Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 16

Author Topic: The Steam forum is already toxic (I love Bay12)  (Read 38444 times)

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
Re: The Steam forum is already toxic (I love Bay12)
« Reply #120 on: March 29, 2019, 12:02:53 am »

"I've never played, but from the three PCGamer articles I skimmed over the past decade. . .."

This is the tweet they are mad over.
https://imgur.com/a/2Dpcc69

And no one is posting it alongside their complaints they ckeep saying *redacted* because once anyone reads that they will see how silly the outrage is.
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: March 29, 2019, 12:05:57 am »

"I've never played, but from the three PCGamer articles I skimmed over the past decade. . .."

And no one is posting it alongside their complaints they ckeep saying *redacted* because once anyone reads that they will see how silly the outrage is.
Well, someone who got blocked on Twitter seemed very much not to be raging. But outrage always builds; things like this can draw an outraged mob regardless of any issues with the actual potential addition.

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 29, 2019, 12:07:00 am »

It's not specifically that tweet, Twitter drama channels picked it up and said that Toady was being forced to "add tranny dwarves" due to Kitfox and slow development over it, and that it was a political statement that you weren't allowed to discuss. Because Twitter e-activists are retards who want a short dopamine high in exchange for embarrassing themselves, most seem to have not read Toady's tweet and are going entirely off of word of mouth.

Here's one example, though I imagine there's more because people (non-players) interested in the Steam release in some communities I'm in have come and asked me if it's true that Toady is "censoring".

« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 12:15:53 am by George_Chickens »
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 29, 2019, 12:20:57 am »

Its so silly that some of them are like  "why add this when you coudl improve the UI" its like they don't even comprehend what dwarf fortress is. Toady doesn't care about that stuff he just wants simulationism and is doing what he always has done.
Even that misses the point.

"Improving the UI" is a big job that really needs other things done before any proper effort (not counting minor tweaks that might not get undone or made irrelevent as future features arrive). The improvement of the UI does not particularly require the adding of intersex/transexual entities, but also is not required for their adding.

Adding I/T entities was always a job left awaiting tweaks to the inter-entity references in the likes of generated conversation and thoughts (that having no extra UI needs, but internal memory and procgen stacks), plus RAW support for - presumably - cross-caste value inheritances, a likelihood/incidence value (that could be easily set to zero where absolutely not desired!) and various other things that are also not exclusive to this particular implementation. Even if this particular subset of broad changes are the exact prerequisites for this example that had been specifically enquired about.

TL;DR; Toady's doing his thing. The UI is not high enough on his list for some people, and other people are disproportionately invested in the presence/absence of a feature that is an incidental and partial driver for features that are higher. Drama ensues as (contrived?) outrage meets more eager opinions to which the outrage decides it is opposed.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 12:22:45 am by Starver »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 29, 2019, 12:21:55 am »

It's not specifically that tweet, Twitter drama channels picked it up and said that Toady was being forced to "add tranny dwarves" due to Kitfox and slow development over it. Because Twitter e-activists are retards who want a short dopamine high in exchange for embarrassing themselves, most seem to have not read Toady's tweet and are going entirely off of word of mouth.
It'd be a real shame if this ends up making Toady more guarded about Q&As in the future. There was a nice non-bigoted Q&A with Toady in Future of the Fortress a while back, in a more innocent pre-Steam age, in which he mentioned the pronouns issue preventing implementation of real mollusk people (was it mollusks? Snails? Perhaps plump helmets, I forget). And it seemed like the most natural thing in the world to be talking about.

Mention that anywhere now though and it's all, "Against the Lore of Dwarves!!" and "Unrealistic fantasy people!". Amongst other more vulgar ravings. While the voices trying to explain that DF is a world simulator due to feature randomly generated teleporting pixies with exposed brains in place of dwarves some time in the future, are drowned out.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 12:24:17 am by Shonai_Dweller »

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: March 29, 2019, 12:29:54 am »

Mention that anywhere now though and it's all, "Against the Lore of Dwarves!!" and "Unrealistic fantasy people!". Amongst other more vulgar ravings. While the voices trying to explain that DF is a world simulator due to feature randomly generated teleporting pixies with exposed brains in place of dwarves some time in the future, are drowned out.
I mostly subscribe to Pratchettian dwarf-lore, which is different from the Tolkienesque one, and separate again from the Disney one, and probably any other version you could quote. DF is different from all these, even if it shares some elements to various combinations of these.

There are no Hobbits in (vanilla) DF, which is one clue of several that this isn't a Middle Earth simulator. Be outraged about that, then get shown a Halfling-adding mod/raw-editor, maybe.

