Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 228 229 [230] 231 232 ... 459

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 421425 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Untamed Virus Containment Thread: COVID-19: Ride the Wave, Dude! Edition
« Reply #3435 on: June 29, 2020, 01:25:18 am »

Why is California spelled Californië while the other state names are the same as in English?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #3436 on: June 29, 2020, 01:41:18 am »

Something something Spanish Netherlands? Maybe?

Also, as bad as the rise in Florida/Texas/Cali are, the most dramatic looking exponential rise in cases is Arizona, both on total and proportionally. And they've an actually insane 23% Positive test rating last I checked, easily highest in the country, and it's even worse when you consider some of the  testing sites there are massively over capacity...
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3437 on: June 29, 2020, 01:51:34 am »

That's Dutch for you haha, one of the most illogical languages in the world
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #3438 on: June 29, 2020, 04:38:44 am »

BTW:  a couple of seroprevalence studies in nursing homes in Spain have shown rates of 70%. If confirmed (TBH this was only in two regions... ) the good news would be that  the group more-at-risk would have at least  a degree of immunity, so there's that. A future wave would be less likely to result in a repeat of the nursing home massacre that the first wave was.

Of course, this has come at the cost of around 10% of all nursing home residents in Spain dying :(
« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 04:47:41 am by ChairmanPoo »
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3439 on: June 29, 2020, 05:19:59 am »

That's Dutch for you haha, one of the most illogical languages in the world
<English> Hold my beer!

(Everyone knows that Dutch is just English spoken with a weird word order and a very heavy cold. Though what it's written with, is anyone's guess. Cat on an already broken keyboard?)

Sort of disappointed it wasn't also Nieuw Amsterdam, though.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #3440 on: June 29, 2020, 02:34:58 pm »

Danish study show Danesmen spread corona to Sweden, Iceland, and Latvonia.

By tracking a mutation of the virus that happened in Denmark (do mutations happen? take place?) they make the claim that it must have been Danish people who spread the disease to those three countries where that mutation is common.
Love, scriver~

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3441 on: June 29, 2020, 02:47:44 pm »

There are very minor mutations that have been used to analyse the 'tree' of propogation, and produce reasoned guesses that there were (and I may be mistemembering this badly) three main infection events (three travellers, or co-infected groups) arriving into the US from Europe, and other such details. (Or at least the details that are not being badly regurgitated by my faulty memory.)

Anyway, I suggest all longships should immediately be locked down. Take away their oars, then it'll be just the superspreader vikings who are up the creek without a paddle.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3443 on: June 29, 2020, 05:59:22 pm »

Just waiting for some weird RNA-transcription thing to happen between flu and COVID to create the destroyer now.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3444 on: June 30, 2020, 01:34:20 am »

You just need simultaneous infection, so that you have all the fun of Flu, with all the fun of Covid, all at the same time.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3445 on: June 30, 2020, 07:55:13 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

>UK
>USA
>Sweden
What good is being prepared if you literally just stand by and watch

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3446 on: June 30, 2020, 07:58:49 am »

In the case of the US, the Plutocrats just could not BEAR to see ORDINARY PEOPLE getting "Free money!", while their own "Projected earnings" tanked.

Thus, the "REOPEN! DO IT! DO IT NAAAOOOW!! DAMN ALL THOSE PEOPLE THAT WILL DIE!" rhetoric, along with the "THEY WILL MAKE MORE ON UNEMPLOYMENT THAN BEING EMPLOYED!" hysteria.

Basically, they are so fucking paranoid that people might decide that they want livable wages, and that they WONT get another 10 million dollar bonus this year, that they are willing to sacrifice thousands of people's lives, and thousands more people's health.

At least in the US anyway.

Not sure about Sweden.  Ask the Swedes.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3447 on: June 30, 2020, 08:36:52 am »

I do find myself wondering if there's any chance that the virus won't become ubiquitous in the US. In the UK, Johnson does at least have his "fuck business" motto, and will eventually respond to loud and overwhelming public demand, which as far as I can see is how we got a nationwide lockdown here in the first place. So if the funeral parlours start filling up too fast, we'll go back into lockdown, no matter what party donors or business says. The US, however... it doesn't seem like the democratic machine is really working at all. Plus a much larger proportion of the population seems to genuinely want to let the virus run its course.

If the bodies really start piling up while Trump is still president, I'm not sure how he'll try to save face. War with China, perhaps.

One wheel short of a wagon

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3448 on: June 30, 2020, 08:47:59 am »

A recent comment from the head of the WHO:
"Although many countries have made some progress, globally the pandemic is actually speeding up."

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3449 on: June 30, 2020, 08:50:56 am »

I think it was one weeks ago when they said that, illustrating it with 'it took three month to reach the first million infections. The latest million infections took only 8 days (from 8 to 9 million).' 

We're over 10 million now less than 8 days later.
So yeah, globally it is still speeding up. Mostly in South America, the US and Asia.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479
Pages: 1 ... 228 229 [230] 231 232 ... 459