Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 49

Author Topic: SHADOW EMPIRE: Procedural Sci-fi 4x wargame - Kaiju Warning  (Read 79086 times)

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
Re: SHADOW EMPIRE: Sci-fi 4x wargame on a procedurally generated world
« Reply #180 on: June 16, 2020, 05:51:04 pm »

Can HQ stances be removed?

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: June 16, 2020, 06:11:39 pm »

27m tall trench rats, though.

dunno a 3m rat seems more scary, a human will barely register interest in a colossal creature while a 3m rat can decide to attack because it feels threatened and can fit in any place you might find shelter against a larger creature

sunrakhan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: June 16, 2020, 06:28:12 pm »

Can HQ stances be removed?

Yes, in the OHQ's Unit Admin screen.
I only know it because I asked and somebody else told me. Now my debt is paid off, and it is your turn to spread the knowledge.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: June 16, 2020, 07:12:59 pm »

Are these "heavy tanks" truly the highest class of tank? I recall reading in the manual about so-called "monitor tanks". One can only imagine.
Well, they are on the unit tree, but I've never seen one, so I can't say for sure they exist.
The GR Cataphracts you can sometimes find in settlements are monitor tanks, iirc.

Research: The Monitor Tank requires the Extreme Vehicles tech, which is found in the Heavy Machinery Tech group, which is dependent on Machinery, Engineering, and Basic Tech Groups.  You could sort of steer towards it specifically by always prioritizing techs in those groups over all other techs, maximizing research when one of those techs is available and maximizing discovery when the available options aren't one of the three in the next highest group in that sequence.  Probably not worth it from a tactical standpoint, since they're basically competing with nukes.

EDIT: Anyone know how to review stratagems without actually having them available to play?  I'm suspecting that the Covert Ops is basically useless against non-city minor regimes, but can't be sure unless I'm able to find out what all their stratagems actually DO.  And they vary based upon whether the player regime has gone Autocratic, Meritocratic, or Democratic.  So three very different options there, requiring three different and involved playthroughs just to answer what should be a fairly simple question.  I've noticed the stratagems are pretty straightforward when you have the card info text that appears in-game under the stratagem, but the text on the stratagem itself can be downright misleading.

Vivalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: June 17, 2020, 02:23:00 am »

Finally got what can be called a easy start.  Start is right on the south edge, so have access to infinite water from the never melting snow.  Warm world so farming is viable not far from the snow line.  Perfect native life, no dangerous animals. 

Right next to you is a peninsula with 2 farmers on it, you trap them in making them easy targets.  North is a bunch of friendly farmers.  West is Arachnids, but 40 turns in and I haven't seen one try and cross the 8 tile wide mountain.

Finlay made contact with a major around turn 34.  Only border is a 1 tile wide land bridge.  Also they were immediately friendly and started trade right away.

On the way to the major was a small series of ruins.  3 sitting on top of fuel deposits, and at least one has artifacts.

You found a peaceful major? Every major I've found have been either genocidal assholes or extortionists.

Are these "heavy tanks" truly the highest class of tank? I recall reading in the manual about so-called "monitor tanks". One can only imagine.
Well, they are on the unit tree, but I've never seen one, so I can't say for sure they exist.
The GR Cataphracts you can sometimes find in settlements are monitor tanks, iirc.

Research: The Monitor Tank requires the Extreme Vehicles tech, which is found in the Heavy Machinery Tech group, which is dependent on Machinery, Engineering, and Basic Tech Groups.  You could sort of steer towards it specifically by always prioritizing techs in those groups over all other techs, maximizing research when one of those techs is available and maximizing discovery when the available options aren't one of the three in the next highest group in that sequence.  Probably not worth it from a tactical standpoint, since they're basically competing with nukes.

EDIT: Anyone know how to review stratagems without actually having them available to play?  I'm suspecting that the Covert Ops is basically useless against non-city minor regimes, but can't be sure unless I'm able to find out what all their stratagems actually DO.  And they vary based upon whether the player regime has gone Autocratic, Meritocratic, or Democratic.  So three very different options there, requiring three different and involved playthroughs just to answer what should be a fairly simple question.  I've noticed the stratagems are pretty straightforward when you have the card info text that appears in-game under the stratagem, but the text on the stratagem itself can be downright misleading.

Nice, when I inevitably get overrun in my current game, my next milestone is a 20 billion pop ruin world where I rush monitor tanks and power them with hundreds of tiles of recyclers.
"On two occasions I have been asked,—"Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
- Charles Babbage

The Imperial Question | Stranded Among Stars

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: June 17, 2020, 09:45:04 am »

I found a 30% discount code and I've soo many questions.

but first: is there a proper way to exit? I've had to alt+f4 out of it and idk if that saved anything

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: June 17, 2020, 09:59:34 am »

The game autosaves at end of turn. You can save manually in the same menu from which you can quit - in the preferences (cog icon, F1).

