Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 459

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 423664 times)

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile

No. It's because there is no more dreadful nor more soul rending state of mind than finding oneself on the loo and realising there's no TP for your bunghole.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile

Maybe itīs related to the new rumor that masturbation has a protective effect?
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile

We should just embrace the future and use 3 shells
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile

Maybe itīs related to the new rumor that masturbation has a protective effect?
But... it makes you blind. Dear god. It's going to end up like The Day of the Triffids.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile

Posting to watch the thread.  Supposedly had cases in this county for the last week or so.  And in the nearest hospital to boot(again supposedly), the downsides of a tourist town.  Don't know why I didn't look for this thread sooner.

To contribute to the current topic, I work retail.  My store has been out of hand sanitiser for at least 2 weeks.  As of sunday there was still hand soap but it was only the small store brand kind.  We're no longer allowed to hold items for customers to purchase later, and that instead just amounts to people hiding bottles of soap and alcohol in the backs of shelves in unrelated sections.  Paper towels and toilet paper are still there as of sunday but I would not be surprised if those were empty by now.

This has been your unofficial Dollar General stock update
« Last Edit: March 11, 2020, 05:41:18 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile

Shit is approaching the fan in the balkans as well. Multiple cases in croatia, now we're getting them in B&H too, it's mostly in the north so far, but apparently there's some folks who gtfo'd from italy in the past several weeks that have houses nearby so that's causing a bit of a ruckus. Schools are shut down for the next two weeks as of next week, possibly for longer, depending on how the situation develops.

Work on the job is slowing down but they still haven't told us to outright stay at home, probably won't until its too late is my guess, gotta get that moolah while you can I guess :V

My only worry right now is still my sister, she's recovering pretty nicely from the operation but I have no doubt she's gonna be in the risk category for a while to come, and it seems things can only go downhill from here.

Gonna be one hell of a year that's for sure.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

No. It's because there is no more dreadful nor more soul rending state of mind than finding oneself on the loo and realising there's no TP for your bunghole.

One can only imagine what our ancestors went through. Or just have gone camping at least once in your life, I suppose.

My mom is due to make a trip to the hospital here in Omaha Nebraska where the only (I think?) so far confirmed case passed through in some sort of crazy biocontainment suit/sphere/enclosure thing. She just got diagosed with cancer and is there to see the oncologist, and it would par for the course if she got infected by her time there.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

I've got a friend who's employer had a case in Nebraska, and they're not medical research. I think that may have been announced just today, though.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

Just checked. Sounds like 5.

Those first four cases are all travel-related, and until this point health officials have said there are no community-spread cases in the state. It is unclear how or where this latest case was contracted.

The fifth case will be transferred to the Nebraska Biocontainment Unit at Nebraska Medicine/University of Nebraska Medical Center, where Nebraska's first patient is receiving treatment and is in critical condition. The other cases are all in self-quarantine at home.

It really ticks me off that people are like "so it's just the flu." "The flu" doesn't leave otherwise healthy adults in critical condition. It's shitty, but when people try to downplay this I find myself hoping they catch it. I'm not going berzerk and stockpiling and wearing gloves and a flu mask, but I take the threat seriously. I was just the sickest I've been in 20 years this last Christmas, so I have no illusions about my ability to fend off illness anymore.

Also the college student we got at work just emailed in that he can't breathe through his nose and he has a painful chest cough. Dude calls in sick about once a week but it's possible he may have contracted it from being on campus. Which means the dude that works in his office isn't far behind, and by that logic, neither am I.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2020, 06:07:37 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
Re: Untamed Virus Containment Thread: SARS-Cov-2: SARS Harder
« Reply #714 on: March 11, 2020, 06:14:48 pm »

You can then use a formula, "partial sum of a geometric series" to give you the answer of the total number of infected. From (1 - 2.4n)/(1-2.4), then after 90 days an unchecked single spreader would have created 4528 victims: 1886 no longer infectious ones along with the 2641 currently infectious victims.

Nice with the numbers.  :)

In Italy it has been reported that they have identified 'patient zero' arriving on 25/26 January (in Italian) https://www.tgcom24.mediaset.it/cronaca/coronavirus-galli-paziente-0-arrivato-dalla-germania-il-25-26-gennaio_15995099-202002a.shtml. Latest figures for confirmed cases (wikipedia) show 12 462.  (That's in only six weeks - but almost certainly there have been other sources of infection.)

Meanwhile you have to hand it to America, they have adroitly positioned themselves to become a net exporter of the virus; we are already seeing the beginning of that effect since no-one has put them on the list of restricted or banned countries of origin due to their massive under-reporting.  Hope that changes soon...

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile

I don't wholly believe the soundbites that are spinning around in social media concerning the situation in Italy... but the hard data is that it is, in fact, worse than anywhere else. And this is in part driven by a collapse of the healthcare system in Italy.

I think panic is dangerous in these situations. I've been seeing too much of that. I'm kind of worried about complacency as well, as I've been seeing a lot of that for the last few days.

I get the impression that for too many people there is no middle ground between martial law/survivalism and not doing anything at all.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

I'm wondering what the situation on the ground is in Iran. Similar reported numbers in all regards, but far less transparency. Same videos of nurses despairing that people are dying in their arms. Also, they allegedly released 70,000 prisoners? That's a lot of goddamn prisoners.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile

I don't wholly believe the soundbites that are spinning around in social media concerning the situation in Italy... but the hard data is that it is, in fact, worse than anywhere else.

We will have to wait and see, but I think that they were just 'early adopters'.  Iran who also reported early infections (19th February as opposed to 21st in Italy, I think) has been reporting numbers only 10-20% less, and they ennacted pretty strong quarantines very early on, so I think that the scale is right if not the precise numbers.

By the way the numbers I mentioned above for Italy come from the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protezione_Civile which can be relied upon more than some 'social medial soundbite'.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2020, 07:59:56 pm by feelotraveller »

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile

Trump just suspended all US travel from the Eurozone.
UK is exempt  :P
« Last Edit: March 11, 2020, 08:11:21 pm by TamerVirus »
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

Also apparently forbid cargo import? It's funny, I don't think I've ever physically heard a stock market die before. Weirdest noise I ever did hear.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 459