Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17

Author Topic: The Lonely Shore: a shipwreck RTD  (Read 20512 times)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: The Lonely Shore: a shipwreck RTD
« Reply #225 on: December 22, 2018, 12:42:33 am »

(Wondering, do active people rank higher than inactive people? :P)
(If you want to control them, be my guest :P But sure, for that matter. Active people rank higher because inactive people got ordered)

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: December 22, 2018, 11:28:54 am »

agh. go hunting for trouble. stripy feline trouble.
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: December 22, 2018, 12:11:39 pm »

Ivan Semyonov

Apply for a medical check.
Sharpen the branches into stakes/javelins to supply Dustan with some additional weaponry.
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

Trinculoisdead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: December 30, 2018, 12:20:34 am »

fNote from Trinculo: Hey guys, as you might be able to tell from the update schedule lately, I'm running out of steam on this one. I've got one regular update left, and then I think we'll do a little epilogue. So if there was anything you really wanted to get done here, now is the time! Feel free to put in more than one action if you've got something complicated to do. Thanks for playing, and let's end this rightly!

Day 5, mid-day (2/4)
Order of the Day: Find more food.

agh. go hunting for trouble. stripy feline trouble.
Phys: 12, 5
There was once an explorer called Hache,
Who chose to do something quite rash.
A staff in his hand,
Eyes turned to the land,
He went lookin' for a tiger to bash.

He looked high and looked low,
For the great stripey foe,
Until his ears caught the sound of a growl!
Staff gripped in his hand,
He leapt across the sand,
And whacked some thing that let out a yowl!

'Twas a tiger, to be sure,
Fussily licking its fur,
Not expecting so to be walloped.
It leapt in a fright,
And with all of its might,
Into the jungle it galloped!

Go hunt for animals to replace the meat I ruined. Take my axe with me to use as my weapon. (For these purposes, a tiger is not an animal. A tiger is a hazard to be avoided at all costs.)

Wit: 7, 4
Into the jungle you go, moving with the stealth of one long-accustomed to avoiding undue attention. Suddenly, you hear an angry yowl from beyond a stand of thick bushes. Following the yowl comes a striped orange-and-black-and-white beast, cat-like but very big, crashing through the bushes, its face a-bristle with angry and frightened whiskers. its sparking eyes catch sight of you around the same time that you catch sight of it, and it is impossible to tell who is more frightened in the moment. Skidding into an about-face with surprising grace, the tiger scatters thick globs of mud into your eyes with its hind-paws as it streaks off at an acute angle. You topple over backwards, wiping the mud away and shrieking at a level and pitch previously known only to the most virtuosic of female sopranos.
When your blurry vision clears, you see a wild-eyed Mr. Hache standing above you. He is gripping a staff in his hands. You note that there are several long, orange hairs stuck into the splintered end of it. He chides you for not striking down the tiger with your axe! And then asks whether he can make use of it for a bit?

Eventually, your heart-beat ritardandos, and you go find a quiet clearing somewhere and wait outside of a burrow. You catch a pair of especially plump and lazy rabbit-like creatures.

Apply for a medical check.
Sharpen the branches into stakes/javelins to supply Dustan with some additional weaponry.

Wit: 10, 1
You craft 2 sharpened stakes, hardening their tips in the coals. They are acceptable, but not very straight.
At your request, Sibata looks you over. She declares that you are healthy enough, if worn thin from the hard events of the past few days.

"I know how to gain access to the real temple, we just need to follow the trail of markers and touch them. C'mon lads, in the name of treasure!"
"C'mon Jack, what are you waiting for? Heaps of gold and diamonds await you once you touch all the markers."

Convince Jack to touch all the markers. Return to the temple once he touched all of them.
Pers: 7 (12-5), 5
Jack is young and gullible. His eyes widen at your enticing promises of treasures untold. He willingly touches the next marker, and the next, even leading the way when the way is obvious, calling back for you and the Duke to hurry. But then, some of the cheer begins to leave him. He begins to jerk away with a cry when he places his hand on the stone, and on the next marker he shudders. On the third, he staggers backwards, pale and retching, a stream of white and brown vomit dripping from his mouth. He looks upset; crcles begin to form under his eyes. But still Jack is strangely driven, for he refuses to stop, even for a moment. "No, no," he slurs, "'Gotta... gotta getta the marker, gottagetthuhtreshuh".

You watch the the Duke curiously. For he is also touching each marker, but with no outward effects.

Poor Jack is quite exhausted when you arrive back at the mysterious stone steps, and must sit down and breathe deeply for a while. Some of his colour has returned, but his eyes are darting and troubled, with an unsettling glint in the corner of them.

