Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 390 391 [392] 393 394 ... 459

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 423874 times)

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
Re: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19:Son of the Mask edition
« Reply #5865 on: October 07, 2021, 04:27:51 am »

I think that's optimistic. The endemic virus is now an issue for everyone, and those who recognize the serious health implications will no longer support the Right, who increasingly rule from minority. They'll "shed the chaff," so to speak.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #5866 on: October 07, 2021, 09:06:04 am »

What even is the Swedish Works of Healing Means? Google pulls up nothing, as near as I can tell.
At a guess (and not finding any other group, with just the barest Googling/Wikipedianing) it might be the Folkhälsomyndigheten, which seems to be "Public Health Agency of Sweden" in a more considered translation.

I could be wrong, but I could see a garden-path literal translation landing on Agency->Means and Public->Works. Though (by eye, pulling into my native English rather than pushing out of a native Svenska) it looks more like "People's Health Agency [,The]" (and being Swedish is implicit).
Spoiler: Linguistic geekout (click to show/hide)

Anyway, even my first guess, prior to my amateur etymological efforts, is a stretch. (The first English news references by the few news agencies to have Swedish+Moderna articles just talk about the "Swedish health agency", or similar.) Could be a lesser/subordinate/tighter-scoped body that is the Means one.

Swedish Works of Healing Means is my direct translation of Läkemedelsverket (Läke- = Healing; -medel = means (to the thing it's affixed to); verk = works, as in waterworks, but also authorities by extension; and -et is another definitive article postscript). It's s much more fun translation than "the Medical Product Agency".

But yes I was jokeslating the wrong agency anyway (Läkemedelsverket was mentioned in the article I read so I guess it just stuck in my head), the correct  one would be Folkhälsomyndigheten, the Folk Health Agency.

Though (by eye, pulling into my native English rather than pushing out of a native Svenska) it looks more like "People's Health Agency [,The]" (and being Swedish is implicit).
Spoiler: Linguistic geekout (click to show/hide)

Anyway, even my first guess, prior to my amateur etymological efforts, is a stretch. (The first English news references by the few news agencies to have Swedish+Moderna articles just talk about the "Swedish health agency", or similar.) Could be a lesser/subordinate/tighter-scoped body that is the Means one.

Very good! I'm not sure about the "diet of worms" part though, I'm not familiar with that reference. Myndighet does mean "authority", my first instinct was that it was related to mun, mouth (with the implication of "having a voice") but I had to look it before posting and it turns out it's related to mund, an archaic word for hand. It's built off of myndig (authority-related) and -het (directly translates to "-hood").

But probably an untimely excess of caution that will generate significant harm when miscontrued in anti-vaxxer circles.  So fair enough with the wtf-ing.

I'd say the opposite, are you suggesting the government should disregard higher chances of ill side effects for a part of the populace, when they have the means to avoid this higher risk by simply redistributing vaccine use to not use that one vaccine at fault on this group?

If anything, this shows that the authorities is taking possible side effects from these new vaccines seriously and is willing to change their policy as new evidence presents itself, and that they don't want to repeat the mistakes of the swine flu vaccine. This is the kind of thing that builds trust in authorities.

I think that's optimistic. The endemic virus is now an issue for everyone, and those who recognize the serious health implications will no longer support the Right, who increasingly rule from minority. They'll "shed the chaff," so to speak.

The idea that anti-vax is somehow a right-wing thing just because a bunch of American politicians have embraced it is a grave misconception to begin with. Anti-vax sentiment is grown in anti-authoritarian ground, across the left-right spectrum. There's plenty of new age hippies and government-distrustfuls in there who'd vote "left" on nearly every wing-defining issue.
Love, scriver~

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5867 on: October 07, 2021, 09:38:36 am »

Must have been why Trump was booed for suggesting getting vaxxed. All those left wingers at his rallies.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #5868 on: October 07, 2021, 09:55:10 am »

Yes, the US Left is well known for their small government/anti-government rhetoric.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5869 on: October 07, 2021, 10:00:16 am »

Apparently we are going to have a third wave of covid here. And Comrade Wife only has the first shot of the Russian vaccine.

