Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 94

Author Topic: The Left-Hand Path  (Read 112270 times)

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Left-Hand Path
« Reply #855 on: December 26, 2019, 10:37:35 am »

Maybe we can frame it as an interview about the socioeconomical impact of their employment. You know, have they found any other employment besides the construction work, does the base ever call them back to do additional work, were there any work accidents and if so were the victims and their families compensated? The sort of thing someone studying the history of this place would ask.

We can also show fake interest to various insignificant details about their work and their life (e.g. what sort of material did they use? Was it a health hazard? What was their diet and work hours?) so that if they say something significant about the base we can question them about it without sounding too suspicious.

+1

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: December 26, 2019, 04:14:08 pm »

Order body to take on a form which could maneuver the ventilation ducts.

...Hey, we don't know that we're not a fleshhorror, worth a try right :v
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: December 26, 2019, 04:41:20 pm »

Order body to take on a form which could maneuver the ventilation ducts.

...Hey, we don't know that we're not a fleshhorror, worth a try right :v
We are not a mimic

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: December 26, 2019, 04:44:24 pm »

Prove it.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: December 26, 2019, 04:50:45 pm »

Hmm, you’re right, in Necromancy the character thought the body they woke up in was their own, however I don’t think a mimic would see the anima unless the mimic was also resurrected and decided to get inside of a corpse, possibly to avoid suspicion because if the mimic assumed a living person who is not a necromancer and saw the anima, and if people noticed this, there would be more suspicion than if a resurrected corpse saw the anima

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #860 on: December 27, 2019, 03:47:40 am »

Maybe we can frame it as an interview about the socioeconomical impact of their employment. You know, have they found any other employment besides the construction work, does the base ever call them back to do additional work, were there any work accidents and if so were the victims and their families compensated? The sort of thing someone studying the history of this place would ask.

We can also show fake interest to various insignificant details about their work and their life (e.g. what sort of material did they use? Was it a health hazard? What was their diet and work hours?) so that if they say something significant about the base we can question them about it without sounding too suspicious.

+1
+1
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: December 27, 2019, 12:25:24 pm »

There's another reason a mass grave is odd. This is a facility that studies necromancy, apparently... and as we know from DF, keeping tons of revivable body parts near any source of necromancy is a Really Bad Idea.

Which we might be able to use to our advantage. We can use the grave as a corpse source, implant some with cores, put them back, then have a massive undead invasion rising inside the facility! Of course, that'd pretty much wreck any attempts at stealth, so it would be a last resort made in conjunction with our more reliable plans.

There's also the problem of getting those corpses out and in without being seen, but this grave should be less heavily guarded than the rest of the facility. Is this grave filled in with dirt or is it a landfill/pit sort of thing? If the latter, we can use wisebirds to fly corpses out and corpse-puppets in, both at night.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #862 on: December 27, 2019, 01:03:13 pm »

Oh, also, see about buying some sort of toolbox or crowbar. Or maybe have birdwise steal some tools we could use if buying them would be too suspicious. You know, for breaking into stuff.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2019, 01:24:08 pm by Parisbre56 »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: December 27, 2019, 08:07:32 pm »

That could probably come later, we're not planning on breaking into things on this trip.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #864 on: December 29, 2019, 07:59:51 am »

+1
+1
You go and meet with the workers under your chosen guise and interview them about their time working on the base. They are more than happy to go on long, often recursive rants about the subject and it becomes clear that they were somewhat of local celebrities during that time. They were "In the Know" about the base and its goings on, which for a gossip hungry populace made them everyone's friend. This status vanished after the project was complete and its clear they have a nostalgic fondness for that time. Your interview seems to be playing surrogate to those times.

However, even a deep dive into all of their stories reveals only a few things you didn't know; or at least only a few important or helpful things.  The first is that apparently that mass grave is the result of some sort of "Accident" that occurred at the base years ago. They were brought back in to help dig it; it is really more of a sealed concrete box than a grave and they say it must contain over a hundred men. They can offer little detail as to who these men were or what happened though; they were told nothing and any inquiries were shot down by other staff.

The second point of note is that there is an underground section to the main labs that is not readily accessible. According to the workers, it was partially  built and then walled off and left unfinished. They were told it was due to budget problems.

Finally, they say that the accident has caused a big change at the base; there used to be soldiers coming into town, particularly on weekends, to drink and relax. After the accident though, the place seems to be locked up tight and the only visitors the town gets from the base are occasional officials and odd night patrols who sweep through the town as if searching for something.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: December 29, 2019, 09:08:52 am »

Sounds like something got out and killed a bunch of people, then they lost it.
Maybe we should try looking for this thing at some point in the future.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #866 on: December 29, 2019, 06:42:28 pm »

I say we got all the information we could hope to get, so now it's time for us to actually do the thing and investigate the lab. First of all, we need to plan the route we will take to get there as well as consider alternative escape routes. Second is to actually choose our targets. Based on what we know so far, I'd suggest going through the sewers, finding an opening or creating one with a crowbar or screwdriver or whatever and then making our way to either the lab or that secret underground section. We take piecewise with us for muscle, carry a bunch of rats on us for disposable scouts/distractions and have birdwise on standby nearby. Would something like that work?

Also, I just thought of something: if we're undead would people other necromancers be able to tell we're undead? This could be bad if they can.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: December 29, 2019, 07:06:17 pm »

Yes they can tell. Necromancers can see the threads

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #868 on: December 29, 2019, 07:19:13 pm »

Yes, but do we have (visible) threads? I mean, if we are controlling ourselves...

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #869 on: January 03, 2020, 09:41:41 am »

I say we got all the information we could hope to get, so now it's time for us to actually do the thing and investigate the lab. First of all, we need to plan the route we will take to get there as well as consider alternative escape routes. Second is to actually choose our targets. Based on what we know so far, I'd suggest going through the sewers, finding an opening or creating one with a crowbar or screwdriver or whatever and then making our way to either the lab or that secret underground section. We take piecewise with us for muscle, carry a bunch of rats on us for disposable scouts/distractions and have birdwise on standby nearby. Would something like that work?

Also, I just thought of something: if we're undead would people other necromancers be able to tell we're undead? This could be bad if they can.
You see no sign of being undead in the mirror. You have no circular thread, and you even have what looks to be a normal connection to the anima, just like everyone else. They could tell if they touched you though; because you're physically clearly not alive.

You start tracing paths on the map, moving the pencil tip slowly through pipes and between buildings, planning a path. Piecewise coming with you is somewhat of a detriment, at least when it comes to moving through the sewers. Unmodified he was flexible but built up as he is, he's rather bulky. You do a quick measurement of his shoulders and then scratch off any route that his girth precludes. After going through each possible route, tallying up things like possible escape routes and guard paths intersected, you believe you've come up with the best route. The one you've selected starts to the side of the base, at a drainage pipe. You'll need some way to cut off the grate that blocks its end, but from there you can crawl up it to a nexus of pipes and then climb a ladder up to a maintenence access point. From there you're just one patrol path away from either of your destinations.

Escape routes are always a bit harder; obviously the major one is the way you got in, but you also make sure to memorize secondary routes as well as "Fuck it, I'm running" ways out for if things get really out of hand. Once all this is written out on the map it is quite a mess of arrows, and scribbled routes, but you commit the entire thing to memory regardless.

The route is planned, all thats left now is to actually do it. You think you should head into the woods before sunset, so that you can get into position and then move into the base whenever you think it best. You wonder about what equipment you should bring and, looking down at yourself, how you should dress. A disguise? Armor?

Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 94