Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8

Author Topic: Ruin: Cooperative RTD *Combat Test* Finished. Feedback welcome  (Read 6571 times)

Smoke Mirrors

• Bay Watcher
  • Do I exist yet?
    • View Profile
Re: Ruin: Cooperative RTD *Combat Test* (5/3+)
« Reply #75 on: May 03, 2018, 07:02:29 am »

Zeke

1. Move to row 2
2. Move to row 3
Don't worry too much about the one mistake, Smoke Mirrors. Your character was memorable for all the demonology and story writing.

I’m running a game/mechanics test called Fate/Mechanics Test. Feel free to check it out.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 03, 2018, 06:04:10 pm »

Turn 3

Turns

Good Guys

Pre Movement
Zeke: Move up two rows

Robbin Hood: disengage from melee, Move up one row (the werebear engaged in melee with you, meaning you have to spend a movement to disengage, then one to move. You can't attack this turn)

The Bandit: Move up two rows

Sub: Move up 2 rows

Winters: Move up one row

Bonus
Winters: Prepare to charge [5]: You crouch down on your hands and feet, ready to launch foreward in a moments notice. (1 free movement action next turn in addition to other actions)

Attacks
none

Post Movement
none

Bad Guys

Movement
move to row 3, engage with the Bandit

Attacks
Swipe the Bandit [2]: The Bandit ducks under the massive paw
Bite the Bandit (2-1) = [2]: The Bandit dives under the werebear's legs, avoiding the mouth. He stands up again, ready to fight some more.

Post Movement
none

Battlefield
Code: [Select]
Row 9:
Row 8:
Row 7:
Row 6:
Row 5:
Row 4: Sub (archer)
Row 3: Robbin (archer), [Bandit (archer), WereBear] Zeke 2 (mage)
Row 2: Winters 2
Row 1: 

Status

Good Guys
Spoiler: Subject 2 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Cpt. Winters 2 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Ezekial Ruyn 2 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: The Bandit (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Robin Hood (click to show/hide)
Bad Guys

WereBear
Head: 275/400
Body: 1000/1000
Front Left Leg: 300/300
Front Right Leg: 300/300
Back Left Leg: 300/300
Back Right Leg: 300/300

To Kill: Destroy the Head or the Body
To Immobalize: Destroy 2 legs

Spoiler: abilities (click to show/hide)
Spoiler:  attacks (click to show/hide)

From what I understand, you guys want it to take a couple of hits to be killed. The con to this is that battles will necessarily take longer. I want the threat of death to be always present, so enemies will need more chances to hit you. Let me know what you think. Do you want more hit points/less damaging attacks for everything (for you and the enemies) but longer battles?

I'm thinking of a better way to handle healing. since it seems like it would be very useful to know exactly how much healing can be done, I think that it fits best as an attack action, targeting yourself or an ally. The damage is healed instead of dealt, but is still multiplied by the dice roll just like attacks. With higher levels, you can gain access to better healing as well as better attacks.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 03, 2018, 06:11:10 pm »

Sub moves to row 6.

Yes, longer battles and healing as an anti-combat is good.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Tomasque

• Bay Watcher
  • Gonna one-up FoU - with an FG in my personal text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 03, 2018, 06:39:46 pm »

Bandit
Disengage
Move up
The quantum cannonball hits you in the face and misses!
Money!
GENERATION grisha5: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 03, 2018, 08:11:38 pm »

Winters:
move to 3
Engage werebear in melee with two slashes at it's front left leg.
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

MonkeyMarkMario

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 03, 2018, 11:19:41 pm »

Robbin Hood
1.move to row 5

I need to get out of the way.
My Forum game(s):
Hahaha, ya right

Any future games will be simpler in nature, I have a bad habit of biting off more than I can chew. Also hoping for more players in them.

I have Discord for my games now(not necessary to play, tho might be easier to contact me): https://discord.gg/DuaARAZ

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 06, 2018, 04:41:39 pm »

Turn 4

While the archers all ran in terror, Cpt. Winters attempted to distract the beast to give them time to calm themselves down.

Turns

Good Guys

Pre Movement
Sub: Move up 2 rows

The Bandit: Disengage and move up one row

Winters: Move up one row and engage with werebear (free movement action)

Robbin Hood: Move up 2 rows

Bonus
Winters: Prepare to charge [5]: You crouch down on your hands and feet, ready to launch foreward in a moments notice. (1 free movement action next turn in addition to other actions)

Attacks
Winters: Light Strike front left leg [6]: (180 - 10) = 170 damage! The bear was still recovering from attacking the Bandit while you ran up from behind. You take advantage of the bear's distraction, and slash the bear's front left leg. The blade bites deep in the skin, and the bear howls in pain before turning around to retaliate.
Level Up!
Free attack: Swipe Winters [4]: (100 - 20) = 80 damage! The paw slams into Winters' legs, taking them out. The captain's left leg was dislocated and bent at an odd angle, however, the captain stood on his good leg, and let out a defiant roar.
Light Strike Front left leg [1]: Winters goes for another strike, but falls off balance and returns to the ground. The bear takes advantage and tries to finish you off.
Free attack: Bite Winters [1]: But the bear puts too much weight on his injured leg, and falls just like the captain. Winters stands up and strikes again.
Free Attack: light strike front left leg [5]: (120 - 10) = 110 damage! Winters sends the blade into the same leg from the other side. The leg was gushing blood from two locations. It would not take much to send it out of commision.

