Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 94

Author Topic: The Left-Hand Path  (Read 112599 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Re: The Left-Hand Path
« Reply #915 on: January 27, 2020, 01:45:33 pm »

It appears that- at least once- this technique was successful and everything from then on was simply trying to replicate it.

This. This here. That's gotta be us.

Current theory: we're somebody else's soul jammed into the body of this "Alexander" fellow. Where's Alexander? I dunno-- but it seems his soul is possessing Piecewise from time to time.

We've got the information we wanted. It's time to get out of here.

+1. It must be us. Also, it is Time To Scoot.

Question: How big a deal do you think it would it be if we took those notes back with us? Esme may have more insight as to the ones that seem to pertain to us. It's an archive, it's not like people are verifying it's contents daily. Someone would probably notice eventually but it's not like they'd notice tonight, or probably even this week. They might even suspect that they're stolen. They'd probably blame clerical error.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #916 on: January 27, 2020, 02:15:35 pm »

It appears that- at least once- this technique was successful and everything from then on was simply trying to replicate it.

Current theory: we're somebody else's soul jammed into the body of this "Alexander" fellow. Where's Alexander? I dunno-- but it seems his soul is possessing Piecewise from time to time.

+1. It must be us. Also, it is Time To Scoot.

Question: How big a deal do you think it would it be if we took those notes back with us? Esme may have more insight as to the ones that seem to pertain to us. It's an archive, it's not like people are verifying it's contents daily. Someone would probably notice eventually but it's not like they'd notice tonight, or probably even this week. They might even suspect that they're stolen. They'd probably blame clerical error.
How big a deal it would be would depend on a variety of things, the biggest being if they know there was a break in.  If they don't realize there was a break in, then chances are that they wouldn't notice for a long time, maybe ever.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #917 on: January 27, 2020, 03:08:12 pm »

I say we take some notes back. Specifically, the ones that pertain to us. Do not take notes for all the other projects, that breadth of missing info would point to a break in or theft.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #918 on: January 27, 2020, 03:57:26 pm »

I say we take some notes back. Specifically, the ones that pertain to us. Do not take notes for all the other projects, that breadth of missing info would point to a break in or theft.

+1.

And "Kell Faber line"? That's probably not referring to a genetic lineage as I thought. It's the ratio that can't be crossed. And we have the Kell ratio.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #919 on: January 27, 2020, 04:02:58 pm »

I bet that mass grave was their attempt to attract a "whale" style creature.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #920 on: January 27, 2020, 04:14:08 pm »

Side note: so it looks like possibly we're some random soul that got put into Kelley's body accidentally. That's got to be hard for Esme. She finds out her friend and revolutionary comrade Kelley resurrected himself and shows up looking for her, except it's just some rando who happens to be in Kelley's body and she has to deliberately not think of soul-Kelley himself when she sees this body. I bet she's miserable every time she looks at us. She could have quite understandably kicked us out as soon as she realized we were basically some imposter, but she didn't. We should really try to get Kelley back for her.

All the more reason to get some Puzzle-box notes back to her.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 04:16:12 pm by Eschar »

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #921 on: January 27, 2020, 04:21:57 pm »

He COULD actually be the bad guy here, you know. If he was as well-versed in Necromancy as Esme indicates, he could have even been the one performing the procedure, or assisting thereof.

What interests me is that the procedure's goal was ostensibly to keep the memories intact, and that it was deemed "successful". If so, where are our memories? We know nothing from before we awoke. Our soul could be anyone from a rando test subject to Alexander his actual self. Are our memories intact, but inaccessible?

What does this say about Piecewise aka The Friendliest Skeleton? Is that the skeleton of the other dude in the experiment? Is it our old Skeleton? Is it Alexander's skeleton? I am all aflutter.

Quickedit: Do we know what kind of anima is inside Piecewise Skellington? Did we check that?

