Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 73

Author Topic: The Cataclysm games thread.  (Read 105317 times)

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: The Cataclysm games thread.
« Reply #960 on: March 04, 2023, 01:05:12 pm »

Overall, I have complaints about 0.G in its current form.  I feel like it makes the game needlessly harder.

Welcome to why a lot of people have switched to BN. :D

It's not even really harder so much as just more tedious, in most cases.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #961 on: March 04, 2023, 05:54:05 pm »

Overall, I have complaints about 0.G in its current form.  I feel like it makes the game needlessly harder.

Welcome to why a lot of people have switched to BN. :D

It's not even really harder so much as just more tedious, in most cases.
Well, I was playing a Cybernetic Monster, so anything that costs more time is the Enemy.  Reasonably sure the guy is doomed, since I have to actually make electronics stuff to increase electronics, I don't have skill books for Medicine or Mechanics/Computers, my head is severely injured, and I don't have a decent helmet.  I might be able to get a Pot Helmet in the next raid, and I started with some medical knowledge plus I've been using that skill, but I'm one good blow to the head from dead.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #962 on: March 04, 2023, 08:04:35 pm »

Could someone give me some advice on swiming? Its the greatest hurdle to an Aircraft Carrier start (although I hear a lifeboat is also possible).

Strip naked and you can swim always. Honestly just reset until the carrier is close to shore. Best advice for your guy is to try and swim to land to find those books... and find the Exodii so they can remove your bad CBMs. Drop your loot if you must, you can come back with a boat.

And lmao, if BN is as easy/power-fantasy as old CDDA I'm definitely not giving it another try. The game is too easy for me. Valid to think the new direction is too hard but for veteran players like me it's really not and more difficulty is welcome. I don't think it's any more tedious than 0.D when I started, at worst the tedium was moved around. Perhaps BN is less so but I am a weirdo who likes realism.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #963 on: March 04, 2023, 08:19:06 pm »

Isn't there some hardcore difficulty mod somewhere, usually for nearly every game in existence there's always a mod that is created with extreme level of difficulty as a goal.

If there's no such thing, you can always create your own challenge if the game is too easy for you, in the same way player in nethack following conducts and unofficial conducts ( https://nethack.fandom.com/wiki/Conduct and https://nethack.fandom.com/wiki/Unofficial_conduct )
And with your own choice with stats distribution, negative traits and starting scenario, it's also easier in CBN and CDDA to create a character that chances of seeing the next week are extremely low :D

Though calling CDDA "realism" when comparing to CBN is a big stretch over the definition of the word as i don't see how it being any more realistic than CBN, all both games are doing are using some different rules for several of the gameplay mechanics.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2023, 08:22:31 pm by Robsoie »

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #964 on: March 04, 2023, 08:28:45 pm »

Well there probably is one but generally that kind of mod isn't as good quality as the game being tuned to being that. And I prefer a gradual struggle over challenge scenarios or taking a ton of negative traits which usually leads to smooth sailing after you overcome them. It's not about starts being harder, it's about surviving itself being harder. Which it is still too easy in DDA but we're working on it. :P Can't wait for the wound rework.

And really by realism I (and honestly the devs too) mean "verisimilitude" but realism is just easier to spell. It means things acting like they would IRL, even if they don't exist. Which is the opposite of abstracting and "gamifying" mechanics. Which I appreciate, few games really commit themselves to that, if I wanted to play a more abstracted survival game I'd play one of the million other games on the market. I don't think BN is a bad game or anything, it's just... not for me you know?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2023, 08:30:44 pm by KittyTac »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #965 on: March 04, 2023, 09:01:00 pm »

Considering in 0.G you can start with ALL the addictions, plenty of ways to create "Hardmode"

Burning House + Naked + All the Addictions = FUN TIME

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #966 on: March 05, 2023, 05:02:47 am »

I always found that starting with no skills makes the game harder in the beginning, why spend my limited points on something I can get in game anyway?

Also turning up the spawn rate helps up the difficulty as well.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #967 on: March 05, 2023, 04:51:31 pm »

I always found that starting with no skills makes the game harder in the beginning, why spend my limited points on something I can get in game anyway?

