Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 412 413 [414] 415 416 ... 459

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 423856 times)

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19:How COVID Stole Christmas Edition
« Reply #6195 on: December 30, 2021, 10:10:22 am »

Covid has a real knack for irony... Or is it the misinformation spreaders?

Here is a hot take: dominator culture has allways been addicted to cheap human ressources.
let

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6196 on: December 30, 2021, 08:24:46 pm »

https://twitter.com/jemelehill/status/1475728235539443714

That would make sense. I can't imagine any other reason they'd lower scientifically-proven quarantine times.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6197 on: December 30, 2021, 08:54:16 pm »

That would make sense. I can't imagine any other reason they'd lower scientifically-proven quarantine times.

You need a better imagination ;D

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6198 on: December 30, 2021, 10:48:29 pm »

I've been hearing these same pro-Covid mutterings over here. "I'm alright, everyone I know is alright, the only problem is the costs/staffing/businee-model/whatever and the only way to fix that is to have fewer precautions..."

Also "Omicron is half as likely[1] to send you to hospital...", without noting that if twice as many people catch this 'half as bad' strain, then you are back to where you started. And probably worse as twice as many carriers are spreading it faster into the remaining still-vulnerable population.

BTW, I have a bad cold right now. Doesn't really map to Covid symptoms, and not sure where it came from, but probably my general precautionary isolation has (until now, for whatever reason - I was last in a shop three days ago, masked of course, primarily for the sake of others) left me unexposed to 'training' colds and flus of the usual endemic varieties. More likely than even the devious Ο-variant getting past my fairly recently Boosted status. The worst bit is the running nose, as in 'doing a marathon dressed as a rhino(virus?)' running... Running backwards, at that. Yuck!

No opportunity (or reason) to grab an LFT, so this'll probably remain unconfirmed/un-ruled-out as anything 'of interest' by the point I naturally recover and next have reason to re-enter what remains of society.

[1] I think the current figures are quoted as "between 50 and 70% less likely to make you ill enough to need hospital treatment", but that's not necesarily the same as 'only' 30-50% of people will need hospitalisation (which is bad enough).

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6199 on: December 31, 2021, 01:34:33 pm »

Oh man I feel like such a grinch. I'd constantly been harping on about Covid precautions and getting vacced but it's finally happened; my younger sister, my father, older sister and her +1 all caught covid. The latter two fortunately got vaccinated with at least 1 dose before catching it, but living alongside them is perilous because they have difficulty following the simple rules needed to not spread it to me. Curiously one of my friends caught covid too, however he's been working from home and was very safe - he had to endlessly bollock his parents because after they tested positive they wanted to go on a walk and he was just furious that they were failing to do the bare minimum needed to protect other people. I feel like there's such a divided camp between those who are worried about poisoning relationships and those who are worried about poisoning people. So what if you're sure you feel fine - YOU ARE INFECTIOUS? WHY IS THIS DIFFICULT TO UNDERSTAND? STOP GOING OUTSIDE WHERE YOU CAN HURT SOMEONE ELSE. I DO NOT MAKE THE RULES, MOTHER NATURE DID D:<

It would be interesting to recap the types of vaccination and personal results (not for any medically rigorous meta-study reasons, but 'just for fun').
Dose 1 pfizer / I managed to get one of the doses destined for discard way early which was neat. Felt very little difference before and after.
Dose 2 pfizer / felt fine at first. After one day it felt like I had been held underwater for 5 minutes, then force-fed anti-seasickness pills. Struggled immensely to stay awake, and my arm hurt like hell at the administration site. Raised blood pressure +20mmHg. I didn't measure my blood pressure before 1st dose so idk if I had raised for 1st. Blood pressure returned to normal after a week and a half
Dose 3 pfizer / the actual administration of the dose was excruciatingly painful, as they must've dug into bone on top of the wiggling around they did. Whilst I was sure my arm would be bruised to hell after such an ordeal, I actually had more motion and less pain than dose 2. Slight fever but no other symptoms besides raised blood pressure +20mmHg. Blood pressure returned to normal after a week
« Last Edit: December 31, 2021, 01:44:55 pm by Loud Whispers »

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've been hearing these same pro-Covid mutterings over here. "I'm alright, everyone I know is alright, the only problem is the costs/staffing/businee-model/whatever and the only way to fix that is to have fewer precautions..."

