Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 459

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 423796 times)

coalboat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Untamed Virus Containment Thread: SARS-Cov-2: SARS Harder
« Reply #405 on: February 29, 2020, 07:25:49 am »

In several Russian cities the police are arresting Chinese students and send them back to China with a 5 year restriction of re-entering Russia.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: February 29, 2020, 10:17:44 am »

The hospital of Qom, the city where the virus outbreak in Iran started, is so full that there is no room for new patients.
:
According to the Iranian government, there are 38 dead and 388 infected.

So every single infected person in Iran is at that single hospital? Or is every person who has a sniffle going to the hospital?  Or was the hospital already at like 95% capacity so had no margin in the first place?  More data required...

(Although, that said, I'm gonna guess that hospitals like to be close to capacity to maximize that revenue... at least in the US.  I dunno about other countries.  If it were up to me I would treat spare hospital capacity as a strategic resource.)

coalboat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: February 29, 2020, 10:30:32 am »

It's "the hospitals in the city Qom". The same situation began to happen in Wuhan since February.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: February 29, 2020, 10:33:12 am »

One of the few upsides is that CO2 emissions are down quite a bit.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/26/climate/nyt-climate-newsletter-coronavirus.html
Coronavirus will save the planet!

Anyway, sorry for lack of links but: the virus has spread to my state due to a french couple that had been to Catalonia previously. They went to the hospital so you'd think the news would end there but... the two of them decided that, and this is after they were confirmed infected, they wanted to leave the hospital at any cost. And boy they tried so much that a judge had to issue an order to forcibly keep them in said hospital, where they currently are in isolation.
Doing a little update on this: turns out the two frenchfolk? It was a false positive (t'was influenza) and they wasted everyone's time by panicking instead of just waiting for the second test.

Anyway, disease is spreading here. Got some cases in my city and facemasks and alcohol gel are out of stock everywhere. There've been reports by journalists about fuckers going into pharmacies and literally buying their whole stock of alcohol.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and Bolsonaro's fashies are now spreading rumours that Coronavirus was intentionally spread in Brazil by the "leftpaths" (leftie + psycopath), as they love to call us, to undermine their antidemocratic protests ('cuz that's a thing that's actually going on).
« Last Edit: February 29, 2020, 10:35:20 am by Teneb »
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: February 29, 2020, 10:54:04 am »

Or was the hospital already at like 95% capacity so had no margin in the first place?
It's this.
Healthcare systems around the world don't have the surge capacity needed to handle the Coronavirus.
We've seen this in Wuhan and now we are seeing it in Daegu, Qom and Lombardy.
On average, 20% of Coronavirus sufferers will need ICU care and assisted breathing.
And then they occupy that hospital bed for weeks.
There's already stories out there of people dying of totally unrelated medical problems because all the local hospitals have been refocused to treating Coronavirus specifically
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: February 29, 2020, 11:19:45 am »

I'm going to start responding to friends and family with, "Life is, in a word, disease."

I get that the virus will have long term economic impacts, but is money really our god this much that it's the primary concern?

I feel the same way delphonso, so many news articles covering the virus, and most of them are some variant of "Virus stopping MY economic growth?!" or "Mah stocks are dropping nooooo!" and it just sickens me. People are suffering, some real serious historical shit is going down, and all they can think about is their shitty shitty profit margins.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2020, 11:21:28 am by JoshuaFH »

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: February 29, 2020, 02:06:34 pm »

People are suffering, some real serious historical shit is going down, and all they can think about is their shitty shitty profit margins.

Those profit margins directly affect our ability to mitigate that suffering, you know.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: February 29, 2020, 03:25:17 pm »

People are suffering, some real serious historical shit is going down, and all they can think about is their shitty shitty profit margins.

Those profit margins directly affect our ability to mitigate that suffering, you know.
It is very unlikely to see those profits going toward anything health related. 