Continue helping Elizabeth find the markers with my knowledge of the island. I have explored these parts many times, and maybe I get lucky and find the markers by accident. Touch all the markers, too.
You guide Elizabeth and Jack along the trail of markers. Elizabeth promises gold and jewels to the boy if he will touch them all, and he takes the bait. he becomes increasingly disturbed by the touch of the markers, however, and a dark cloud begins to come over his face. It wearies him, mentally and physically, it would appear, to touch the dark stone.

For yourself, however, it seems to grant your pampered old limbs renewed strength. A wicked thought begins to whisper in your mind, and by the time you again reach the stone steps it becomes a dark certainty: if you do not make sacrifice, spill rich blood upon your ancestor's crest, then the boy will attempt something similar. However, the two of you together could over-whelm the foolish Ms. Rutherford. And then...
In the trees above, a reddish bird startles off into the blue sky, squawking with fear.

Highest Rank
Alira begins to organize the crew based on seniority--with a thorough medical check on all members (for scurvy, checking their teeth--ulterior motive, to fix up this impression that the crew did this); she then sets the ORDER OF THE DAY to more food finding for Karma.

Basically she then makes a structure where the Dutch crew--the healthy ones anyway, is to be in a trio with one of each of the people here in descending order of seniority (e.g. Alira gets 2 of the highest officers they have, while at the bottom the Stowaway doesn't...get any if there are no more of their crew)

"We need to depart soon. I do not like the looks of this."

She also orders ANY/ALL INACTIVE PEOPLE to go guard the ship and investigate it's holds and such.

Pers: 5 (9-4), 4
Masterfully, you take control of the situation. Noone speaks against you amongst the Dutch, and so everyone seems content to do as you tell them. 9 Dutchmen, there are, in total, 2 assigned to: Yourself, Dustan Hache, Ms Rutherford, and three for the Duke. Of course, these last three are nowhere to be found at the moment, so the 7 simply act together with the 9.

Under your command, these 9, as well as Aigresaur and Blake in camp, set about bringing provisions out to the ship, investigating its hold, and making general preparations for departure. Apart from the captain's blood-stains, they find nothing untoward in the ship. Or, at least, that is what they tell you. It is a large vessel, and you were not clear on how thorough you wished them to search it, or for what.

Kill her...
"No... no I don't want to do that stop thinking that"
Spill her blood...
"Nonono stop it! STOP IT! I want my momma please stop momma please!"
do it...

Spoiler: "Aigresaur the Cook" (click to show/hide)
As the others search the ship, you pretend that the crew have captured your monstrous shape and are bringing you back in chains as an attraction for royalty. You roar in anguish and gnash your teeth!

...The searching crew give Aigresaur a wide berth as he drapes coils over his limbs and stomps around on the deck-boards.

Spoiler: "William Blake" (click to show/hide)
Thank God! The ship is being made ready to leave! You kiss your lucky bag of grain and set to filling water-casks with boisterous song in your heart and on your lips.
"Oh I knew a wench in Amsterdam, her lips were sweet as honey, thighs as plump as a whole ham, and the cutest little...!"

Long-term goals:
Small Boat w/ sail: sail, 2/6 building checks, 0/6 building materials.

Discovered:
Ivan and Jack: a deep pit leading to a volcanic tunnel that heads underground toward the shorter hill.
Ms. Rutherford: a fishing spot in the lagoon, some ways west along the beach from the shelter.
Alira Sibata: a grove of banana plants, 1d6 meals' worth of bananas once per day. 20 minutes walk inland from the shelter. (it takes an action to go harvest them)
Duke Adalhard: The Eldritch Temple! Permanent +2 Luck to all survivors, and anyone who wishes may now travel to the temple to become an initiate into the secret murder cult, gaining any and all benefits. Additionally, killing a Secret Murder Cultist now grants 3 less Exhaustion to the killer than previously.

Built:
A shelter, large enough to fit 10 survivors.
Food-store: 3 bundles of bananas, a bundle of roots, 2 piles of mushrooms, some spiky sea-creatures, 2 meals' worth of burnt pork, 5 meal's worth of pork-stew

(P.S. The tiger rule is abolished!
« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 03:47:22 pm by Trinculoisdead »

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: December 30, 2018, 12:31:10 am »

Has anyone harvested the bananas today? If not, go do that. Also deposit my rabbits and the bananas in the stockpile.

I’ll also go out with my basket and axe and see if I can find any other groves of fruit-bearing trees, or maybe bushes with numerous edible berries on them.

