Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 459

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 423903 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Untamed Virus Containment Thread: SARS-Cov-2: SARS Harder
« Reply #570 on: March 08, 2020, 07:26:17 am »

Toiletpaper barons are gonna make a killing

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: March 08, 2020, 07:32:23 am »

We were legit effectively out of TP (down to 3 rolls for our family of 4).  Was able to score an 18-roll pack from the grocery store here with no problems.

I guess at least here in civilization, panic has not yet struck.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: March 08, 2020, 07:55:52 am »

Just Whatsapping with an old highschool friend of mine, who is a neurologist at a hospital one province south of me.
Patients and doctors who live in my province (North Brabant) are no longer allowed there if they have even the slightest cold-like symptoms (most cases in the Netherlands are in my province).
They also are nearly out of testing materials.

Apparently there is a worldwide shortage of basic rescources to make more testing materials.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2020, 08:06:15 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: March 08, 2020, 10:28:10 am »

This one should make you angry:

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/health/health-problems/leaders-fatal-error-in-us-covid19-response/news-story/78c969786f07faf556658bb18d537283

A sick Californian nurse made a desperate appeal for help.

She says the federal Centres for Disease Control had been unwilling, or unable, to test her for COVID-19. Her patients may have infected her. She may have infected others.

She had volunteered to help.

“I did this because I had all the recommended protective gear and training from my employer,” she wrote in an open letter. “I did this assuming that if something happened to me, of course, I too would be cared for.”

She was wrong.

The protective gear did not work. She is sick. But she’s not getting any treatment.

“I’m awaiting ‘permission’ from the federal government to allow for my testing, even after my physician and county health professional ordered it. I am a registered nurse, and I need to know if I am positive before going back to caring for patients.”

As of yesterday, the US had only identified some 300 cases. Only eight have so far recovered, and 17 have died.

The resulting death rate of 5.9 per cent is the world’s highest. But that is a statistical aberration: the numbers are simply incomplete.

Epidemiologists know the actual number of sufferers is likely to already be in the tens of thousands. They just can’t prove it.

That’s because the test kits tailored to identify this specific virus are unavailable. And the government-run CDC has been imposing strange conditions upon its distribution and use.

“The National CDC would not initiate testing,” the Californian nurse wrote. “They said they would not test me because if I were wearing the recommended protective equipment, then I wouldn’t have the coronavirus … What a ridiculous and uneducated response from the department that is in charge of our health in this country.”

So that's the thing. If a health worker was wearing the gear, they couldn't possibly be infected, so they have to keep coming into work and treating people, No Test For You. Fuck these assholes.

At what point does this stop being bungling and clearly become malice, where they're clearly throwing all the little people under the bus in an attempt to kill any news about this until after the elections?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2020, 10:43:12 am by Reelya »

coalboat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: March 08, 2020, 11:19:53 am »

A few pages earlier (and about a month ago) I talked about how hospitals in Wuhan couldn't manage to test or treat every patients. Hopefully it will cause less casualty in US as the population is more sparse and most people have car and are free to drive to distant hospitals that have the medical capacity.

edit:
When the epidemic began to spread in Wuhan, the situation was downplayed because there was the election for regional delegates(yes there is election even in China, very different from in US though).
« Last Edit: March 08, 2020, 11:26:51 am by coalboat »

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: March 08, 2020, 11:53:39 am »

Is the course of care different if you are diagnosed with COVID-19 compared to any other lower respiratory infection?  I mean, aside from the panic-inducing quarantine?  This is an honest question here - is the treatment any different from any other severe influenza or pneumonia?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: March 08, 2020, 11:56:07 am »

coalboat, You have a funny idea about how the US medical system works.

In the US, with the private health insurance, you need to go to specific hospitals that are in your health insurer's "network". Otherwise, you aren't covered by health insurance and have to pay the full fee. Maybe if they're rich they can afford to hospital-shop. Otherwise, they're up shit creek without a paddle.

This crisis is really exposing the flaws in the profit-gouging medical system of the USA. Note also, incidents such as Hurricane Katrina in the USA. In that, there was no public transport for evacuation, so there was profit-gouging of people wanting to escape from the hurricane.

Also note what was in the article I linked before, that the government's CDC is refusing to hand out the tests. It doesn't matter what hospital you go to, they require the test kits to be allocated by the government, and they have restrictive rules about who can be tested.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2020, 12:03:43 pm by Reelya »

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: March 08, 2020, 11:58:28 am »

Toiletpaper barons are gonna make a killing

Yeah, but it's a shitty way to earn money.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: March 08, 2020, 12:00:40 pm »

Is the course of care different if you are diagnosed with COVID-19 compared to any other lower respiratory infection?  I mean, aside from the panic-inducing quarantine?  This is an honest question here - is the treatment any different from any other severe influenza or pneumonia?
There's a much higher likelihood of you needing ICU care if not outright mechanical ventilation to prevent a rapid descent to death, and there aren't effective antiviral therapies at this time.

Additionally, there's a host of asymptomatic and mild cases which are likely boosting total infection rate.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: March 08, 2020, 02:03:43 pm »

Like, to give reference there, the flu hospitalization rate looks to be about 52 in 100,000; 0.052%. The hospitalization rate ( "severe" cases) for covid-19 is currently pegged at something like 20,000 in 100,000, 1 in 5, 20%, last I saw mention of it. That's subject to change as more information is actually collected, but this shit is not playing around.

So like. The course of care is similar? ICU, ventilation if it's bad enough, etc. But the rate of it being more or less necessary damn sure ain't, as near as we can tell so far.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: March 08, 2020, 02:19:45 pm »

https://www.who.int/docs/default-source/coronaviruse/situation-reports/20200306-sitrep-46-covid-19.pdf?sfvrsn=96b04adf_4
« Last Edit: March 08, 2020, 02:21:28 pm by Il Palazzo »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: March 08, 2020, 02:49:06 pm »

Geez, 1500 more infected patients added in Italy today, and 133 dead in 1 day.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: March 08, 2020, 02:49:34 pm »

I guess my question was really this: unless you are preemptively putting people in the ICU when they get COVID-19 versus say influenza, why does it matter if you get tested for it or not*? If you think you have it, can't you self-quarantine?  That is - what did the nurse in that story want to have that she didn't have, that she could have only received with a positive COVID-19 result?

Or is this a manufactured situation where if you will potentially get employment-punished by doing such unless you get the "doctor's note" that you have a positive COVID-19 diagnosis?

*EDIT: excepting perhaps the statistics-gathering and letting other people know aspect.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2020, 02:53:45 pm by McTraveller »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: March 08, 2020, 02:53:41 pm »

I can tell you in Spain most infectees are at home. People who contacted infectees are quarantined, and if they develop symptoms they are tested.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 459