Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 94

Author Topic: The Left-Hand Path  (Read 112288 times)

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Left-Hand Path
« Reply #1260 on: May 29, 2020, 07:54:57 am »

Does swap power work only on dead thing.
swaping only works in bodies we’ve animated, so no, it doesn’t work on living things

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
« Reply #1261 on: May 29, 2020, 07:56:30 am »

There is a third category beyond "living" and "dead", you know.
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #1262 on: May 29, 2020, 07:57:55 am »

Look don't bring the vampires into this

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1263 on: May 29, 2020, 07:59:32 am »

yes, undead, aka. Animated corpses, which our swapping works on. I doubt we can swap to things that haven’t been killed yet, which is what I meant by “living”

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1264 on: May 29, 2020, 08:12:13 am »

No, it works on previously animated undead, not currently animate undead. We couldn't transfer ourselves to Piecewise. You could say it works on those that have been redeadened. :P

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1265 on: May 29, 2020, 08:20:44 am »

yes, undead, aka. Animated corpses, which our swapping works on. I doubt we can swap to things that haven’t been killed yet, which is what I meant by “living”
Inanimate objects are neither living nor dead, and we are fully capable of animating them. Remember the paper golem we made? We don't know if we can transfer ourself into a golem, or only corpses. If golems work, then we have a lot more freedom in how we can manifest. We could leave a gauntlet somewhere and hop into it to write down a message. We could be a paper airplane or paperwork or a trash can.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1266 on: May 30, 2020, 01:31:15 am »

I thought you were talking about someone that was asleep or in a coma when you said "There is a third category beyond living and dead".
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1267 on: May 30, 2020, 09:17:09 am »

If they’re asleep/in a coma, their organs are still working, so they’d still be living

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1268 on: May 30, 2020, 09:22:42 am »

Just because they're still alive doesn't mean we can't try to take their sleeping body for a walk.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1269 on: June 01, 2020, 10:43:34 am »

Shrug our hawky wings.
Hey! Just because we can change bodies doesn't mean we wanna give this one up!

For one, it's the body we woke up in, it's helped us stay "us" and define what "us" is. It would be useful as an anchor, something stable we can go back to. And maybe we've grown attached to it and think of it as part of our identity, such as it is.

Second, we've had memories Esme while in that body. We don't know if the memories are hidden in our body or if they originate from that body.

And third, this body is high quality and has not started rooting, smelling, locking up or otherwise degrading. Maybe whatever happened in that bathtub full of blood helps preserve it. Maybe it's chemically treated. Maybe there's a spell on it that helps keep it safe. Or maybe it's our presence that helps keep it fresh. Until we can do an autopsy on it or something to confirm our deny that, we should keep it.
(We should also try Empiricist's idea and see if we can order this body to restart its biological processes, or at least a mimickry of them. It would be quite useful, not to mention interesting.)

Of course, I understand that this body has some "heat" in the sense that it's been seen by others and participated in illegal activities, but we can always deal with that by hiding it in a basement or some cabin deep in the woods.
You tell Esme you're not sure, but all things considered you'd like to keep that body as your "Main", only using the others as temporary vessels.  She nods.

"You'd know more about this than me, even if its just feelings. What we should do then is get you a secure location to project from. You-know-where, the place you stayed for a while earlier, is probably fine for now. You should come back, we can work on the plan to see that prisoner. Maybe start preparing you a series of bodies to use."

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1270 on: June 01, 2020, 10:49:14 am »

Any plan that involves a lot of body swapping, particularly at long range, will probably use up a lot of mana. And I'm not sure if we generate it on our own, do we? Is Esme willing to keep us charged up?

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1271 on: June 01, 2020, 10:52:58 am »

We can hop back to our human body and check our ring as we walk our human body back to the library

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1272 on: June 01, 2020, 02:06:38 pm »

We know we can absorb memories while in another body, so we can use that to replenish Mana.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1273 on: June 02, 2020, 01:50:47 am »

Looks like we're going to be body hopping for the rest of the game.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1274 on: June 04, 2020, 09:53:15 am »

Any plan that involves a lot of body swapping, particularly at long range, will probably use up a lot of mana. And I'm not sure if we generate it on our own, do we? Is Esme willing to keep us charged up?
We can hop back to our human body and check our ring as we walk our human body back to the library
You carefully park your hawk body and then leap back into your normal vessel, awakening where you left yourself. You check your ring. Still mostly full, so it seems like mana is only drained when you leap, not to maintain the connection. Useful. 

You return to the library, heading in through the back, and find Esme arranging your hawk body in the prepared specimen area along with the three skeletons of the soldiers. You tell her that these jumps take mana and ask if she's be willing or able to keep you topped up if required.  She says she will, if its needed.

"I've been looking at the various poisons available to us for this whole prison thing. I think we might actually be better off with an anesthetic. Most poisons are not exactly subtle, but with a heavy overdose of anesthetic they have a much better chance of simply going unconscious and dying, as opposed to vomiting and convulsing and dying over minutes or hours.  If you can get one while they're sleeping, it might be effectively seamless to kill and animate them; like they went to bed one night and woke up the next day as usual. Then you get your talking done and dispose of the body. Maybe make it look like they fell off the roof or something. Just nothing immediately obvious otherwise they'll probably wonder why the body is already cold immediately after death."
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 94