Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 420 421 [422] 423 424 ... 459

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 421472 times)

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
Re: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19:New Year, New Variant Edition
« Reply #6315 on: January 18, 2022, 10:19:00 pm »

My whole tribe is vaxed already vect, we already did our part.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #6316 on: January 19, 2022, 12:14:28 am »

I've done about as well as I can on that front, I think (household, most immediate family, vaccinated twice and either boosted or planning on it), but the county I'm living in is sitting pretty at sub 40% vaccinated, so. Y'know.

Can't really expect much in a quick resolution when places like florida are cosplaying syphilitic plague pits :-\

... most of the discussion I've been hearing lately, local wise, has been a sort of "Well, everyone's going to get it at some point" type of deal. Nevermind it means with zero doubt the stateside death toll hits seven digits, considering the rate covid is partially or fully crippling people, I think that may be an even more horrible prospect than, say, another couple/few years of what we've been doing. If that sort of perspective actually pans out, we're talking millions, tens of millions of folks less able to entirely unable to take care of themselves in the US over a relatively short timeframe, and that is just going to be a staggering goddamn clusterfuck in the near future.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6317 on: January 19, 2022, 02:21:45 am »

*cough*?

The line for covid testing is over there.  ;)

Also, I did not know that.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6318 on: January 19, 2022, 03:22:01 am »

I knew about him from Crusader Kings 2 :P  It's embarrassing how much Euro-African history I learned that way.

And it pains me to think where/who I might be, right now, if we as a species had properly united against this threat.  The Watchmen comics were apparently too optimistic.  Particularly when sociopathic demagogues are around.

This cult shit took everything from me.  It drove a wedge between me and my RL friends, it drove me past the breaking point of acceptable alcoholism, and oh yeah it killed people in my life.  Not the virus.  The virus is simply a force of nature, and we were pretty well prepared for it in 2016.  A cult swooped in, threw out those plans, and destroyed all rational discourse.  It sustains the virus.

I don't mean Trump, Trump is just a focal point for this madness.  He's trying to take credit for the vaccines and the cult dropped him, because it was never about him.  He is as irrelevant as he always was.  There is a madness overtaking us in the Western World.  People are too well informed to simply be happy off the exploitation of the third world.  They seek some sort of justification for the inequality, and they land on globe-spanning... also, racist... conspiracies.  Because the simple truth is too painful.

I would love to go back two-three years and steel myself.  I'd tell myself to stick with strong people, and not to try to wait this out.  This wasn't the sort of issue I could hibernate through.  I thought people would unite against something like this.  Most people did, but so many people didn't.
I didn't.  I thought it would pass.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6319 on: January 19, 2022, 04:41:07 am »

Theatres around the country are protesting today.
They hired hairdressers to cut the hair of visitors.
While they are getting a haircut, they will be treated to stand up comedy and theatre.
They are protesting that our government re-opened shops, including contact-professions such as the hairdressers, gyms and prostitutes, but they haven't re-opened theatres and horeca.
When the police comes to shut them down they will say they are hairdressers.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6320 on: January 19, 2022, 05:23:01 am »

I don't know what a "horeca" is, but not re-opening theatres does make sense. A packed theatre is a significant vector of disease.

A hairdresser is generally one-to-one contact, and even normal hairdressing work has some protective measures, such as sterilizing/cleaning their tools. Granted, I can't say as much for gyms and prostitutes(although the latter one I would hope is the case).
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6321 on: January 19, 2022, 05:41:57 am »

Ho-re-ca is european for hotels-restaurants-catering

And theatres can open safely without packed crowds. Simply only let half or less of the normal people in (with proof of vaccin / negative test) and make them sit at separated chairs. Various test runs last year showed this can be done without being a significant vector of disease.

Stores and gyms, now that's where people are packed. And workplaces.

EDIT: Cultural centre 'de Balie' in Amsterdam went to the chamber of commerce to change their business from 'cultural centre' to 'ideological organisation'. Now they can open to the public just like churches.
The director commented: "Culture is essential to human beings. We thought it was really strange that people can come together and talk about a 2000 year old book, but they can't come together to talk about a book that was published last month".
« Last Edit: January 19, 2022, 06:01:18 am by martinuzz »

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6322 on: January 19, 2022, 08:23:06 am »

Not that I would normally suggest a single highlighted case is a good basis for changing one's mind, but given the low burden of proof often already accepted to be against taking precautions, this particular Æsop might be a useful salutory lesson for people.

(Also, one particular death a tragedy, many deaths merely a statistic, etc.)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6323 on: January 19, 2022, 04:25:00 pm »

31 Mayors of the largest cities in our country just sent a letter to the Volkskrant declaring they no longer support keeping horeca and culture sector closed, and ask our government to put the broader wellbeing of society in the first place, and corona on the second place.

I think our government will have no choice but listen to them.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6324 on: January 19, 2022, 04:35:36 pm »

I am become boosted
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6326 on: January 19, 2022, 05:37:53 pm »

My whole tribe is vaxed already vect, we already did our part.

hi-5s and cute little stickers for those who already succeeded in the challenge. my clan is also vaxxed and boosted. we are pleased and hopeful for the prosperity and continued success of other tribes.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6327 on: January 19, 2022, 05:54:31 pm »

31 Mayors of the largest cities in our country just sent a letter to the Volkskrant declaring they no longer support keeping horeca and culture sector closed, and ask our government to put the broader wellbeing of society in the first place, and corona on the second place.

I think our government will have no choice but listen to them.
Again, the pressures of "absolutely no longer than necessary" are exceeding the adherence to "at least as long as necessary".

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #6328 on: January 21, 2022, 12:34:54 pm »

Meanwhile, in Wisconsin...

Hospital is trying to file an injunction in court to stop most of their radiological intervention/trauma team from being hired by another hospital. Instead of, y'know, paying their staff properly, managing their hours better, or making their lives bearable in the second year of the pandemic, they're threatening legal action, arguing that the staff are obligated to provide critical care instead of the idea that they're, y'know, employed to provide critical care and are no longer required to do so when they're not longer employed.

Also, it's an at-will employment state, so the staff can literally just stop being employed by their own choice.

Welcome to America, where health care has profit margins that must be met and companies will take legal action to keep their staff burnt out and underpaid. Hooray.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6329 on: January 21, 2022, 05:59:39 pm »

Wow, medical serfs, instead of tied to a piece of land they are tied to a hospital.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!
Pages: 1 ... 420 421 [422] 423 424 ... 459