Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 57

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead  (Read 116110 times)

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #405 on: March 22, 2020, 06:52:06 pm »

So I just tried the new canning and the canned fruit is grey (the color of non-perishable food) but the description says 1 week until it rots. Is that 1 week after opening? Or is it rotten if I open it 1 week from now?

EDIT: And while I'm at it, I've begun mass producing alcohol for diesel and chems. However it seems like I will have to chop and down burn entire forests to do this. What is the best fire source? Burning logs, wood scraps? Making a alcohol powered stove? Charcoal?

Also also, how do batteries work? Some say disposable, some don't, but I can't hand crank the non-disposable ones. How do I refill them?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 08:35:23 pm by Micro102 »

duckman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: March 22, 2020, 08:56:14 pm »

So I just tried the new canning and the canned fruit is grey (the color of non-perishable food) but the description says 1 week until it rots. Is that 1 week after opening? Or is it rotten if I open it 1 week from now?

EDIT: And while I'm at it, I've begun mass producing alcohol for diesel and chems. However it seems like I will have to chop and down burn entire forests to do this. What is the best fire source? Burning logs, wood scraps? Making a alcohol powered stove? Charcoal?

Also also, how do batteries work? Some say disposable, some don't, but I can't hand crank the non-disposable ones. How do I refill them?
Once its in the can, it's good until you open it.

For fire/heat sources, look for solar powered vehicles and a vehicle mounted kitchen or chemistry set. A Luxury RV or Tour Bus are pretty much the perfect starter vehicles until you're skilled enough to start putting together a mega-vehicle.

You need to load the charger with the battery you want to charge. Then you activate the charger and wait while it literally kills you with exhaustion if the battery is too big.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: March 22, 2020, 09:25:29 pm »

What is this canning you speak of? I only smoke my fruits and shit :P

mainly cuz materials to can shit is better used holding booze and/or pine needle tea :P

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

anothersimulacrum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: March 22, 2020, 10:03:10 pm »

0.E is coming real soon now, so if you're able, you should check out the newest build(s) and try to find any issues.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: March 23, 2020, 12:23:26 am »

Tin cans can be used fer canning Ice, and arent the best fer yer tea. Nasty aftertaste.  :P
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: March 23, 2020, 03:38:52 pm »

0.E is coming real soon now, so if you're able, you should check out the newest build(s) and try to find any issues.

Ok, I've let my February survivors perish in the Recycle Bin, and am now welcoming the March survivors onto my laptop.  I was just about to play around with Faction Camps anyways, so might as well have the most current one.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: March 23, 2020, 04:10:24 pm »

I'm quite confused. I filled up my new truck with diesel and drove it over, but upon trying to fill it up further I get the message "you don't have the necessary items at hand". I have 2 jerrycans full of diesel. I have a rubber hose. The only thing I can think of is that maybe you can't mix diesel and biodiesel? Is that a thing? If so, how do i fix this? I'll edit some code if I have to.

EDIT: It's absolutely not being able to mix diesel and biodiesel.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 04:12:33 pm by Micro102 »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: March 23, 2020, 06:12:15 pm »

I'm quite confused. I filled up my new truck with diesel and drove it over, but upon trying to fill it up further I get the message "you don't have the necessary items at hand". I have 2 jerrycans full of diesel. I have a rubber hose. The only thing I can think of is that maybe you can't mix diesel and biodiesel? Is that a thing? If so, how do i fix this? I'll edit some code if I have to.

EDIT: It's absolutely not being able to mix diesel and biodiesel.

Can they be mixed in real life?  While they both run an engine, I'm not sure they would mix right, as they're different substances.  But hey, what do I know, I'm not a car guy.

Mechanically, I don't think the game can process two different substances in the same container.  In cases where it should be possible in real life, the game usually compensates with a recipe that mixes the two into a "new" substance.  For example, you can't put both Rum and Cola in the same container, as the game tracks liquids via container.  So the game has a third liquid: Rum&Cola, craftable under Food with cooking 1.  Actual in game example (although the game calls the cola "dark cola", unlike that Russian white cola I guess).

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: March 23, 2020, 08:07:41 pm »

Good point. I actually googled it and it seems like they can't be mixed easily. I just assumed that it was like ethanol fuel and gasoline. Cars that run on ethanol can blend them easily.

Now for a new question. I've noticed how my character prefers to use counters when crafting, and that there is a workbench item. Do you craft faster on these things? Like workbench > counter > floor?

EDIT: Another question. Is it possible to build a garage door where I can activate a winch to open and close the entire thing? I want that.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 08:18:22 pm by Micro102 »

anothersimulacrum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: March 23, 2020, 08:51:51 pm »

Yeah, the various surfaces have different speed multipliers. Workbench is the fastest, so you'll want to use that whenever possible.

You can't build a garage door, but you can build a palisade gate, which works the same way.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #415 on: March 23, 2020, 09:02:56 pm »

I don't think I've ever seen a mix of Biodiesel/Diesel in a normal Diesel pump that was above 10%, and usually 0%.
Whereas E10 is way more prevalent than E0, and E85 is also very common.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: March 24, 2020, 01:39:03 pm »

Bug of the day: NO_CRAFT_INHERIT just flat-out doesn't actually work.

Side note, mutagen would make sense to have this flag given the processing involved, but it only has NUTRIENT_OVERRIDE. The fact that the flag exists but isn't used in any vanilla items is likely to blame for it having ceased functioning.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: March 25, 2020, 12:51:20 am »

I started a new "churl stuck in the wild living off the land" type of game, and noticed a couple of weird changes in mechanics compared to my other save file other than the infinite hordes of triffids and fungaloids that find me no matter where I go.

One is a fire constantly going out. It's not raining, and I've tried a whole assortment of wood sources. Splintered, log, sticks, tinder. It goes out before I can finish even one clean water. I solved it with a fire ring but fires seem to last much longer in my other world when i just knock a tree down and light it on fire to make clean water.

The second is the unloading of containers. Unless I'm misremembering, (U)nloading should give you the option to store the liquid somewhere else, or dump it, or stop unloading, right? For some reason, it automatically dumps it on the ground. I have a an empty container ready but it just empties it on the floor. Any ideas?

As for world changes, I severely reduced the city size and increased the distance between them. Don't see why this would affect it.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: March 25, 2020, 09:54:23 am »

from my experience playing a naked and afraid on the woods scenario. Fire lasts longer if your churn lots of fuel on it, in addition to the Fire Ring the Makeshift Shelter (and i guess the leaning tree shelter too) seem to help protect the ring from the rain when built right next to it. i survived my nights naked by gathering a lot of long sticks and dumping them on the fire so they would keep burning to the next day while keeping the temperature stable enough to sleep without dying from cold.

also now that someone mentioned having his survivors in the recycle bin. has someone tried living out of a garbage container? it seems we dont have many large containers as shelter in the game. there's some craftables like the pillow fort or the cardboard box but no freighter containers or giant logs of wood (this is new england of course but imagine the log of a giant sequoia being used as hideout).

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: March 25, 2020, 03:36:25 pm »

Logs work well as fuel.  They can even be burned multiple times as of the last time I played.  Sticks and 2x4s will burn inefficiently, unless youre gaming the light/cooking mechanic on purpose.  In which case the small tinder sticks work best.  I used to Early Game urban survival as opposed to wilderness, but I imagine there is some small crossover.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 57