If I encounter any murder attempts, I’ll oppose them. I suspect I won’t be in the area, though.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 03:32:03 pm by Glass »
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: December 30, 2018, 06:24:49 am »

Ivan Semyonov

Search for citrus fruit trees; lime, oranges, lemons, you name it!
Give out some of the citrus fruits to Dutchmen for quicker recovery from scurvy.
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: December 30, 2018, 08:16:39 am »

find and finish the tiger off, then bring it to the ship! I want proof that I journeyed to a distant land with dangerous beasts, and a tiger-pelt on my rug will do nicely!
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

Hotfire90

« Reply #232 on: December 30, 2018, 02:31:13 pm »

((Shame that the game is ending already, just as we're about to have our first murder, and should I survive, perhaps a change in leadership.))

"Well done Jack, we're all rich now thanks to you. Well not quite, you're rich, us nobles however have only become richer. Onwards to the Temple!"

Head to the Temple and loot all its treasures. Try to avoid getting murdered.

Assuming I survive the inevitable murder attempt, return to the camp with as much treasure as I can carry and quickly Take Command.

Trinculoisdead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: December 30, 2018, 03:49:33 pm »

It sure took long enough! Some mis-match between the murdering rules and the setting, I do believe. Or else Randomgenericusername is just a lazy murder cultist.

Yeah I'm ready to move on. It's been too much of a foraging-game overall.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 03:57:24 pm by Trinculoisdead »

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: January 04, 2019, 09:11:58 am »

((Shame that the game is ending already, just as we're about to have our first murder, and should I survive, perhaps a change in leadership.))

"Well done Jack, we're all rich now thanks to you. Well not quite, you're rich, us nobles however have only become richer. Onwards to the Temple!"

Assuming I survive the inevitable murder attempt, return to the camp with as much treasure as I can carry and quickly Take Command.

The duke looks cautiously in Jack's direction.

"Ich would careful if ich were you. Jack scheint zu be going wahnsinnig insane! Die mörderisch murderously violent sorte von insane.

The temple had mentioned something about "bathing in blood". Maybe it requires... something as a sacrifice? Seeing that Jack is no longer sane, he might be a good candidate for sacrifice. Otherwise, he might try to murder us.

Try to convince fellow noble that Jack might try to attack us and that we should use him as a sacrifice to open the temple as he has clearly gone mad.
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

Trinculoisdead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: January 05, 2019, 03:47:39 am »

Would the two of you like to act on that as well?

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: January 06, 2019, 04:57:10 am »

((Away due to holidays and other issues :-\ Also I'm feeling a golden ending being present but woaaaa this looks like a scary free for all between NPCs, PCs, and the Duke's Death People...))

Spend the whole time medically examining everyone I can for marks--even their dental hygiene (or their teeth) because of scurvy! Start with the Dutch crew please.

Inactives in my area (e.g. not at secret murder doom temple) will please ensure the ship is ship-shape for getting the heck away!

Hotfire90

« Reply #237 on: January 06, 2019, 03:00:07 pm »

"Insane, murderous and violent? Dear Duke you must be mistaken, Jack did a most valiant job doing what he was told to do. Though he does seem to be suffering from some sort of tropical fewer. Oh dear, I hope it's not contagious."

Resist the Duke's attempts to convince me to murder Jack, also keep my distance from Jack, I don't want to catch whatever disease he's suffering from.

Trinculoisdead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: February 10, 2019, 02:35:13 am »

Note: Hey guys, I'm back! This update got a little loopy with the tiger, I'm not sure what happened there, to be honest, haha.
Anyway, this was the last real update of the adventure, hope that's okay. What I'd like to do is have a little epilogue for each of the characters. And I think you guys should write them. Here's what you do:

1. Roll a d20. (http://www.brockjones.com/dieroller/dice.htm if you don't have one handy)
2. Compare the number to your Luck score. Equal to or less means success, higher means failure.
3. If the roll succeeded, write an ending for your character in which things work out for them. If the roll failed, describe the unfortunate and untimely end they come to. Try and relate this ending to what happened during this game, using elements from it if you like. As brief or as lengthy as you like, I look forward to your replies.
And thanks for playing. :)

Day 5, afternoon (3/4)
Order of the Day: Find more food.

find and finish the tiger off, then bring it to the ship! I want proof that I journeyed to a distant land with dangerous beasts, and a tiger-pelt on my rug will do nicely!
Phys: 16, 2
Tiger, tiger, in the shade,
of the cool green fronds,
Where do you prowl?
Just let out a yowl,
So that Dustan can find you out!

