Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 459

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 423873 times)

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: Untamed Virus Containment Thread: SARS-Cov-2: SARS Harder
« Reply #390 on: February 28, 2020, 10:10:04 am »

So you're quibbling over the gap between "Dramatically downsizing" and "no longer working". Check.

Dramatically downsizing probably means they've abolished all their front-end spending programs and now only operate an office there that liaises with local health officials. Because the first thing you cut is frontline spending, and the last thing you do is close your branch office there.

Ok, so they only "dramatically downsized" their international disease prevention efforts in 80% of countries. Given that the point is asking whether the CDC slashed spending on disease prevention or not, the fact that they didn't slash exactly 100% of spending from any one country is kinda not the point here.

It's like someone saying their "pay was slashed to nothing", and you ask them how much they make now and it's "20 cents an hour" and you call them a liar, because 20 cents isn't "nothing". 20 cents and hour is functionally closer to not being paid at all than it is to earning a full salary, the same as dramatically slashing disease-prevention measures is functionally closer to just giving up than it is to making an effort.

Well it turns out it's not true anyway:
For starters, Trump hasn’t succeeded in cutting the budget.

He’s proposed cuts but Congress ignored him and increased financing instead. The National Institutes of Health and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention aren’t suffering from budget cuts that never took effect.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: February 28, 2020, 10:10:23 am »

I just a week time, stock markets have seen their profits over the past year evaporate.
The Dutch AEX has dropped back to the level it was at in march 2019.
Similar drops can be seen at stock markets in other countries.
Shareholders are licking their wounds, as the world wide virus panic strikes hard at economies.

Two possible pathways is that either this is an over-correction and the market will bounce back, or the market was already in a bubble, and this may pop the bubble.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: February 28, 2020, 10:19:32 am »

All the speculation I've read is that it's the straw that broke the camel's back.  We've been "overdue" for a correction for a few years so people have been looking for an excuse for the market to tank.  And here we are: an excuse.

A somewhat legitimate one, mind you, since the industrial downturn in China over the past few weeks will definitely have some material impact.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: February 28, 2020, 10:37:18 am »

One of the few upsides is that CO2 emissions are down quite a bit.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/26/climate/nyt-climate-newsletter-coronavirus.html
Coronavirus will save the planet!

Anyway, sorry for lack of links but: the virus has spread to my state due to a french couple that had been to Catalonia previously. They went to the hospital so you'd think the news would end there but... the two of them decided that, and this is after they were confirmed infected, they wanted to leave the hospital at any cost. And boy they tried so much that a judge had to issue an order to forcibly keep them in said hospital, where they currently are in isolation.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: February 28, 2020, 10:40:35 am »

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/26/climate/nyt-climate-newsletter-coronavirus.html

Anyway, sorry for lack of links but: the virus has spread to my state due to a french couple that had been to Catalonia previously. They went to the hospital so you'd think the news would end there but... the two of them decided that, and this is after they were confirmed infected, they wanted to leave the hospital at any cost. And boy they tried so much that a judge had to issue an order to forcibly keep them in said hospital, where they currently are in isolation.
wow

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: February 28, 2020, 10:47:03 am »

A somewhat legitimate one, mind you, since the industrial downturn in China over the past few weeks will definitely have some material impact.
Investors are worried about a supply side shock. From what I heard, demand indicators are actually fine.
Now the issue is that typical remedies that the central banks use (quantitative easing/throw massive amounts of money at it) isn't gonna make supplies magically appear.
I think the last reference for something of this nature was the oil crisis in the 70's
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: February 28, 2020, 10:51:39 am »

More French cases in South America!
Love, scriver~

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: February 28, 2020, 11:19:24 am »

Can Coronavirus Save the World?, microcline-bound codex
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: February 28, 2020, 11:36:06 am »

According to my newspaper, the global stock markets combined lost 4,500,000,000,000 euros in stock value in just one week.
https://www.volkskrant.nl/nieuws-achtergrond/liveblog-mexico-meldt-eerste-besmetting-coronavirus~b63e83f8/
(it's my newspaper's live blog about all things realated to the virus, circumvent the newspaper's paywall by using Firefox with the NoScript add-on)
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: February 28, 2020, 12:07:32 pm »

More French cases in South America!

