Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 168 169 [170] 171 172 ... 459

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 423944 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Untamed Virus Containment Thread: COVID-19: Super Stay Home Edition
« Reply #2535 on: April 19, 2020, 03:05:13 pm »

It's a stressful time, but there's no need to get carried away with these sorts of divisive labels and rhetoric.

I can see where your coming from, but in the context of Brazil, someone calling for the return of AI-5 is equivalent to a German calling for the reinstatement of the SS and the gas chambers. Calling them a "Nazi" in that context would not be inflammatory - it's just descriptive. In the Brazilian context, calling someone who promotes the return of AI-5 a fascist, is similarly merely descriptive.

See Hitler's Enabling Act of 1933 for reference. Brazil's AI-5 act allowed basically the same things the Enabling Act did for Hitler. AI-5 was the law law allowing arbitrary arrest and torture of dissidents (effectively: anybody), and for the president to remove any elected official from office, and to overrule the congress, constitution and court system. This law was effectively the specific tool to turn the nation into a one-party fascist state (by removing all opposition candidates from office and blocking them from running again), so I make no bones about calling the advocates for this law fascists, because they are that by definition. It's the same law that is recognized as formally declaring the dictatorship in Nazi Germany in '33.

EDIT: maybe it was inflammatory of me to call them "fascist bootlickers" but I don't really think so. I called them that because what they're actually asking for (whether fully understood or not) is the reinstatement of the one-party police state, and their obvious assumption is that they'll be the loyal faithful so they won't be targeted. This is why they are bootlickers.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2020, 03:39:32 pm by Reelya »

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2536 on: April 19, 2020, 04:31:39 pm »

It was a crappy joke imitating what the other spineless bootlickers are saying while enabling fascists like Bolsonaro and the US president.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2537 on: April 19, 2020, 05:46:19 pm »

First they went after some other people, and I said nothing or maybe I actually even voted for the guy if we're being totally honest (but who's keeping score),
Then it worked, they stopped, and everything was fine

A) Where did you steal this from
B) If it's yours, can I steal it?
One wheel short of a wagon

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2538 on: April 19, 2020, 07:41:55 pm »

It was a crappy joke imitating what the other spineless bootlickers are saying while enabling fascists like Bolsonaro and the US president.

I don't know how you managed to make such an obvious joke, and still get several people to think it's serious.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2539 on: April 19, 2020, 08:52:56 pm »

Poe

thompson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2540 on: April 19, 2020, 08:53:15 pm »

I don't know how you managed to make such an obvious joke, and still get several people to think it's serious.

The comment did throw me off a bit. The call for civility seemed ostensibly reasonable, but it was juxtaposed with the joke at the end so I really had no idea how to parse it. I suppose I’m not accustomed to parody of eloquent fascists.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Love, scriver~

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2543 on: April 20, 2020, 01:29:37 am »

Related to the post before

https://t.co/EXLSAL8EhU?amp=1
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

mko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2544 on: April 20, 2020, 04:12:39 am »

https://t.co/EXLSAL8EhU?amp=1

Can you give the real link? This looks like something leading to totally.not.virus.ru

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2546 on: April 20, 2020, 04:52:35 am »

(I know you can get a preview of the target URL by putting a + at the end of a bit.ly link-shortener URL, but jot yet discovered if t.co ones have that same feature. I wouldn't even mind twitter knowing I was expressing interest, but even with the best heuristics behind them to pick up malicious targets I really don't want to risk putting my foot over the threshold of some hijacked baked goods firm site with maliciously hacked-in 'ghost site' functionality, even if I can tell it definitely is not my bank/whatever.)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2547 on: April 20, 2020, 07:28:38 am »

Things are starting to look somewhat hopeful over here.

For more than a week, hospital admissions and death numbers have been dropping.
Yesterday saw only 69 dead and 75 new hospital admissions.One day before that, there still were 83 dead and 110 hospital admissions.

The total number of confirmed corona deaths in the Netherlands is now 3751
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2548 on: April 20, 2020, 08:26:37 am »

It sounds like Texas will be re-opening things May 1. Hopefully grocery prices will go back down.

I'd give numbers on how well/badly things are going, but I only know one person who has gotten tested.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2549 on: April 20, 2020, 09:07:53 am »

Things are starting to look somewhat hopeful over here.

For more than a week, hospital admissions and death numbers have been dropping.
Yesterday saw only 69 dead and 75 new hospital admissions.One day before that, there still were 83 dead and 110 hospital admissions.

The total number of confirmed corona deaths in the Netherlands is now 3751
Just. Is there any indication the unconfirmed ones are also stabilizing?

If there's a single thing consistent about almost every country's response it's been not fucking testing enough to have a genuine finger on the pulse of the crow plague. Reductions in confirmed deaths and/or hospitalization figures are only particularly comforting if other indicators, what little is available to track unrecognized cases, are following a similar course and there's no substantial indication of a second (or third, or whatever) wave incoming.

Maybe the Netherlands are actually staying on top of things on that front, I'unno, but at the moment basically nothing about official numbers brings me any goddamn comfort whatsoever, and I can't see that changing until legitimately aggressive testing and tracing efforts are implemented. Garbage in, garbage out -- your data is at best as good as your data collection.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 168 169 [170] 171 172 ... 459