Also turning up the spawn rate helps up the difficulty as well.

The newest version has difficulty sliders.

14 all stats is the way to go, sacrifice everything for this!

...I usually prioritize a start that gives me a Gun. They're no stealth weapons, and they usually get me into trouble that I can't get out, but they're FUN.
More seriously, guns are good panic weapons for when your stats are down due to pain and injury.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #968 on: March 06, 2023, 05:07:44 am »

Who needs difficulty sliders when you can make it as hard as you require just by messing with some options.

Also taking the trait that makes the healing rate almost nonexistent is the one I always take.

14 all stats is the way to go, sacrifice everything for this!

...I usually prioritize a start that gives me a Gun.
This is the way, you are one who follows the true path.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

teoleo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #969 on: March 06, 2023, 09:56:01 am »

the cataclysm launcher don't work with the G version?

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #970 on: March 06, 2023, 08:49:51 pm »

the cataclysm launcher don't work with the G version?
Update it.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #971 on: March 07, 2023, 04:31:39 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

testing newest release. I spawned in some kind of library... all the books were shelved on a single bookcase. literally every single book in the damn building. dear lord.

And really by realism I (and honestly the devs too) mean "verisimilitude" but realism is just easier to spell. It means things acting like they would IRL, even if they don't exist. Which is the opposite of abstracting and "gamifying" mechanics. Which I appreciate, few games really commit themselves to that, if I wanted to play a more abstracted survival game I'd play one of the million other games on the market. I don't think BN is a bad game or anything, it's just... not for me you know?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

i write this essay every few years but, honestly, my god, I do believe what I say. realism is misapplied for any game, C:DDA especially.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2023, 04:36:42 am by Salmeuk »

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #972 on: March 07, 2023, 12:45:40 pm »

As it's been said before: realism is only good when it compliments gameplay, not detracts from it. And often with DDA, realism only gets prioritized when it'd be detrimental to the player in some way.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #973 on: March 07, 2023, 09:00:13 pm »

Not gonna read all that, skimmed it and I don't see what you are getting at. Yes I play for the simulationism. I don't care about gamifying the mechanics. Of course full realism is impossible but just having many uses for everything is good enough for me, it doesn't need to be objective. Sure it stifles roleplaying a bit but meh I don't care. Good thing there's a fork you can play if you don't like that. Your problem?

As it's been said before: realism is only good when it compliments gameplay, not detracts from it. And often with DDA, realism only gets prioritized when it'd be detrimental to the player in some way.
Ah yes, that's exactly why they put off implementing hygiene until it can be automated away specifically so it's not a pain in the ass to do every day. Or why we don't have mechanics for shitting or wanking. If it doesn't affect gameplay in any good way they indeed don't implement it.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2023, 09:20:43 pm by KittyTac »

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #974 on: March 07, 2023, 10:23:42 pm »

You really do take any criticism of DDA way too personally. As for my point, shall I start bringing up the long list of random things removed because "it's unrealistic" to start with? Hell, first page of PRs we got an example someone made just recently.

God where to start with this thing?.
The lobotomizer goes back all the way back to PR #9866 when it was added alongside some other tool recipes, it's based on a tool/weapon used in the book World War Z. I don't want to bash someone else's judgement especially from ten years ago but I have no idea why it got in, let alone stayed around this long. The damage in of itself is absurd (37 cut) and there was even a picture supplied in the PR which looks absolutely ridiculous. After considering rebalancing it I decided it would be better to delete it entirely.

Or of course we could bring up the obligatory example of proficiencies. There's really no defending how it's structured. It's PURELY negative balancing, it functions solely to introduce added tedium in the form of time multipliers and extra craft failures. Best part is, hypothetically you could use the added penalties to justify decreasing the baseline, on the realism basis that the original times were representative of the time an inexperienced craftsman would require, but I've yet to see an actual example of them doing this. The base time for recipes, especially smithing recipes, still lean towards starting off massively inflated and only get worse from there.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 73