Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 122

Author Topic: BYOR 15: Game Over - Mafia Win (Kinda?)  (Read 101368 times)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: BYOR 15: Day 1 - The Badge Seller
« Reply #270 on: December 25, 2020, 10:36:07 pm »

*Read his previous post*

I disagree with everything you said:
  • In a game like mafia, words are actions.
  • Mafia is too logical for something as emotional as a gambling metaphor.
  • Walls of text are annoying, but they put you in the spotlight, which is not something scum like to do. In the games I played in, the scum meta often involved keeping their presence minimal and letting the town tear itself apart, though the veterans here might not play that way.

I let this pass cause you're a newbie.

I would've agree with the whole mafia is a logical game and all if this was a normal mafia game with no shenanigans involve. But this isn't that type of game and when you think about it Mafia is all emotional than logical. We're always gambling our moves. Like, who should I trust? Who should I protect? Who should I kill? What we do has reward and consequences. Like what I'm doing right now is risky. I won't be doing any townread as it doesn't mean anything to me. Will it make me look scum? Yeah, but if you think I'm scum then you're emotionally thinking rather than logically. Hence unravelling the facade that Mafia is all my rational thinking.

As I said I'm going to put all my trust on IcyTea31. As it's the most townie thing to do. Trust is important to me.

"I'm not going to do any townreads."

Immediately does a townread in lieu of anything else

You can see my issue with this, right?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Luckyowl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • https://imgur.com/a/Bjjtz.png
« Reply #271 on: December 25, 2020, 10:38:57 pm »

*Read his previous post*

I disagree with everything you said:
  • In a game like mafia, words are actions.
  • Mafia is too logical for something as emotional as a gambling metaphor.
  • Walls of text are annoying, but they put you in the spotlight, which is not something scum like to do. In the games I played in, the scum meta often involved keeping their presence minimal and letting the town tear itself apart, though the veterans here might not play that way.

I let this pass cause you're a newbie.

I would've agree with the whole mafia is a logical game and all if this was a normal mafia game with no shenanigans involve. But this isn't that type of game and when you think about it Mafia is all emotional than logical. We're always gambling our moves. Like, who should I trust? Who should I protect? Who should I kill? What we do has reward and consequences. Like what I'm doing right now is risky. I won't be doing any townread as it doesn't mean anything to me. Will it make me look scum? Yeah, but if you think I'm scum then you're emotionally thinking rather than logically. Hence unravelling the facade that Mafia is all my rational thinking.

As I said I'm going to put all my trust on IcyTea31. As it's the most townie thing to do. Trust is important to me.

"I'm not going to do any townreads."

Immediately does a townread in lieu of anything else

You can see my issue with this, right?

As humans we can be capricious. *shrug*

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: December 25, 2020, 10:40:48 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'm trying to process this post.

I can't.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: December 25, 2020, 10:41:49 pm »

Okay, then, direct it is again.

Give me some scumreads, Luckyowl.  You have no excuse for having zero suspicions OR not doing anything about suspicions at this point.  You're not even voting.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Luckyowl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: December 25, 2020, 10:43:40 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'm trying to process this post.

I can't.

I don't know what's hard to understand?  You don't agree that night action can have risk?

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: December 25, 2020, 10:46:43 pm »

Heydude:  Considering you can only get PMed when Web is around to process the action, that level of metagaming is not likely to yield useful intel.

I am almost certain though that the PM was sent in response to my big post. It's clearly rattled a few feathers. Let me post some details so town knows what they should be looking out for.

EDIT: Removed info
« Last Edit: December 25, 2020, 10:56:15 pm by heydude6 »
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: December 25, 2020, 10:49:42 pm »

Uh . . . Heydude, you can't copy stuff from mod PMs. Period.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: December 25, 2020, 10:50:15 pm »

Look closer
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: December 25, 2020, 10:51:35 pm »

I probably didn't change enough in hindsight...

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: December 25, 2020, 10:52:19 pm »

The rules only said not to quote. I didn't quote, but damn...

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: December 25, 2020, 10:52:45 pm »

Should have Pmed web first and asked him if it was okay.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: December 25, 2020, 10:54:17 pm »

Suddenly, Nirur Torir walks in. Caz runs up to them and tags out, then runs out the door and into the night.

Nirur Torir has replaced Caz.

Vote Count
------------------------
4maskwolf - juicebox*,
dolores - TricMagic*, ToonyMan*,
FallacyofUrist - 4maskwolf*, dolores*, Vector*, heydude6*,
heydude6 -
IcyTea31 - IcyTea31*, FallacyofUrist*, Jim Groovester*, Toaster*,
Jim Groovester -
juicebox -
Leafsnail -
Luckyowl -
Nirur Torir -
NJW2000 -
notquitethere -
Toaster -
ToonyMan -
TricMagic - Leafsnail*,
Vector -
No Lynch -

Not Voting - notquitethere, Luckyowl, NJW2000, Nirur Torir,

9 To Hammer. Days ends December 29th, 2020 at 19:00 CST (~90 hours from this post.)

Sorry this vote count is late. There was a bug I had to fix because you guys insist on calling FallacyofUrist "Fallacy of Urist", and the name parser doesn't like it.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: December 25, 2020, 10:54:34 pm »

"No Quoting of the Mod in relation to PMs. You are free to quote anything in the thread. You may paraphrase your PM, but if you break this rule, you will be penalized in ways you won't like."

You mean specifically that you misspelled the dude's name? No . . . you definitely broke the rule. Calm down, kiddo, everyone makes mistakes. We'll see what happens.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: December 25, 2020, 10:55:21 pm »

Heydude:  Considering you can only get PMed when Web is around to process the action, that level of metagaming is not likely to yield useful intel.

I am almost certain though that the PM was sent in response to my big post. It's clearly rattled a few feathers. Let me post some details so town knows what they should be looking out for.

EDIT: Removed the bad part, may be too late. Pmed the original to web.

Luckyowl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: December 25, 2020, 10:55:29 pm »

Okay, then, direct it is again.

Give me some scumreads, Luckyowl.  You have no excuse for having zero suspicions OR not doing anything about suspicions at this point.  You're not even voting.

I say you can be scum. Because it's possible for you to be scum. Just as it's possible for me, anyone else to be scum.  If you're not satisfy by that. And most likely you won't. I apologize.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 122