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: June 17, 2020, 10:34:19 am »

but first: is there a proper way to exit? I've had to alt+f4 out of it and idk if that saved anything
Where did you find it?
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: June 17, 2020, 11:13:46 am »

Where did you find it?

I missed the official discount and I remember I got an email "you've been there 6 years here a small gift" and lo and behold it was a coupon, I lucked out.

looked like this, if you have an account maybe you have something floating around without even realizing like I had
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

edit: checking out I got mails from 4 and 5 years too. dunno what's inside or if the coupon are transferable, hit me up in pms if you feel adventurous and want to give it a chance. no guarantees!

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: June 17, 2020, 11:16:11 am »

You found a peaceful major? Every major I've found have been either genocidal assholes or extortionists.

All 3 flavors of Republic major can be friendly, only one will never ally.  Only one of the Theocratic major type will never ally, friendliness of the three is variable.  One of the Militarist can be friendly, can be.  One other might not be overtly hostile.  None of the Militarist will ally.

The Major I first met was a Syndic Republic, so friendly but no ally.  I'm manipulating their politics to change their ruling party to be a possible ally.  Once allied you can win cooperatively.

Edit: I'm afraid to see what kind of collateral damage my 360 heavy rocket launchers will do to this raider city.  I've seen 180 of my rocket launchers kill so many raiders and their tanks with just a single volley, while they were fortified in mountains.

Edit Edit:  Now I got a spaghetti nest of a territory map with that Republic major.  I took the raiders capitol, while they were at war with the Republic.  The raiders had nearly taken a whole zone and it's city.  Now I have a ton of good salvage sites woven around their city.  What a mess.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2020, 12:07:12 pm by Shooer »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: June 17, 2020, 02:38:21 pm »

All 3 flavors of Republic major can be friendly, only one will never ally.  Only one of the Theocratic major type will never ally, friendliness of the three is variable.  One of the Militarist can be friendly, can be.  One other might not be overtly hostile.  None of the Militarist will ally.

The Major I first met was a Syndic Republic, so friendly but no ally.  I'm manipulating their politics to change their ruling party to be a possible ally.  Once allied you can win cooperatively.

Edit: I'm afraid to see what kind of collateral damage my 360 heavy rocket launchers will do to this raider city.  I've seen 180 of my rocket launchers kill so many raiders and their tanks with just a single volley, while they were fortified in mountains.

Edit Edit:  Now I got a spaghetti nest of a territory map with that Republic major.  I took the raiders capitol, while they were at war with the Republic.  The raiders had nearly taken a whole zone and it's city.  Now I have a ton of good salvage sites woven around their city.  What a mess.

I'm reasonably sure that Majors are generally nice to you if you are stronger and are mean if you are significantly weaker.  They tend to take a wait-and-see approach if you are on basically equal footing.  They've usually been Friendly when I first encounter them early in the game, for example.

I also suspect that your country's politics in relation is also a significant factor.  Shooer, what sort of regime do you have?

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: June 17, 2020, 03:27:26 pm »

Meri/Demo (Switching every few turns, right now tied at the same value)
Commerce
Mind

Leading faction is
Meritocracy
Enforcement
Mind

Pretty easy to keep mind factions happy "Hey, you know how we are progressing technologically?  We DEMAND that you keep doing that."

Now at war with a militant major.  They declared war when they took some of the disconnected spaghetti.  Jokes on them, I have 950 light tanks, 360 heavy rockets and an amount of mixed infantry sitting bored after taking the raiders that can all be aimed at their heartland.  Also a tech advantage with heavy combat armor and replacement tanks coming up with polymer armor.

Second main force of mine is getting ready to set a border with another militant major.  70k troops (more pop than I have in two zones), 250 medium tanks(polymer armor), and 50 conventional missile launchers.  Building more launchers soon, plan is to just destroy any of their structures in range from the border if they attack.  Total war.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: June 17, 2020, 04:18:19 pm »

So I had forgotten that fuel efficiency is one of the possible linear techs - makes fielding diesel heavy tanks quite a bit more reasonable, as getting into the 60s on it cuts fuel costs by more than half.

I wish there was an easier way to assign special units to troops. Having to insert them one at a time into a new formation of 5 units is rather a pain.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: June 17, 2020, 04:33:44 pm »

I wish there was an easier way to assign special units to troops. Having to insert them one at a time into a new formation of 5 units is rather a pain.
What do you mean?

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: June 17, 2020, 05:03:39 pm »

Takes way to many clicks to assign priests to a newly created army.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 49