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #922 on: January 28, 2020, 07:08:51 am »

+1

What if it turns out we're the bad guy and we lost our memories?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
« Reply #923 on: January 28, 2020, 07:11:41 am »

We're a necromancer, obviously we're the bad guy.
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #924 on: January 28, 2020, 07:29:06 am »

But what if we turn out to secretly be Ultra Hitler or something, and what if that fact is so secret that its even hidden from us?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #925 on: January 28, 2020, 08:19:54 am »

But what if we turn out to secretly be Ultra Hitler or something, and what if that fact is so secret that its even hidden from us?
Wouldn’t we know if we’re the leader of a military government? If we were the leader, they would act dufferently towards us. We know the government doesn’t like necromancy unless they are the ones doing it. We should get some notes about the 3 projects back to Esme, being sure to not be detected during or after our escape

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #926 on: January 28, 2020, 09:11:19 am »

You forget that we woke up and someone had left Piecewise and a letter that lead us to Esme for us there. So there is obviously another party involved, most likely Kelly. Even if they other party is ourself from the past that lost their memories for some reason (see movies Paycheck and Total Recall). Maybe our memories aren't lost, maybe they're just scrambled from the transfer to another brain. Or maybe they're locked, we know there are other sorts of magic beside necromancy. Or maybe we're just a really good golem animated by a whale made as a decoy.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #927 on: January 28, 2020, 02:20:53 pm »

I hesitate to enter the realm of paranoid conspiracy, but maybe Esme is in on it.

Maybe we are Alexander, and she knows it, and her attempts to help us are attempts to guide us back to remembrance.

All of this is pure unsupported speculation though, and we certainly shouldn't act on any of it until we get more info.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #928 on: January 29, 2020, 01:43:20 pm »

You look through the notes one last time and select the ones you think are the most pertinent. You carefully fold them up and hide them away in you shirt before tidying up the room and putting everything back how you found it, or at least as close as you can remember.  You close the door behind you and skedaddle back to the maintenance closet, careful to shut off any lights you've turned on along the way.  You climb back up into the ceiling and then, with some difficulty, close the ladder and shove it so it lands, propped up against the wall like before.  From there its nothing but two sections of vent work to refit and reattach before you climb back up and out of the vent.

Despite your best efforts to be as quiet as possible, when you exit the roof vent you can hear guards moving about. You immediately press yourself flat against the roof and lay utterly motionless, waiting and listening. You can tell from the bits of conversation you can pick up that they've heard noises from the building and are going to investigate. So far they don't seem to be alarmed, just cautious. They grumble about "Things in the lab" and "Break outs" and not being paid enough. You hear at least one of them open the door to this building, but there seem to be others milling about.

You listen hard. You try to place each individual guard's location via nothing but the sound of their footsteps and voice. There was at least one inside, two by the front door, and two more who seem to be walking the perimeter looking for something.  You consider your options.  You could just wait here for them to lose interest. Chances are they wouldn't check the roof; you don't see any access to it and there's a two foot tall lip running around the edge of the building that should prevent anyone from seeing you unless they're on or above the level of the roof. But waiting might take a while, and you may end up having to either risk daylight maneuvers or waiting till the next night.  You could go when the guards checking the perimeter have walked past; it would be like how you planned to get out, just with a much tighter window of opportunity. You could cause a distraction...you still have the rats with you, could send one of them off to make noises elsewhere...or you could send one out into the open to give the guards a good explanation for the noises they heard.  Of course that assumes none of them can see the threads connecting the rats to you; you remember Esme did mention there are tools that allow non-necromancers to see the anima, these guards may have access to them. Maybe.

You sneak a look at your watch.

Its 4:43. Its going to start getting brighter soon.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #929 on: January 29, 2020, 01:49:50 pm »

We could legit just park ourselves in a vent and sleep until tomorrow night if we wanted to. Make a rat wake us up, etc.

.......Where is Piecewise at?
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 94