Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

Author Topic: Steam Official Announcement Thread (0.47.04 Edition!)  (Read 23389 times)

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Steam Official Announcement Thread (0.47.04 Edition!)
« Reply #90 on: September 12, 2020, 05:16:06 pm »

In case anyone missed it completely.  ::)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGcvmgxmpEg

clinodev

• Bay Watcher
  • Embark Profile Enthusiast, Kitfox & reddit mod.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 13, 2020, 05:26:56 am »

It's also still up with /4 of the comments on Twitch, starting at 1:14 (I can't seem to figure out how to do a Twitch timestamp.)

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/739163545

clinodev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 22, 2020, 03:15:38 pm »

Steam Community Update 22 September 2020: "Video Dev Log! Gameplay, Menus, Zones"

https://steamcommunity.com/games/975370/announcements/detail/2880571683990778448

Full text:

Video Dev Log! Gameplay, Menus, Zones
Hello!

Victoria here from Kitfox Games. Dropping in to let you know that we just uploaded an Autumn Dev Update that shows all the things Tarn and the team have been working on -- with gameplay! This includes items we've previously discussed before like the new menus and zones, but now you can see it in action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYS-kNvgXR8

This video update is in lieu of the usual text update you'd normally get on Thursday. But things will continue like normal after this. :)

Also if you missed it, Tarn was on Rock Paper Shotgun to play Dwarf Fortress with Nate Crowley, the author of the run longing series The Basement of Curiousity. You can see that here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIGk_BrGwy0

That's all from me! Hope you enjoy the update.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 08, 2020, 01:36:36 pm »

Steam Community Update 8 October 2020: "Representing dwarves graphically ⚒️"

https://steamcommunity.com/games/975370/announcements/detail/2891832587105130224

Full text:

Representing dwarves graphically ⚒️

Hey!

This time around, we'll take a look at where we are with representing dwarves graphical on the screen. Keep in mind these are still WIP, but we decided it was at a showable stage.

Back in ASCII land, dwarves were little smiley faces, with fewer pixels than the average emoji. Now, here's a fisherdwarf:

A neatly combed beard, some styled hair back there, and the blue clothing of a fisherdwarf. This is in the basic profession=clothing display mode. You can still see the actual clothing the dwarves are wearing, but it is recolored based on their job, so you can easily spot them. This one has gloves and a dress; each dwarven civilization generated by the game chooses different preferred clothing types as well as hair styles (on top of a ton of other information.) Typically, they'll have a variety of options, and you order them up to be made in the workshops once you have a leather, silk, wool, or plant-based fabric industry going.

This stoneworker for instance, has stuck with the same basic fashion plan clothing-wise, in stoneworker-white, but has shaved her head.

There are of course other ways to display dwarves, and other preferences that can vary even with the same player based on what they are doing. At the bare minimum, you'll also be able to see the items in their actual colors. This makes the fort look more drab, especially before you start up your dye industry or trade, but sometimes you don't want to see the profession colors when looking at your dwarves dance in the tavern. Also generally expect a lot of this to be updated as we see other screenshots in the future. These are the most important graphics in the game, in some ways, and they'll receive a lot of iterations.

There's also the question of the military dwarves. Here are variously dressed dwarves I set up in the arena mode, where you can outfit anybody and then watch them fight (or take control of one of the creatures yourself.)

We have some fully geared-up dwarves, in bronze, with and without helmets at the top.

Their beard-style is similar because dwarves and everybody else in arena mode don't have a civilization and so just kind of let it all grow wild, ha ha. At the bottom, we have a hooded cloak and face veil with iron mail, and on the lower right, a mask and headscarf combo with a tunic, skirt and a steel-tipped spear.

Although we haven't focused on the following mode *at all* yet, we can also check out the new dwarves in adventure mode.

I went ahead and made a dwarven character to play in this (very odd) RPG. Historically in this particular world, a bunch of dwarves have emigrated over to the nearby human villages, so I decided to start there, because I wanted the humans' iron meat cleaver for my look, ha ha. So I'm the one with a meat cleaver in the image, as you might expect. I have a leather vest, and leather trousers and boots.

Ah, and that's my pet black bear Bolli on the left. And another dwarf lives here in this starting dirt-floored cabin, also a head-shaver, but her dress is dyed that color (her purple gloves are another story - still a work in progress!) On the right is a human. I mean, what humans look like now, before they also receive this treatment!

- Tarn

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 08, 2020, 05:14:47 pm »

Options. Excellent!
Was worried with all this lobbying for "Dwarf clothing must be shown in its true colours" that the actual game had somehow been forgotten. Two modes for colours sounds good.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • Never stabs friends, promise!
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 08, 2020, 06:06:19 pm »

I love the default sprite creature. It is so disappointed with it's life.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Pillbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 09, 2020, 11:43:51 am »

I love the default sprite creature. It is so disappointed with it's life.

I want a mod for them as a pessimistic cavern society.

clinodev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 22, 2020, 03:03:58 pm »

Steam Community Update 22 October 2020: "Dwarven storage solutions ⚒️"

https://steamcommunity.com/games/975370/announcements/detail/2930114451182913856

Full text:

Hello again!

As we continue the work adding graphics to replace all of the text characters, the work on menu updates continues as well. Most recently, I updated the process for setting up stockpiles. Like the activity zones from before, stockpiles used to be placed by keyboard presses and couldn't be redrawn. Now we can paint stockpiles with the mouse, using rectangles or free painting, as with zones, and also resize them freely.

Dwarves use stockpiles to get items out from the mines, workshops and the trade depot and into more useful locations. Most typically, you'll want to set a type for the stockpile to tell the dwarves what kind of things you want to store there. In this example, I've created an armor stockpile.

The extra commands there allow you to rename the stockpile, repaint the stockpile, get rid of it entirely, or set up how its links work. Links tell a stockpile where to get its supplies and how to send them down the line. You don't have to set links up at all, but as your fort grows, you might find you want to do so to improve the flow of resources and products.

Stockpiles can be set to accept items from absolutely anywhere, or only from designated donor stockpiles and workshops. A stockpile can also designate which workshops and stockpiles it'd like to give its items to in turn. Here I've set the armor stockpile to accept armor from the nearby metalsmith's forge. Of course, in practice, the items from that forge would go to that pile anyway, since it is so close.

You aren't limited to the basic categories listed. Stockpiles accept a lot of customization:

This pile has been set to accept only bronze armor, for example. Not just that, but it'll only accept bronze armor which can be worn by dwarves. If the armor with the X at the top is turned on, it would also accept bronze armor for humans, which might show up in an invasion. This allows you to separate out junk, for example, so you can melt it down more easily. Note also that you can rule objects in and out by type, by quality, and so on. The text filter is new for the Steam version - the old lists weren't even alphabetized, ha ha.

Veteran players will notice a few missing options - the ability to reserve bins and barrels, for example, and a way to copy custom settings. These are all in the works.

- Tarn
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]