The king was right after all! It´s all the Catalonian´s fault.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: February 28, 2020, 09:11:33 pm »

I'm going to start responding to friends and family with, "Life is, in a word, disease."

I get that the virus will have long term economic impacts, but is money really our god this much that it's the primary concern?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: February 28, 2020, 09:41:32 pm »

Pretty much, yeah.
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: February 28, 2020, 10:18:45 pm »

So you're quibbling over the gap between "Dramatically downsizing" and "no longer working". Check.

Dramatically downsizing probably means they've abolished all their front-end spending programs and now only operate an office there that liaises with local health officials. Because the first thing you cut is frontline spending, and the last thing you do is close your branch office there.

Ok, so they only "dramatically downsized" their international disease prevention efforts in 80% of countries. Given that the point is asking whether the CDC slashed spending on disease prevention or not, the fact that they didn't slash exactly 100% of spending from any one country is kinda not the point here.

It's like someone saying their "pay was slashed to nothing", and you ask them how much they make now and it's "20 cents an hour" and you call them a liar, because 20 cents isn't "nothing". 20 cents and hour is functionally closer to not being paid at all than it is to earning a full salary, the same as dramatically slashing disease-prevention measures is functionally closer to just giving up than it is to making an effort.

Well it turns out it's not true anyway:
For starters, Trump hasn’t succeeded in cutting the budget.

He’s proposed cuts but Congress ignored him and increased financing instead. The National Institutes of Health and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention aren’t suffering from budget cuts that never took effect.

Yeah, sorry about that Bumber, I did look at the actual CDC website for the figures myself and there's been no decrease. When the secondary sources are all conflicting and seem to come from reputable papers then it's hard to determine what the facts are.

However, the "Trump didn't slash the budget" thing isn't related to the "funding was slashed in 39/49 countries" thing. Those are completely unrelated issues, and thus proving that Trump didn't get that budget-cut through Congress doesn't mean the claim that funding was slashed in 39/49 countries is a false claim.

What I think the mix-up here is that the CDC did slash spending in those ~ 40/50 countries to next to nothing, but it turns out that the original spending was part of a specific bill for funding those programs, with a specific amount of dollars allocated to it - there was no yearly funding for any of this. The money then ran out and Congress never did anything to renew the funding. This was money the CDC was getting in addition to their stated budget, but that money no longer exists. So overall, the CDC's amount of money is lower, even though you can still truthfully claim that "their budget is the same". So, it's the grey area between "reducing their budget" and "not renewing discretionary budget items".

This then seems to have morphed in the news into "CDC cuts 80% of funding for XYZ", when it really was that they didn't have any funding left for the entire project, so withdrew from 80% of countries, and took money from the CDC's discretionary budget spending to maintain a remnant of the program in a short-listed selection of countries.

So yes, the true part is that spending was massively slashed in 39/49 countries, basically because the funding ran out for that, and the CDC has had to cobble-together a smaller program out of it by taking money from the main budget.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 10:43:09 pm by Reelya »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: February 29, 2020, 05:14:29 am »

Virus paranoia reaches a new level of insanity.
In the Iranian city of Bandar Abbas, locals have set fire to a hospital because rumour was spread that 10 corona patients from the city of Qom were transferred to it's quarantaine department.
According to the hospital, this wasn't even the case.
The hospital of Qom, the city where the virus outbreak in Iran started, is so full that there is no room for new patients.
Authorities are considering building a field hospital.
According to the BBC, who got it's numbers from sources inside Iranian hospitals, the death count in Iran is up to 210.
According to the Iranian government, there are 38 dead and 388 infected.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 459