Indirectly, via wages and stuff, sure.  A lot of people will be put out of work if goods stop moving around cause of quarantines.  Is actually already happening.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: February 29, 2020, 04:10:57 pm »

Meanwhile people can't afford doctor visits and get zero sick days.  Because of razor thin margins and constant cutting of worker pay and benefits.

Employers are just going to reap what they sow.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: February 29, 2020, 08:26:21 pm »

I feel the same way delphonso, so many news articles covering the virus, and most of them are some variant of "Virus stopping MY economic growth?!" or "Mah stocks are dropping nooooo!" and it just sickens me. People are suffering, some real serious historical shit is going down, and all they can think about is their shitty shitty profit margins.

On the American side, I think this has to do with the election coming up. Trump's primary standing point has been that the economy (stock market) is doing well under his administration. It just seems very...dehumanizing to me.

If that's the case, the system is seriously flawed.

Anyway, sounds like the US had their first confirmed coronavirus death.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: February 29, 2020, 08:35:52 pm »

The bigger news in that article is that coronavirus is now hitting at least one nursing home in Washington state. 32 likely infections by the sound of things. That's a new point, a culture which collects its elderly in special centers is like giving this disease incubation centers.

The scariest thing is the piecemeal approach to testing the US apparently has. One of the first unknown-cause cases was almost turned away by the CDC because he didn't meet the "testing criteria". In other words, if they don't already know how you got it, they refuse to test you, at least until you're clearly sick and they can rule out every other cause.

I see this spreading quite widely in the US due to the very large number of people who have no coverage and can't afford to go see a doctor just in case. Then they'll also listen to Trump and say "well it's only a small chance of death, i'll take my chances", and they'll still turn up to work because they can't afford not to.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2020, 08:40:32 pm by Reelya »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: February 29, 2020, 09:10:36 pm »

Data appears to suggest that COVID-19 is ridiculously deadly in the 75+ age group as well as being skewed towards age overall when causing deaths and/or hospitalization. If there's a factor that is also making it spread powerfully in environments like nursing homes, the death toll could skyrocket. Particularly given how useless the US healthcare system is, not that there's an active treatment for COVID-19.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: February 29, 2020, 09:31:17 pm »

I mean, the best control vector we have right now for general use seems to just be good hygiene practices and whatnot. Careful hand washing, not coughing on people or otherwise getting fluids in places they shouldn't be, so on, so forth.

Or in other words basically everything old people are progressively worse at. So yes, something like a nursing home is probably going to see rapid infection.

Now, with good care access (stuff to keep your lungs lunging, mostly) even old people have better than even odds of survival, from what I understand... but that's contingent on having access. And you're talking the US, where tens of millions don't have insurance, rural areas are persistently underserved, and the executive branch was trying to claim reports of the danger of the virus are an attack on the president, last I noticed. Etc., etc., etc. We probably have the capability, conceptually, but the will? Hahahaha :-\

So like. Fucked? Probably pretty fucked.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

coalboat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: February 29, 2020, 09:45:45 pm »

The bigger news in that article is that coronavirus is now hitting at least one nursing home in Washington state. 32 likely infections by the sound of things. That's a new point, a culture which collects its elderly in special centers is like giving this disease incubation centers.

Some old people in nursing home in Wuhan also died from pneumonia, but as they didn't get the chance to get tested, the official cause of death is just ordinary flu. The increased death rate compared to historical data suggests that it's likely to be coronavirus.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: February 29, 2020, 10:08:38 pm »

Data appears to suggest that COVID-19 is ridiculously deadly in the 75+ age group as well as being skewed towards age overall when causing deaths and/or hospitalization. If there's a factor that is also making it spread powerfully in environments like nursing homes, the death toll could skyrocket. Particularly given how useless the US healthcare system is, not that there's an active treatment for COVID-19.

Unless you're 100% sure you have the actual coronavirus, please keep coming in to work and don't see a doctor. Otherwise it may impact your premiums.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 459