Hache searches high and low,
in grotto and clearing,
For sign of the beast,
For sound within hearing.
When, all a sudden, without warning or growl,
the tiger appears, on its face... a scowl?
Not ahead, on the trail, but behind, on Dustan's tail!

What is this? Now it stalks...
What is this?? Now it TALKS!
"Greetings, brave hunter, long have you sought for me,
'Ere you shoot, let us talk as friends, and not as enemy?"

Dustan leaps with fright, and draws back in surprise.
What is this? A tiger that talks, argues, (maybe lies?)

"I was man once, like you, but translated by magic,
into this stripèd form, most pitiable and tragic!
By an infamous seer, wicked and jealous,
of my nobility, and my 'cause (perhaps overzealous?)
To cleanse this island, of its evil blight,
by slaying evil-doers, and setting things right.

"But my curse can be broken, by one such as you.
Return me to England, that is all you must do!"

Dustan considers, this surprising plot.
Will he shoot the tiger? Or will he not?
But before he can act, the tiger attacks!
A ploy all along! Some dastardly trick.
Hache beats it back with a stick.

A flash of claws, the glimmer of steel,
a sudden shot, like a thunderous peal.
The hunter and hunted tumbling 'round.
And down falls the tiger, shaking the ground.

Has anyone harvested the bananas today? If not, go do that. Also deposit my rabbits and the bananas in the stockpile.
I’ll also go out with my basket and axe and see if I can find any other groves of fruit-bearing trees, or maybe bushes with numerous edible berries on them.
If I encounter any murder attempts, I’ll oppose them. I suspect I won’t be in the area, though.

You gather 4 bundles of bananas and return with them to the shelter. The food stores have already been loaded into the ship, and Alira orders you to take the bananas to the ship as well. There are no signs of murder or foul-intent, except, of course, for the not-quite scrubbed-out blood stains aboard the ship itself.

Search for citrus fruit trees; lime, oranges, lemons, you name it!
Give out some of the citrus fruits to Dutchmen for quicker recovery from scurvy.

Luck: 11, 5
You are unable to find any citrus trees on this wild jungle island, but you do come across probably one of the last bits of wreckage from the Golden Dawn: a crate of glass bottles full of lemon juice. What luck! You are ordered aboard the ship by Alira Sibata, and hurry to gather your few belongings.

""Insane, murderous and violent? Dear Duke you must be mistaken, Jack did a most valiant job doing what he was told to do. Though he does seem to be suffering from some sort of tropical fewer. Oh dear, I hope it's not contagious."

Elizabeth turns to Jack, who is breathing heavily, his eyes rolling wildly.

Assuming I survive the inevitable murder attempt, return to the camp with as much treasure as I can carry and quickly Take Command.Resist the Duke's attempts to convince me to murder Jack, also keep my distance from Jack, I don't want to catch whatever disease he's suffering from.

Pers: 8 (11-3), 3
You resist the Duke's arguments, and skillfully maneuver yourself so that the Duke is closer to Jack, who is now drooling in a disturbing manner, than you are.

You turn towards the wide-stone steps, but are non-plussed. You have arrived, in a sense, but where is the actual temple? You only see steps and the two pillars. Something is missing...

With a shriek, the boy leaps onto the Duke, biting at his throat. His fever has taken a sudden turn for the violent! For a moment, you consider helping the Duke, whose life-blood is now squirting out through the boy's gnashing teeth... but then your more sensible instincts take over and you turn away, gather up your skirts into billowy bundles, and run away as fast as you can.

When you eventually arrive back at the shore, you find the survivors carrying supplies down to the beach and onto the Dutch ship's longboat. But you are empty-handed after your treasure hunt, and have left Alira Sibata's cabin-boy feverish and murderous in the jungle. How can you convince the others that you should take command?

The duke looks cautiously in Jack's direction.

"Ich would careful if ich were you. Jack scheint zu be going wahnsinnig insane! Die mörderisch murderously violent sorte von insane.

The temple had mentioned something about "bathing in blood". Maybe it requires... something as a sacrifice? Seeing that Jack is no longer sane, he might be a good candidate for sacrifice. Otherwise, he might try to murder us.

Try to convince fellow noble that Jack might try to attack us and that we should use him as a sacrifice to open the temple as he has clearly gone mad.

You argue with Elizabeth in low-tones so that Jack cannot hear, but she refutes the idea that Jack must be killed. "The boy is clearly feverish!" She says. You search for the most... appropriate way to suggest that if you don't kill Jack he will kill you, but your thoughts are interrupted by a savage growl from behind you.
GRAAAHHHH!!! The boy, his face twisted into an inhuman mask of anger, is flying through the air towards your head. Instinctively you...

