Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 49

Author Topic: SHADOW EMPIRE: Procedural Sci-fi 4x wargame - Kaiju Warning  (Read 78491 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
Re: SHADOW EMPIRE: Sci-fi 4x wargame on a procedurally generated world
« Reply #45 on: June 09, 2020, 09:18:28 am »

Ahh, right! Yeah I saw that text somewhere but couldn't find it again at a glance.   
Definitely thinking I might pick this up.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 09, 2020, 10:25:25 am »

When checking out it will list the game as download.  Right below is a check box to change it to physical+download.  Never saw an option for just physical.

Just got a nice bonus in my current game.  Activated an archive and it gave me Battledress (sealed power armor) before I even unlocked combat armor.  Now to build a heavy industry to produce machine parts, on this mineral poor and young world.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 09, 2020, 12:34:26 pm »

Yeah, I like the ways to get access to certain things early - while handy, they also illustrate that one isolated tech/unit up the tree is only so good on its own. Infrastructure feels kind of interdependent with resource requirements, and the occasional GR unit is great but needs to be treated like the priceless treasure it is.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 09, 2020, 12:43:11 pm »

the GR units are a great treat! It can be hard not to waste them or let them sit somewhere safe.

Speaking of which, I feel like I am constantly floundering for resources. Usually metals and IP, what do y'all build in the first few turns to get to the right foot?
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 09, 2020, 01:13:53 pm »

I've done a few early game iterations (in part thanks to the recent patches), and my quick take is that getting metal is definitely priority #1. If there's no metal resource or city ruins to 'recycle' near the starting point, then things become quite a bit more rough. If I recall, in the one game I lacked any nearby metal or ruins any I pushed to develop other resources (food & fuel) to trade for metal, but it was still relatively painful.

Go for the economic council first - in addition to researching needed infrastructure buildings, they're also in charge of prospecting your territory for resource nodes.

Initial IP production is enough to get by for a bit, but do try to save up for a first industry building before too long. Try to resist building roads if possible, as those costs easily add up over several turns - try to keep to existing roads for exploration to keep supply going okay.

Making your first army a bunch of footsloggers also reduces the industry costs compared to motorized troops. Early armor like APCs are tempting, but the IP investment is pretty huge and is probably better spent on infrastructure buildings (depending on one's military situation).

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 09, 2020, 02:08:12 pm »

Activated an archive and it gave me Battledress (sealed power armor) before I even unlocked combat armor.  Now to build a heavy industry to produce machine parts, on this mineral poor and young world.

Pffft, that's nothing. In my current game I'm maybe 15 turns in and an archive gave me fusion missiles. Not that I have the technical infrastructure to build them, of course. I also got a GR tacnuke mobile rocket launcher (which ofc I can't reload, so it's one and done). The RNG seems to be not-so-subtly making suggestions as to how I should be looking at the world...

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 09, 2020, 05:11:57 pm »

Looks like upcoming 1.02 patch tomorrow (or now if you download the beta patch released today) will ruin the archive late-game-tech fun  :P

-Increased the cost of the Ancient Archive Fate Stratagem from 2 FP to 4 FP *
-Ancient Archive and other random Tech picks are now limited to Tech Groups you have access too. I am sorry some people liked this, but it was really more overpowered than intended.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 09, 2020, 05:27:51 pm »

Yeah, I got this too, couldn't resist. It is great.

My only complaint so far (other than barebones diplomacy and sometimes weird internal politics) is that the fate point economy is quite unbalanced. I've received fate cards that cost 5 points and only give you a feat you can add to one unit. That feat can be destroyed in combat with bad RNG. Compare that to, say, receiving ten robotic walkers with 1 FP or kickstarting private industry with 2 FP.

I really don't see a situation where I'd pay that many FP to boost one unit in a way where I could lose the investment immediately.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 09, 2020, 08:37:33 pm »

Saw all you fine people praising this, so I went and bought it. What a gem!

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 10, 2020, 01:07:19 am »

So how does the militia reinforcement actually work? I've had new cities build new militia units on their own. But my original city has these lame duck units that don't get reinforced. For example, I have a division of motorized infantry that lost their trucks and MGs, leaving 100 rifle militia. The division doesn't seem to get any replacements. I was under the impression militia units would reinforce on their own, including replacing lost sub-units inside the divisions. I'm wondering if this is working as intended or if there is a bug or if I'm doing something wrong.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 10, 2020, 01:48:39 am »

So how does the militia reinforcement actually work? I've had new cities build new militia units on their own. But my original city has these lame duck units that don't get reinforced. For example, I have a division of motorized infantry that lost their trucks and MGs, leaving 100 rifle militia. The division doesn't seem to get any replacements. I was under the impression militia units would reinforce on their own, including replacing lost sub-units inside the divisions. I'm wondering if this is working as intended or if there is a bug or if I'm doing something wrong.

Click the militancy button (the fist) at the bottom of the zone the militia originates from, and you'll get details of its resources including how much reserves they have left to work with. The manual notes that if different zones within an SHQ share a culture, however, then they'll share reinforcements with each other.

Generally speaking, raising a standing military lowers militancy (just in the zone originated from? not sure on that) which means that eventually they'll run very low on volunteers and equipment. Roughly page 167 of the illustrated manual has a bit of detail on that. For example, my capitol once had high militancy and a militia over 12,000 strong, but now their militancy is rock-bottom and they have only a pittance of reserves and reserves. One part I'm unsure about is whether going over the max manpower level means that they won't field any replacements until they go back under it, as opposed to just not raising any new formations.

Various pro-militia stratagems (e.g. pumping them with cash) can help raise the rating, along with various events. Or possibly getting your militia destroyed?

There's also logistics limitations, of course, as militia do seem to use your own network.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 10, 2020, 02:19:20 am »

Thanks, but it seems militia has reserves. I have a depleted division sitting in my original capital, so logistics network or different zone shouldn't be an issue either. The depleted units are original militia with improvised buggies and whatnot, I wonder if that matters. It would suck if I'd need to get divisions killed intentionally to have them replaced. Now I just keep those divisions back as city guards.

( Tchey )

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://jeux1d100.net/
« Reply #57 on: June 10, 2020, 05:45:24 am »

Hello,

I know this forum is filled with genius, so maybe someone has managed to run the game on a PC Linux via WINE or something ?

Thanks for sharing your knowledge and wisdom.

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 10, 2020, 08:11:05 am »

For those of you who haven't been using the beta patches - Patch 1.02 has officially dropped but apparently there is an issue with the autopatcher this time around: people should get the update here!: https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4827870

After this update it should auto-detect new stable branch updates.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 10, 2020, 11:53:11 am »

Just to make sure I didn't miss something - no naval units/logistics whatsoever, right?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 49