Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 73

Author Topic: The Cataclysm games thread.  (Read 105316 times)

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: The Cataclysm games thread.
« Reply #585 on: March 31, 2022, 12:00:03 am »

This is going to sound dumb, but I swear I've noticed in mod JSON stuff that structure seems to change in a few arbitrary ways that don't seem like they're useful. Is this one of those situations, even with the benefit this is adding?

It's a case where the basic concept of what they want to add is useful, but the way it's being added basically breaks shit. Here's a self-PR set aside for updating Arcana when it's merged. Sim was fairly helpful for explaining how it works, but it took compile-testing his PR's branch to realize that it still breaks certain things in a way there really is no easy fix for.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: March 31, 2022, 01:44:49 am »

It's almost as if they don't want people to mod the game anymore.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: March 31, 2022, 11:01:14 am »

It's almost as if they don't want people to mod the game anymore.

Mood. That said, I've long since had several other reasons why I probably should create bonus patchmods for mod-compatibility stuff, this just adds "a feature I already implemented in a less clunky way" to the list.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: April 01, 2022, 12:12:41 am »

...And thus, the crown of Defender of Cataclysm: DDA passes unto Random_Dragon.  The way it always does: by default.

Now offering a pool on how long this Defender lasts:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: April 01, 2022, 01:21:52 am »

...And thus, the crown of Defender of Cataclysm: DDA passes unto Random_Dragon.  The way it always does: by default.

Dare I ask crown in what sense? Like what, I'm officially the guy in charge of arguing in favor of DDA? :V

Really weird to become the defender of a project I've been kicked out of, whose dev team has made every effort possible to undermine my will to continue maintaining my mods for their version of the game, cultivating a community where Kevin and I simply cannot be allowed to exist in the same area or we'll be acting like absolute children towards each other within the hour. I mean sure, the fact I haven't given up on Cataclysm and its community as a whole, especially before BN became a thing, can I guess be traced back to "I still actually care about DDA despite my endless criticism, because and criticizing its flaws is a necessary part of encouraging it to change for the better" I guess.

However, at least part of that is because to this day I still feel personally responsible for the mods and other contributions I wrote, and the fact that people still enjoy the DDA versions of my mods are basically the main reason I don't make my mods all BN-only. If it were all just for my own sake, I no longer have any reason to feel as though letting go of DDA means giving up on a project I've been putting passion and effort into (as a contributor AND as a modder) since 2015. It's a mere 3 days away from it being officially 7 years since my first PR, in fact.

BN is slowly but steadily thriving, and its development retains the same spirit that captivated me for the first half of that long year, ever since I first publicly released what would later become More Survival Tools and Medieval And Historic Content, in response to which I was talked into trying out github and PRing it to become a part of the game itself. So really the only thing keeping me tied to DDA in any way anymore is the feeling that people still enjoy what I've been working on for (considering MST and Medieval mod's pre-release origins) over 7 years, both with BN and with DDA.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: April 01, 2022, 04:56:08 am »

Kudos to you for managing to keep your mods working in those 2 games.
But i imagine with time it's going to get more difficult as the code base may start to diverge more and more.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: April 01, 2022, 05:33:42 am »

They made a script for automatically fixing itemgroups. Shouldn't be an issue if you pay attention.

Also hey, I'm the Designated DDA Defender here!
« Last Edit: April 01, 2022, 05:36:40 am by KittyTac »
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: April 01, 2022, 12:16:52 pm »

Say whatever about DDA devs (I like them, personally), I like the DDA community more. Less """free speech""" in the community Discord. They ban the far-right for existing and that's based.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: April 01, 2022, 03:12:14 pm »

I'm with DDA because I like pockets. I am not likely to switch to BN because they are, so far as I can tell, explicitly against pockets.

I'm in both discords because I'm an itinerant programmer who likes mucking with things too much. I've contributed some to DDA, but mostly in internals stuff that BN's probably already picked up on.

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: April 01, 2022, 05:21:24 pm »

What is BN?

Edit: I see, Bright Night. Is there a wiki for this version already?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2022, 05:58:25 pm by Ygdrad »
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: April 01, 2022, 08:09:16 pm »

What is BN?

The github pages for it has some info but if you mean like the chezzo DDA wiki that's immensely outdated, no.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: April 02, 2022, 08:40:52 am »

What is BN?

The github pages for it has some info but if you mean like the chezzo DDA wiki that's immensely outdated, no.
Mostly, the old outdated chezzo DDA wiki is applicable to Bright Night as well. Probably about as relevant as it is to DDA...

Most of BN's changes don't affect the base game that the wiki describes.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: April 06, 2022, 04:18:25 pm »

speaking of DDA

I managed to get a bug fixed that's apparently been around for a relatively short while that seems like . It is at least a bit satisfying to see that I at least got SOME annoyance of mine fixed :P

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: April 09, 2022, 10:02:20 pm »

Soon mutations are getting a big rework in DDA, basically every path will be buffed and have some kind of gimmick, like Lupine getting combat buffs if near other Lupine NPCs, Beast getting a berserk ability, Elf-A getting pollen that can control NPCs, Plant getting the ability to grow vehicles out of wood, etc. Mylie best dev.

I'm excited.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: April 10, 2022, 02:16:04 am »

Plant getting the ability to grow vehicles out of wood

Oh my lost youth
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K0SzFIf4A
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 73