Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 57

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead  (Read 116118 times)

duckman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #300 on: February 28, 2020, 12:24:25 am »

Bows have had 850+ dispersion since January. Standard arbitrary change from a standard arbitrary person.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: February 28, 2020, 01:16:36 am »

I no longer have context for that number.  Sounds high, but may not be?

Interestingly enough, I happen to have used a bow for a few months.  Not a great shot or anything, but could hit something maybe 15 meters away.  Sometimes.  It definitely takes practice.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: February 28, 2020, 01:25:10 am »

Bows were changed to have a comparable range to pistols and shotguns as opposed to high end rifles. We don't have a very granular range system since we're limited by the reality bubble, so the choices are basically "pistolish" or "riflish", and any number of sources could tell you which to go with.

The archery PR waiting merge actually would up being a pretty significant buff to bows in most regards.
'River' cancels eat: Food is problematic.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: February 28, 2020, 01:58:22 am »

Problem with dispersion is it is VERY fucky, and VERY hard to tell how much dispersion is enough for a given range. The shorter the intended max range, the more dispersion is needed, so that plays merry hell with figuring out how to balance things.

Also Erk, I was wondering. Is the in-repo version of Ultica now the most up-to-date version, or do you still have a repo of it that's more complete?
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

duckman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: February 28, 2020, 04:08:02 am »

I no longer have context for that number.  Sounds high, but may not be?

Interestingly enough, I happen to have used a bow for a few months.  Not a great shot or anything, but could hit something maybe 15 meters away.  Sometimes.  It definitely takes practice.
As Random_Dragon said, the effects of dispersion are relative to maximum range. If my estimates are correct, the current values make most bows less accurate than the 12 gauge pistol and blunderbuss, the two least accurate weapons in the game prior to this change.

IonMatrix

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUTAGEN_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: February 28, 2020, 09:21:21 am »

Wait, WHAT?! But most of my characters are archery builds!
"Mutagen"! Such a lovely word! I simply MUST have more mutagen!

*sigh* I can't believe I play this game...

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: February 28, 2020, 09:37:00 am »

I've played archers more recently than January and not found bows anywhere near that inaccurate. We got the number by testing hit rates at various distances to find the desired value. It should work just fine.
'River' cancels eat: Food is problematic.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: February 28, 2020, 10:20:44 am »

I'm playing the experimental after a longer hiatus with the game and, man, the cars feel nigh-indestructible now. A simple security van can plough through whole cities of zombies without even dislocating a headlight.
Also, stimulants seem useless.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: February 28, 2020, 02:12:49 pm »

I'm playing the experimental after a longer hiatus with the game and, man, the cars feel nigh-indestructible now. A simple security van can plough through whole cities of zombies without even dislocating a headlight.
Also, stimulants seem useless.

Snort cars, drive coke.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

duckman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: February 28, 2020, 02:47:24 pm »

I've played archers more recently than January and not found bows anywhere near that inaccurate. We got the number by testing hit rates at various distances to find the desired value. It should work just fine.
Has anyone tested the 12 gauge pistol and blunderbuss to see if they're more accurate than they should be then? Because the numbers all indicate that they're the most comparable to bows in accuracy.

A 12 gauge pistol with slugs is 1000 dispersion and 24 range, which should be comparable to a longbow with carbon fiber arrows at 1050 dispersion and 22 range.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: February 28, 2020, 04:25:21 pm »

remember when just using 2 ankle holsters with 12 gauge pistols were basically get out of jail free cards?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #311 on: February 28, 2020, 09:19:55 pm »

Something i'm surprised hasn't been considered for archetyping projectile capabilities at range: the speed of projectile, or specifically the effective drop to distance.
Considering the relative flatness of the projectile arc, having a flatter arc would mean you'd have to adjust your aim based on how far the target is from you, with this adjustment becoming more difficult and important at farther distances.
Given that, you'd have an extra factor that's based off of real-life valuations (velocity of projectile versus coefficient of drag) that would be more effective at making distant-shots more difficult on an arbitrary metric, rather than fiddling with something as massively-dependent-on-scaling as raw dispersion.
This would bring the maximum-usable range of a couple of projectiles up as well, and make actually using them at those ranges heavily dependent on having useful sights for the task, and being skilled enough to do that kind of elevated aiming.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: February 29, 2020, 02:56:28 pm »

adjust_for_focus is called in player::practice, where most skill training is done, so it affects everything, not just reading and spellcasting.

Hopefully the point system will be gone after 0.E, it isn't all that great for making believeable characters.

I assume that means that intelligence factors into all skill learning then.  Good to know.

I'm wondering if the point system will be replaced with a trait system.  I always feel awkward when my character doesn't have at least one trait.

anothersimulacrum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: February 29, 2020, 10:05:54 pm »

Yeah, it does, should have been more clear.

One thing that's been proposed for chargen is this , which I think is quite interesting.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: March 02, 2020, 08:05:19 am »

That looks pointless. There's already a freeform option for chargen.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 57