Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 100

Author Topic: What are you currently playing?  (Read 179743 times)

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What are you currently playing?
« Reply #1395 on: August 15, 2023, 05:02:33 pm »

What I did not realize was that, when people said the combat wasn't the main focus of the game... they were saying that it's not very good, not that it wasn't constantly thrown at you. You can't walk through the city streets without getting beset by packs of brigands. Crypts are nonstop hordes of zombies, skeletons, bats, and rats.

If you roll a spellcaster...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

You have to find out how to become a spellcaster first. And you'll probably have too many fighter levels by then if you are playing for the 1st time. Not to learn cloudkill, of course, but to be a really good spellcaster.

On topic: Baldur's Gate 3 as a Tiefling warlock and another run with a friend where I play a Gith eldritch knight and my friend a Drow bard.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #1396 on: August 17, 2023, 03:42:46 am »

Skyrim modding. The deeper you dig, the worse it gets. At this point, i believe users are expected to be 3D-modellers, and ability and willingness to use mod editor is taken for granted. Like, there is an anime race mod that is pretty nice, but has a miserable selection of hairs. It doesn't pick up any from other mods by default, at least not from two that i have. Those that are made for that mod specifically are posted on one-by-one basis on some korean website. Why, yes, you probably can move those you want yourself! Do you dare to enter this magical realm? I'm certain that it is often nowhere near as simple as changing a race name string.
As for 3D-moddeling, racemenu's face editor that borders on being full-fledged 3D-editor occasionaly becomes be-all end-all, with modder demonstratively throwing potatoheads at people. Presets? Nope. Not much from users either, as they, understanably, burn with hatred to all that lives by the time they manage to make something decent.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2023, 03:47:20 am by MCreeper »

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1397 on: August 17, 2023, 05:19:30 pm »

Skyrim modding. The deeper you dig, the worse it gets. At this point, i believe users are expected to be 3D-modellers, and ability and willingness to use mod editor is taken for granted. Like, there is an anime race mod that is pretty nice, but has a miserable selection of hairs. It doesn't pick up any from other mods by default, at least not from two that i have. Those that are made for that mod specifically are posted on one-by-one basis on some korean website. Why, yes, you probably can move those you want yourself! Do you dare to enter this magical realm? I'm certain that it is often nowhere near as simple as changing a race name string.
As for 3D-moddeling, racemenu's face editor that borders on being full-fledged 3D-editor occasionaly becomes be-all end-all, with modder demonstratively throwing potatoheads at people. Presets? Nope. Not much from users either, as they, understanably, burn with hatred to all that lives by the time they manage to make something decent.

And wasn't skyrim one of those they tried to make all mods for-profit on?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1398 on: August 17, 2023, 07:55:02 pm »

Book of Hours. Cultist Simulator was a blast. I have high hopes for BoH. I might even *gasp* make a thread for it. Dunno though, they were rumblings of accessibility in CS. So it might be a somewhat easier game to get through or at least solve than CS.

If you buy it during launch week at -10% off, you automatically get the Perpetual Edition, which means you own any and all DLCs they release.

-edit-

Right there in the first text blurb screen: "Book of Hours is not a punishing game, unless you want it to be."

Ha! There's remixes of tracks from CS. Man this feels right at home.

After an hour or so of feeling my way around.....this is going to be a good one.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2023, 09:11:42 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1399 on: August 18, 2023, 04:49:05 am »

I've had some issues and bad luck with cultist simulator. My first attempt at it was a gimmick ending, followed by a quick death, followed by me picking "the medium" as my first real go at the game, which turned out to be the hardest plotline and required basically going through every card in the game, meaning I didn't have much mystery waiting for me for the rest of the characters. At least I beat that one.

I also tried the exile, but after finding out that you need to just straight up get lucky and know all the details of all the locations and items to win.... Well that's just annoying. At least add some plot to make me feel like I'm suppose to be dying over and over.

I hope book of hours gives me the same feeling the game first did.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1400 on: August 18, 2023, 10:11:10 am »

I'm getting the same vibe. It's just somewhat cozier. But the CS music being in BoH really brings the feeling back for me.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1401 on: August 18, 2023, 06:11:23 pm »

Tell me more about it. I'm on the fence. How different is it from CS?

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #1402 on: August 19, 2023, 01:16:25 am »

Tell me more about it. I'm on the fence. How different is it from CS?
From what i have seen so far, mostly in less deaths (none at all that i could see, at least). Despite some QOL improvements, game still seems to consist of grinding up few things you need among a pile of things you don't and desperately trying to not mess up your inventory. Except inventory is now pre-messed up cluttered house the size of a palace.

Crafting is pretty much CS rituals, but crosspaths and ritual kinds have been swapped for skill categories. Crafting station usually doesn't matter - i was very confused when i got "alchemical reagents" by putting a bunch of non-physical things in a piano.

My own question - where do you spend normie cash? All i see is spending it on hiring help to clear the rooms, but base income you are given feels like it will be enough for hiring every day, which is poignantly not the case.

