDR   Movement for the Defense of the Republic (Cameroon)
MDR   Merchant Discount Rate
MDR   Mission Data Recorder
MDR   Multiple Dwelling Registration
MDR   Manhattan Diagnostic Radiology
MDR   Minimum Design Requirement
MDR   Major District Road (India)
MDR   Membership Drive Rally
MDR   Milestone Decision Review
MDR   Militaire du Rang (all grades under sergeant in the French army)
MDR   Mitglied des Reichstags (German: member of parliament; before 1933)
MDR   Master Data Record
MDR   Mortgage Default Rate
MDR   Mercury Displacement Relay
MDR   Maintenance Data Recorder (aviation; records equipment discrepancies during flight)
MDR   Marginal Deduction Rate (UK)
MDR   Maximum Detectable Rigidity (spectrometer)
MDR   Mission Design Review
MDR   Miniature Donkey Registry
MDR   Missed Detection Rate
MDR   Master Document Register
MDR   Major Daily Rental (vehicles)
MDR   Mini-Disc Recordable
MDR   Medical Device Record
MDR   Materiel Deficiency Report
MDR   Microcircuit Device Reliability
MDR   Manufacturing Data Report
MDR   Minimum Design Rule(s)
MDR   Median Detection Range
MDR   Midi Data Recorder (Yamaha)
MDR   Magic Decoder Ring
MDR   Maximum Distance with Respect to Rank
MDR   Manufacturer Defect Report
MDR   Morrendo de Rir (Portuguese)
MDR   Monthly Demand Rate
MDR   Management, Development and Research Co, Ltd
MDR   Meteorological Doppler Radar
MDR   Maintainability Demonstration Report
MDR   Mission Data Readout (satellite operations)
MDR   Maintenance Data Report/ing
MDR   Mission Data Review
MDR   Mean Detection Range
MDR   Minimum Display Range (US Air Force)
MDR   Mount Device Request
MDR   MHS (Military Health System) Data Repository (US DoD)
MDR   Million Dollar Roundtable (insurance industry)
MDR   Microwave Dielectric Resonator
MDR   Monthly Document Report
MDR   Modal Damping Ratio
MDR   Machinedrijver (Dutch)
MDR   Management Data Report
MDR   Movimiento para la de Defensa de la República
MDR   Mandatory Device Reporting Program (Center for Device and Radiological Health; US FDA)
MDR   Main Distribution Room
MDR   Maximum Deceleration Rate
FPS in Gravearmor (850+ dwarves) is 3-6 (v0.47.05 lives on).
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.
Pages: 1 ... 168 169 [170] 171 172 ... 180