Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 324 325 [326] 327 328 ... 459

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 421411 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Untamed Virus Containment Thread: COVID-19:Mutating into COVID-21 Edition
« Reply #4875 on: January 16, 2021, 04:00:33 pm »

Meanwhile in India, the government in Delhi started the mass vaccination campaing, while meanwhile in India, the Kumbh Mela festival, the largest festival in the world, also has begun. Well over a million of people came together in the Himalayan holy city of Haridwar, to bathe in the Ganges river and cleanse themselves, not repelled by fear of covid.  Most do not wear face mask and keeping distance is impossible.  Millions more pilgrims are expected the coming weeks.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4876 on: January 17, 2021, 12:18:14 pm »

An anti-corona measures protest that had been forbidden to go to the Museumplein in Amsterdam did so anyways.
They were allowed to protest with max 500 man in the Westerpark, but instead thousands of people occupied the Museumplein.

They have been dispersed with water cannons backed by mounted police and K9 units.
Those silly enough to fight the police met the hard end of police batons. Several arrests were made.

Most protestors have been dispersed by now, but now a new group arrives, Ajax (Amsterdam's football team) football hooligans, their club is playing a match without audience against nemesis Feyenoord today.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2021, 12:23:25 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4877 on: January 17, 2021, 12:38:24 pm »

Over here, we have people driving 100 miles for a McDonalds (allegedly - doesn't help their cause that the town they went to didn't have a McDonalds, which is a feat in itself) against all the spirit of lockdown

The other day, a car was stopped for speeding on the motorway (again, very unlucky, that seems to be very rare), having travelled practically across half the country and one of the highest main roads (M62, over the Pennines) in heavy snow conditions 'for a takeaway' (I get the impression they'd got it, and were hurrying back home). The car turned out to contain members of three different households who probably shouldn't have been mixing, so not just the driver was ticketed/etc.

Haven't seen anything about protests, here, in the last week, though, just regular covidiocity. Water-cannon would havevbeen interesting during the cold-snap (but I think they're not actually allowed outside Norn Irnd, even if Boris apparently bought some for London when he was still Mayor).

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4878 on: January 17, 2021, 12:56:21 pm »

In contrast, we are kinda like that home where the parent's did not pay much attention to their kids despite yelling them out loud, and thus those kids were envied by every other kids because they were so "free" to do whatever they want as long it did not bothered their parents directly... but among the other parents things were crystal clear those kids hardly had any good future.

Here in theory we have a week of strict confinement and a week of stricter confinement. People don't protest because every one is so busy not fucking starving that there is not much time or energy left for it. Occasional protests for the usual (domestic gas, gasoline, electricity, and medicine shortages) still erupt here and there but that is just SNAFU.

As long business have someone at the door with a alcohol spray and some of those rugs submerged on alcohol and more or less try to respect the assigned maximum number or patrons no one pays attention.

On the stricter week no one is supposed to get out but people still do, and non medical and food business operate with their doors closed. Everyone knows, nobody cares.

Since our migration have already taken away a rather large chunk of young doctors looking for greener pastures our medical pool consists mostly of a ever diminishing group of third age doctors that are specially vulnerable to covid and are dying like flies at alarming rates... I tell you guys is some movie worth stuff how most of them keep working. A few days ago a doctor in my city died, his last procedure was to deliver his own grandson.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4879 on: January 17, 2021, 02:52:43 pm »

I live near Snowdon (one of the highest peaks in the UK, and a tourist trap). Daily people are arrested and fined for travelling from hundreds of miles away in order to climb it. They always plead ignorance with regards lockdown rules.
This is a blank sig.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4880 on: January 17, 2021, 03:01:09 pm »

"What's a lockdown? I thought I was in England"

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4881 on: January 17, 2021, 03:24:54 pm »

/waits until they start to reinstate Offa's Dyke, as well as Hadrian's Wall.

Hwyl fawr, Saeson!

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4882 on: January 17, 2021, 05:41:27 pm »

"What's a lockdown? I thought I was in England"

People have claimed not to know English laws didn't apply in Wales. Seriously.

This is a blank sig.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4883 on: January 17, 2021, 05:53:37 pm »

but Whales is an English colony innit?

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #4884 on: January 17, 2021, 05:59:25 pm »

It’s always been Englandandwales to me.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #4885 on: January 17, 2021, 06:28:54 pm »

Why are you all misspelling Engwelsh
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4886 on: January 17, 2021, 06:42:09 pm »

Why are you talking about the mythical land of Wales? Is but the feverish imatinantion of early roman that went along with Caesar to England. Dont you see? Whales and Wales? The guys were sailing, saw some of the oceanic creatures and came up with the place... the joke simply got too long.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2021, 06:45:55 pm by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4887 on: January 17, 2021, 06:55:29 pm »

Cofiwch Dryweryn!

...but, in actual UK Covid news, apparently there's a repeat of the 1857 Indian Rebellion situaton. Some people have apparently been spreading lies that the vaccine contains beef and/or pork product, causing a higher than expected number of refusals to partake amongst the related ethnic groups.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4888 on: January 17, 2021, 06:59:44 pm »

Wales did use to be considered part of England, I think.

but Whales is an English colony innit?

Not really a "colony." Britain is a union of England, Wales, Scotland, and Northern Ireland.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4889 on: January 17, 2021, 07:01:53 pm »

Cofiwch Dryweryn!

...but, in actual UK Covid news, apparently there's a repeat of the 1857 Indian Rebellion situaton. Some people have apparently been spreading lies that the vaccine contains beef and/or pork product, causing a higher than expected number of refusals to partake amongst the related ethnic groups.
Fuuuuck, that sounds like some racists being creatively hateful.  I hate this.  It's kinda ironic because most of our (USA) loonies seem to actually believe the vaccine is bad (or the virus is fake).  This seems like people who believe in the vaccine, and want... want certain people to die from the virus.  Disgusting.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.
Pages: 1 ... 324 325 [326] 327 328 ... 459