Post Movement
none

Bad Guys

Movement
none

Attacks
Swipe Captain Winters [1]: The bear tries to attack the captain, but his injured arm causes him to miss. The bloodied captain retaliates.
Free Attack: Punch Front Left leg (5 + 1) = [5]: (60 - 10) = 50 Damage! The captain closes a fist, and drives his arm into the open gash on the Werebear's leg. The first disappears into the meat, and comes out with several organic materials in his clutches. The captain had ripped out several blood vessels and nerves inside the leg. At this point, the leg had gone completely limp. This will most certainly affect the bear's speed.
Swipe Captain Winters [3]: (50 - 20) = 30 damage! The bear uses its other paw and once again smacks the captain into the ground. Both combatants were weary, but still determined to finish this.

Post Movement
none

Battlefield
Row 9:
Row 8:
Row 7:
Row 6: Sub (archer)
Row 5: Robbin (archer)
Row 4: Bandit (archer)
Row 3: Winters (warrior), WereBear, Zeke (mage)
Row 2:
Row 1: 

Status

Good Guys
Bad Guys

WereBear
Head: 275/400
Front Left Leg: 0/300
Front Right Leg: 300/300

Way to go Captain Winters!

Since this battle is very close to being over, I think it is time to start reviewing the tests. I have decided that I do really like the movement system, and the battle system. It just needs some balancing on the attacks (what was I thinking when I made pre-patch archers...) A summary of the changes to the battle system I plan to make for the real game:
-add healing as an attack option, in its own category along with ranged and melee attacks.
-give everybody more health. (easier then rebalancing every attack)

If you have any more suggestions for how I could improve the combat system, let me know.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 06, 2018, 05:06:45 pm »

Sub 2
Powershot to a bear leg
Powershot to the same bear leg

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 06, 2018, 07:28:28 pm »

Winters
Defend myself, using both actions! Endure, dodge, doesn't matter how, just stay alive!
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

Tomasque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 06, 2018, 10:45:34 pm »

The Bandit
Aim
Power shot
Money!
GENERATION grisha5: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 07, 2018, 05:17:29 pm »

Turn 5

Captain Winters made a brave last stand, facing down the fierce beast before him

Turns

Good Guys

Pre Movement
none

Bonus
Winters: Dodge [3]: You get in a stance beneficial to dodging, but your wounds are really hampering your progress.
Winters Dodge [5]: You grit your teeth, ignore the pain, and bend your one good knee, ready to leap in any direction necessary. (-1 to all attacks against you until next turn)

Attacks
Sub 2: Powershot front right leg (2-1) = [2]: You aim for the bears other foreleg, but the bears erratic movement causes you to miss.
Powershot front right leg (5-1) = [4]: (50-10) = 40 damage! Your second shot is better placed, and the arrowhead buries itself deep in the bear's meaty leg.

The Bandit: Normal Shot Head [6]: (120 - 10) = 110 damage! You fire a point blank shot into the same eye as before. Both arrow shafts pretrude from the eye socket at slightly different angles. The bear is furious, and chucks a rock at you.
Free Attack: Throw Rock (4-1) = [3]: 50 damage! The rock glances your right leg, dropping you to the floor and leaving your leg in a bloody mess. Nevertheless, you get back up and get ready to fight some more.
(Power shot has a minimum range of 3 rows. Also, you didn't specify a body part, so I just used the last one you attacked)

Post Movement
none

Bad Guys

Movement
disengage with Captain Winters
move to row 4 and engage with the bandit.

The werebear sees that Captain Winters poses little threat, and goes for the one person who had been causing him the most pain.

Attacks
none

Post Movement
none

Battlefield
Row 9:
Row 8:
Row 7:
Row 6: Sub (archer)
Row 5: Robbin (archer)
Row 4: [Bandit (archer), werebear]
Row 3: Winters (warrior),  Zeke (mage)
Row 2:
Row 1: 

Status

Good Guys
Bad Guys

WereBear
Head: 165/400
Front Left Leg: 0/300
Front Right Leg: 260/300

a few more hits to the head should do it.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 06:06:38 pm by origamiscienceguy »

Tomasque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 07, 2018, 05:44:13 pm »

Remember to lower my HP in the spoiler!

Bandit
1. Dodge
2. Parry

Go for the head, guys! we can do this!
Money!

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 07, 2018, 05:50:39 pm »

Sub
Move to 7
Powershot the head!

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 07, 2018, 05:51:25 pm »

Winters
Attempt to heal myself up, both actions again. I'm not likely to be attacked unless bandit disengages and tries to move by me.

MonkeyMarkMario

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 07, 2018, 06:40:16 pm »

Robbin Hood
1.Normal Shot Head
2.Normal Shot Head
Fire Everything!
My Forum game(s):
Hahaha, ya right

Any future games will be simpler in nature, I have a bad habit of biting off more than I can chew. Also hoping for more players in them.

I have Discord for my games now(not necessary to play, tho might be easier to contact me): https://discord.gg/DuaARAZ
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8