Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 43

Author Topic: Amazing Cultivation Simulator  (Read 125906 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: Amazing Cultivation Simulator
« Reply #375 on: January 22, 2021, 01:47:57 am »

At least I've learned the art of abusing the room/fengshui system so there's that.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Doesn't the Feng Shui system only count exterior doors?  So that your layout with many interior doors does not in fact respect Feng Shui?

Plant some grain: It'll help with branch expansion.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: January 22, 2021, 03:18:00 am »

If you're not already doing so, start investing in branches asap. They cost only a little bit of common materials to get set up, and they will provide you with massive amounts of inspiration and tons of easy recruits.

Are you talking about branches, or shrines? Because they are two different things and I haven't tried making a branch yet.

At least I've learned the art of abusing the room/fengshui system so there's that.

Doesn't the Feng Shui system only count exterior doors?  So that your layout with many interior doors does not in fact respect Feng Shui?

The way I understand it. It counts the door closest to the outside as the door to the outside. And if there are two doors, and one door leads to a fengshui room while the other leads outside, it won't cause leakage.

I can't really see how this can be abused though.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: January 22, 2021, 04:35:40 am »

Are you talking about branches, or shrines? Because they are two different things and I haven't tried making
He means agencies (which may be the same thing as shrines?), which is where you build a little extra settlement and get permanent bonus resources from it. Its important to start them as early as possible cause they take *ages* to grow to max and there isn't really any way to speed it up.

Branches (especially the cultivation branch which you should set up as soon as you can) are very helpful as well, but you need to get to 2k reputation for those, so they certainly aren't starting material.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: January 22, 2021, 06:18:21 am »

But making a branch seems like it requires leeching talent from my main sect. I don't want to lose decent characters, but I also don't want to fill a branch with weak characters. Like.... isn't an alchemy branch best when filled with people skilled in alchemy?

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: January 22, 2021, 10:01:57 am »

Send your inner out to camp and enter any map that looks like it would have some people in it. Spend a little bit of time playing the social mini-game, just enough to get them up to the 60% affinity soft-cap; at that point you can invite them back to your sect. Check the stats of everyone on the map, take note of people with high Qi Sense and attributes, and earmark them to be your new inner cultivators. Also, if you don't already have them, pick out a skilled crafter, a chef, and a couple of farmers, and make them permanent outer disciples. And grab a few people with useless stats whom you can send off to populate the shrines. Once you get shrines set up in a city, you'll be able to instantly recruit from large pools of disciples without needing to bother with the social mini-game.

You can replace the shrine members at any time, so there's no harm in getting them started with useless people. Once you're able to mass-recruit you'll have a much easier time replacing them with suitable staff.

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: January 22, 2021, 11:03:00 am »

Plant some grain: It'll help with branch expansion.

The above base is all very auspacious and leading to blessed fengshui(this bit me in the ass and got me blessed with reputation leading to two magic guys attacking me on day 26 which I only won against because a tiger yaoguai was targetted and he could kite their artifacts). Basically only doors leading outdoors or a room without fengshui count as potentially problematic. There are buildings that make the room have fengshui without giving a room type, like the observatory, training dummies, or water jars. I abused this to interconnect everything without causing any issues or needing a specific layout

For branches and agencies don't I need to dedicate an inner or outer to running them? I'm pretty low on manpower right now and not sure how to get more people outside of random events.

Edit: Also, for creating artifacts it seems I need an object with a rather ludicrous amount of Qi. How is this achieved? With a room just like the cultivation one but with a display at its center for the item of choice?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2021, 11:43:07 am by Ygdrad »
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: January 22, 2021, 11:44:50 am »

Edit: Also, for creating artifacts it seems I need an object with a rather ludicrous amount of Qi. How is this achieved? With a room just like the cultivation one but with a display at its center for the item of choice?
The item doesn't need the Qi, the crafter does.

Edit: The amount of Qi depends on the materials of whatever you're trying to turn into an artifact, btw. The very first artifacts made by a brand-new inner are going to be shitty (possibly literally - poop is a valid artifact), but only require a couple hundred Qi. As you get stronger and stronger inners, you can move up to more exotic materials.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2021, 01:54:21 pm by AlStar »

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: January 22, 2021, 02:44:53 pm »

The item doesn't need the Qi, the crafter does.

Edit: The amount of Qi depends on the materials of whatever you're trying to turn into an artifact, btw. The very first artifacts made by a brand-new inner are going to be shitty (possibly literally - poop is a valid artifact), but only require a couple hundred Qi. As you get stronger and stronger inners, you can move up to more exotic materials.

