Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 49

Author Topic: SHADOW EMPIRE: Procedural Sci-fi 4x wargame - Kaiju Warning  (Read 79069 times)

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SHADOW EMPIRE: Sci-fi 4x wargame on a procedurally generated world
« Reply #225 on: June 20, 2020, 04:11:23 am »

Upkeep is soldier salary, which is set with other salaries (i.e., call your Secretary).

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: June 20, 2020, 08:44:24 am »

Upkeep is soldier salary, which is set with other salaries (i.e., call your Secretary).

jesus I've taken up gaming as a hobby because I hate interacting with people and now this, simulated conference calls XD

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: June 20, 2020, 11:03:49 am »

There's also the food all your recruits eat, and the logistics that uses.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: June 20, 2020, 11:12:40 am »

As well as ammo/energy if they fight and fuel/energy if they travel, if we're being thorough. I suppose if the unit is a robot they might take energy as upkeep instead of food, for that matter.

On a related-ish note, let me voice my irritation that if you have a nice full nutrition alien biomatter world with forests, etc. but no surface water/rainfall (i.e., non-water-based plants) you still can't build xeno agriculture b/c it's "too arid for farming". Grr...
« Last Edit: June 20, 2020, 11:15:44 am by E. Albright »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: June 20, 2020, 06:01:28 pm »

Even if it's not the least pleasant world I've generated, this has to be one of the most viscerally unsettling ones I've seen...

Spoiler: Note: not lava (click to show/hide)

Did you finally find Alpha Centauri?

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: June 20, 2020, 06:25:04 pm »

Eh, bummer. Now that I'm starting to feel like I've got the game figured out, it seems to have lost much of its allure. Still, a good couple weeks of fun.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: June 20, 2020, 09:12:31 pm »

At least 180 conventional missiles don't seem to wipe out a medium-large city.  In one shot.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Only 11k more machine gun troops to displace from it.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: June 20, 2020, 11:31:14 pm »

Eh, bummer. Now that I'm starting to feel like I've got the game figured out, it seems to have lost much of its allure. Still, a good couple weeks of fun.

In that case, maybe you can comment on whether or not Arachnids are soft or hard targets, or to what degree that makes sense.

I was going to save this for multiplayer, but what is the "best" first light tank design?  I was thinking a Small Engine, 20mm Cannon, 25mm Armour, hope the design roll doesn't go on the heavy side.

Are Recon Buggy rushes the end-all-be-all?  With the first model design being to upgrade the Armour to 25mm, so they don't have to be replaced so often?

Note: For the test game that I ran in order to find out that "second level of armour" is 25mm, I rolled the City of Seattle in ruins with post-apocalyptic troops in Environmental Suits.  I feel like somebody made this game before...

Vivalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: June 21, 2020, 01:47:50 am »

At least for caliber, I've noticed the higher caliber guns weigh more, and use more ammo per firepower compared to lower caliber, but cost less per firepower. That and there's a massive exponential decrease to attack power when you're attacking with a caliber of weapon below that of what the armor you're attacking has.

e.g. if an RPG and a infantry with a rifle had the same hard attack damage, the RPG would have much higher chance of killing a tank, because it has a higher "caliber"
"On two occasions I have been asked,—"Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
- Charles Babbage

The Imperial Question | Stranded Among Stars

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: June 21, 2020, 12:20:49 pm »

Are Recon Buggy rushes the end-all-be-all?

I don't really have a multiplayer mindset so I may well be missing something obvious, but while buggies are great on paper they do have some limitations in practice:

a) When it comes to operating outside friendly territory, logistics (of course).

b) Buggies don't really have effective options when it comes to OHQ usage. As far as I know there aren't any buggy-centric (or even buggy-at-all?) OHQ formations, which means at the most having your 2 integrated-independent detachments for every OHQ. But even then OHQ bonuses only apply in a relatively close distance to the commander, so it'd have to be a (likely expensive) mobile formation to begin with.

Why is OHQ so important? Not only can postures make a big difference, but the overall OHQ skills can yield multiple times the effective strength (e.g. +300%!) for units under them. This isn't something you'll notice against non-aligned forces and minors since they don't have commanders, but non-integrated independent groups do seem to falter against an OHQ formation with a decent commander.