A bit of a side news but apparently the malaria vaccine is done and will be deployed in africa first. That is a huge nice step and will save many lives.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5870 on: October 07, 2021, 10:03:15 am »

Must have been why Trump was booed for suggesting getting vaxxed. All those left wingers at his rallies.

Did I say all anti-vax people were left-wing or did I say it's a thing across the spectrum?
Love, scriver~

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5871 on: October 07, 2021, 10:16:50 am »

There are idiots in any significant large group of people..
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5872 on: October 07, 2021, 12:17:37 pm »

I'm not sure about the "diet of worms" part though, I'm not familiar with that reference.

Well, the Diet Of Worms is an old (older than me!) British schoolboy 'joke' reference (a valid reference, but just sounds like an annelidivore lifestyle), that I doubt anybody who doesn't choose classics - or from very traditionalist educational establishments - even gets to giggle at, these days.

Myndighet does mean "authority", my first instinct was that it was related to mun, mouth (with the implication of "having a voice") but I had to look it before posting and it turns out it's related to mund, an archaic word for hand. It's built off of myndig (authority-related) and -het (directly translates to "-hood").[/i]
It doesn't sound like it's so closely related, and indeed it looks like the 'pun understanding' isn't even that coincidental. But I'll accept being right for the wrong reasons with the good grace[1] it deserves...

[1] <runs around yelling and hooting, waving flags and blowing air-horns in people's faces>  :P
« Last Edit: October 07, 2021, 12:21:40 pm by Starver »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5873 on: October 07, 2021, 12:32:21 pm »

We can tie a circle around it by arguing that because the "mund" from which "myndighet" is derived is so close to "mun" as in mouth, and one of our (slightly archaic) words for eating is "inmundiga" -- "to mouth-in" -- we arrive back at diet and that makes it right
Love, scriver~

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5874 on: October 07, 2021, 01:28:22 pm »

Myndighet sounds like mündigkeit which is being legally (or at least morally depending on context) in charge of something (like turning 18 or to have the right to sign legal documents for somebody who can't so usually children or very old people).

Mündigkeit does stem from mouth. So I guess myndighet can be counted as a false friend -> words that lend themselves towards incorrect interpretations.
let

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #5875 on: October 07, 2021, 01:30:06 pm »

I'm drowsy enough they both just look like a drunken mudkip. Nap sounds real nice right now...
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #5876 on: October 07, 2021, 01:52:35 pm »

Apparently we are going to have a third wave of covid here. And Comrade Wife only has the first shot of the Russian vaccine.

A bit of a side news but apparently the malaria vaccine is done and will be deployed in africa first. That is a huge nice step and will save many lives.

The malaria vaccine just approved by the WHO is an older project that is only likely to be about 40% effective. A priceless reduction, but not the gamechanger the MRNA project just might be
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5877 on: October 07, 2021, 03:32:45 pm »

I takee 40% less dead children any time of the week. Stirres, not shaken please.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5878 on: October 07, 2021, 05:52:55 pm »

On the rocks?
Love, scriver~

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #5879 on: October 07, 2021, 07:52:24 pm »

Did I say all anti-vax people were left-wing or did I say it's a thing across the spectrum?

This is quite salient. I think a lot of American anti-vax came from the health craze (particularly the scams; organics, health suppliments, holistics). I mean you brand an immunity as "all natural" and people will hop on it.

It bares mentioning the pro-Covid anti-vax stuff is of a different ilk. Those health nuts are probably abstaining, but there is a concerted effort by Republicans to legislate in favor of the virus (take a look at Florida). General anti-vaxxers are avoiding them to be "natural" and "healthy". The pro-covid stuff is much more rooted in mistrust of government. Although it is easy to blame Republicans for all of it, the anti-vax movement specifically started on the left (the new-age progressives) and has gotten a boost among the Right. My real fear is that the Right will continue the anti-vax train - rather than distrusting the covid vaccines, they could easily be persuaded to just avoid all vaccines. Honestly I don't understand the purpose of this. To what end is the anti-vax madness? Selling alternatives? Just straight-up doomsday cult? I don't know.
Pages: 1 ... 390 391 [392] 393 394 ... 459