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #126 on: March 29, 2019, 12:36:23 am »

It's not specifically that tweet, Twitter drama channels picked it up and said that Toady was being forced to "add tranny dwarves" due to Kitfox and slow development over it. Because Twitter e-activists are retards who want a short dopamine high in exchange for embarrassing themselves, most seem to have not read Toady's tweet and are going entirely off of word of mouth.
It'd be a real shame if this ends up making Toady more guarded about Q&As in the future. There was a nice non-bigoted Q&A with Toady in Future of the Fortress a while back, in a more innocent pre-Steam age, in which he mentioned the pronouns issue preventing implementation of real mollusk people (was it mollusks? Snails? Perhaps plump helmets, I forget). And it seemed like the most natural thing in the world to be talking about.

Toady is super careful and guarded i think this does mean he wont do QandAs like that again. I can almost guarentee it. He wont take any chances with this kind of magma so to speak.

Of course i cant speak for the guy, so maybe im wrong. Maybe my brain is blowing this all out of proportion.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 12:40:25 am by Untrustedlife »
I am an indie game dev!

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 29, 2019, 01:06:33 am »

I mostly subscribe to Pratchettian dwarf-lore, which is different from the Tolkienesque one, and separate again from the Disney one, and probably any other version you could quote. DF is different from all these, even if it shares some elements to various combinations of these.

There are no Hobbits in (vanilla) DF, which is one clue of several that this isn't a Middle Earth simulator. Be outraged about that, then get shown a Halfling-adding mod/raw-editor, maybe.
My mod has hobbits.
Evil things that crawled from the depths of the ocean in a time before time and took the form of merry chesemakers. Beware their bloated (hairy) feet! They plot the downfall of the world's civilized nations through unicorn cheese addiction. Canon? Tough. I prefer imagination.

Anyhow. Storm in a teacup. Hopefully.

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #128 on: March 29, 2019, 01:16:28 am »

My mod has hobbits.
Evil things that crawled from the depths of the ocean in a time before time and took the form of merry chesemakers. Beware their bloated (hairy) feet! They plot the downfall of the world's civilized nations through unicorn cheese addiction. Canon? Tough. I prefer imagination.

My old mod had hobbits with hairy feet but i called them halflings and they were based off the ones from the game overlord.
I am an indie game dev!

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 29, 2019, 01:22:14 am »

My mod has hobbits.

My old mod had hobbits with hairy feet but i called them halflings and they were based off the ones from the game overlord.
You know you've made it in modding when your halflings have several varieties of foot-hair stylings.  :)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: March 29, 2019, 01:38:45 am »

What the hell am I reading?  People think toady doesn't WANT to add more variety in how dwarves interact?  Have they not been paying attention for the past 15 years?

The real issue is that there is a presumed "position!" that certain demographics feel the whole world holds, and they rage from their soapbox without even looking before they flame.   

It's a recurring thread in modern "awareness!!" demographics I find disfavorable.  They defame the very people that are actively writing a new cultural narrative that is inclusive, and do so ignorantly, and loudly, because they have either been taught that everyone is against them (and so they feel no need to look before they flame) or because they are too emotionally immature to be reasonable.  In either case, it makes me want to tune them out.  HARD.

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #131 on: March 29, 2019, 01:39:41 am »

It's not specifically that tweet, Twitter drama channels picked it up and said that Toady was being forced to "add tranny dwarves" due to Kitfox and slow development over it, and that it was a political statement that you weren't allowed to discuss. Because Twitter e-activists are retards who want a short dopamine high in exchange for embarrassing themselves, most seem to have not read Toady's tweet and are going entirely off of word of mouth.

Here's one example, though I imagine there's more because people (non-players) interested in the Steam release in some communities I'm in have come and asked me if it's true that Toady is "censoring".
(Heres one more example. (This is the thread that angered me the most lol, i know i shouldnt have even bothered responding to some of the claims there but in my deluded rage i did)

My mod has hobbits.

You know you've made it in modding when your halflings have several varieties of foot-hair stylings.  :)

I believe they did have multiple styles in my mod. If i recall correctly i did even more with it then that though. Nowadays it would be great to redo it. Eg i could remake it but give halflings a propensity towards gluttony like in the overlord game and such, it might be cool. I could also do my overlord tower now by recruiting a bunch of minions (or creating them from corpses) (which would be better) and other crazy things. 
I am an indie game dev!

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: March 29, 2019, 02:06:11 am »

Looks like other Bay12ers and actual DF players have joined in to start making fun of the dramamongerers and dispel the bullshit being said. I think this is on the verge of blowing over now.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: March 29, 2019, 02:22:31 am »

I'm surprised it did not spill over to Bay12.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

clinodev

• Bay Watcher
  • Embark Profile Enthusiast, Kitfox & reddit mod.
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: March 29, 2019, 03:16:16 am »

[tweet imgur link]

Alas I'm well aware that's what they're upset about now (I mod the /r/dwarffortress subreddit, for my sins, apparently, and I wouldn't even be mad if this comment got removed if I showed you some of my modmail screenshots over that tweet,) but this thread of course predates that tweet and the Steam forum was already nonsense.

It's a shame that apparently you can't turn off a Steam forum, even for a non-existing game.
Team Bug Fix!
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 16