At least for caliber, I've noticed the higher caliber guns weigh more, and use more ammo per firepower compared to lower caliber, but cost less per firepower. That and there's a massive exponential decrease to attack power when you're attacking with a caliber of weapon below that of what the armor you're attacking has.

e.g. if an RPG and a infantry with a rifle had the same hard attack damage, the RPG would have much higher chance of killing a tank, because it has a higher "caliber"

For some detail on this, see page 322 of the manual. Generic small arms count as 20mm, which means 25mm armor has further advantages than just the health numbers compared to minimal 5mm.

(Also note that combat armor counts as 40mm, meaning it gets a pretty major boost against small arms compared to padded armor.)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: June 21, 2020, 07:46:34 pm »

Wowww, I think I've worked out why I was having such issues with attacking the unaligned twerps near my home city. A lot of the terrain around here seems to be really mountainous (read: high mountains), which most of my rag-tag units can't even travel on, apparently. Perhaps only my ranged units and artillery were able to attack, though even that seems hit-and-miss. Not entirely sure what I'm supposed to do about this, since y'all were talking about encircling enemy forces and it turns out my start is mostly enclosed by these bloody high mountains. :-\   
I'm guessing you can build specific units/vehicles that are capable of mountain travel, but I'm having enough trouble figuring out how to produce anything, haha.   

Oh well, I am learning, albeit slowly. Thanks to whoever recommend the Dastactics videos; at first I was like "uhhh, which videos? I don't wanna watch an LP" but then I found the tutorial, skipped a few videos about metagamey strategies and world generation, and am now onto episode five, Turn One Decisions.   
Already I've learned how to show/hide units and use the strategic map. I've a long way to go, but maybe New Regalio won't fail quite as totally as expected.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

A Thing

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm here for ya, kid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: June 21, 2020, 08:17:56 pm »

Posting to watch since I picked this up.

By the way, I saw it mentioned on the second page but I didn't see anything else, so I'll mention that this game is sort of based off of VR Designs (dev of this and AT:G) randomly generated WW2 game Advanced Tactics: Gold. Saw DasTactics mentioned and remembered his tutorials on that. Never got far in it, but it seemed really good. Check that out if that sounds cool, I think it's pretty moddable so it's not just WW2 stuff; I mean the combat engine is similar to this game after all.
Wasteland 1 & 2
"Power Couple: Markus Athing & Cyborg 45"

Makes me curious, can cyborgs have future babies too?
On the offchance they can, I know who I want my daddy to be
(finished)Age of Decadence

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: June 21, 2020, 08:23:11 pm »

@Yoink: Only infantry (and walkers) can move over roadless mountains, so if you have any trucks or buggies in the unit they won't be able to enter.

Sime

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: June 22, 2020, 01:45:42 pm »

Wowww, I think I've worked out why I was having such issues with attacking the unaligned twerps near my home city. A lot of the terrain around here seems to be really mountainous (read: high mountains), which most of my rag-tag units can't even travel on, apparently. Perhaps only my ranged units and artillery were able to attack, though even that seems hit-and-miss. Not entirely sure what I'm supposed to do about this, since y'all were talking about encircling enemy forces and it turns out my start is mostly enclosed by these bloody high mountains. :-\   
I'm guessing you can build specific units/vehicles that are capable of mountain travel, but I'm having enough trouble figuring out how to produce anything, haha.   

Oh well, I am learning, albeit slowly. Thanks to whoever recommend the Dastactics videos; at first I was like "uhhh, which videos? I don't wanna watch an LP" but then I found the tutorial, skipped a few videos about metagamey strategies and world generation, and am now onto episode five, Turn One Decisions.   
Already I've learned how to show/hide units and use the strategic map. I've a long way to go, but maybe New Regalio won't fail quite as totally as expected.   

I get the impression that the learning curve is steep for non-wargamers who aren't used to the logistics and wargaming of slitherine titles.   

Since I'm currently learning the three Gary Grigsby's war in the X games in parallel as a break from studying the Haskell programming language,  I think i'll defer SE for a bit. 

Wieniawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: June 22, 2020, 06:43:23 pm »

It’s way better than Civilisation and Paradox games. Must buy.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 49