Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 47

Author Topic: Sh 2 [SG] Week 14  (Read 38476 times)

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sh 2 [SG] Week 8
« Reply #360 on: March 14, 2020, 07:21:50 pm »

You go to the dojo to finish off the week.  It's not the ideal time, with your leg hurting and all, but who knows when the ideal time will be?

Although you are slowed down noticeably by your wound, it isn't quite as bad as all that.  You do manage to pick up a few more tricks, and go over some of the things done in battle with your instructor, who doesn't seem that surprised that you'd have to defend yourself.

Anyway, you do feel you have learned something at the end of the week, although you don't think there is much more there to be learned here. the Wind school has some more advanced defensive techniques, and further training is available, but your dojo is a fairly low-end city dojo intended for beginning students.  Furthermore, they teach unarmed techniques.  Some things are fairly universal, but if you're fighting with a weapon, further unarmed instruction may not help much.

This week, you experience no dreams.

The weather continues fair with the flowers blossoming and the city full of sun and calm ocean breezes.

It's a good week for shopping and travelling, with the roads clear and a great many caravans and ships arriving.  The markets are full of goods, both mundane and exotic, in addition to more than the usual amount of travellers and rural folk, coming to the city for their annual purchases.  The city is full of action and there's much hustle and bustle going on, with people going about their business.

You have six actions available this week, as the weather is excellent and the city is full of people, so everything takes that much less time.

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sh 2 [SG] Week 7
« Reply #361 on: March 14, 2020, 07:46:49 pm »

I'd like to hear what others would suggest, but I thought it might make sense to get a referral from our current dojo for a more advanced studio that teaches a blade martial art, specifically something that would be appropriate for the type of blades we have.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 01:20:26 am by ZBridges »

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: March 14, 2020, 08:07:27 pm »

I'd like to hear what others would suggest, but I thought it might make sense to get a referral from our current dojo for a more advanced studio that teaches a blade martial art.

+1

Also: we need a sword. A nice longsword, perhaps, for all-purpose emergency murderizing.
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: March 14, 2020, 09:17:39 pm »

I'd like to hear what others would suggest, but I thought it might make sense to get a referral from our current dojo for a more advanced studio that teaches a blade martial art.

+1

Also: we need a sword. A nice longsword, perhaps, for all-purpose emergency murderizing.

don’t we have one?
let’s read about Instruction on an unknown magical field

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: March 14, 2020, 09:32:48 pm »

We've got a couple daggers. I'd like to have on hand something with a bit more reach.

klonk
Sigtext

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: March 15, 2020, 02:38:51 am »

+1

don’t we have one?
let’s read about Instruction on an unknown magical field
+1
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: March 15, 2020, 02:45:19 am »

We have two serviceable weapons, one of which is magical.  Do we really need more?
« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 03:01:34 am by ZBridges »

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: March 15, 2020, 03:00:55 am »

On a brutal realism front: knife-fighting is really dangerous. Unless this new dagger of ours turns out to be really unusually amazing, I want something long enough that we don't have to get into knife range in the first place.

On a heroic fantasy front: we're supposed to be a great hero, fit to break the forces of evil! T'would be only proper to employ the traditional weapon of such derring-doers.

On a shameless munchkin front: we're an adventurer. Why on earth would we not go about armed beyond all semblance of rationality?  :))

klonk
Sigtext

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: March 15, 2020, 03:02:20 am »

You don't fight the same way with a longsword as you would with a pair of knives.  Rather than accumulating more weapons and trying to learn how to use all of them, it makes more sense to me to learn how to use the weapons we already have.

A sword isn't particularly useful if you don't know how to use it effectively.

However, you might be right.  I think we should clear this up ahead of time.  GM: may I ask if there is a range bonus for using a sword in combat instead of a knife or two knives?  Similarly, does learning to use one type of blade give bonuses to wielding all types of blades?
« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 03:45:19 am by ZBridges »

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: March 15, 2020, 03:51:28 am »

There may be bonuses from using swords (or other weapons) in combat over knives, yes.  It isn't a range bonus.  Some skill bonuses may apply to other weapons, and some may not.  Your unarmed combat training is being applied to your knife fighting right now, for instance.

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: March 15, 2020, 03:57:44 am »

If I'm understanding correctly, the extra range that the sword provides, to keep us out of knife range, is not factored into the game.  There isn't a range bonus.

At this point we do not know if skill with a knife transfers over to skill with a longsword, but admittedly it is possible.  At this point it is premature to buy a sword, as we don't know if training with the sword would give us skill with the knife or vice versa.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: March 15, 2020, 04:04:47 am »

Weapons may have bonuses for being weapons.  It just isn't a 'range bonus'.  Many swords are a flat +1 to combat, for instance, just for being swords.  Your knife, for instance, is a weapon that gives no bonus, but it counts as being armed.

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: March 15, 2020, 04:07:20 am »

Fair enough.  In that case, I would support buying a sword.  Sorry for the misunderstanding.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 04:13:29 am by ZBridges »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: March 15, 2020, 04:20:34 am »

Fair enough.  In that case, I would support buying a sword.  Sorry for the misunderstanding.
+1 Sword time!
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: March 15, 2020, 09:58:55 am »

Why not a spear?
This unit is known to the state of california to occasionally misuse technical language.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 47