Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 459

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 423700 times)

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Untamed Virus Containment Thread: SARS-Cov-2: Coronavirus World Tour 2020
« Reply #1125 on: March 17, 2020, 02:18:10 pm »

Most hoarding is done out of of sheer irrational panic.

I think you are right. In addition, once a few people start hoarding, more people will start to worry that the supermarket could run empty and start hoarding as well, leading to a chain effect.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1126 on: March 17, 2020, 04:29:34 pm »

Dutch prisoners will start producing face masks starting tomorrow to help solve the shortages.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1127 on: March 17, 2020, 05:05:07 pm »

I don't think I'd be very confident in how clean masks made by criminals would be.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1128 on: March 17, 2020, 05:06:11 pm »

Yes, that's the issue here, not the slave labor.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1129 on: March 17, 2020, 05:14:59 pm »

It's not slave labour. It's on voluontary basis, and they get paid (dunno how much, think about 30 cents per hour)

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1130 on: March 17, 2020, 05:20:57 pm »

It's definitely slave labor. Why do you think the US made a specific exemption to our slavery ban for prisoners? You're playing the same fucked up game we are.

I mean, fucking listen to yourself! .30 an hour? For making lifesaving equipment? You don't smell anything wrong there? Smell hard.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: March 17, 2020, 05:24:04 pm »

It's definitely slave labor. Why do you think the US made a specific exemption to our slavery ban for prisoners? You're playing the same fucked up game we are.

I mean, fucking listen to yourself! .30 an hour? For making lifesaving equipment? You don't smell anything wrong there? Smell hard.

I want our countries to stop playing the slave game

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1132 on: March 17, 2020, 05:26:32 pm »

A slave who is forced to work without having committed any crime, and a convicted criminal who is given the option to earn a little extra pocket money on top of his allowance to spend at the prison shops if he so chooses are not the same.

EDIT: and it is quite possible that they get more than 30 cents for this job, no clue.
I believe the standard pay for prison labour here is 30 cents and hour though. Those standard prison labour programs aren't really for the money, they are meant to teach a trade (prisoners can get degrees and certificates through these programs that would cost a lot of money to get outside of prison) , kill boredom and get them used to a working schedule for when they are released. All voluontary.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 05:33:20 pm by martinuzz »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1133 on: March 17, 2020, 05:30:28 pm »

How quickly the standards turn! First you rave that the US has no law protecting people who steal to survive, now prisoners have no rights because muh conviction and you're not a slave if I toss you a coin now and again?

Barbaric.
No Gods, No Masters.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1134 on: March 17, 2020, 05:35:40 pm »

Current state of this thread: WTF?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: March 17, 2020, 05:46:55 pm »

Looked it up, latest change to prison labour hourly wage I could find is from 2016, it was raised from 0,76 euro to 0,82 euro per hour.
Since prisoners pay no rent, no gas / electricity, no water, and already get an allowance, this is pretty fair, and leaves a prisoner that chooses to work 8h a day for 5 days a week with more than half the amount to freely spend (on top of their monthly allowance) than someone living off social minimum.
Plus they get free education as an added bonus.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 05:54:10 pm by martinuzz »

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: March 17, 2020, 05:51:14 pm »

Meanwhile convicts in Brazil decided to just leave prison after new Coronavirus restrictions.
There was also a prison break in Italy
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #1137 on: March 17, 2020, 05:57:32 pm »

martinuzz has highlighted the following:

It is voluntary.
They get paid.

Slave labour is not voluntary, frequently unpaid, and requires the use of slaves - those who are legally the possessions of another person.

I'll add that I don't see much wrong with using prisoners as cheap labour, though it being voluntary is perhaps an essential criteria. They are, after all, being punished. If they choose to relieve their boredom by doing community service work, why not?
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: March 17, 2020, 06:43:09 pm »

I can't see anything wrong with it either, it seems really harmless.

Opponents say things like "the same government offices that set state prosecution guidelines for conviction rates and severity are also building their budgets around the dividends from prison labor programs they also administer" and "elections to head these offices are intensely lobbied and campaigned for by the companies profiting from these programs", but I think what they're missing is that criminals need to be punished.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1139 on: March 17, 2020, 06:52:04 pm »

It's really not harmless, undercutting jobs that might actually meaningfully support a family just as a start. We should really not fucking incentivize corps to figure out how to wrangle paying their workers fuckall by reason of them being currently incarcerated, and that's just the tip of the iceberg so far as issues with penal labor goes. Either pay the work what it's due or fuck off, and 80 cents per hour isn't the due for goddamn anything anymore.

Also not the thread for it, though. I'm sure some prison or another will get their population infected and then probably disproportionately killed, then it'll have a good place in the crow plague thread.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 459