Yep. https://twitter.com/laughingcat2016/status/1476380793689804803

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What happened to the conspiracy theory guy that was fun, hope he comes back.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile

I need takes from the baypool.

Yesterday I woke up and had a soreish, phlegmed up throat and the dreaded "I have a cold"-feeling in my body. I decided that I should probably go in to town and find a test, but unfortunately tests on Sundays is only available on the foremiddays so the time was already too late. I had to content myself to honeyed tea and wait.

So now it is today and I feel a lot better but not completely over it. But over the day yesterday I started second guessing my reaction as overreacting as I often do.I mean, I see basically no-one except my parents. All people who I might have gotten it from over Christmas-to-Newyears-Week had my parents there for the entire meetings. I don't have to leave the house for another tenday. I could basically just isolate myself away anyway.

So here I sit with my conscience telling me to do my civil duty and go but my worries saying that it would be stupid to go and risk having to stand in line with people who might have covid for a test and then find out that I was not covident but then I get covid because of going to get that test. And I hesitate.

I'm too indecisive to make decisions. Am I just overthinking it?
Love, scriver~

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile

If you’re not doing anything for 10 days I wouldn’t bother getting tested.

That does mean you can’t do anything for 10 days though.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

(I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not too sure...)

My reported probable-merely-sniffles has continued, but as its the first 'decent' seasonal cold-like-thing I've had for the better part of two whole years, it seems like my 'battle colds' skill is rusty, rather than anything else. And since Saturday (New Year's Day), Sunday (well, 'ts a Sunday, innit?) and Monday (Bank Holiday) are even more suppressed for essential services than the days leading up to New Year's Day, I've been ill-inclined (NPI!) to pester anyone.

Everyone I'm likely to come in contact with I have already come in contact with (as I have some I have no immediate plans to further mingle, like my cousin's kid's kid maybe 4-6 years old, who actually sneezed on me on Christmas Eve, thugh the onset took far too long to consider that as the key vector).

Tomorrow, I shall consider investigating my exact status, I think. Or just continue to play semi-hermit. The presumed-cold has subsided from its peak, but I still don't want to be potentially coughing and spluttering[1] in my few possible public appearances and already I've decided to cancel my long-pre-booked dental check-up tomorrow, as soon as there's anyone in reception to actually talk to and work out when it would be reasonable to reschedule to.

[1] Happens mostly when I'm sat still. Keeping moving, seems to offset that significantly.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

I need takes from the baypool.

Yesterday I woke up and had a soreish, phlegmed up throat and the dreaded "I have a cold"-feeling in my body. I decided that I should probably go in to town and find a test, but unfortunately tests on Sundays is only available on the foremiddays so the time was already too late. I had to content myself to honeyed tea and wait.

So now it is today and I feel a lot better but not completely over it. But over the day yesterday I started second guessing my reaction as overreacting as I often do.I mean, I see basically no-one except my parents. All people who I might have gotten it from over Christmas-to-Newyears-Week had my parents there for the entire meetings. I don't have to leave the house for another tenday. I could basically just isolate myself away anyway.

So here I sit with my conscience telling me to do my civil duty and go but my worries saying that it would be stupid to go and risk having to stand in line with people who might have covid for a test and then find out that I was not covident but then I get covid because of going to get that test. And I hesitate.

I'm too indecisive to make decisions. Am I just overthinking it?

Order some rapid test kits from Amazon?
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Nah I don't use Amazon but I've decided to go in tonight anyway. Hopefully there won't be any other people this late. Only problem now is whether or not they'll still have tests left when I get there ;)

If you’re not doing anything for 10 days I wouldn’t bother getting tested.

That does mean you can’t do anything for 10 days though.

I mean it's not like I do anything to begin with, I'm a terrible person ;)
Love, scriver~

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

I avoid Amazon too but your chances are probably better than hoping there are rapid test kits available at your pharmacy. My boss buys like bulks of 20 at a time....
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well they were out of tests and I hit a roe deer on my way back so I guess I should have stayed at home :(
Love, scriver~

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile

We covered our highway network in wildlife over- and underpasses just about everywhere where there are more than 5 trees nearby, because roe deer are notoriously stupid when it comes to avoiding 4-wheeled danger.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479
Pages: 1 ... 412 413 [414] 415 416 ... 459