Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 47

Author Topic: Sh 2 [SG] Week 14  (Read 38473 times)

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sh 2 [SG] Week 13
« Reply #600 on: June 14, 2020, 04:42:39 pm »

Superior idea! Use this action to attempt to seduce that magical researcher, gaining more Favor!

You go and revisit your new friend, Bu Siro, trying to impress him further and get him willing to go along with another idea of yours in the future.

It goes pretty well.  You manage to not annoy his staff, who are basically his handlers, despite not providing them any money to help pay themselves or keep their principal alive.

With him.. well you find out that he's obsessed with magic.  Like really obsessed, and will happily spend hours working on esoteric problems and talking at great length about, well, everything.  Since you're going along for the ride instead of trying to direct him towards specific topics, you don't manage to learn anything specific.  It is good practice for effectively communicating with people, however.

{+1 favor with Bu Siro}

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 14, 2020, 04:52:51 pm by Devastator »

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: June 14, 2020, 04:54:50 pm »

Ask him to "sponsor" us in our quest by paying for tutoring for the language spoken in Mzulft.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: June 14, 2020, 04:58:39 pm »

We should also show him the "unknown magical field" in our journal. From the sounds of it, he would like to look at it.
If we do so we should probably give a few silver to his servants for his time, heh.
This unit is known to the state of california to occasionally misuse technical language.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: June 14, 2020, 04:58:55 pm »

You don't know how much that would cost, btw, so I'll just be seeing how much you can raise.

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: June 14, 2020, 05:03:40 pm »

Do people think we should we look into that first, with a planning action, before asking him?  Also I would be fine with asking him about the magical field.

IncompetentFortressMaker

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:MODDING:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: June 14, 2020, 05:04:33 pm »

Both
Ask him to "sponsor" us in our quest by paying for tutoring for the language spoken in Mzulft.
and
We should also show him the "unknown magical field" in our journal. From the sounds of it, he would like to look at it.
If we do so we should probably give a few silver to his servants for his time, heh.

seem good. So...
+1 to both I guess.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: June 14, 2020, 06:31:23 pm »

We need to pay him and his staff/handlers

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: June 15, 2020, 01:41:30 am »

Both
and

seem good. So...
+1 to both I guess.
+1
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: June 20, 2020, 11:15:18 pm »

both

It doesn't go well.

Well, the money doesn't go well.  After you talk about that, the two of you go through the townhome looking for money in all his usual 'stashes', while the servants obviously are making sure the two of you don't find any as you go through the rooms.  Eventually, one of them grabs you while another distracts him and asks you straight out what you want money for.  You don't think the truth will go over well, so you pull out your notes on the unknown magical field, and tell the servant that you got this new information from an old book you'd managed to uncover and copy notes from, and that doing so was expensive and time-consuming, so you were only looking for some compensation for your expenses.

This does get them to back off some, and Bu Siro comes over and gives you a single silver piece, before noticing your notes and excitedly taking you by the arm again, and towards a table where they can be spread out.

This part goes better.  The 'unknown magical field' is information on the manipulation of 'earth' energies.  These are described as energies that are tapped from the motion of the earth itself.. there is strain in the rocks that make up the planet, they are always moving, spinning, grinding against each other and such.  He also describes that there are tiny amounts of it available above the surface from the actions of the wind and dust.

It's a slow energy, he says.  You can get it in (eventually) significant quantities, but it takes a very long time to build up to any serious degree.  An example given is how someone wanted to use it for a mill, but a mill that only worked one day out of every sixty wasn't very useful.  A useful example is given from irrigation channels;  Many of them have assistance in moving from collection of earth energies, as they are only moved a few times a year.  And he does say that it can be discharged fine, so it's okay for energetic applications, it's just very slow to store up in the first place.

{-1 favor}
{+1 silver}

Bu Siro is an excellent teacher.  After some time with him, you feel confident that your future studies in magic will go much better.. you think you can finally understand some of the questions and answers that lie behind magic.  More specifically, the two of you go through at length more stuff about Earth magic specifically, and you feel that you could begin developing energy containment and manipulation runes that depend on it.

..well, you could, if you could also understand something about composition of said runes.  For as Bu Siro tells you, magic isn't just the water in the container, it is the container itself.  And talk about the materials runes can be made of is a lecture for another day... and ink is not metal wire which is not stone carving.

And with that, the week comes to an end.

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: June 20, 2020, 11:19:08 pm »

Cash is becoming something of a problem for us.
Is it time to consider taking up some form of sellsword work again?
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: June 21, 2020, 12:29:29 am »

Sigh.  Things have not been going well lately.  We definitely need more cash.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: June 21, 2020, 01:47:45 am »

I might recommend paying attention to the philosophy of Willie Sutton.

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: June 21, 2020, 04:01:06 am »

The Merchant Quarter is where the money is... We could attempt to join the City Watch, which is headquarted there, and try to extort bribes from criminals in return for looking the other way, or businesses in return for protection.  There may be more lucrative opportunities for employment as well, or we could rob wealthy people in the quarter.

Maybe we need a planning action to scope out what our options are there.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2020, 04:22:26 am by ZBridges »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: June 21, 2020, 05:58:44 am »

+1 To looking for a job in the Merchant Quarter.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

IncompetentFortressMaker

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:MODDING:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: June 21, 2020, 10:36:37 am »

(important note: not too familiar with how exactly this works) We should try to help out with miscellany jobs in the Merchant Quarter, perhaps. Things like accounting (that is, transaction recording, that kind o' thing) for busy merchants, or bookkeeping, or perhaps just cleaning for merchants who can't spare the time to do it themselves.
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 47