And books not showing memories they give you after reading is annoying.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2023, 01:21:29 am by MCreeper »

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1403 on: August 19, 2023, 03:28:12 am »

The big difference is time. In CS you are under constant time pressure from every angle.
You starve, you get sick, the detective comes after you, you go insane, you go broke, ect.

On and on and on, so every moment counts, sometimes a second doesn't matter much, but sometimes being a single second slower can ruin minutes worth of plans or even kill you if things are tight enough. You have to juggle cards and plan things out and make bad choices.

There is no time pressure in BoH, instead of cards expiring based on seconds everything instead expires/renews at the end of the day.
Because of that everything is more chill and stuff like card juggling is completely out the window.

Instead of frantically trying stuff you slowly and methodically progress a single day's worth of actions at a time.
Exploring the house and looking at everything in the room when you find it, working out how skills work, and puzzling out how to read the next book or unlock a new room without having to worry about everything crashing and burning because you were two seconds slow pausing the game and your maid in the mirror disappeared.
There are a number of UI upgrades, such as the game flat out telling you what item types go in which slots that makes things a great deal clearer and makes discovery feel better since you don't need to check every single space with every possible item type.

Also yeah, so far (5 hr) no death or even any true threats.

Is it better without time pressures/constant fear of death?
Dunno, its certainly a different feeling one, that's for sure.
I can say though that the time pressure and worry made made some parts of CS really fun when things got tight and you barely manage to squeak through, so it isn't just a flat out upgrade.

Personally I would recommend it if you think you would like a more chill CS.
I've had some issues and bad luck with cultist simulator. My first attempt at it was a gimmick ending, followed by a quick death, followed by me picking "the medium" as my first real go at the game, which turned out to be the hardest plotline and required basically going through every card in the game, meaning I didn't have much mystery waiting for me for the rest of the characters. At least I beat that one.
The way permadeath in CS was implemented was a pretty big mistake. Making you restart and do the exact same thing in a long grindy game with no real randomization where you are expected to collect every item in the game simply isn't good design.
My own question - where do you spend normie cash? All i see is spending it on hiring help to clear the rooms, but base income you are given feels like it will be enough for hiring every day, which is poignantly not the case.
Only hiring as far as I've gotten, although you can spend a lot on hiring help. Hiring the priest/smith once a day is easily doable, but the better helpers from the inn are pretty pricey and if you hire them too much you can easily use up all your money. (Also sending a letter costs a single pence).

Still enough areas left in the game that I would be vaguely surprised if there wasn't anything else to spend the money on though.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1404 on: August 19, 2023, 10:19:05 am »

Playing a "custom" world, having imported it from the previous historical game in the series. Unfortunately, without Historical Colonizers, no colonization occurs by the AI, so I have to do it "manually".

It's 1600, and my tiny island nation is the only one slowly breaking into the Caribbean.  I was going to sell land to jump start colonization, but nobody in my marginal culture group has the wealth to buy, and nobody else wants "useless land of the wrong culture group".

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

zhijinghaofromchina

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a fan of 矮人要塞
    • View Profile
« Reply #1405 on: August 21, 2023, 09:08:27 pm »

These days I am learning how to drive a car however during the time when I was at a rest, I was bored and want to find something to play.
Then the game of chrome little dragon caught my eyes and I gradually become addicted to it.
Also the dan ball game stick ranger 2 is also very good , it seems like the dwarf Fortress 矮人要塞’s adventure mode.
人生在世不称意 明朝散发弄扁舟

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1406 on: August 22, 2023, 10:55:59 am »

Decided to get back into Dead Cells after a five-year hiatus.

Shit's still hard as all hell. I've only just managed to semi-regularly get to the first boss, and I'm currently only 50/50 on getting past him.

I'm playing on the 1BC difficulty level, a legacy of my 0BC win all those years ago. The fact that the game goes all the way up to 5BC is downright depressing.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1407 on: August 22, 2023, 05:33:36 pm »

Decided to get back into Dead Cells after a five-year hiatus.

Shit's still hard as all hell. I've only just managed to semi-regularly get to the first boss, and I'm currently only 50/50 on getting past him.

I'm playing on the 1BC difficulty level, a legacy of my 0BC win all those years ago. The fact that the game goes all the way up to 5BC is downright depressing.

You get...more caveman the better you are?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1408 on: August 23, 2023, 03:15:49 pm »

It's short for Boss Cells, apparently. It's less that you get more cavemen when you're better, and more that the more cavemen you have, the harder the game tries to murder you. It doesn't appreciate your neanderthal harem.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1409 on: August 23, 2023, 03:49:22 pm »

These days I am learning how to drive a car however during the time when I was at a rest, I was bored and want to find something to play.
Then the game of chrome little dragon caught my eyes and I gradually become addicted to it.
Also the dan ball game stick ranger 2 is also very good , it seems like the dwarf Fortress 矮人要塞’s adventure mode.
Man, it's been a long time since I saw that site referenced. I've been playing Logi Box when I've been hankering for a puzzle this past couple of years, but Powder Toy is still fun just to mess about it.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 100