Phys: 9, 2

Throw up your hands in a rather pathetic gesture of surprise. It does little to deflect the boy, and you feel his teeth latch onto your wind-pipe. There is a terrible pressure, followed by a popping sound and a spray of blood that squirts off the boy's face and onto your own. You stagger backwards, your hands flapping futilely at Jack's shoulders. But he clamps his legs and arms around your back and starts chewing at your wrinkled, grey throat.

Highest Rank
Spend the whole time medically examining everyone I can for marks--even their dental hygiene (or their teeth) because of scurvy! Start with the Dutch crew please.

Inactives in my area (e.g. not at secret murder doom temple) will please ensure the ship is ship-shape for getting the heck away!

You set about inspecting everyone's teeth and skin for anything... suspicious.
Wit: 1, 6
You thoroughly inspect the Dutchmen, and then your own survivors. You find strange bite-marks on the four ill Dutchmen, while everyone else is fairly intact: various wounds aside. What killed the Dutch captain has clearly bitten these four sailors, perhaps infecting them with a wasting disease!
Meanwhile, the survivors load the ship with enough supplies for the voyage to the nearest friendly port. The Dutch sailors go over the vessel, checking that everything is ship-shape.

The voices overwhelm your mind, and you leap for the Duke. Blood is all you want now.

Spoiler: "Aigresaur the Cook" (click to show/hide)
Curses! These puny sailors have tricked you into captivity. You messily devour a tin-ful of crackers, pretending that each is made up of large beef-bones. Fools! To think that feeding you such fare will tame your ferocious spirit!

Spoiler: "William Blake" (click to show/hide)
"Her bed was waaaarm, her eyes were kiiiind, Her arms were sooooft, her eyes were fiiiine. She..."
Hm... How did that part of the song go... Oh well no matter.

Long-term goals:
Small Boat w/ sail: sail, 2/6 building checks, 0/6 building materials.

Discovered:
Ivan and Jack: a deep pit leading to a volcanic tunnel that heads underground toward the shorter hill.
Ms. Rutherford: a fishing spot in the lagoon, some ways west along the beach from the shelter.
Alira Sibata: a grove of banana plants, 1d6 meals' worth of bananas once per day. 20 minutes walk inland from the shelter. (it takes an action to go harvest them)
Also, the Dutch Merchant Ship.
Duke Adalhard: The Eldritch Temple! Permanent +2 Luck to all survivors, and anyone who wishes may now travel to the temple to become an initiate into the secret murder cult, gaining any and all benefits. Additionally, killing a Secret Murder Cultist now grants 3 less Exhaustion to the killer than previously.

Built:
A shelter, large enough to fit 10 survivors.
Food-store: 3 bundles of bananas, a bundle of roots, 2 piles of mushrooms, some spiky sea-creatures, 2 meals' worth of burnt pork, 5 meal's worth of pork-stew

« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 02:30:53 pm by Trinculoisdead »

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: February 10, 2019, 07:42:18 am »

((TFW cultists attack cultists :o ))

Alira thought in silence. She waved at the noble who seemed like she took a good long walk of exercise.

"Heard you were with the others. Call them here. I'm reordering the folks." She whispered the rest: "Those four ill-folk need some watch."

Segregate the four ill-dutchmen further--they get to do very menial, easy, and visible duties. My crew gets quartered as a group in a large room each with a healthy-ish dutchman pair. (Inactives take priority--they also go for getting building materials for the smaller ship). The 4 folks get the (second) finest room to themselves!

Perform final checks on the ship and crew--and get myself a darn spear! For fishing of course!

1d20 = 8
???
Luck 18

Alira then waited for the rest of the crew, noting that the small ship would readily be used as scrap--and something they could assemble on board given its size. She waited, and waited, and made herself a nice spear while waiting, getting extra supplies that they could use to assemble the boat and patch up the ship if there came to any issues.

She silently and secretly storing a gunpowder cache trap with the contents of a barrel between the room she slept in and the hall--in the ways that would not damage the ship that officers were privy to know--in case whatever bit those folks came to get her. It would be triggered by any untowards movement, and especially given that she ordered everyone to only alert her by knocking on the door before the hallway, she made sure she was understood.

The last orders for food and shelter were given; they were stowaways on a Dutch ship, but there was nobody else higher ranking than her. Consorting with the rest of the Dutch crew, she plotted a course to commandeer the ship to the nearest neutral nation towards the both of them. The extra sail would come in good use anyway. She made sure to keep a log of the events that transpired, in a way that would not cause untowards mutiny or otherwise to any port officer or superior she came across. And remembered to mark this island on the map, for a journey back...
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17