More specifically, the Qi cost depends upon the tier of the item you are crafting.
Offcut is a common tier-1 item that can be obtained in any element easily early on, making it a popular choice for first artifacts.

The Qi within the material does actually impact the final result, and yes the method for building it up is just to put a pedestal in the middle of a cultivation room. However, you need a LOT of Qi just to get small returns, making it not at all worthwhile early on. Also, the stat affected is the Max Qi of the final artifact, which some people prefer to keep low to take advantage of the negated excess damage when an artifact gets drained.

For branches and agencies don't I need to dedicate an inner or outer to running them? I'm pretty low on manpower right now and not sure how to get more people outside of random events.

You need to send an outer disciple. See my post directly above yours, recruiting people is fairly easy once you get the social minigame figured out. You can try to learn the favorites of various sect leaders while your at it, which will allow you to gain access to their areas.

Herbs, abilities from other laws, and breaking through are the ways to boost your cultivator's Qi pool. Another reason to get started on that herb garden asap!

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: January 22, 2021, 03:12:44 pm »

Anyone know if surrounding herb gardens with spirit wood does anything? The herb descriptions say "only grows in a place with a certain amount of Qi". And when I grow a patch of spirit grass near a giant ginko, it glows blue at night.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: January 22, 2021, 03:42:58 pm »

People in the Discord usually say that Qi Gathering items help herbs. I placed several spirit woods next to my herb garden when I first planted them, and saw absolutely no difference in growth rate between the herbs next to the wood and the herbs away from the wood.
It may be that because I planted my herb garden on spirit soil, they were already in optimal Qi and couldn't get any better. Or maybe Qi concentration items only affect chance of rare harvests, and not growth rate. Needs further testing.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: January 23, 2021, 05:11:08 am »

Started a new game, after my last one got wiped by big snek. This map has a pretty good start: two large patches of spirit soil(last map had none at all) right near the start, one of which has two giant ginkoes next to each other. A mountain in the west has two massive veins, one of iron, the other igneocopper. Decent amounts of everything else.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: January 24, 2021, 11:46:28 am »

Started a new game, after my last one got wiped by big snek. This map has a pretty good start: two large patches of spirit soil(last map had none at all) right near the start, one of which has two giant ginkoes next to each other. A mountain in the west has two massive veins, one of iron, the other igneocopper. Decent amounts of everything else.

I wish there was a way or a mod like in rimworld to reroll your starting map or at least save your characters so you don't have to spend ages rerolling your characters right if you get a bad map :/

Edit: Anyone know where one can get renewable ice crystal ore? Some place you can get it form adventures or entering a zone? the ever increasing need for a bigger or better fridge ate all of my starting supply.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 11:49:36 am by Ygdrad »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: January 24, 2021, 12:10:09 pm »

You can buy it from one sect or another, iirc (though I think there's also one or two that'll trade soul pearls if you get on their good side, which is several times better at cooling stuff). There's an easy few hundred in one or two of the northern areas, too, off the top of my head.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: January 24, 2021, 12:15:02 pm »

You can buy it from one sect or another, iirc (though I think there's also one or two that'll trade soul pearls if you get on their good side, which is several times better at cooling stuff). There's an easy few hundred in one or two of the northern areas, too, off the top of my head.

trading has been iffy, ive got no idea what to make for good money, so far I've been buying goldwood and turning it into bows for some slow profit. Also wondering if anyone has spiritstones for sale/trade aside form the merchant who randomly shows up.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: January 24, 2021, 12:18:48 pm »

Definitely look at entering maps to gather resources early on. It's one time only, but you can collect several hundreds of most basic resources that way.

The agency in the far north has ice crystal ore. When adventuring for resources, it helps a lot if you can send a cultivator with an element that feeds the resource you are trying to gather. So a metal cultivator to gather the water-element ice crystal.

Camp and Enter Resources - Google Doc

trading has been iffy, ive got no idea what to make for good money, so far I've been buying goldwood and turning it into bows for some slow profit.

Goldwood bows do seem to be the best available direct trading loop.
If a merchant comes and you're able to sell some wares for spirit stones, then crafting spirit stone spears/bows will multiply the value of your assets very rapidly. But of course that is dependant upon a trader showing up first, and him actually wanting to buy whatever you've been stockpiling.
I absolutely recommend planting a few fields of cotton and setting a loom with an infinite job weaving cotton into fabric. When a trader shows up wanting to buy that fabric, you'll be set on spirit stones for years to come.

Also, side-note on that goldwood loop, start using that surplus goldwood as your default material for all walls and lamps and decorations. It's about 6x more attractive than regular timber.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 12:29:11 pm by Folly »
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 43